"It shouldn't be illegal for people with AIDS to spit at, bite or throw blood at "

When I went into nursing in the 80s, no one wore gloves except for either sterile or very dirty procedures. Hepatitis B was around then and Hep C was called 'non a non b.' But gloving was not required until AIDS. It was the early 90s when OSHA started fining facilities for things like nurses doing procedures ungloved, and for capped needles.

SS

You've moved quite off the topic of this thread. It doesn't matter why any of these laws exist, it only matters that the law in the OP is based on nonsense.

If you are a nurse, you must have at least enough basic understanding of diseases that you'd know that the only vectors of transmission for AIDS are blood-to-blood contact, breast milk, and sex.

Not biting or spitting.

perhaps because the laws reflect ignorance.

so, doctor pork chop, why are health care personnel required to shield themselves from all body fluids and with failure to do so resulting in fines on the facility osha into the tens of thousands of dollars?

And why are they required to gown and glove when reconstituting freeze dried factor viii in case the vacuum packed bottle explode and infect them?

Been there, had to do all of that.

Ss

hate speech! Ignorant bigot!

Curious, so how did that dentist infect his patients? Was it all a lie?

It should be illegal for people with infectious diseases to bite other people. Is this really debatable?

Of course it is. The law is nonsense because the law is specific to AIDS, and AIDS can't be transmitted by "biting".

If the person doing the biting is bleeding from the mouth it most assuredly can.

SS

You're right, it's physically possible. But I doubt you'll be able to find a single example of it ever happening.

Not by spitting on them, biting them, or throwing blood at them.

The dentist in question didn't clean his tools between patients.

Perhaps because the laws reflect ignorance.

So, doctor pork chop, why are health care personnel required to shield themselves from ALL body fluids and with failure to do so resulting in fines on the facility OSHA into the tens of thousands of dollars?

And why are they required to gown and glove when reconstituting freeze dried factor VIII in case the vacuum packed bottle explode and infect them?

SS

Are you ignorant enough to not know there are many many infectious diseayyses out there?

Are you ignorant enough to think that AIDS isn't one of them?

So it's not possible to throw blood onto someone who has a cut?

How did the dentist's own HIV get on the tools?

The dentist didn't (doesn't) have HIV. It was transmitted from one patient to another.

And if someone threw AIDS-infected blood at you in an attempt to infect you, that would already be Attempted Murder. Why do we need another useless law?

The dentist didn't (doesn't) have HIV. It was transmitted from one patient to another.

And if someone threw AIDS-infected blood at you in an attempt to infect you, that would already be Attempted Murder. Why do we need another useless law?

Dr. Acer's Sixth Victim : People.com

So why did he die of AIDS in 1990 if hey didn't have HIV?

Apologies, I thought you were referring to a different case. Still doesn't really have anything to do with your OP though.

Dr. pork chop, that is true, it was unsanitary conditions in the Oklahoma City case, but there was one earlier case that I recall in which the dentist had AIDS and transmitted it to the patients.

Kimberly Ann Bergalis (January 9, 1968 – December 8, 1991) was one of six patients infected with HIV after visiting David J. Acer, a dentist who had AIDS.[1] This incident is the first known case of clinical transmission of HIV.

The CDC conducted a phylogenetic analysis of the DNA sequences of the viral envelope gene. The analysis revealed that the viral sequences from five patients, including Bergalis, were more closely related to the dentist's viral sequences than to those from local controls.[6] Later analyses identified another HIV-positive patient with a viral sequence closely related to Acer's.[7][8] Independent review of the CDC tests strengthened the case that Bergalis's HIV infection was linked to Acer.[5]

Kimberly Bergalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SS

Apologies, I thought you were referring to a different case. Still doesn't really have anything to do with your OP though.

How did he infect six of his patients if biting, saliva, or throwing blood on someone can't infect anyone? What happened? Did he have sex with them?

So, doctor pork chop, why are health care personnel required to shield themselves from ALL body fluids and with failure to do so resulting in fines on the facility OSHA into the tens of thousands of dollars?

And why are they required to gown and glove when reconstituting freeze dried factor VIII in case the vacuum packed bottle explode and infect them?

SS

Are you ignorant enough to not know there are many many infectious diseayyses out there?

Are you ignorant enough to think that AIDS isn't one of them?

I started nursing school in 1984. No one was gloving/goggling, etc. then and there were blood borne pathogens then, the most notable is hepatitis. Gloving, and using protective eye ware came about due to AIDS, exclusively. We only gloved on AIDS patients. Then they went to 'universal precautions.' Approach every patient as though he/she can transmit a blood borne pathogen. No exceptions.

How did he infect six of his patients if biting, saliva, or throwing blood on someone can't infect anyone? What happened? Did he have sex with them?

It was 23 years ago, and I wasn't there. So I don't know.

I do understand enough about biology to know that the AIDS virus cannot be transmitted through saliva ever, and that there has never been a case of AIDS being transmitted by biting or throwing blood.

It shouldn't be illegal for innocent Americans to use deadly physical force if necessary to prevent assault and exposure to deadly viruses by crazy infected animals.

It was 23 years ago, and I wasn't there. So I don't know.

I do understand enough about biology to know that the AIDS virus cannot be transmitted through saliva ever, and that there has never been a case of AIDS being transmitted by biting or throwing blood.

So how did he infect not just one, but SIX of his patients? Because it was 20 something years ago it's okay to pretend it didn't happen if admitting it hurts your argument?

It shouldn't be illegal for innocent Americans to use deadly physical force if necessary to prevent assault and exposure to deadly viruses by crazy infected animals.

I don't even know where to begin...

Are you really that afraid? Do you really thing there are people with AIDS hiding in the shadows trying to infect you?

Forum List

Back