John Kelly calls Robert E. Lee an "honorable man"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our modern American Communists insist upon applying 21st Century mores to 19th Century thought. That's how they obfuscate issues.

Isn't that what people do who insist we ought to be following the principles of the Founders?

I know you believe that, but as we are all aware of your chronic ignorance, there is little reason to engage your nonsense.

The Constitution is the national agreement. It does not change to suit your whim.

So how did we manage to abolish slavery?
Slavery isnt abolished. If you go to prison you can be enslaved.

Seriously?
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Kind of sheds light on the aggressive police presence in Black neighborhoods after civil rights passed.

Even Abraham Lincoln had thought that Gen. Lee was a noble man to lead the Union army.

lincoln-and-generalsjpg-40b8dc2d1cc6c907.jpg

President Abraham Lincoln, a month before the war began, promoted Lee. A few weeks later, after Virginia seceded, Lee was offered command of the entire Union army. Lee wrestled with his options for two days -- his wife later said it was "the severest struggle" of her husband's life -- before declining the offer, resigning from the army and accepting command of Virginia's military forces. Robert E. Lee: A brief history of the general atop the Confederate monument
You say that as if Abraham Lincoln doing that makes Lee less of a traitor and racist? It doesnt. Lee still got his ass handed to him and was defeated in his bid to be a traitor. Hell Lincoln offered the south the chance to legalize slavery for eternity in order to keep the union together but they were so paranoid they refused. Lincoln was no hero.
No, Abraham had chosen Gen.Lee because they had the same views on slavery. But in those days, that the states
Even Abraham Lincoln had thought that Gen. Lee was a noble man to lead the Union army.

lincoln-and-generalsjpg-40b8dc2d1cc6c907.jpg

President Abraham Lincoln, a month before the war began, promoted Lee. A few weeks later, after Virginia seceded, Lee was offered command of the entire Union army. Lee wrestled with his options for two days -- his wife later said it was "the severest struggle" of her husband's life -- before declining the offer, resigning from the army and accepting command of Virginia's military forces. Robert E. Lee: A brief history of the general atop the Confederate monument
You say that as if Abraham Lincoln doing that makes Lee less of a traitor and racist? It doesnt. Lee still got his ass handed to him and was defeated in his bid to be a traitor. Hell Lincoln offered the south the chance to legalize slavery for eternity in order to keep the union together but they were so paranoid they refused. Lincoln was no hero.

Lincoln had chosen Lee because the both of them had the same view or opinion on slavery. But in those days, it weren't how it were in these days. Each states was like a country. Lee did not want to abandoned the state that he loved, Virginia. Even Lincoln loved it as well. When the war was over, he walked through Richmond in grief. He told the band while he was there to play that southern song Dixie land.

April 10, 1865: President Lincoln Asks the Band to Play “Dixie”

Another common mistake is to think of and discuss the people in history as a monolithic group as if they all held the same beliefs.

It was just as immoral then as it is now. Many thought and said so. Many risked their lives and livlihoods for the cause of abolition.
What do you base that obvious absurdity on?

If slavery were just as immoral then ("then" being the 1600s in the British colonies of America and well beyond in most parts of the world) it could not have remained as commonly accepted a practice as it was -- especially in Africa and in the Middle East (where it continues to this day). Slavery in the early days of liberated America, i.e., the mid 1700s, was acceptable to a substantial percentage of the population, especially to those who directly or indirectly benefited from it. But as the Nation grew in size and strength, and as its society became more educated, more technologically and philosophically sophisticated, the very nature of slavery became proportionately offensive to more and more individuals.

It took until 1865 for the level of widely experienced and acknowledged immorality to abolish something which until then was morally acceptable in most parts of the civilized world.

Obviously, the context is Lee's time.
It's based on historical fact. It's based on the policies and political battles regarding slavery over the decades prior to the war.
Do you believe slavery only became a contentious issue with the start of the war?

Another common mistake is to think of and discuss the people in history as a monolithic group as if they all held the same beliefs.

It was just as immoral then as it is now. Many thought and said so. Many risked their lives and livlihoods for the cause of abolition.
What do you base that obvious absurdity on?

If slavery were just as immoral then ("then" being the 1600s in the British colonies of America and well beyond in most parts of the world) it could not have remained as commonly accepted a practice as it was -- especially in Africa and in the Middle East (where it continues to this day). Slavery in the early days of liberated America, i.e., the mid 1700s, was acceptable to a substantial percentage of the population, especially to those who directly or indirectly benefited from it. But as the Nation grew in size and strength, and as its society became more educated, more technologically and philosophically sophisticated, the very nature of slavery became proportionately offensive to more and more individuals.

It took until 1865 for the level of widely experienced and acknowledged immorality to abolish something which until then was morally acceptable in most parts of the civilized world.

Obviously, the context is Lee's time.
It's based on historical fact. It's based on the policies and political battles regarding slavery over the decades prior to the war.
Do you believe slavery only became a contentious issue with the start of the war?
OT, Colbert did a Chuck Conners Branded opening to Kelly yesterday. LOL

It might be possible for a person to have held slaves in a largely benevolent manner - as Lee's letter to the NYT about his wife's inherited slaves attempted to claim - but then the person would have to treat the slaves benevolently. Very likely the individuals would lack the skills or legal standing to survive outside the legal structure, but Lee had runaway slaves recaptured and given 20-50 lashes depending on their sex.

Men of honor would not have whipped a person who just sought not to be a slave. Lee attempted to find honor is acting as a typical slave owing elite of the South. No way that works.

Lee did not want to abandoned the state that he loved, Virginia.
Lee had a choice between fighting to protect slavery, or not fighting to protect slavery.

He made the dishonorable choice.

Fuck that blood-soaked pig.

Lee had a choice between fighting to protect slavery, or not fighting to protect slavery.

Yep. He apparently thought that slavery would eventually "wear out." But it was worth keeping at the time to protect society.

Isn't that what people do who insist we ought to be following the principles of the Founders?

I know you believe that, but as we are all aware of your chronic ignorance, there is little reason to engage your nonsense.

The Constitution is the national agreement. It does not change to suit your whim.

So how did we manage to abolish slavery?
Slavery isnt abolished. If you go to prison you can be enslaved.

Seriously?
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Kind of sheds light on the aggressive police presence in Black neighborhoods after civil rights passed.

Voluntary servitude is legal and people do that by "confessing" on April 15 every year to pay Peter's Pence......SMH.

so according to liberal historians, abe lincoln was a piece of shit racist because the civil war was all about money, not slavery
so according to liberal historians, robert e lee was a piece of shit racist because the civil war was about slavery, not money
they love to go both ways

so according to liberal historians, abe lincoln was a piece of shit racist because the civil war was all about money, not slavery
so according to liberal historians, robert e lee was a piece of shit racist because the civil war was about slavery, not money
Lincoln didn't own slaves. So there's no analogy there for you.

yes, but lincoln was a piece of shit racist, like trump. trump doesnt own slaves.
here is some light reading for you
Why Did Lincoln Move So Slowly to Abolish Slavery? Because He Was a Racist, This Book Argues.

/—-/ got s list of names? Al Gore Sr? WJ Fullbright?

Yes, Al Gore Sr. was a Dixiecrat. So what? Your father was a child molestor, but I don't visit that on you, do I?

Orval Fabus
Benjamin Travis Laney
John Stennis
James Eastland
Allen Ellender
Russell Long
John Sparkman
John McClellan
Richard Russell
Herman Talmadge
George Wallace
Lester Maddox
John Rarick
Robert Byrd
Al Gore, Sr.
Bull Connor
Strom Thurmon
Jesse Helms
Mills Godwin

Can I get a list of dates of when these Democrats supposedly all became Republicans? By my count, there are 3, Helms, a lifelong Republican, Strom in 1964, and Godwin in 1974. When did all the others switch sides?

/—-/ got s list of names? Al Gore Sr? WJ Fullbright?

Yes, Al Gore Sr. was a Dixiecrat. So what? Your father was a child molestor, but I don't visit that on you, do I?

Orval Fabus
Benjamin Travis Laney
John Stennis
James Eastland
Allen Ellender
Russell Long
John Sparkman
John McClellan
Richard Russell
Herman Talmadge
George Wallace
Lester Maddox
John Rarick
Robert Byrd
Al Gore, Sr.
Bull Connor
Strom Thurmon
Jesse Helms
Mills Godwin

Can I get a list of dates of when these Democrats supposedly all became Republicans? By my count, there are 3, Helms, a lifelong Republican, Strom in 1964, and Godwin in 1974. When did all the others switch sides?

I've asked that same question since I got here. Never a peep.

Best of luck.

one has to own slaves to be a racist? this is new, did you check this opinion out with your liberal friends? i'm not sure it holds up.

In his youth, Lincoln WAS a slave.

/—-/ Yankees complain the South is still fighting the Civil War ...

Really?
/—-/ Yes. I grew up in the South and moved to NY. It’s what I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back