🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Joe Montana is the best QB who has ever played

Marino covered up a lot of really shitty reads on account of being the most accurate passer to ever play the game. But make no mistake about it, had he been able to read a defense as well as Montana or Brady, he'd probably have about 5 SB rings.

*** Pass just off the fingertips of Mark Duper, meanwhile, back in the huddle ***

Marino: "Why the fuck didn't you catch that?, It hit your hands, you should have caught it!"

Duper: "Fuck you, you make all the money, hit me in the numbers!"

True story .....

*** Pass just off the fingertips of Mark Duper, meanwhile, back in the huddle ***

Marino: "Why the fuck didn't you catch that?, It hit your hands, you should have caught it!"

Duper: "Fuck you, you make all the money, hit me in the numbers!"

True story .....

LOL

He has a point

Rivers is not comparable to Marino. He is the latest incarnation of Dan Fouts and John Hadl. San Diego QBs who put up awesome numbers and couldn't win in the play offs. Big passing numbers come with playing in San Diego. So does failing in the play offs

Rod Carew is not an all time great. He is not even top 20. Singles hitter who got 3000 hits. Since we are talking San Diego, Tony Gwynn was much better than Carew

You really need to get off this san diego trip.Rivers has won some playoff games so whats your point? :cuckoo:Your the one that keeps talking about putting up big numbers but cant win the big game so AGAIN,Marino is in the same boat as Rivers is if you are going to keep saying he isnt as good as Rodgers for not winning the superbowl.:cuckoo:

and you got to be joking about Carew,he is easily an all time great.maybe not in the top 20 but for sure in the top 30 which is still a great accomplishment..One of the best clutch hitters ever.again you need to get off this san diego trip thing,but since you bring up Gwynn,he wasnt that great a hitter either then according to you since he never made it to the world series.:cuckoo: this is really getting tiresome going round and round with you on this.

Rivers is a very good QB. There is one thing holding him back from being an all time great QB....He never led his team to a championship. More than a first baseman who gets five plate appearances a game, A QB touches the ball on every snap. He is the one, fairly or not, who is judged on "winning the big one"
Over time, Rivers may put up numbers comparable to Marino. Maybe win an MVP. But like Marino, he would be considered a very, very good QB, but not an all time great

Marino had better skills than Montana, Staubach, Elway, Bradshaw but never had that huge highlight in a big game to be his signature play. Rivers is in the same boat

I don't think Rivers would have survived in the league during the era of Those guys you mentioned when you could really lay the lumber to receivers, bump and run, stick 'em, and what have you. Not his fault he wasn't playing back then. As for today, I'd take him in a fantasy draft but if I were building a team; he'd not be my first or second choice.

I remember Marino having a release that was textbook and accuracy that was almost video-gamish. Nobody will make that analogy for Rivers--for the time being.

Rivers is not comparable to Marino. He is the latest incarnation of Dan Fouts and John Hadl. San Diego QBs who put up awesome numbers and couldn't win in the play offs. Big passing numbers come with playing in San Diego. So does failing in the play offs

Rod Carew is not an all time great. He is not even top 20. Singles hitter who got 3000 hits. Since we are talking San Diego, Tony Gwynn was much better than Carew

You really need to get off this san diego trip.Rivers has won some playoff games so whats your point? :cuckoo:Your the one that keeps talking about putting up big numbers but cant win the big game so AGAIN,Marino is in the same boat as Rivers is if you are going to keep saying he isnt as good as Rodgers for not winning the superbowl.:cuckoo:

and you got to be joking about Carew,he is easily an all time great.maybe not in the top 20 but for sure in the top 30 which is still a great accomplishment..One of the best clutch hitters ever.again you need to get off this san diego trip thing,but since you bring up Gwynn,he wasnt that great a hitter either then according to you since he never made it to the world series.:cuckoo: this is really getting tiresome going round and round with you on this.

Rivers is a very good QB. There is one thing holding him back from being an all time great QB....He never led his team to a championship. More than a first baseman who gets five plate appearances a game, A QB touches the ball on every snap. He is the one, fairly or not, who is judged on "winning the big one"
Over time, Rivers may put up numbers comparable to Marino. Maybe win an MVP. But like Marino, he would be considered a very, very good QB, but not an all time great

Marino had better skills than Montana, Staubach, Elway, Bradshaw but never had that huge highlight in a big game to be his signature play. Rivers is in the same boat

Yeah but you keep missing the point that its a TEAM game,that a quarterback cant win the game entirely by himself.Those people that say a quarterback is not great because he doesnt win the big one are idiots.Like I said before,if they go by that logic then they would have to say that Jim Kelly and Fran Tarkenton are not great quarterbacks.

Is it Rivers fault that Nate Kaeding choked in that playoff game against the jets and missed that easy field goal in the final minutes? Tom Brady if he had Kaeding for a field goal kicker all those years,he never would have won those 3 superbowls in the fact that they were all decided by a field goal.Only difference is that his field goal kicker he had those years was one of the most accurate field goal kickers in NFL history and WOULD make those clutch kicks. Drew Brees got wise by leaving the chargers.He would probably still be stuck with no superbowl ring if he stayed.Kaeding cost HIM a chance of going to the superbowl when he was with the chargers when Kaeding choked back then in a field goal attempt again in the final minutes which ironically was against the jets as well remember? Seems like facing the jets in a playoff game makes kaeding choke.

Marino covered up a lot of really shitty reads on account of being the most accurate passer to ever play the game. But make no mistake about it, had he been able to read a defense as well as Montana or Brady, he'd probably have about 5 SB rings.

yeah that was what kept him from making it back to the superbowl was he wasnt very good at reading defenses like Montana,Brady or Manning.thats why he always stunk it up in the playoffs every year after that.

Enough on Rivers already. The guy is a good QB and will in all probability win a championship eventually. When he does, we can discuss how he stacks up with the all time greats.

Until then, Joe Montana is still the best QB of all time in big games.

What is it with the hype of Rivers? He's a good QB-but somehow he gets really overrated (not just on here). I still take Brady, P. Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, Vick (and I think he's very overrated) and Rodgers over him any day.

Rivers may be the best QB in the NFL right now without a ring, I guess it can be debated-but even if he won a ring, he'd still be at the bottom among current superbowl winning QBs, with only Eli not being as good as him.

What is it with the hype of Rivers? He's a good QB-but somehow he gets really overrated (not just on here). I still take Brady, P. Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, Vick (and I think he's very overrated) and Rodgers over him any day.

Rivers may be the best QB in the NFL right now without a ring, I guess it can be debated-but even if he won a ring, he'd still be at the bottom among current superbowl winning QBs, with only Eli not being as good as him.

Its unlikely; The AFC West is notorious for teams not playing defense. Denver was outscored by 127 points in 16 games. Scientists tell us that is something like 8 points per game. And San Diego got to play them twice.

The strength of schedule bottom dwellers according to pro-football-reference.com:

Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers
Kansas City Chiefs

They all played each other twice. Not surprisingly, KC made the playoffs; the easiest schedule in the AFC.

River's success is well deserved; he doesn't make the schedule and he doesn't pick his spots. He isn't overly blessed with a once-in-a-generation wide receiver (unless you count Gates). But really, what quarterback in 2010 does have a Jerry Rice as a target?

His success should not also be confused with him being a world beater. In the weakest division in the AFC, his team didn't make the playoffs. Not a ringing endorsement.

I don't think Vick would be ahead of Rivers but I'm comfortable with the rest of your list. I'd probably add Ryan.

Rivers will get his chances. SD is still a strong team in a weak division

Just needs to step it up in the playoffs. He has been a noshow so far

Losing to the Jets at home?

You are wrong. Peyton Manning is the best QB to even stand behind center. If he stays healthy, he will break every record in the book. And I am not a Colts fan.

I'm not sure who I'd put on my Mt. Rushmore of all time greatest QBs. With quarterbacks, I think there are some intangibles that require your having seen them play, appreciating their situation, and ultimately factoring those intangibles into a group of subjective data that adds or subtracts from the decision.

For example, I don't think Steve Young is worthy of being on my Mt. Rushmore of 4 greatest QBs? Why? He never started until Montana left. He would have likely started for 27 other football teams but the point is; he didn't. Fate!

If you look at passing yards alone, Drew Bledsoe is #8 all time with 44,611 yards. Anybody want to put him in their Top 10 based on that objective data alone?

I would definitely put Montana on there. Along with Marino, Elway, and Brady. Obviously, I think the best active QB is Tom Brady who is just a machine when it comes to performing on the field.

Theres room for more on the mountain for more but if you're going with a top 4 of all time in the last 40 years or so; I think you can't do much better than these gentlemen.

I'm not sure who I'd put on my Mt. Rushmore of all time greatest QBs. With quarterbacks, I think there are some intangibles that require your having seen them play, appreciating their situation, and ultimately factoring those intangibles into a group of subjective data that adds or subtracts from the decision.

For example, I don't think Steve Young is worthy of being on my Mt. Rushmore of 4 greatest QBs? Why? He never started until Montana left. He would have likely started for 27 other football teams but the point is; he didn't. Fate!

If you look at passing yards alone, Drew Bledsoe is #8 all time with 44,611 yards. Anybody want to put him in their Top 10 based on that objective data alone?

I would definitely put Montana on there. Along with Marino, Elway, and Brady. Obviously, I think the best active QB is Tom Brady who is just a machine when it comes to performing on the field.

Theres room for more on the mountain for more but if you're going with a top 4 of all time in the last 40 years or so; I think you can't do much better than these gentlemen.

I would find room for Peyton Manning

If we want to go Old School

1. Johnny Unitas
2. Otto Graham
3. Sammy Baugh
4. Bart Starr

Peyton Manning....wow; I would feel very comfortable with him as my quarterback any day of the week. I think if Mount Rushmore had 5 heads, Peyton's may well be there....but let me ask you this; is he better than Brady? I don't think so--just my personal opinion. If you're not the best QB in the league when you played; I don't think your mug goes up there. Just a subjective choice on my part.

1. Johnny Unitas
2. Otto Graham
3. Sammy Baugh
4. Bart Starr

Can't comment; didn't see any of them really play. As I said earlier, I think when judging a QB, you have to take into account some intangibles that you don't really have to take into account when you're picking the greatest pitchers or basketball players or cornerbacks. Theres leadership for sure but I go more into the era. Joe Montana did his business when the books were more evenly balanced between the offense and defense. Lester Hayes used to do things to receivers that would get you arrested today. I have a slightly more jaundiced view of today's QBs who get all sorts of benefits from the referees. Michael Irvin spent 1/2 the game pushing off of his defenders.

I'm sure that the guys you mentioned above would be licking their chops to get out there today when you can't touch a wide receiver. Can you imagine Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome in today's NFL? They'd be unstoppable!

1. Johnny Unitas
2. Otto Graham
3. Sammy Baugh
4. Bart Starr

Can't comment; didn't see any of them really play. As I said earlier, I think when judging a QB, you have to take into account some intangibles that you don't really have to take into account when you're picking the greatest pitchers or basketball players or cornerbacks. Theres leadership for sure but I go more into the era. Joe Montana did his business when the books were more evenly balanced between the offense and defense. Lester Hayes used to do things to receivers that would get you arrested today. I have a slightly more jaundiced view of today's QBs who get all sorts of benefits from the referees. Michael Irvin spent 1/2 the game pushing off of his defenders.

I'm sure that the guys you mentioned above would be licking their chops to get out there today when you can't touch a wide receiver. Can you imagine Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome in today's NFL? They'd be unstoppable!

No doubt you can't compare between eras. QBs are pampered now, so are the receivers....makes for some big passing numbers

A QB has to lead. You can have a million dollar arm but if you have a ten cent brain you will never go anywhere. You also have to have heart. Joe Montana had the most heart of any QB I ever saw....just a will to win

A QB also has to run the offense he is asked to run. If it is a run first and pass later offense, his numbers will not be as good. But if he wins...who cares?

Peyton Manning....wow; I would feel very comfortable with him as my quarterback any day of the week. I think if Mount Rushmore had 5 heads, Peyton's may well be there....but let me ask you this; is he better than Brady? I don't think so--just my personal opinion. If you're not the best QB in the league when you played; I don't think your mug goes up there. Just a subjective choice on my part.

I think Manning's better than Brady.He's able to adapt and react to plays/games better than Brady. But you certainly can make the argument either way. They're both the top 2 QBs in the game right now-I think it just depends on who you prefer.

I think Manning's better than Brady.He's able to adapt and react to plays/games better than Brady. But you certainly can make the argument either way. They're both the top 2 QBs in the game right now-I think it just depends on who you prefer.

Yep, Manning's stats bury Brady's. Manning has done so much without a decent running game, and with no name guys at WR. Without a doubt recently. I will give credit to Brady for the Superbowls under his belt, Montana as well who I think is top 3, even though he had the best WR ever. However, I think when it's all said and done, Manning will go down as the best ever. Anyone who understands the game of Football and that position understands this fact. ~BH

Forum List

Back