Keeping the Sabbath Holy

And yet the Commandments set this day apart as something unique and different.
How is it so for you?

Basically, the command to observe Shabbos is right after the command to build the Temple.
The Sanhedrin then discussed whatever creative labor is necessary for designing and constructing the Temple and made those activities forbidden on Shabbos.

And yet the general commandMENT to build the temple does not exist, but the commandment to keep the sabbath does.

Actually, my mistake.
There are hundreds of verses dedicated to the construction of the Tabernacle and it's items followed by the command to keep Shabbos.
Many of the items made for the Tabernacle were later utilized in the Temple.

What do you Christians and Jews do to keep the Sabbath Holy?
Ahhh....finally someone addresses the third-rail of Christendom.

Couple of things to straighten out before answering this, very good question...

1. When is the Sabbath
2. Define holy

The word "Holy" in Hebrew is from the root Kah-daash which means "separate".
The behavior exhibited on Shabbos is separate from that exhibited on the other days of the week.

This is a popular misunderstanding of Scripture at best and a lie from the pits of hell at worst.

The giving of the law to Israel was a special act. Just before He gave the law to Moses, God reminded His people that they are a kingdom of priests and a holy nation (Exodus 19:6). Among all nations on the face of the earth, it was to Israel that God specially revealed His law (Romans 9:4). The law was not intended to be a burden to the people but to be a tool through which the chosen nation would reveal to the masses the moral code that was the foundation of God’s government. Israel was to be a partner with God in the mission of universal evangelism, and God’s law was to be the identifying mark for God’s spokespersons.

But they were cut off. They went into captivity a couple of times and now the Church is doing God's mission until God raptures the Christians and puts the Holy Spirit upon Jewish believers in the nation of Israel.

What does it mean that the church has been grafted in Israel’s place?

This is Christian theology and there are old testament references for this.

This is a popular misunderstanding of Scripture at best and a lie from the pits of hell at worst.

The giving of the law to Israel was a special act. Just before He gave the law to Moses, God reminded His people that they are a kingdom of priests and a holy nation (Exodus 19:6). Among all nations on the face of the earth, it was to Israel that God specially revealed His law (Romans 9:4). The law was not intended to be a burden to the people but to be a tool through which the chosen nation would reveal to the masses the moral code that was the foundation of God’s government. Israel was to be a partner with God in the mission of universal evangelism, and God’s law was to be the identifying mark for God’s spokespersons.

But they were cut off. They went into captivity a couple of times and now the Church is doing God's mission until God raptures the Christians and puts the Holy Spirit upon Jewish believers in the nation of Israel.

What was cut off?

[MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION] , I don't think you read and/or didn't understand my passage. Did you read what I posted?

What was cut off?

[MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION] , I don't think you read and/or didn't understand my passage. Did you read what I posted?

Question: "What does it mean that the church has been grafted in Israel’s place?"

Answer: In Romans 11:11–24 Paul compares Israel to the natural branches of a cultivated olive tree and the Gentile believers to the branches of a wild olive tree. The natural branches (Israel) were broken off, and the wild branches (Gentiles) were grafted in (verse 17). The Gentiles, then, have been made partakers of the promises and inherit the blessings of God’s salvation.

You haven't answered my question.

What do you understand from the passage I posted [MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION] ?

OK, [MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION]

I remember now that there's no conversations w/you, just you posting your skewed beliefs no matter what's being discussed.

Have a nice day.

:cool:

What was cut off?

Yes MarcATL,

Evangelism for what? They didn't keep their sabbaths. They got involved in idolatry. They had a divided kingdom with false worship.

Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

The sabbath was a shadow but the substance is Christ. Until Christ is preached, they are still following the shadow and not the revelation or what that shadow points to.

until God raptures the Christians

No such doctrine exists, certainly not in the Bible.

A false doctrine called The Rapture developed about two hundred years ago among some eye rolling hand flapping tongue yapping British evangelists.

This is what I typed...
This explains how the Law was never JUST for the Israelites, it was for the entire world. Just like how salvation through Jesus Christ isn't JUST for Christians, it's for the entire world. Just like how the Israelites/Jews were to be a representative of God to the rest of the world, Christians are to be a representative of Jesus to the rest of the world. You are full aware of the principle that God is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow. So this should not be foreign to you.

Additionally, it means that the Sabbath COULDN'T be just for the Jews, but the entire world. It was just their responsibility to be God's representative on earth of His will.

You're telling me you didn't understand that?

[MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION]

A false doctrine called The Rapture developed about two hundred years ago among some eye rolling hand flapping tongue yapping British evangelists.
Yep, the whole "Rapture Doctrine" is another misunderstanding at best, and a lie straight from the pits of hell popular among some sects of radical Christians.

It's not biblical whatsoever. No different than the "Prosperity Doctrine" that's popular among certain sects of Christians.

Last edited:
God/Jesus would very likely do exactly the same thing. Sadly, many of his followers will use the parade as an excuse to spread hate and fear.

If there really is a "god", he/she/it is very sad and ashamed of them.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

If Jesus did show up it would be for the sole purpose of spreading the Gospel message and calling for repentance for the sin of homosexuality.

But those two things cancel each other out -

Jesus preached love and tolerance and generosity of spirit. Besides, with all the very real horrors in this world, I'd hate to think Jesus would ignore all that suffering to go after a very tiny minority who really do very little harm in the world. That would be unbelievably petty.

And finally, I've read your posts. You're not a Christian. You're just like the other preachy haters here and among the least likely to know what Jesus thinks, does or would do. Indeed, I wonder if you hate mongers have any idea how repugnant it is you preach that you know more about Jesus than real Christians or others do.

Its people like you, gismo and the other holier than thou preachers that push people away from god.

Really? Read Matthew 13:38-43 to see how tolerant Jesus and His angels will be upon their return. Not so much!

Christ said that His return would be like it was in the days of Noah. Well ... we know what happened in the days of Noah. Everyone except for Noah had turned their back on God and chose, instead, to follow the lusts of their heart. God sent a flood to destroy every living creature except for them on the ark and the fish in the sea. God is patient and slow to wrath but He's certainly not immune to wrath as the world has seen and will see again.

There's still time to repent of your sins though. Choose wisely.

Yep, the whole "Rapture Doctrine" is another misunderstanding at best, and a lie straight from the pits of hell popular among some sects of radical Christians.

It's not biblical whatsoever. No different than the "Prosperity Doctrine" that's popular among certain sects of Christians.

Exactly. I completely reject the rapture doctrine. Have studied the issue in depth. It's not a doctrine found in the written Word of God.

Simply ask a Rapturist to give you early writing, before 5th century, on the doctrine. They can't.

of course the Trinity is a late 3rd century development finally codified in the 4th century.

This is what I typed...
This explains how the Law was never JUST for the Israelites, it was for the entire world. Just like how salvation through Jesus Christ isn't JUST for Christians, it's for the entire world. Just like how the Israelites/Jews were to be a representative of God to the rest of the world, Christians are to be a representative of Jesus to the rest of the world. You are full aware of the principle that God is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow. So this should not be foreign to you.

Additionally, it means that the Sabbath COULDN'T be just for the Jews, but the entire world. It was just their responsibility to be God's representative on earth of His will.

@Chuckt

Here's who salvation is for:

John 3:18, "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Mark 16:16, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

John 3:36, "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

1 John 5:12, "He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life."

Read, also, the parable of the Sheep & the Goats: Matthew 25:31-46.

Salvation is available to anyone and everyone but certainly not everyone will be saved. Them who reject Christ shall not be saved.

Matthew 7:13-14, "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

This is what I typed...

[MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION]

Our Sabbatismos

Christians find complete Sabbath-like rest in Christ's finished work on the cross. Believers are to “make every effort to enter that rest,” which should be experienced "[t]oday”— every day for the Christian (Heb. 4.11 and Heb. 4.7). According to Andrew T. Lincoln, formerly a professor of New Testament at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, the author of Hebrews teaches that “the New Covenant people of God discharge their duty of Sabbath observance […] by exercising faith”; thus, believers “cease from their own works so that God may work in them” (213). The New Testament Sabbath rest is entered into daily by ceasing from one’s "works" of trying to earn salvation though keeping the old covenant law. For Christians, the Sabbath is a Person; His name is Jesus Christ, our Sabbatismos.
New Covenant Sabbath Rest - Sabbatismos Ministries: Finding Our Rest in Christ

This is an interesting interpretation because they were confused and they thought that Jesus meant the Temple Mount when Jesus meant His body. The word Temple can refer to the Jewish Temple or His body according to the dictionary:
As for the ceremonial aspects of the Mosaic law, type met antitype in the coming of Jesus. For example, Carson writes that “Jesus saw Himself as the focal point in redemptive history, for even the temple pointed to Him” (70). In John 2:19, Jesus says, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days,” referring to his own body. “In this sense, the temple does not now serve as the symbol of Christ’s mission; rather, it lived out its life as a pointer toward Christ’s mission” (Carson 75). Kenneth E. Bailey, lecturer and emeritus research professor of Middle Eastern New Testament studies for the Tantur Ecumenical Institute writes, “Throughout the New Testament there is witness to the astounding fact that a person had replaced a building” (328). Similarly, in His atoning death on Calvary, Jesus is the “Passover lamb” (1 Cor. 5.7). Today, there are even a growing number of Christians who see Jesus as the fulfillment of the Sabbath commandment. Rather than being a moral obligation as the other nine commandments of the Decalogue, New Covenant Theology understands the Sabbath as foreshadowing the rest of grace found through saving faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus’ own words in Matthew 11:28 hint at this New Covenant reality: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” As Jesus replaced the temple in which Israel worshiped, so, too, the Person of Christ both replaces and transcends a day of rest and worship. Carson explains that the “Sabbath is another of the Old Testament pointers to the messianic rest” (75). This conclusion “agrees with Matthew’s fulfillment motifs. The gospel rest to which the Sabbath had always pointed” appeared in the person of Jesus (Carson 75).

New Covenant Implications of the Transfiguration - Sabbatismos Ministries: Finding Our Rest in Christ

I've been trying to discover the difference between sabbaton and sabbatisimos. Sabbatisimos is basically a Greek suffix added to a Hebrew word and it only occurs once in Hebrews 4:9. I think it means a cessation. The Sabbath (sabbaton) is only a temporary cessation whereas our rest (sabbatisimos) is an eternal cessation.
There is a parallel between Hebrews 4:10 and Genesis 2:2-3 because God rested while Adam and Eve didn't perpetually rest isn't something a Sabbatarian thinks about. The rest of sabbatisimos speaks of another day or cessation.
1.) The word "rest" in v. 9 is not sabbaton, "Sabbath," but sabbatismos. Paul could have said "There remaineth the Sabbath to the people of God," but he said, under inspiration, "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God." The word sabbaton, Sabbath, is used 68 times in the New Testament. The Holy Spirit deliberately did NOT use that word here, because He intended to convey something different.

2.) The rest spoken of was not entered into by unsaved Jews who kept the Sabbath in the wilderness, v. 5, cf. Psalm 95:7-11. God swore in His wrath that they would not enter into His rest, Psalm 95:11, v. 5 (The "if they shall enter" in Hebrews 4:5 is an idiomatic way of saying "they shall not enter"; note the Hebrews 3:11 translates Greek identical to Hebrews 4:5 as "they shall not enter," etc.)
-Brother Daniel

Therefore it can't be exactly the same word.

I disagree.

Some truth to your post but the very nations who were supposed to uphold the law as a light to the rest of the world failed to do so. The Mosaic Covenant (as I posted earlier) was conditional. The Israelites failed to uphold their end of the agreement. That's what a Covenant is ... a contract between at least two parties.

Prior to the Mosaic Covenant there was no Levitical Priesthood to administer much of the Covenant regulations. Levi (the priest tribe) didn't exist until AFTER Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The priest that Abraham dealt with or spoke with was Melchizedek, not the Levites. Different priesthood.

Christ is now our high priest and animal sacrifice (an important aspect of the Mosaic Covenant) has been done away with as has the Mosaic Temple. The temple, today, is the body of the Christian individual and Christian individuals as a whole and Christ is a priest in the order of Melchizedek.

Hebrew 5:9-10 (speaking of Christ), "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec."

Last edited:
Brother Drew on Sabbatarianism

There was no order from God for Noah to observe the Sabbath, according to the Word.

There was no observance of the Sabbath by the Patriarchs, according to the Word.

The Sabbath was not established by God for man until the Children of Israel left Egypt.

There was no order from the Jerusalem council for the Gentile converts to observe the Sabbath:

Acts 15:
28: For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29: That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Therefore, let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath. These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:13-17)

Just as the sacrificial lamb was the foreshadow of the Lamb of God, so too is the Sabbath a foreshadow of the true rest in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So then, there remains a sabbath rest for the people of God; for whoever enters God's rest also ceases from his labors as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:9-10)

Forum List

Back