Keeping the Sabbath Holy

YOU CULTS WASTE SO MUCH TIME!!! JUST WISE UP OR BEGONE!!=====The phrase “the Lord of the Sabbath” is found in Matthew 12:8, Mark 2:28, and Luke 6:5. In all three instances Jesus is referring to Himself as the Lord of the Sabbath or as Mark records it: “The Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath” (Mark 2:28). In these verses, Jesus is proclaiming that He is the One who exercises authority even over the rules and regulations that govern the Sabbath day.

As such, Jesus was proclaiming to the world, especially to the legalistic Pharisees, that He was greater than the law and above the laws of the Mosaic Covenant because, as God in flesh, He is the Author of those laws. Unable to keep the Law, however, the Pharisees had instituted a complex and confusing system of Sabbath laws of their own which were oppressive and legalistic. They had set up strict laws regarding how to observe the Sabbath which included thirty-nine categories of forbidden activities. In essence, these religious leaders had made themselves lords of the Sabbath, thus making themselves lords over the people.

As Creator, Christ was the original Lord of the Sabbath (John 1:3; Hebrews 1:10). He had the authority to overrule the Pharisees' traditions and regulations because He had created the Sabbath—and the Creator is always greater than the creation. Furthermore, Jesus claimed the authority to correctly interpret the meaning of the Sabbath and all the laws pertaining to it. Because Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, He is free to do on it and with it whatever He pleases.

As Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus had the right, power and authority to dispense it in any way He pleased, even to the abolishing of it and reinstituting it as the Lord’s Day, a day of worship. Since the Lord of the Sabbath had come, He who is the only true “Sabbath rest” made the old Law of the Sabbath no longer needed or binding. When He said “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works. Because of His sacrifice on the cross, we can now forever cease laboring to attain God’s favor and rest in His mercy and grace.

The Bible teaches in the Book of Exodus 31:17 that the Sabbath was strictly a sign for the Jews, not for everyone. Although the command to observe the Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments, it is the only part of the Ten Commandments that is ceremonial in nature. All of the ceremonial laws and types were fulfilled by the life, death, and resurrection of Christ.

Though the Sabbath included ceremony, that was not the purpose of the Sabbath.

“On the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made” (Genesis 2:2, 3). Because God rested on the seventh day, he designated it a holy day to be remembered for all time. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy,” He says in the fourth commandment. “Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God” (Exodus 20:8-10).

It is a designated day of rest, and a commandment from the god you pretend to worship.

YES!! UNDER THE OLD COVENANT BEFORE JESUS CAME TO EARTH,THE JEWISH PEOPLE HAD MANY RULES THAT ARE NO LONGER HERE UNDER THE NEW COVENANT!!! yOU GOT A LOT TO LEARN AND VERY LITTLE TIME to do it!!

Let me learn at your knee.
You have revoked the Ten Commandments.
Good start.
What else can we discard from your bible?
Since you went first, do I get to pick something now?
You seem to be cheating, though. You went at least twice before I got a turn, because you reject the Fruits of the Spirit from the NT in Galatians, too.
You aren't peaceful or loving or joyful or patient or kind or gentle nor do you have any self-control.
Tell me when it is my turn to cut something out of scripture.
This is fun!
I feel like Thomas Jefferson!

“On the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made” (Genesis 2:2, 3). Because God rested on the seventh day, he designated it a holy day to be remembered for all time. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy,” He says in the fourth commandment. “Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God” (Exodus 20:8-10).

It is a designated day of rest, and a commandment from the god you pretend to worship.

YES!! UNDER THE OLD COVENANT BEFORE JESUS CAME TO EARTH,THE JEWISH PEOPLE HAD MANY RULES THAT ARE NO LONGER HERE UNDER THE NEW COVENANT!!! yOU GOT A LOT TO LEARN AND VERY LITTLE TIME to do it!!

Good start.
You seem to be cheating, though. You went at least twice before I got a turn, because you reject the Fruits of the Spirit from the NT in Galatians, too.
You aren't peaceful or loving or joyful or patient or kind or gentle nor do you have any self-control.
This is fun!

What? You're trying to write a tract for the Native American's like he did?

Good start.
This is fun!

CULT MEMBERS LACK WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING!!! PRAY!!! and hurry!

YOU CULTS WASTE SO MUCH TIME!!! JUST WISE UP OR BEGONE!!=====The phrase “the Lord of the Sabbath” is found in Matthew 12:8, Mark 2:28, and Luke 6:5. In all three instances Jesus is referring to Himself as the Lord of the Sabbath or as Mark records it: “The Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath” (Mark 2:28). In these verses, Jesus is proclaiming that He is the One who exercises authority even over the rules and regulations that govern the Sabbath day.

As such, Jesus was proclaiming to the world, especially to the legalistic Pharisees, that He was greater than the law and above the laws of the Mosaic Covenant because, as God in flesh, He is the Author of those laws. Unable to keep the Law, however, the Pharisees had instituted a complex and confusing system of Sabbath laws of their own which were oppressive and legalistic. They had set up strict laws regarding how to observe the Sabbath which included thirty-nine categories of forbidden activities. In essence, these religious leaders had made themselves lords of the Sabbath, thus making themselves lords over the people.

As Creator, Christ was the original Lord of the Sabbath (John 1:3; Hebrews 1:10). He had the authority to overrule the Pharisees' traditions and regulations because He had created the Sabbath—and the Creator is always greater than the creation. Furthermore, Jesus claimed the authority to correctly interpret the meaning of the Sabbath and all the laws pertaining to it. Because Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, He is free to do on it and with it whatever He pleases.

As Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus had the right, power and authority to dispense it in any way He pleased, even to the abolishing of it and reinstituting it as the Lord’s Day, a day of worship. Since the Lord of the Sabbath had come, He who is the only true “Sabbath rest” made the old Law of the Sabbath no longer needed or binding. When He said “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works. Because of His sacrifice on the cross, we can now forever cease laboring to attain God’s favor and rest in His mercy and grace.

The fact that Christ is Lord of the Sabbath doesn't mean the Sabbath is abolished.

The fact that you're pointing out that He re-instituted it concedes the fact that there is still a Sabbath day which we need to keep.

Jesus claimed the authority to correctly interpret the meaning of the Sabbath and all the laws pertaining to it. Because Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, He is free to do on it and with it whatever He pleases.

Good start.
This is fun!

Says the person who is claiming that despite the Sabbath being reinstituted in his own words that we no longer need to keep it.

Make up your mind.

Jesus claimed the authority to correctly interpret the meaning of the Sabbath and all the laws pertaining to it. Because Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, He is free to do on it and with it whatever He pleases.

No one has said otherwise. The question is has He revoked His command to keep the Sabbath Holy. The fact that He can, doesn't mean that He did. And you've even conceded the fact that it was "re-instituted". Those are your words, not mine.

When He(Jesus) said “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works.

Good start.
This is fun!

You may be right.
This is why your witness is so ineffective.

CULT MEMBERS!!!WISE UP OR BEGONE!!When He (JESUS)said “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works

Good start.
This is fun!

It is understood by some historians that Jefferson composed it for his own satisfaction, supporting the Christian faith as he saw it. Gaustad states, "The retired President did not produce his small book to shock or offend a somnolent world; he composed it for himself, for his devotion, for his assurance, for a more restful sleep at nights and a more confident greeting of the mornings." [25]

There is no record of this or its successor being for "the Use of the Indians," despite the stated intent of the 1804 version being that purpose. Although the government long supported Christian activity among Indians,[26][27] and in Notes on the State of Virginia Jefferson supported "a perpetual mission among the Indian tribes," at least in the interest of anthropology,[28] and as President sanctioned financial support for a priest and church for the Kaskaskia Indians,[29] Jefferson did not make these works public. Instead, he acknowledged the existence of The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth to only a few friends, saying that he read it before retiring at night, as he found this project intensely personal and private.[30].
From Wiki

That is a popular misunderstanding of Jefferson's efforts that you have.

CULT MEMBERS!!!WISE UP OR BEGONE!!When He (JESUS)said “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works

How in god's name do you twist that verse into that interpretation?

Good start.
This is fun!

It is understood by some historians that Jefferson composed it for his own satisfaction, supporting the Christian faith as he saw it. Gaustad states, "The retired President did not produce his small book to shock or offend a somnolent world; he composed it for himself, for his devotion, for his assurance, for a more restful sleep at nights and a more confident greeting of the mornings." [25]

There is no record of this or its successor being for "the Use of the Indians," despite the stated intent of the 1804 version being that purpose. Although the government long supported Christian activity among Indians,[26][27] and in Notes on the State of Virginia Jefferson supported "a perpetual mission among the Indian tribes," at least in the interest of anthropology,[28] and as President sanctioned financial support for a priest and church for the Kaskaskia Indians,[29] Jefferson did not make these works public. Instead, he acknowledged the existence of The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth to only a few friends, saying that he read it before retiring at night, as he found this project intensely personal and private.[30].
From Wiki

So despite the stated intent of the purpose, there is no record of it...

How in god's name do you twist that verse into that interpretation?

He isn't doing it in god's name.

From Wiki

So despite the stated intent of the purpose, there is no record of it...

Ainsworth Rand Spofford, Librarian of Congress (1864 –1894) stated: "His original idea was to have the life and teachings of the Saviour, told in similar excerpts, prepared for the Indians, thinking this simple form would suit them best. But, abandoning this, the formal execution of his plan took the shape above described, which was for his individual use. He used the four languages that he might have the texts in them side by side, convenient for comparison. In the book he pasted a map of the ancient world and the Holy Land, with which he studied the New Testament." [31]

Some speculate that the reference to "Indians" in the 1804 title may have been an allusion to Jefferson's Federalist opponents, as he likewise used this indirect tactic against them at least once before, that being in his second inaugural address. Or that he was providing himself a cover story in case this work became public.[32]

Also referring to the 1804 version, Jefferson wrote, "A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."[31]

Jefferson's claim to be a Christian was made in response to those who accused him of being otherwise, due to his unorthodox view of the Bible and conception of Christ. Recognizing his rather unique views, Jefferson stated in a letter (1819) to Ezra Stiles Ely, "You say you are a Calvinist. I am not. I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know."[33]

And yet the Commandments set this day apart as something unique and different.
How is it so for you?

Because I am a believer and I know what freedom Paul had in Christ. Why would I, a Gentile, saved by grace through Jesus Christ, put myself under the law?

It is written:

Blotting out the hand- writing of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink or in respect to any holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which is a shadow of things to come, but the body of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worhsipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
And not beholding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not, taste not, handle not, Which all are to perish with using after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body, not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

- Colossians 2: 14 -23

And again it is written:

If ye being risen with Christ, seek these things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When Christ who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him, in glory. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth, fornication, unclean-ness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. But now ye also put off all these things: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds. And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Sycthian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. - Colossians 3: 1 - 11

And it is written:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering, Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any, even as Christ forgave you, so also ye do. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body, and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts before the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3: 12 - 17

Then logically we can kill without consequence. After all, if we don't have to keep the fourth commandment, we dont have to keep any of them.

Not exactly. The New Testament (Christ and the Apostles) do discuss the other 9 commandments in one form or fashion. In other words, the New Testament does tell us to avoid stealing, murder, adultery, covetousness, etc. We're warned to avoid those things or to repent of them but nowhere in the New Testament are we commanded to "rest" on any particular day of the week.

Hebrews 4 does touch on the issue of "rest" but nobody is commanded to keep the 7th day (Saturday) and the "rest" spoken of is "God's rest" and not the Mosaic rest of the Old Covenant.

Hebrews 4:3, "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world."

According to this verse we "enter into rest" when we "believe." We enter into "God's rest" which is a one time rest. God rested once. We enter into His "day of rest" in recognition of His power and glory and protection.

Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

This is what I typed...
The giving of the law to Israel was a special act. Just before He gave the law to Moses, God reminded His people that they are a kingdom of priests and a holy nation (Exodus 19:6). Among all nations on the face of the earth, it was to Israel that God specially revealed His law (Romans 9:4). The law was not intended to be a burden to the people but to be a tool through which the chosen nation would reveal to the masses the moral code that was the foundation of God’s government. Israel was to be a partner with God in the mission of universal evangelism, and God’s law was to be the identifying mark for God’s spokespersons.
This explains how the Law was never JUST for the Israelites, it was for the entire world. Just like how salvation through Jesus Christ isn't JUST for Christians, it's for the entire world. Just like how the Israelites/Jews were to be a representative of God to the rest of the world, Christians are to be a representative of Jesus to the rest of the world. You are full aware of the principle that God is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow. So this should not be foreign to you.

Additionally, it means that the Sabbath COULDN'T be just for the Jews, but the entire world. It was just their responsibility to be God's representative on earth of His will.

You're telling me you didn't understand that?

[MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION]

Our Sabbatismos

Christians find complete Sabbath-like rest in Christ's finished work on the cross. Believers are to “make every effort to enter that rest,” which should be experienced "[t]oday”— every day for the Christian (Heb. 4.11 and Heb. 4.7). According to Andrew T. Lincoln, formerly a professor of New Testament at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, the author of Hebrews teaches that “the New Covenant people of God discharge their duty of Sabbath observance […] by exercising faith”; thus, believers “cease from their own works so that God may work in them” (213). The New Testament Sabbath rest is entered into daily by ceasing from one’s "works" of trying to earn salvation though keeping the old covenant law. For Christians, the Sabbath is a Person; His name is Jesus Christ, our Sabbatismos.
New Covenant Sabbath Rest - Sabbatismos Ministries: Finding Our Rest in Christ

This is an interesting interpretation because they were confused and they thought that Jesus meant the Temple Mount when Jesus meant His body. The word Temple can refer to the Jewish Temple or His body according to the dictionary:
As for the ceremonial aspects of the Mosaic law, type met antitype in the coming of Jesus. For example, Carson writes that “Jesus saw Himself as the focal point in redemptive history, for even the temple pointed to Him” (70). In John 2:19, Jesus says, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days,” referring to his own body. “In this sense, the temple does not now serve as the symbol of Christ’s mission; rather, it lived out its life as a pointer toward Christ’s mission” (Carson 75). Kenneth E. Bailey, lecturer and emeritus research professor of Middle Eastern New Testament studies for the Tantur Ecumenical Institute writes, “Throughout the New Testament there is witness to the astounding fact that a person had replaced a building” (328). Similarly, in His atoning death on Calvary, Jesus is the “Passover lamb” (1 Cor. 5.7). Today, there are even a growing number of Christians who see Jesus as the fulfillment of the Sabbath commandment. Rather than being a moral obligation as the other nine commandments of the Decalogue, New Covenant Theology understands the Sabbath as foreshadowing the rest of grace found through saving faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus’ own words in Matthew 11:28 hint at this New Covenant reality: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” As Jesus replaced the temple in which Israel worshiped, so, too, the Person of Christ both replaces and transcends a day of rest and worship. Carson explains that the “Sabbath is another of the Old Testament pointers to the messianic rest” (75). This conclusion “agrees with Matthew’s fulfillment motifs. The gospel rest to which the Sabbath had always pointed” appeared in the person of Jesus (Carson 75).

New Covenant Implications of the Transfiguration - Sabbatismos Ministries: Finding Our Rest in Christ

I've been trying to discover the difference between sabbaton and sabbatisimos. Sabbatisimos is basically a Greek suffix added to a Hebrew word and it only occurs once in Hebrews 4:9. I think it means a cessation. The Sabbath (sabbaton) is only a temporary cessation whereas our rest (sabbatisimos) is an eternal cessation.
There is a parallel between Hebrews 4:10 and Genesis 2:2-3 because God rested while Adam and Eve didn't perpetually rest isn't something a Sabbatarian thinks about. The rest of sabbatisimos speaks of another day or cessation.
1.) The word "rest" in v. 9 is not sabbaton, "Sabbath," but sabbatismos. Paul could have said "There remaineth the Sabbath to the people of God," but he said, under inspiration, "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God." The word sabbaton, Sabbath, is used 68 times in the New Testament. The Holy Spirit deliberately did NOT use that word here, because He intended to convey something different.

2.) The rest spoken of was not entered into by unsaved Jews who kept the Sabbath in the wilderness, v. 5, cf. Psalm 95:7-11. God swore in His wrath that they would not enter into His rest, Psalm 95:11, v. 5 (The "if they shall enter" in Hebrews 4:5 is an idiomatic way of saying "they shall not enter"; note the Hebrews 3:11 translates Greek identical to Hebrews 4:5 as "they shall not enter," etc.)
-Brother Daniel

Therefore it can't be exactly the same word.

I disagree.
There's really nothing to disagree with my brother, it's all there in Scripture.

Consider this write-up...

For every truth in the Word of God, Satan always has a lie to come against it and it is our responsibility to seek out the truth and not just embrace the lie. Below you will find the real truth on the Greek definition of sabbatismos and not the lies spoken by antisabbatarians that sadly are unwittingly helping our adversary.

It was only in the last decade as many began teaching how this passage explains that a literal Sabbath keeping remains for the children of God that heretical web sites like got questions started teaching that this verse means Jesus is our Sabbath. But on careful Biblical exegesis of this verse and passage it becomes very apparent that it says no such thing and neither does the rest of this chapter. The truth seeker will notice that sites like got questions have no specific scripture that state Jesus is the Sabbath and you will note they use what is known as eisegesis.Hebrews 4:9 and the meaning of Sabbatismos

Here is Hebrews 4:9 “There remaineth therefore a [Sabbath] rest to the people of God.” Parenthesis are added.

The Greek word for “rest” in this verse is “sabbatismos” which literally means “Sabbath keeping” or “Sabbath observance.”

A few Bibles including the King James have translated this word as “rest” while the Amplified, ASV, NASB, NIV, RSV and NRSV and many other translations have more correctly translated this Greek word as “Sabbath rest.” The literal translation of the Greek word “sabbatismos” however is “Sabbath observance.” Note also that “The Scriptures” translated by The Institute for Scripture Research also translate the Greek word “sabbatismos” correctly as “Sabbath observance.”

The Thayer dictionary and the Bible in Basic English also translate this Greek word correctly to an equally literal phrase of “Sabbath keeping.”

Professor Andrew T. Lincoln in his symposium “From Sabbath To The Lord’s Day” states the following in regards to taking the Greek word “Sabbatismos” literally.

Thus it does not matter how those opposing the truth of this passage try and twist its true meaning, as the true meaning of this word does in fact show that a literal Sabbath keeping remains for the children of God.

The other important factor is that God also gave His Sabbath so that we would obtain at least one day of rest each week that without we would eventually burn out and become ill. Knowing Christ does not and cannot give you physical rest. If you work non stop all week, you will become exhausted whether you know Christ or not. Only by a literal keeping of the Sabbath will we and can we obtain the physical rest we require. But this day is not just about a sabbatismos rest as Hebrews 4:9 states. Several scriptures state that it is also a sign that it is God we love and worship and God that sanctifies us making us His holy children. This day is a blessing and quality time fellowshipping and worshipping with others, and yet it seems many Christians have been driven to a mind set that the Lord's Sabbath is something to be avoided at any cost. Such people have no idea what they are missing out on and how God truly feels about those who look forward to putting this day aside for His holy purpose that demonstrates to God how much they truly love Him.

Jesus also said that not so much as a comma of His law is going to change as long as Heaven and Earth remain. (Matthew 5:18, Luke 16:17) The fourth being the Sabbath is larger than the last six Commandments, and to say Jesus is the Sabbath literally abolishes the largest of all the Commandments and a whole lot more than a comma. Scripture does not lie or contradict. See were the Ten Commandments abolished for more on Matthew 5:17-19.

Source: Hebrews 4:9 - What Is The Greek Definition Of Sabbatismos

[MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION]

Last edited:
this is what i typed...
This explains how the law was never just for the israelites, it was for the entire world. Just like how salvation through jesus christ isn't just for christians, it's for the entire world. Just like how the israelites/jews were to be a representative of god to the rest of the world, christians are to be a representative of jesus to the rest of the world. You are full aware of the principle that god is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow. So this should not be foreign to you.

Additionally, it means that the sabbath couldn't be just for the jews, but the entire world. It was just their responsibility to be god's representative on earth of his will.

You're telling me you didn't understand that?

[mention=44368]chuckt[/mention]

i disagree.
there's really nothing to disagree with my brother, it's all there in scripture.

Consider this write-up...

hebrews 4:9 - what is the greek definition of sabbatismos

for every truth in the word of god, satan always has a lie to come against it and it is our responsibility to seek out the truth and not just embrace the lie. Below you will find the real truth on the greek definition of sabbatismos and not the lies spoken by antisabbatarians that sadly are unwittingly helping our adversary.

It was only in the last decade as many began teaching how this passage explains that a literal sabbath keeping remains for the children of god that heretical web sites like got questions started teaching that this verse means jesus is our sabbath. But on careful biblical exegesis of this verse and passage it becomes very apparent that it says no such thing and neither does the rest of this chapter. The truth seeker will notice that sites like got questions have no specific scripture that state jesus is the sabbath and you will note they use what is known as eisegesis.hebrews 4:9 and the meaning of sabbatismos

here is hebrews 4:9 “there remaineth therefore a [sabbath] rest to the people of god.” parenthesis are added.

The greek word for “rest” in this verse is “sabbatismos” which literally means “sabbath keeping” or “sabbath observance.”

a few bibles including the king james have translated this word as “rest” while the amplified, asv, nasb, niv, rsv and nrsv and many other translations have more correctly translated this greek word as “sabbath rest.” the literal translation of the greek word “sabbatismos” however is “sabbath observance.” note also that “the scriptures” translated by the institute for scripture research also translate the greek word “sabbatismos” correctly as “sabbath observance.”

the thayer dictionary and the bible in basic english also translate this greek word correctly to an equally literal phrase of “sabbath keeping.”

professor andrew t. Lincoln in his symposium “from sabbath to the lord’s day” states the following in regards to taking the greek word “sabbatismos” literally.

Thus it does not matter how those opposing the truth of this passage try and twist its true meaning, as the true meaning of this word does in fact show that a literal sabbath keeping remains for the children of god.

The other important factor is that god also gave his sabbath so that we would obtain at least one day of rest each week that without we would eventually burn out and become ill. Knowing christ does not and cannot give you physical rest. If you work non stop all week, you will become exhausted whether you know christ or not. Only by a literal keeping of the sabbath will we and can we obtain the physical rest we require. But this day is not just about a sabbatismos rest as hebrews 4:9 states. Several scriptures state that it is also a sign that it is god we love and worship and god that sanctifies us making us his holy children. This day is a blessing and quality time fellowshipping and worshipping with others, and yet it seems many christians have been driven to a mind set that the lord's sabbath is something to be avoided at any cost. Such people have no idea what they are missing out on and how god truly feels about those who look forward to putting this day aside for his holy purpose that demonstrates to god how much they truly love him.

Jesus also said that not so much as a comma of his law is going to change as long as heaven and earth remain. (matthew 5:18, luke 16:17) the fourth being the sabbath is larger than the last six commandments, and to say jesus is the sabbath literally abolishes the largest of all the commandments and a whole lot more than a comma. Scripture does not lie or contradict. See were the ten commandments abolished for more on matthew 5:17-19.

[mention=44368]chuckt[/mention]

our choice= god's word or man's ideas and opinion!!! I chose god's word!!!

Forum List

Back