Just how fucked up is California?

People are leaving California by the millions. That right there should give many pause for thought! :dunno:
So far they haven't hit a million/year net out-migration but it could happen this year with all of the new taxes and the large number of people who will have insurance money to finance the move after landslide season ends, it could happen but the odds are about three to one against that happening. The possibility of that unfixed dam taking out Sacramento is probably larger and there are many other possibilities

I know
What losers.....yawn!

California is too broke to secede. They're having trouble providing basic services even with lots of federal grants, contracts and other aid.

Last edited:
California is too broke to secede.

Cali stinks......

hey

that's the truth.................it stinks high time......

too many illegals money needing scum idiots there...

Cali stinks!
Well at least Bigfoot loves it there.especially all those Chinese restaurants that serve Chinese Food

yeah Cali stinks
and to think i wanted to move there when i was 22,,,,i was so dumb!

Cali stinks......

hey

Cali stinks!
Well at least Bigfoot loves it there.especially all those Chinese restaurants that serve Chinese Food

yeah Cali stinks

were?

still are .....whatever

Intent means everything when seeking a first or second degree murder charge

yes, but this was not first degree murder. No one in the cal legal system wanted a conviction.

Second degree murder meant he intentionally fired with the intent of killing someone

Given that he fired one shot and it hit the ground 80 feet away from her makes it hard to prove he shot with intent to kill

I already told you, he should have been convicted of negligent homicide. If you did it, you would have been convicted. Think about that for a minute.

If anyone else had done it they would have been prosecuted for negligent manslaughter and probably convicted

But this was no ordinary case
The rightwing media and then a candidate for President picked this case as an example of illegal Mexicans run amok killing beautiful white women

This case was pointed to as an example of why we need a wall and why Americans should fear illegal Mexicans

The facts of the case never supported the conclusions or remedies that conservatives were drawing

As a result, it was over prosecuted and the guy got off

you make good points. this case was determined by political considerations rather than the rules of law and the criminal statutes of the state of California. But yet, you and many others seem to support that kind of political perversion of our legal system. That I find very disturbing.

What "political considerations" were at play here? On whose part?

Interesting article by an alternate juror:

I Saw the Kate Steinle Murder Trial Up Close. The Jury Didn’t Botch It.

The rules of law and California's criminal statutes seem to have been followed in the charging and trial of this case. Unless you can find something wrong with the judge's instructions to the jury, there is nothing much to say here. Jury instructions generally include an explanation of the elements of the crime at issue; in other words, what must be demonstrated in order for the jury to return a guilty verdict. The burden of proof is always on the state. The DA charged him to the max, but the only charge that stuck was the gun charge.

The fact that this trial took place in California rather than some other state is irrelevant.

Cali stinks......

hey

Cali stinks!

yeah Cali stinks

were?

still are .....whatever
well i wound up moving to fla in 1984 instead.

yes, but this was not first degree murder. No one in the cal legal system wanted a conviction.

Second degree murder meant he intentionally fired with the intent of killing someone

Given that he fired one shot and it hit the ground 80 feet away from her makes it hard to prove he shot with intent to kill

I already told you, he should have been convicted of negligent homicide. If you did it, you would have been convicted. Think about that for a minute.

If anyone else had done it they would have been prosecuted for negligent manslaughter and probably convicted

The rightwing media and then a candidate for President picked this case as an example of illegal Mexicans run amok killing beautiful white women

This case was pointed to as an example of why we need a wall and why Americans should fear illegal Mexicans

The facts of the case never supported the conclusions or remedies that conservatives were drawing

you make good points. this case was determined by political considerations rather than the rules of law and the criminal statutes of the state of California. But yet, you and many others seem to support that kind of political perversion of our legal system. That I find very disturbing.

The rules of law and California's criminal statutes seem to have been followed in the charging and trial of this case. Unless you can find something wrong with the judge's instructions to the jury, there is nothing much to say here. Jury instructions generally include an explanation of the elements of the crime at issue; in other words, what must be demonstrated in order for the jury to return a guilty verdict. The burden of proof is always on the state. The DA charged him to the max, but the only charge that stuck was the gun charge.

The fact that this trial took place in California rather than some other state is irrelevant.

This article doesn't discount the fact that the jury had the option to find him guilty of manslaughter but they didn't. They ignored their duty and found him guilty only of the gun charge.

Yeah, trials and penalties are the same in every state.....what are you smoking?

Don't understand why Jury not drop to lesser Manslaughter Charge that was available?

I think that this commentator's assessment is a good one, that the prosecutors overplayed their hand and charged him with the worst when they should have known that the evidence wasn't there to support it:

Opinion | The outrage over the Steinle verdict is misplaced

The physical evidence and details involved in this incident were available to the prosecutors long before they became known to the public, and the prosecutors should have known what was, and wasn't there. I think they might have fallen for the political hype that trump was trying to gin up instead of using professional judgment.

This article doesn't discount the fact that the jury had the option to find him guilty of manslaughter but they didn't. They ignored their duty and found him guilty only of the gun charge.

What "duty" is that? A juror's duty is to assess the evidence and the credibility of witnesses and come to a conclusion as to whether the charges against the defendant have been proven or not, bearing in mind the judge's instructions. Any juror who comes to court with a preconceived notion of how the case "should" turn out should be removed from the panel.

This case proved that it is still possible to get justice in this country

Garcia Zarate was in a foreign country and had the President of the United States calling for his execution. He had the most powerful cable news network in the world spreading false information and calling for his head. He was subject to extreme bigotry and was being used as a scapegoat for painting illegal immigrants as murderers and rapists

The jury ignored the hype and reached an impartial verdict

Garcia Zarate was in a foreign country and had the President of the United States calling for his execution. He had the most powerful cable news network in the world spreading false information and calling for his head. He was subject to extreme bigotry and was being used as a scapegoat for painting illegal immigrants as murderers and rapists

justice?

First, he was shooting at a sea lion,

then the gun went off accidently.

and how many times had he been deported previously?

Yea, HE got 'justice'.

and he'll get more when he faces Federal charges.

justice?

First, he was shooting at a sea lion,

then the gun went off accidently.

and how many times had he been deported previously?

Yea, HE got 'justice'.

and he'll get more when he faces Federal charges.
He got justice but the victim sure as hell did not!

You called it exactly, the biased jury gave a political verdict that set a guilty illegal alien free.

this is America today.

Forum List

Back