Keeping the Sabbath Holy

The same thing I do every single day of my life, Avatar. Wake up, pray, worship the Lord, listen to the Holy Spirit, read the bible, preach the word. Lead people to Jesus Christ. That is every day. Not one day a week. Every day is the Lord's day to me. How about you?

- Jeremiah

The same thing I do every single day of my life, Avatar. Wake up, pray, worship the Lord, listen to the Holy Spirit, read the bible, preach the word. Lead people to Jesus Christ. That is every day. Not one day a week. Every day is the Lord's day to me. How about you?

- Jeremiah

And yet the Commandments set this day apart as something unique and different.
How is it so for you?

- Jeremiah

How is it so for you?

Because I am a believer and I know what freedom Paul had in Christ. Why would I, a Gentile, saved by grace through Jesus Christ, put myself under the law?

It is written:

Blotting out the hand- writing of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink or in respect to any holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which is a shadow of things to come, but the body of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worhsipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
And not beholding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not, taste not, handle not, Which all are to perish with using after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body, not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

- Colossians 2: 14 -23

And again it is written:

If ye being risen with Christ, seek these things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When Christ who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him, in glory. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth, fornication, unclean-ness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. But now ye also put off all these things: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds. And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Sycthian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. - Colossians 3: 1 - 11

And it is written:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering, Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any, even as Christ forgave you, so also ye do. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body, and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts before the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3: 12 - 17

Last edited:
Many of us are keeping God's day holy by celebrating our LBGT community in its parade, which begins two blocks from our place.

Holy Holy Holy

What do you Christians and Jews do to keep the Sabbath Holy?

I turned to and accepted Christ in the mid to late 80s. In or around 1990 I became an "Old Covenant Christian." My beliefs were basically in line with what we call the "Hebrew Roots" movement. I abstained from pork. I rested on Saturday. I tried to observe the Old Testament, Mosaic feast days. Etc.

I tried to live that life for about 10 solid years. In or around 1999 I went on a business trip. While in my hotel room I decided to read the book of Hebrews. I was smacked with an epiphany. It dawned on me that I was attempting to keep the Old Covenant instead of the New Covenant written in the blood of Christ.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I've come to the realization that Jesus Christ is my sabbath rest and that I can access His rest any day of the week at any time of the day:

Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

There is no explicit command from Christ or any of His Apostles that we should follow the Old Covenant, 4th Commandment. Now I have nothing whatsoever against anyone who chooses to but I don't find any penalties listed for folks who do not.

James chapter 2 states that if we choose to keep the law then we are bound to keep them all perfectly for if we fail to keep even one law then we are guilty of breaking the entire law (paraphrased).

I generally rest my body on both Saturday and Sunday but will piddle around the garage or mow the lawn or do odd jobs on the weekend. I will also buy groceries or stop at a restaurant on either Saturday or Sunday. The Old Covenant, 4th Commandment required that there can be no buying or selling or work of any kind nor could a person "seek his or her own pleasure" on Saturday. For me ... it became legalistic to try to follow every, single requirement of the Mosaic Covenant.

Galatians 5:18, "But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law."

My daily rest is in Christ. I turn to Him often any and every day of the week.

- Jeremiah

How is it so for you?

The 10 Commandments (although very noble and righteous in nature) were part of the Old Covenant between God and the 12 tribes of Israel. It was a conditional Covenant. "If" Israel would do this "then" God would do that.

Exodus 19:5, "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:"
Exodus 19:8, "And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD."

The Israelites agreed to the terms of the Covenant. However, the Israelites failed time and again to keep the terms of the Covenant until God's patience ran out:

Jeremiah 3:8, "And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also."

Thus, the Mosaic Covenant reached its end in Jeremiah when God offered the 10 northern tribes of Israel a "bill of divorce." He ended up sending them into dispersion and into Assyrian captivity. He later sent Judah (the Jews) and Benjamin (the two southern tribes of Israel) into Babylonian captivity for the same reason.

Christians are now under the New Covenant which has a different Priesthood; a different Temple; and a different set of defining principles than the Old Covenant. There are similarities but also some distinct differences.

Last edited:

- Jeremiah

How is it so for you?

Basically, the command to observe Shabbos is right after the command to build the Temple.
The Sanhedrin then discussed whatever creative labor is necessary for designing and constructing the Temple and made those activities forbidden on Shabbos.

- Jeremiah

How is it so for you?

Because I am a believer and I know what freedom Paul had in Christ. Why would I, a Gentile, saved by grace through Jesus Christ, put myself under the law?

It is written:

Blotting out the hand- writing of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink or in respect to any holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which is a shadow of things to come, but the body of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worhsipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
And not beholding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not, taste not, handle not, Which all are to perish with using after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body, not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

And again it is written:

If ye being risen with Christ, seek these things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When Christ who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him, in glory. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth, fornication, unclean-ness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. But now ye also put off all these things: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds. And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Sycthian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. - Colossians 3: 1 - 11

And it is written:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering, Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any, even as Christ forgave you, so also ye do. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body, and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts before the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3: 12 - 17
So, though not a jot or tiddle will pass away, the Ten Commandments HAVE passed away for you?
Is this a fair summary of your understanding?

- Jeremiah

How is it so for you?

Basically, the command to observe Shabbos is right after the command to build the Temple.
The Sanhedrin then discussed whatever creative labor is necessary for designing and constructing the Temple and made those activities forbidden on Shabbos.

And yet the general commandMENT to build the temple does not exist, but the commandment to keep the sabbath does.

How is it so for you?

It is written:

And again it is written:

And it is written:

So, though not a jot or tiddle will pass away, the Ten Commandments HAVE passed away for you?
Is this a fair summary of your understanding?

Christ didn't say He was "doing away with the law." He said he was fulfilling the law.

John 15:13, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Jesus Christ loved us so much that He willingly died on our behalf and in our stead. Love is the fulfillment of the law.

Many of us are keeping God's day holy by celebrating our LBGT community in its parade, which begins two blocks from our place.

Holy Holy Holy

God/Jesus would very likely do exactly the same thing. Sadly, many of his followers will use the parade as an excuse to spread hate and fear.

If there really is a "god", he/she/it is very sad and ashamed of them.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Holy Holy Holy

God/Jesus would very likely do exactly the same thing. Sadly, many of his followers will use the parade as an excuse to spread hate and fear.

If Jesus did show up it would be for the sole purpose of spreading the Gospel message and calling for repentance for the sin of homosexuality.

Holy Holy Holy

If Jesus did show up it would be for the sole purpose of spreading the Gospel message and calling for repentance for the sin of homosexuality.

But those two things cancel each other out -

Jesus preached love and tolerance and generosity of spirit. Besides, with all the very real horrors in this world, I'd hate to think Jesus would ignore all that suffering to go after a very tiny minority who really do very little harm in the world. That would be unbelievably petty.

And finally, I've read your posts. You're not a Christian. You're just like the other preachy haters here and among the least likely to know what Jesus thinks, does or would do. Indeed, I wonder if you hate mongers have any idea how repugnant it is you preach that you know more about Jesus than real Christians or others do.

Its people like you, gismo and the other holier than thou preachers that push people away from god.

What do you Christians and Jews do to keep the Sabbath Holy?
Ahhh....finally someone addresses the third-rail of Christendom.

Couple of things to straighten out before answering this, very good question...

1. When is the Sabbath
2. Define holy

This is a popular misunderstanding of Scripture at best and a lie from the pits of hell at worst.

The giving of the law to Israel was a special act. Just before He gave the law to Moses, God reminded His people that they are a kingdom of priests and a holy nation (Exodus 19:6). Among all nations on the face of the earth, it was to Israel that God specially revealed His law (Romans 9:4). The law was not intended to be a burden to the people but to be a tool through which the chosen nation would reveal to the masses the moral code that was the foundation of God’s government. Israel was to be a partner with God in the mission of universal evangelism, and God’s law was to be the identifying mark for God’s spokespersons.

Forum List

Back