John Kelly calls Robert E. Lee an "honorable man"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we abolished slavery on a whimsical change of the Constitution? lol, good one.

There was no "whimsical" change to the constitution.

The goal of a slavery-free country was boldly stated in our Declaration of Independence. There was never a question that our Founding Fathers sought a slave-free country but that it was impossible at that moment in time.

FYI

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America
w.gif
hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.​

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

[...]

The Declaration of Independence: Full text

Last edited:
So we abolished slavery on a whimsical change of the Constitution? lol, good one.

There was no "whimsical" change to the constitution.

The goal of a slavery-free country was boldly stated in our Declaration of Independence. There was never a question that our Founding Fathers sought a slave-free country but that it was impossible at that moment in time.

FYI

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America
w.gif
hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

[...]

The Declaration of Independence: Full text

I didn't introduce the word 'whimsical' into the conversation.

Lincoln had chosen Lee because the both of them had the same view or opinion on slavery.
That's stupid.

" Each states was like a country. Lee did not want to abandoned the state that he loved, Virginia."

No, we were the UNITED States, and though loyalty to state was stronger in the earlier years, they all recognized they were not sovereign entities.

Nope. In all authority not mandated to the federal government by the Constitution or denied to the states, the states were and now remain sovereign.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Right there. ^ Not sovereign.

And here:

U. S. Constitution Article 1 section 10:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

^ Prohibiting States from actions that any Sovereign, independent State has the right to engage in.

To add: Supremacy Clause.

Shall I go on?

Lee did not want to abandoned the state that he loved, Virginia.
Lee had a choice between fighting to protect slavery, or not fighting to protect slavery.

He made the dishonorable choice.

Fuck that blood-soaked pig.
/—-/ Yankees complain the South is still fighting the Civil War ...

Really?
/—-/ Yes. I grew up in the South and moved to NY. It’s what I hear.

You must run in strange circles, ‘cause I’ve lived up here almost all my life and I never hear anything like that.

OK, I will. :)

SCOTUS making it clear States were not Sovereign once they joined the Union.

Chisholm v. Georgia (1793), Chief Justice John Jay stated that the Constitution was established directly by the people. Jay noted the language of the Preamble of the Constitution, which says that the Constitution was ordained and established by "We the people," and stated: "Here we see the people acting as sovereigns of the whole country, and, in the language of sovereignty, establishing a Constitution by which it was their will that the State governments should be bound."[9]

Fletcher v. Peck, (1810)
the U.S. Supreme Court ruled, "But Georgia cannot be viewed as a single, unconnected, sovereign power, on whose legislature no other restrictions are imposed than may be found in its own constitution. She is a part of a large empire; she is a member of the American union; and that union has a constitution the supremacy of which all acknowledge, and which imposes limits to the legislatures of the several states, which none claim a right to pass." [10 U.S. 87, 136]

McCullough v. Maryland, (1819)
......"The government proceeds directly from the people; is 'ordained and established' in the name of the people, and is declared to be ordained, 'in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, and secure the blessings of liberty to themselves and to their posterity.' . . . It required not the affirmance, and could not be negatived, by the State Governments. [17 U.S. 316, 402-404]

Gibbons v. Ogden, (1824)
the Court ruled, "When these allied sovereigns converted their league into a government, when they converted their Congress of Ambassadors, deputed to deliberate on their common concerns, the whole character in which the States appear, underwent a change." [22 U.S. 1, 187]

Cohens v. Virginia (1821)
"That the United States form, for many, and for most important purposes, a single nation, has not yet been denied. In war, we are one people. In making peace, we are one people. In all commercial regulations, we are one and the same people. . .. America has chosen to be, in many respects, and to many purposes, a nation; and for all these purposes, her government is complete; to all these objects it is competent. The people have declared, that in the exercise of all the powers given for these objects, it is supreme. . . . The constitution and laws of a State, so far as they are repugnant to the constitution and laws of the United States, are absolutely void. These States are constituent parts of the United States. They are members of one great empire." [19 U.S. 264, 413-414]

Lee did not want to abandoned the state that he loved, Virginia.
Lee had a choice between fighting to protect slavery, or not fighting to protect slavery.

Really?

You must run in strange circles, ‘cause I’ve lived up here almost all my life and I never hear anything like that.
/—-/ actually it’s quite common. https://www.amazon.com/Still-Fighting-Civil-War-American/dp/0807129607&tag=ff0d01-20

racism is not exclusively southern. much the northeast is racist. philly and bawztun are racist as shit.

Being racist and fighting a civil war in defense of it are really not the same. The South was fierce about their supremacy.

What sparks a war is rarely what the war is actually about.

The vast majority of the South were not fighting for slaves or racism.

racism is not exclusively southern. much the northeast is racist. philly and bawztun are racist as shit.

Being racist and fighting a civil war in defense of it are really not the same. The South was fierce about their supremacy.

True. Much like today they were whipped up by fake news and fake promises.

Interesting. I mention other issues, and you assume "fake".

Why do you feel a need to put down the perceptive powers and motives of Americans citizens dead for many generations?

Really?

/—-/ actually it’s quite common. https://www.amazon.com/Still-Fighting-Civil-War-American/dp/0807129607&tag=ff0d01-20

I’ve lived up here almost all my life and I never hear anything like that

Why do you feel a need to put down the perceptive powers and motives of Americans citizens dead for many generations?
Because they ended up being stupid losers.

Because they ended up being stupid losers.

Nope. I refuse to believe that you are so pathetic that you need to put long dead people down for losing.

That's too pathetic to draw breath kind of pathetic.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I have a low opinion of you.

But not that low.

WHat is your real reason?

Let me guess, the war was about an industrial economy v. agrarian? Thomas Pynchon made fun of that historical ? very well.

Lee was an honorable man....pick up a history book snowflakes and forget what your gay pride liberal progressive teachers taught you.

Let me guess, the war was about an industrial economy v. agrarian? Thomas Pynchon made fun of that historical ? very well.

War was about a lot of things. Mostly nationalism imo opinion. On both sides.

Or do you believe that hundreds of thousands of northern whites were willing to die for the black man?

The war was all about slavery. Look at it this way. If you removed all of the secondary issues, outside of slavery, that people cite as the causes,

and make it ONLY about slavery, all else being equal, the war still would have happened.

On the other hand, if you removed slavery from the factors, and left only those secondary issues, there's about zero chance the war would ever have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back