Just tried to watch Looper.

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2014
Pretty good old movie I haven't seen in a while. Might be a good show to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. The problem was in the dramatic parts where they talked so qiietly, I had to turn the TV up all the way to make out what they were saying. When a commercial came on, it was loud enough to literally rattle the windows. Am I just going deaf in my old age, or do other people have to put up with this shit on streaming videos?

I notice that commercials not only turn the volume up significantly, they often employ yelling in the commercial itself thus increasing the obnoxiousness. There was a Cox commercial that was so hideous with a kid squealing that I wrote the company about it. I have a feeling they got lots of "feedback" on that one, they pulled the commercial.

Pretty good old movie I haven't seen in a while. Might be a good show to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. The problem was in the dramatic parts where they talked so qiietly, I had to turn the TV up all the way to make out what they were saying. When a commercial came on, it was loud enough to literally rattle the windows. Am I just going deaf in my old age, or do other people have to put up with this shit on streaming videos?
I noticed the same problem when I started streaming.

I plugged my TV audio into the 100-watt stereo receiver and speakers – no problem hearing now.

I have that problem on a lot of shows and movies.

Everything will be fine, then their tones get knocked down to a whisper where I have to click on the CC to read what the fuck they are saying. Either that, or they just start mumbling and can't make out what the hell they are saying.

It's VERY aggrivating. I tend not to watch those movies/shows again because of it.

I have noticed that.
I typically watch everything with caption on as the background music and action is so loud but the actors seem to whisper. The commercials are blaring loud.
The only actor I don't have to turn up is Samuel Jackson.

Your deaf!

I watched the trailer. Is the movie loud and noisy?

I have that problem on a lot of shows and movies.

Everything will be fine, then their tones get knocked down to a whisper where I have to click on the CC to read what the fuck they are saying. Either that, or they just start mumbling and can't make out what the hell they are saying.

It's VERY aggrivating. I tend not to watch those movies/shows again because of it.
I'm older, and I listened to too many screaming Jimmy engines back before hearing protection was a thing. Of course my hearing isn't what it once was, but that dosen't explain the drastic swing between almost inaudible and rattling the windows loud.

Am I just going deaf in my old age, or do other people have to put up with this shit on streaming videos?

Some say it has to do with production values in cinematic works and filters in reproduction with the devices/services you use to play it back.

To the second part ... I stream and haven't watched a commercial in forever.
It doesn't matter ... The same thing will happen between conversation scenes, and action scenes, or scenes with a heavy score.
It does seem to make a little difference when watching shows produced for television versus cinematic productions.

No, it's not just you: we have to turn up the streaming videos all the way and even that isn't far enough ----- then when the regular TV programs go on, the sound blasts us out of the room. I don't know why they do that; needs work.

Forum List

Back