Keeping the Sabbath Holy

The Sabbath was a shadow of Christ
By Chuckt 3-21-2009

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]:
Colossians 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

Colossians 2:17 says the Sabbath is a shadow of things to come. What is a shadow? It is the shade caused by the interception of light. It is a sketch cast by an object and it causes an image. The body is Christ and it is what cast the shadow.

Though I'm not supposed to judge others on the Sabbath, the emphasis should be on the image that cast the shadow and not the shadow itself.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first [day] of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

It was the Apostles who broke bread and preached on the first day of the week which was Sunday.

1Cor. 16:2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Paul took up a collection on the first day of the week from "every one of you" which means that the Christians came together on the first day of the week.

John 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: [then] came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace [be] unto you.

Why didn't Jesus appear on the seventh day? Why didn't Jesus appear on the Sabbath? Because He died and rose again because His work was finished.

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place

If you read Romans 6:14 and Galatians 3:24-25, Christians are not under Old Testament law so we don't have to observe the Sabbath because the law was our schoolmaster (Galatians 3:24) and now we are no longer under a schoolmaster (Galatians 3:25).

In terms of resurrection, Jesus was crucified on a friday and he rose on the third day which would be Sunday.

The resurrection is the Lord's day because it is the last day where men are summoned (1 Thessalonians 4:16):

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

The trumpet sounds to resurrect souls on the last day (1 Thessalonians 4:16) and Jesus rose on the first day of the week which was Sunday so it was the resurrection that changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

This is why I have to look to what the shadow of Saturday represents because I want the reality which casts the shadow and if I'm stuck on the shadow then I haven't seen any revelation beyond the shadow.

That is why I preach Christ crucified, risen and coming again because it is the image that casts the shadow. And where is Sabbath keeping in the gospel "wherein you stand" (v1) and by which you are saved (v.2)? The Sabbath was important but it isn't the new reality of God's plan of salvation:

1 Cor. 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1 Cor. 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1 Cor. 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1 Cor. 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
1 Cor. 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
1 Cor. 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
1 Cor. 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
1 Cor. 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 1 Cor. 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which [was bestowed] upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
1 Cor. 15:11 Therefore whether [it were] I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

Brother Drew on Sabbatarianism

There was no order from God for Noah to observe the Sabbath, according to the Word.

There was no observance of the Sabbath by the Patriarchs, according to the Word.

The Sabbath was not established by God for man until the Children of Israel left Egypt.

There was no order from the Jerusalem council for the Gentile converts to observe the Sabbath:

Acts 15:
28: For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29: That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Therefore, let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath. These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:13-17)

Just as the sacrificial lamb was the foreshadow of the Lamb of God, so too is the Sabbath a foreshadow of the true rest in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So then, there remains a sabbath rest for the people of God; for whoever enters God's rest also ceases from his labors as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:9-10)

Certainly, someone will come along and say: "Ah ... but God rested on the 7th day." So, before they do, let's ask if He also rested on the 14th day; the 21st day; the 28th day; etc. The answer is no.

Nowhere is Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, [SIZE=-1]Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Methuselah, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Lamech, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob (Israel) ever commanded to keep a Sabbath day.[/SIZE]

The same thing I do every single day of my life, Avatar. Wake up, pray, worship the Lord, listen to the Holy Spirit, read the bible, preach the word. Lead people to Jesus Christ. That is every day. Not one day a week. Every day is the Lord's day to me. How about you?

- Jeremiah

The Lord has asked us to make one day of the week Holy. If we are treating everyday the same, I am not sure if we are keeping it.

But they were cut off. They went into captivity a couple of times and now the Church is doing God's mission until God raptures the Christians and puts the Holy Spirit upon Jewish believers in the nation of Israel.

What does it mean that the church has been grafted in Israel’s place?

This is Christian theology and there are old testament references for this.
What was cut off?

[MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION] , I don't think you read and/or didn't understand my passage. Did you read what I posted?

Yes MarcATL,

Evangelism for what? They didn't keep their sabbaths. They got involved in idolatry. They had a divided kingdom with false worship.

Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

The sabbath was a shadow but the substance is Christ. Until Christ is preached, they are still following the shadow and not the revelation or what that shadow points to.

Praise the Lord that all believers in Jesus are united!
Yes, that was sarcasm.

Anyway, to be serious, since there is no respect towards time or place why does Christianity have a Sabbath at all? Christmas? Easter? A Vatican?
Focus...there is no respect towards time or place.

There was no order from God for Noah to observe the Sabbath, according to the Word.

There was no observance of the Sabbath by the Patriarchs, according to the Word.

The Sabbath was not established by God for man until the Children of Israel left Egypt.

There was no order from the Jerusalem council for the Gentile converts to observe the Sabbath:

Acts 15:
28: For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29: That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Therefore, let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath. These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:13-17)

Just as the sacrificial lamb was the foreshadow of the Lamb of God, so too is the Sabbath a foreshadow of the true rest in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So then, there remains a sabbath rest for the people of God; for whoever enters God's rest also ceases from his labors as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:9-10)

Certainly, someone will come along and say: "Ah ... but God rested on the 7th day." So, before they do, let's ask if He also rested on the 14th day; the 21st day; the 28th day; etc. The answer is no.

Nowhere is Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, [SIZE=-1]Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Methuselah, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Lamech, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob (Israel) ever commanded to keep a Sabbath day.[/SIZE]

Excellent point!
God separated the 7th Day for HIMSELF and didn't find any human worthy of receiving it until after the Exodus from Egypt.

The same thing I do every single day of my life, Avatar. Wake up, pray, worship the Lord, listen to the Holy Spirit, read the bible, preach the word. Lead people to Jesus Christ. That is every day. Not one day a week. Every day is the Lord's day to me. How about you?

- Jeremiah

The Lord has asked us to make one day of the week Holy. If we are treating everyday the same, I am not sure if we are keeping it.

Why would you give God only one day of seven?

What was cut off?

@Chuckt , I don't think you read and/or didn't understand my passage. Did you read what I posted?

Yes MarcATL,

Evangelism for what? They didn't keep their sabbaths. They got involved in idolatry. They had a divided kingdom with false worship.

Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

The sabbath was a shadow but the substance is Christ. Until Christ is preached, they are still following the shadow and not the revelation or what that shadow points to.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

Anyway, to be serious, since there is no respect towards time or place why does Christianity have a Sabbath at all? Christmas? Easter? A Vatican?

There are various sects within Judaism, Islam, pagan religions, etc. It's human nature to divide. The one thing that binds Bible-believing Christians is our faith in Jesus Christ Who was God in the flesh; our Lord & Savior. On that very important point we are unified.

Yes MarcATL,

Yes, that was sarcasm.

There are various sects within Judaism, Islam, pagan religions, etc. It's human nature to divide. The one thing that binds Bible-believing Christians is our faith in Jesus Christ Who was God in the flesh; our Lord & Savior. On that very important point we are unified.

There were twelve tribes of Israel and different people need different things.

- Jeremiah

And yet the Commandments set this day apart as something unique and different.
How is it so for you?

Because I am a believer and I know what freedom Paul had in Christ. Why would I, a Gentile, saved by grace through Jesus Christ, put myself under the law?

It is written:

Blotting out the hand- writing of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink or in respect to any holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which is a shadow of things to come, but the body of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worhsipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
And not beholding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not, taste not, handle not, Which all are to perish with using after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body, not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

- Colossians 2: 14 -23

And again it is written:

If ye being risen with Christ, seek these things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When Christ who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him, in glory. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth, fornication, unclean-ness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. But now ye also put off all these things: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds. And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Sycthian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. - Colossians 3: 1 - 11

And it is written:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering, Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any, even as Christ forgave you, so also ye do. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body, and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts before the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3: 12 - 17

Then logically we can kill without consequence. After all, if we don't have to keep the fourth commandment, we dont have to keep any of them.

What do you Christians and Jews do to keep the Sabbath Holy?
Ahhh....finally someone addresses the third-rail of Christendom.

Couple of things to straighten out before answering this, very good question...

1. When is the Sabbath
2. Define holy

1. The that follows six days of labor.
2. That's what I am trying to ascertain.

There are many Christians who claim that the observance of the Sabbath (the day of rest) is still a duty and requirement today because it is part of the Ten Commandments. Christians who believe this claim either Saturday (the original Hebrew observance) or Sunday for their day of Sabbath. However, a larger question than what day needs to be answered and that is whether the keeping of the Sabbath still applies.

The Bible teaches in the Book of Exodus 31:17 that the Sabbath was strictly a sign for the Jews, not for everyone. Although the command to observe the Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments, it is the only part of the Ten Commandments that is ceremonial in nature. All of the ceremonial laws and types were fulfilled by the life, death, and resurrection of Christ.

The Apostle Paul in the New Testament says that all of the various Sabbath observances have been done away with and that every day of the week may be treated as the same (Colossians 2: 16-18;Romans 14: 5-6).

And Hebrews 4:1-11 teaches that the Sabbath Day was actually a figure of spiritual rest in Christ.

But, doesn't Scripture teach that the Sabbath is to be observed "forever". The word "forever" in Scripture simply means the entire length or duration of something. If that something is eternal then the word "forever" must mean eternity, but if that something is temporal then the word "forever" simply means the entire length or time of that temporal period. For example, in Exodus 21:6 we read that certain persons were to be servants forever. Obviously, that does not mean for eternity.

The Sabbath as the the day of rest in the Old Testament had an overall spiritual meaning above and beyond its immediate meaning. The immediate meaning of the Sabbath was to provide God's people a rest from a week of work and toil and to commemorate the fact that God ceased (rested) from His work of creation on the seventh day.

However, the Sabbath spiritually symbolized an even greater meaning - that the greatest work of God, the work of salvation, has been once and for all completed through the life, death, and resurrection of Christ.

The Apostle in the Book of Hebrews says we have a Sabbath still to keep. What He means is that we have yet to experience the full effects of that eternal rest Christ won for us on Calvary.

On the Cross Christ paid the full penalty for our sins through His suffering and death. His entire sinless life on earth was His meritorious work of keeping the law faultlessly and perfectly on our behalf. He faithfully took the punishment from God the Father that we deserve for our sins on the Cross. His resurrection sealed and guaranteed all that He did on our behalf.

Now, it does not matter whether Saturday or Sunday or any day. All that matters is Christ. Let us not, therefore, bind a commandment and observance on others that the New Testament teaches has been fulfilled and done away with through the Cross of Christ.

Acts 15:

We hardly have an extensive record prior to the deluge.

- Jeremiah

Why would you give God only one day of seven?

Why would you ignore the commandment to Keep the Sabbath? The fact that we give everything to God doesn't mean we are not to keep His commandments.

The Bible teaches in the Book of Exodus 31:17 that the Sabbath was strictly a sign for the Jews, not for everyone. Although the command to observe the Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments, it is the only part of the Ten Commandments that is ceremonial in nature. All of the ceremonial laws and types were fulfilled by the life, death, and resurrection of Christ.

Though the Sabbath included ceremony, that was not the purpose of the Sabbath.

“On the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made” (Genesis 2:2, 3). Because God rested on the seventh day, he designated it a holy day to be remembered for all time. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy,” He says in the fourth commandment. “Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God” (Exodus 20:8-10).

It is a designated day of rest, and a commandment from the god you pretend to worship.

The verse talks about being a covenant with Israel. The Church is modern Israel. There was never a revocation of the commandment.

“On the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made” (Genesis 2:2, 3). Because God rested on the seventh day, he designated it a holy day to be remembered for all time. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy,” He says in the fourth commandment. “Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God” (Exodus 20:8-10).

It is a designated day of rest, and a commandment from the god you pretend to worship.

YES!! UNDER THE OLD COVENANT BEFORE JESUS CAME TO EARTH,THE JEWISH PEOPLE HAD MANY RULES THAT ARE NO LONGER HERE UNDER THE NEW COVENANT!!! yOU GOT A LOT TO LEARN AND VERY LITTLE TIME to do it!!

YES!! UNDER THE OLD COVENANT BEFORE JESUS CAME TO EARTH,THE JEWISH PEOPLE HAD MANY RULES THAT ARE NO LONGER HERE UNDER THE NEW COVENANT!!! yOU GOT A LOT TO LEARN AND VERY LITTLE TIME to do it!!

Where were any of the Ten commandments revoked? God can command and revoke as He pleases, but I see no evidence that this has happened.

And why just that one? It seems to me that if that one is revoked then they are all revoked.

I don't think God ever did that.

But no wonder the world is in the shape it is, rather than put out an effort to follow the Lord, we are making excuses why we don't have to follow a commandment we don't want to follow, and trying to invoke the Lord's name as the reason for our disobedience.

No wonder we are losing the culture. We care more about putting the Ten Commandments on display in a courthouse than we do about writing them on our heart.

Forum List

Back