Just how fucked up is California?

This case proved that it is still possible to get justice in this country

Garcia Zarate was in a foreign country and had the President of the United States calling for his execution. He had the most powerful cable news network in the world spreading false information and calling for his head. He was subject to extreme bigotry and was being used as a scapegoat for painting illegal immigrants as murderers and rapists

The jury ignored the hype and reached an impartial verdict

You called it exactly, the biased jury gave a political verdict that set a guilty illegal alien free.

this is America today.

Thankfully, the jury ignored the rightwing hysteria and the judge blocked the prosecution from bringing it up in the trial

All the jury had to go on was the facts of the case and those facts did not support a conviction

Proud day for our justice system

This case proved that it is still possible to get justice in this country

Garcia Zarate was in a foreign country and had the President of the United States calling for his execution. He had the most powerful cable news network in the world spreading false information and calling for his head. He was subject to extreme bigotry and was being used as a scapegoat for painting illegal immigrants as murderers and rapists

The jury ignored the hype and reached an impartial verdict
justice?

First, he was shooting at a sea lion,

then the gun went off accidently.

and how many times had he been deported previously?

Yea, HE got 'justice'.

and he'll get more when he faces Federal charges.

His immigration status had nothing to do with his innocence or guilt of murder
He told his story of an accidental firing and the prosecution told their story of a cold blooded murder

The jury found the defendants story to be more credible

This case reminds me of the Amanda Knox story

An American in a foreign country who was caught up in media hysteria and accused of murder. The jury in Italy ignored that there was no evidence linking her to the murder and bought in to the hysteria

Knox was found guilty of murder. It was later reversed when cooler heads prevailed

The perp couldn't make up his mind if he was shooting at a sea lion, or it went off accidently.

Negligent homicide, at minimum.

Remind me, rw, which state has stricter gun laws than CA?

The perp couldn't make up his mind if he was shooting at a sea lion, or it went off accidently.

Negligent homicide, at minimum.

Remind me, rw, which state has stricter gun laws than CA?

Ummm...he was found guilty of gun charges

The prosecution had it in its head that he had engaged in cold blooded murder. That is what they told the jury

The jury believed the sea lion story more than the story that he intended to kill the woman

Don't understand why Jury not drop to lesser Manslaughter Charge that was available?
Right wing DA wanting to "throw the book at him"?
the DA has nothing to do with the jury. They jury could have convicted with manslaughter
The DA brings the charges.

again he has nothing to do with the jury

Kate Steinle death: Garcia Zarate acquitted of homicide - CNN

He could have been convicted for manslaughter.....the jury didn't...that was the point....you seem to think the DA didn't bring up the charge..but it WAS on the table
I'll post it in black for you:

Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, 45, was acquitted of murder and involuntary manslaughter charges, as well as assault with a deadly weapon

Don't understand why Jury not drop to lesser Manslaughter Charge that was available?
the DA has nothing to do with the jury. They jury could have convicted with manslaughter

He could have been convicted for manslaughter.....the jury didn't...that was the point....you seem to think the DA didn't bring up the charge..but it WAS on the table

Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, 45, was acquitted of murder and involuntary manslaughter charges, as well as assault with a deadly weapon
The DA brings the charges not the jury.

I call them, Public Offenders because they get to offend us in legal venues.

Looks like a case of buyers remorse by conservatives

The President and conservative media used this case as an example of illegal Mexicans sneaking across our border to murder and rape innocent young white women. Trump called for the guy to be executed. Fox ran non-stop coverage of how evil this man was and he deserved maximum punishment

The facts did not support your claims

Now.....you whine about manslaughter
Why didn't you talk about manslaughter before?

yes I know what a DA is....
the argument in this thread was the jury could have convicted for manslaughter but didn't do it......which is why most of people think California is kooky......

The President and conservative media used this case as an example of illegal Mexicans sneaking across our border to murder and rape innocent young white women. Trump called for the guy to be executed. Fox ran non-stop coverage of how evil this man was and he deserved maximum punishment

he didn't mention rape much, more likely killing

and how does this prove him wrong?

it proves the people in California are nuts......

and I don't know why you like to see harden criminals like this guy kill people and you cheer when he gets off........that's insane......you are batshit crazy...you have the empathy of an SS soldier

the argument in this thread was the jury could have convicted for manslaughter but didn't do it......which is why most of people think California is kooky......
It was not suggested by the DA.

Now you know why some on the left believe the right wing is simply full of fallacy.

Now you know why some on the left believe the right wing is simply full of fallacy.

So what? Juries do that all the time...the DA wants murder, they say not proven but manslaughter....CONVICTED.......
you realize the DA presents one case...the jury decides what has been proven and what has not.......
they could have convicted with assault with a deadly weapon..didn't do that either....I think it's pretty clear that happened.

and I don't know why you like to see harden criminals like this guy kill people and you cheer when he gets off........that's insane......you are batshit crazy...you have the empathy of an SS soldier

It was Trump, who on the first day of his campaign talked about illegals coming into the country to murder and rape

A few days later, this case fell into his lap. Young beautiful blonde, white woman killed by an illegal Mexican..........See? I told you so
Lets execute the guy

Only the facts of the case did not support that assumption
The jury saw through it......the conservative hate machine did not

Also.....you and the rightwing media call this guy a "hardened criminal"
He was not

So what? Juries do that all the time...the DA wants murder, they say not proven but manslaughter....CONVICTED.......
you realize the DA presents one case...the jury decides what has been proven and what has not.......
they could have convicted with assault with a deadly weapon..didn't do that either....I think it's pretty clear that happened.
Does lend to the perception of politics over justice by the right wing.

This case reminds me of the Amanda Knox story

An American in a foreign country who was caught up in media hysteria and accused of murder. The jury in Italy ignored that there was no evidence linking her to the murder and bought in to the hysteria

Knox was found guilty of murder. It was later reversed when cooler heads prevailed

He was not "a person in a foreign country" He was here illegally, had been deported 5 or more times, and was protected by the stupid traitorous sanctuary city of sanfrangayo.

Your analogy to Knox is not even close. She was in Italy legally, she had not been deported, she was subjected to the full force of Italian law.

It was Trump, who on the first day of his campaign talked about illegals coming into the country to murder and rape

A few days later, this case fell into his lap. Young beautiful blonde, white woman killed by an illegal Mexican..........See? I told you so
Lets execute the guy

He was not

five time violator of our immigration laws, Yes, he was a criminal by any definition

Lets execute the guy

He was not

Bill Clinton said the same things in his early terms. Was this the jury getting even with him too?

Forum List

Back