Keeping the Sabbath Holy

JESUS WAS ATTACKED MOST BY THE "religious leaders(pharisees) of His time on earth,they said JESUS was wrong because JESUS and His followers did not obey their sabbath laws. wow!!! little man saying they are better and know more than GOD!!!

Some truth to your post but the very nations who were supposed to uphold the law as a light to the rest of the world failed to do so.
The Mosaic Covenant (as I posted earlier) was conditional. The Israelites failed to uphold their end of the agreement.
That's what a Covenant is ... a contract between at least two parties.

Prior to the Mosaic Covenant there was no Levitical Priesthood to administer much of the Covenant regulations.
Levi (the priest tribe) didn't exist until AFTER Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
The priest that Abraham dealt with or spoke with was Melchizedek, not the Levites. Different priesthood.

Christ is now our high priest and animal sacrifice (an important aspect of the Mosaic Covenant) has been done away with as has the Mosaic Temple.
The temple, today, is the body of the Christian individual and Christian individuals as a whole and Christ is a priest in the order of Melchizedek.

Hebrew 5:9-10 (speaking of Christ), "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec."
You're assuming that God rescinded his part of the agreement. Where is the evidence for this?

"Prior to the Mosaic Covenant..." I assume you're referring to more than the Ten Commandments, because you mentioned "administrer much of the Covenant regulations."

Exodus 19:6 shows where God told His people they were to be priests. This was right before He gave them the Commandments. Peter refers backs that up in The New Testament in 1 Peter 2:9

Well you are aware that all those were added by man, thus not by God. Yes, THOSE were done away with with Christ. However, the Ten Commandments still stands.

Yes, it's true that it's about the individual now rather than the nation, meaning that post Christ the nation was judged as a whole, so if one sinned, many were doomed type of things. Post Christ we have a personal Advocate in Christ.

And, yes, of course they failed to keep the Commandments, because they are human, and therefore subject to fail, that was always going to happen because there's only ONE perfect human being that worked this earth and that our Living Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

I've stated before, that everything in the Old Testaments points to Christ, and everything in the New Testament look back on what Christ did, so the entire Bible is about Jesus. Themewise of course.

Certainly, someone will come along and say: "Ah ... but God rested on the 7th day."
So, before they do, let's ask if He also rested on the 14th day; the 21st day; the 28th day; etc.
The answer is no.
Nowhere is Adam, Seth, Enos, Cainan, [SIZE=-1]Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Methuselah, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Lamech, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob (Israel) ever commanded to keep a Sabbath day.[/SIZE]
You are ABSOLUTELY correct that there's no explicit text citing any "command" to any of those people you mentioned, but there's no need to, because God already stated this in the beginning.

In Genesis 2:3-4 we see where God specifically set the Sabbath day apart for all other days. It states He blessed it AND sanctified it, and of course rested on the Sabbath day. Not sure what point you're trying to make with the 14th, 212st, 28th, etc days, as if humans don't operate on the 7-day cycle. Respectfully, that's totally bogus. Now way to soft-peddle that one.

Furthermore, when God gave it to the the Jews, he used the word "Remember." We all know you can only remember something that was previously told to you before. So there's ample evidence in Scripture clearly indicating that the Sabbath is not only important for mankind to keep, but for ALL mankind, not just the Jews.

You see, the Exodus text points to Creation, when God establisehd Sabbath for all humanity. the Sabbath is a symbol not only of Creation but of Redemption, two themes that are linked with each other in the Bible (Heb. 1:1-3, Col. 1:13-20, John 1:1-14)

The Lord has asked us to make one day of the week Holy. If we are treating everyday the same, I am not sure if we are keeping it.
Yes my brother, you are correct. Moreover than just A day Holy, He gave us a SPECIFIC day to keep Holy, as I illustrated above.

Excellent point!
God separated the 7th Day for HIMSELF and didn't find any human worthy of receiving it until after the Exodus from Egypt.
Again, another misconception. It wasn't for Himself, he states this SPECIFICALLY in His Word. Look at what Jesus said in Mark 2:27

I mean, God's Word is very clear concerning this matter.
[MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION] [MENTION=854]Avatar4321[/MENTION] [MENTION=46133]Indeependent[/MENTION] [MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION]

Last edited:
=MarcATL;9235146]
You're assuming that God rescinded his part of the agreement. Where is the evidence for this?
Sorry for the late response. During the day I have to post in between customer walk-ins and phone calls so I don't like to start lengthy posts that will be interrupted.

God didn't necessarily rescind His portion of the Mosaic Covenant agreement. Israel did! The Covenant was conditional. God said He would do that IF Israel would do this. Big "if." But the most telling proof is God's promise that He would make a "New Covenant" with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. A New Covenant replaces an Old Covenant. I can provide lots of Scripture if you so wish.

=MarcATL;9235146]"Prior to the Mosaic Covenant..." I assume you're referring to more than the Ten Commandments, because you mentioned "administrer much of the Covenant regulations."
The Mosaic Covenant includes the 10 Commandments as well as a plethora of statutes, judgments, and ordinances (all commanded by God). The entire Covenant is all inclusive and structured in such a way as to include the Levitical Priesthood; the Temple services (including animal sacrifice); various punishments for wrongdoings (including stoning); etc. So, if any portion of that Covenant is still binding then the entire Covenant is still binding. No picking and choosing. All or nothing.

=MarcATL;9235146]Exodus 19:6 shows where God told His people they were to be priests. This was right before He gave them the Commandments. Peter refers backs that up in The New Testament in 1 Peter 2:9
There were "priests" prior to the Mosaic Covenant; then there were priests (of the specific tribe of Levi) that administered the edicts of the Mosaic Covenant (during that long era); and then priests of the New Covenant. The term "priest" can have a broad definition but can be more narrowly defined by the tenets of the Covenant being administered. We could consider Paul to be a "priest" but Paul was of the tribe of Benjamin - not Levi. We do consider Jesus Christ our "high Priest" but He was of the tribe of Judah (not Levi) and a priest in the order of Melchizedek (not Aaron or Moses who were Levites). So the Old Covenant has been replaced by the New.

=MarcATL;9235146]Well you are aware that all those were added by man, thus not by God. Yes, THOSE were done away with with Christ. However, the Ten Commandments still stands.
I'm assuming that you're talking about the Old Testament ordinances. I can list many, many ordinances and statues that came from the mouth of God. Animal sacrifice was commanded by God and stoning folks for various reasons were commanded by God. Now by the time Jesus Christ appeared on the scene the Pharisees had certainly added lots of man-made edicts and false doctrines to their various religious rites and ceremonies.

=MarcATL;9235146]Yes, it's true that it's about the individual now rather than the nation, meaning that post Christ the nation was judged as a whole, so if one sinned, many were doomed type of things. Post Christ we have a personal Advocate in Christ.
Yes. He's our personal Advocate, High Priest, King, and Testator of the New Covenant written in His blood. It's a better Covenant built on better promises. It's not an extension of the Old Covenant but a completely New Covenant.

=MarcATL;9235146]And, yes, of course they failed to keep the Commandments, because they are human, and therefore subject to fail, that was always going to happen because there's only ONE perfect human being that worked this earth and that our Living Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
Agreed.

=MarcATL;9235146]I've stated before, that everything in the Old Testaments points to Christ, and everything in the New Testament look back on what Christ did, so the entire Bible is about Jesus. Themewise of course.
Agreed again. The Old is a shadow of things to come.

Hebrews 10:1, "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect."

=MarcATL;9235146]You are ABSOLUTELY correct that there's no explicit text citing any "command" to any of those people you mentioned, but there's no need to, because God already stated this in the beginning.
There are many different Sabbaths spoken of in the Old Testament. But God's rest in Genesis is not on the same level or defined in the same manner as the 4th Commandment Sabbath is. That Sabbath was a sign between God and His chosen people, the Israelites (all 12 tribes). God didn't make this agreement with the Philistines or the Canaanites or the Egyptians. The agreement was made with Israel. Now God's rest in Genesis was His rest and simply a description of what He did after He was finished with Creation. It was certainly a Holy event and He did establish a 7 day cycle (which has remained in use ever since even unto this day) but He commanded nobody to rest nor did He include such a command in the Adamic/Edenic Covenant. Read more about that Covenant here: What is the Adamic covenant?

=MarcATL;9235146]In Genesis 2:3-4 we see where God specifically set the Sabbath day apart for all other days. It states He blessed it AND sanctified it, and of course rested on the Sabbath day. Not sure what point you're trying to make with the 14th, 212st, 28th, etc days, as if humans don't operate on the 7-day cycle. Respectfully, that's totally bogus. Now way to soft-peddle that one.
The point I was making about God's rest is that He didn't continue to rest every 7 days as the Israelites were commanded to do under the Mosaic Covenant. There was no recurring cycle established. But if God desired for man to keep a cyclic, ongoing Sabbath then I believe He would have made it perfectly clear. He made other commands during that era unquestionably clear but not a peep about keeping a weekly Sabbath. We're free to assume that He meant it but we would be forced to speculate.

=MarcATL;9235146]Furthermore, when God gave it to the the Jews, he used the word "Remember." We all know you can only remember something that was previously told to you before. So there's ample evidence in Scripture clearly indicating that the Sabbath is not only important for mankind to keep, but for ALL mankind, not just the Jews.
The word "Jew" is representative of the single tribe of Judah (and possibly Benjamin). Technically, the other 11 (or 10) tribes are not Jews. But that's a different topic for another thread. I heard a Televangelist the other day emphatically state that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were Jews. That's just a total falsehood. They were Hebrews (Eber) and Semitic (Shem). If Abraham was a Jew then his offspring would also be Jews. That would make all Arabs -- Jews. See the problem?

Anyway, keeping a cyclic Sabbath was of utmost importance under the Mosaic Covenant. So important that God Commanded it under no uncertain terms. It was so important that a man was stoned to death for gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. But no Egyptians, Philistines, or Canaanites were stoned to death for breaking the Sabbath. So, based on what we read in Scripture we must believe that only the Israelites were Commanded to keep the Sabbath and only while bound by the edicts of the Old Covenant.

=MarcATL;9235146]You see, the Exodus text points to Creation, when God establisehd Sabbath for all humanity. the Sabbath is a symbol not only of Creation but of Redemption, two themes that are linked with each other in the Bible (Heb. 1:1-3, Col. 1:13-20, John 1:1-14)

Christ is both our Redeemer and our Sabbath. Me resting this Saturday isn't going to make me any more saved. By the same token, if I mow my lawn this Saturday I will not be sent to hell.
Keeping a physical Sabbath won't redeem me. To redeem is to "buy back." Christ's blood paid our penalty and purchased our eternal life ... not Saturday rest.

So the Atonement is now an excuse to ignore the Lord's commandments?

CULT MEMBERS!!!WISE UP OR BEGONE!!When He (JESUS)said “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works

I'm a bit confused with, "laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works".
I thought works were meaningless and you were dependent solely on God's grace.

[MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION], it took me an hour and a half or more to compile that last comprehensive response.

I'll have to come back to this when I'm able to dedicate some time.

What are the Lord's Commandments under the New Covenant? I'm assuming, of course, that you realize the Old Covenant has been replaced by the New Covenant. If you've read the book of Hebrews then you certainly know that - right?

Hebrews 8:7-10, "For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:"
Hebrews 8:13, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

There are other New Testament Scriptures that make it clear that we are under a New Covenant.

But if folks insist that we are still bound by the Old Covenant then they must insist that we must atone for our sins by sacrificing goats or that we must stone Sabbath-breakers to death. That is unless they wish to pick and choose WHICH portions of the Old Covenant they want to keep and which portions they choose to ignore. The Old Covenant laid out the rules of the Covenant in very clear terms. Either you're all in or you're not.

That's not to say that there aren't commandments under the New Covenant but nobody can find a single command to keep a particular day of rest. It's simply not there. That's not to say that I have anything against anyone who chooses to completely rest on Saturday (the seventh day) but there is simply no explicit command to do so. If it were of utmost importance then certainly God/Christ would have left no doubt in anyone's mind.

Last edited:
@DriftingSand , it took me an hour and a half or more to compile that last comprehensive response.

I'll have to come back to this when I'm able to dedicate some time.

I understand. It takes time to think these things out. I appreciate your civil nature and willingness to discuss these things in an intelligent and level-headed manner.

CULT MEMBERS!!!WISE UP OR BEGONE!!When He (JESUS)said “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27), Jesus was attesting to the fact that just as the Sabbath day was originally instituted to give man rest from his labors, so did He come to provide us rest from laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works

I'm a bit confused with, "laboring to achieve our own salvation by our works".
I thought works were meaningless and you were dependent solely on God's grace.

Some folks do teach that but I share James' response to such ideas. He says that "faith without works is dead, being alone." But when we really read what he was saying we find that he's talking about putting our faith into Christian action. That is to say that when we see someone in need (hungry, ill-clothed, hurt, etc.) that we are to actually DO something to help them out. James chapter 2 explains it better than I can.

Sabbatarianism

”The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27).

The point which Jesus made is that the Sabbath was not instituted to enslave people, but to benefit them.

according to Colossians 2:17, the Sabbath was “a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.”

The Sabbath observance was associated with redemption in Deuteronomy 5:15

The spirit of Sabbath observance is continued in the NT observance of rest and worship on the first day of the week.

New Testament believers are not under the OT Law (Rom. 6:14; Gal. 3:24-25).

the early church was given the pattern of Sunday worship by His resurrection on the first day of the week (Matt. 28:1)

His continued appearances on succeeding Sundays (John 20:26), and the descent of the Holy Spirit on Sunday (Acts 2:1)

the early church was given the pattern of Sunday worship. This they did regularly (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2).

Sunday worship was further hallowed by our Lord who appeared to John in that last great vision on “the Lord’s Day” (Rev. 1:10).

It is for these reasons that Christians worship on Sunday, rather than on the Jewish Sabbath.

"Let no man therefore judge you, in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:"-Colossians 2:16

"..no man is justified by the LAW in the sight of God.."-Galatians 3:11

"..the law was our schoolmaster.." (Gal 3:24) and "..we are no longer under a schoolmaster.." Gal 3:25

God blotted out the ordinances and nailed it to Jesus' cross (Colossians 2:14) see Heb. 7:12

-material by Dr. Norman Geisler put into chat format by me

Why Christians observe the sabbath on Sunday

The cult of Mithraism or sun-worship was the official religion of the Roman Empire. It stood as the greatest competitor to the new Christian religion. It had its own organization, temples, priesthood, robes—everything. It also had an official worship day on which special homage was given to the sun. That day was called “The Venerable Day of the Sun.” It was the first day of the week, and from it we get our name Sunday. When Constantine pressed his pagan hordes into the church they were observing the day of the sun for their adoration of the sun god. It was their special holy day. In order to make it more convenient for them to make the change to the new religion, Constantine accepted their day of worship, Sunday, instead of the Christian Sabbath which had been observed by Jesus and His disciples. Remember that the way had been prepared for this already by the increasing anti-Jewish feelings against those who were accused of putting Jesus to death. Those feelings would naturally condition many Christians to swing away from something which was held religiously by the Jews. It is therefore easier to understand how the change was imposed on Christianity through a strong civil law issued by Constantine as the Emperor of Rome. The very wording of that law, by the way, can be found in any reliable encyclopedia. Those early Christians, feeling that the Jews should not be followed any more than necessary, were ready to swing away from the Sabbath which was kept by the Jews.

Why Christians observe the sabbath on Sunday

The cult of Mithraism or sun-worship was the official religion of the Roman Empire. It stood as the greatest competitor to the new Christian religion. It had its own organization, temples, priesthood, robes—everything. It also had an official worship day on which special homage was given to the sun. That day was called “The Venerable Day of the Sun.” It was the first day of the week, and from it we get our name Sunday. When Constantine pressed his pagan hordes into the church they were observing the day of the sun for their adoration of the sun god. It was their special holy day. In order to make it more convenient for them to make the change to the new religion, Constantine accepted their day of worship, Sunday, instead of the Christian Sabbath which had been observed by Jesus and His disciples. Remember that the way had been prepared for this already by the increasing anti-Jewish feelings against those who were accused of putting Jesus to death. Those feelings would naturally condition many Christians to swing away from something which was held religiously by the Jews. It is therefore easier to understand how the change was imposed on Christianity through a strong civil law issued by Constantine as the Emperor of Rome. The very wording of that law, by the way, can be found in any reliable encyclopedia. Those early Christians, feeling that the Jews should not be followed any more than necessary, were ready to swing away from the Sabbath which was kept by the Jews.

We can say the same of Christmas and Easter, both represent pagan traditionalism.

Thanks to the Mosaic law, we now have weekends to enjoy. Before that time mankind were essentially slaves working 24/7.

It is then too bad that some today use the laws that were designed to give us freedom are used to enslave once again. They even accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath.

Sabbath References from Scripture

Old Testament

Genesis 2:1-3, tells us that...
The Sabbath was instituted at Creation and was made sacred by God.

Exodus 16:26, tells us that...
The Sabbath was kept by God's people before the law was given on Mr. Sinai, thus showing its pre-existence to the written law.

Exodus 20:8-11, tells us that...
The 4th commandment points to God's created day, making it impossible to change.

Deuteronomy 9:10, tells us that...
God's law was given to Moses and was written by God's own finger.

Deuteronomy 31:26, tells us that...
Moses' law, given by God and written by Moses, was placed in the side of the ark.

Psalm 89:34, tells us that...
God will not alter or change His law.

Isaiah 66:22-33, tells us that...
The Sabbath will still be kept in the new earth, thus it will stand forever!

New Testament

Matthew 5:17-19, tells us that...
Jesus' death on the cross did not abolish the Ten Commandments.

Matthew 12:8, tells us that...
As the Creator of the Sabbath day, Jesus is also Lord of His Creation.

Matthew 24:20, tells us that...
Christ would not have told His followers to pray this prayer after His death if the law was to be done away with at the cross.

Mark 2:27, tells us that...
Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for everyone, not just for the Jewish nation.

Luke 23:56, tells us that...
If the Ten Commandments were done away with at the cross, His followers would not have rested on the Sabbath day following His crucifixion.

John 14:15, tells us that
Out of love for Christ, we will naturally want to keep His commandments.

Romans 3:31, tells us that...
By faith in God, we can walk in newness of life. As the Holy Spirit continues to change us, our love for Him will increase and so will the desire and ability to keep His commandments.

Romans 6:15, tells us that...
Once we give our lives to Jesus, His sacrifice covers our sins. This does not leave us free to continue in sin, for God's grace and power will help us to overcome sin.

Colossians 2:14, tells us that...
These ordinances were contained in the Mosaic law that pointed to Christ. They were no longer necessary once He fulfilled their purpose at the cross.

James 2:10, tells us that...
If we choose to break just one of God's Ten Commandments we are still at fault, even if we keep all the rest.

Revelation 22:14, tells us that...
Those who love God will, by His grace, keep His commandments and have eternal life.

[MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION], [MENTION=44368]Chuckt[/MENTION], [MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION], [MENTION=27958]LadyGunSlinger[/MENTION], [MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION], [MENTION=40768]Votto[/MENTION], [MENTION=42952]GISMYS[/MENTION], [MENTION=854]Avatar4321[/MENTION]

The verses you've posted don't necessarily match the paraphrased opinions that accompany them. For instance, Matthew 5:17-19 doesn't exactly say what the paraphrased opinion seems to indicate. Christ didn't not come to do away with the law but He did come to "fulfill" the law.

Here's the train of thought:

John 15:13, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Christ expressed love in the greatest manner possible -- by laying down His life for us. That leads us to the following verses:

Romans 13:10, "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

Matthew 7:12, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

Galatians 5:14, "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Romans 13:8, "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law."

James 2:8, "If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:"

The Old Covenant laws of Moses were specifically written to and for the 12 tribes of Israel. Christians are not bound by that Old Covenant. We are now under a New Covenant by which we will find no commandment that we should set aside a specific day of the week for rest. Our rest is in Jesus Christ:

Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

The "jots and tittles" of the Old Covenant were "fulfilled" by Christ. The New Covenant has literally replaced the Old Covenant:

Hebrews 8:13, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Hebrews 7:22, "By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament."

Now I have nothing against anyone who wishes to worship Christ on a particular day of the week and make that particular day a special day. However, Jesus Christ and the Apostles never command any of their disciples to keep a 7th day Sabbath.

John 1:17
, "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

Galatians 5:18
, "But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law."

Romans 6:14, "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

If we're to follow the laws of the Old Covenant then we are bound to keep ALL of them for if we fail to keep one then we're guilty of breaking all:

James 2:10-11, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law."

That means that if we are to literally "keep" every "jot and tittle" of the law then we must stone adulterers, sabbath-breakers, and other sinners when we catch them committing certain sins. That's the law!!

@Chuckt , @Jeremiah , @LadyGunSlinger , @GISMYS , @Avatar4321 , [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION]

Last edited:
The Jewish perspective is that Shabbes is given to the Jewish, not the rest of the world and as a gift from god to us.
You can be non-Jewish and believe in god and you are ordered for 7 commands which called '7 laws of Noah' which wasn't a Jew but still saint.
Seven Laws of Noah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Those apply also to Jewish but with 606 other commands and the rest is commands by elder rabbies..
Shabbes is not included for non-Jewish who believe in god, Not keeping Shabbes doesn't make you a sinner - but do keeping Shabbes make you a sinner because this is act of spirituality god did not order.

And yet the Commandments set this day apart as something unique and different.
How is it so for you?

Because I am a believer and I know what freedom Paul had in Christ. Why would I, a Gentile, saved by grace through Jesus Christ, put myself under the law?

It is written:

Blotting out the hand- writing of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink or in respect to any holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which is a shadow of things to come, but the body of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worhsipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
And not beholding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not, taste not, handle not, Which all are to perish with using after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body, not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

- Colossians 2: 14 -23

And again it is written:

If ye being risen with Christ, seek these things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When Christ who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him, in glory. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth, fornication, unclean-ness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. But now ye also put off all these things: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds. And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Sycthian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. - Colossians 3: 1 - 11

And it is written:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering, Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any, even as Christ forgave you, so also ye do. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body, and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts before the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3: 12 - 17
So, though not a jot or tiddle will pass away, the Ten Commandments HAVE passed away for you?
Is this a fair summary of your understanding?

Christ fulfilled them for us, and gave us 2 commandments to follow under our new covenant with Him, love our Father and each other. According to Christ, if you do that, you have successfully kept the Law. He is our justification.

Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor".

John 13:34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other, .... For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Romans 13:8 Owe nothing to anyone--except for your obligation to love one another. ... For the one who loves another has fulfilled the Law. ...

Galatians 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. .... For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Last edited:
Because I am a believer and I know what freedom Paul had in Christ. Why would I, a Gentile, saved by grace through Jesus Christ, put myself under the law?

It is written:

Blotting out the hand- writing of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink or in respect to any holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which is a shadow of things to come, but the body of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worhsipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
And not beholding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Touch not, taste not, handle not, Which all are to perish with using after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body, not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

- Colossians 2: 14 -23

And again it is written:

If ye being risen with Christ, seek these things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When Christ who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him, in glory. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth, fornication, unclean-ness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence and covetousness, which is idolatry:

For which things sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. But now ye also put off all these things: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds. And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Sycthian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. - Colossians 3: 1 - 11

And it is written:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering, Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any, even as Christ forgave you, so also ye do. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body, and be ye thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts before the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3: 12 - 17
So, though not a jot or tiddle will pass away, the Ten Commandments HAVE passed away for you?
Is this a fair summary of your understanding?

Christ fulfilled them for us, and gave us 2 commandments to follow under our new covenant with Him, love our Father and love each other. According to Christ, if you do that, you have successfully kept the Law.

Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor". :eusa_angel:

Well said

The verses you've posted don't necessarily match the paraphrased opinions that accompany them. For instance, Matthew 5:17-19 doesn't exactly say what the paraphrased opinion seems to indicate. Christ didn't not come to do away with the law but He did come to "fulfill" the law.

Here's the train of thought:

John 15:13, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Christ expressed love in the greatest manner possible -- by laying down His life for us. That leads us to the following verses:

Romans 13:10, "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."

Matthew 7:12, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

Galatians 5:14, "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Romans 13:8, "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law."

James 2:8, "If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:"

The Old Covenant laws of Moses were specifically written to and for the 12 tribes of Israel. Christians are not bound by that Old Covenant. We are now under a New Covenant by which we will find no commandment that we should set aside a specific day of the week for rest. Our rest is in Jesus Christ:

Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

The "jots and tittles" of the Old Covenant were "fulfilled" by Christ. The New Covenant has literally replaced the Old Covenant:

2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Hebrews 7:22, "By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament."

Now I have nothing against anyone who wishes to worship Christ on a particular day of the week and make that particular day a special day. However, Jesus Christ and the Apostles never command any of their disciples to keep a 7th day Sabbath.

John 1:17
, "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

Galatians 5:18
, "But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law."

Romans 6:14, "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

If we're to follow the laws of the Old Covenant then we are bound to keep ALL of them for if we fail to keep one then we're guilty of breaking all:

James 2:10-11, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law."

That means that if we are to literally "keep" every "jot and tittle" of the law then we must stone adulterers, sabbath-breakers, and other sinners when we catch them committing certain sins. That's the law!!

@Chuckt , @Jeremiah , @LadyGunSlinger , @GISMYS , @Avatar4321 , [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION]
Actually, none of the texts you've given counters what I stated.

Are you able to identify those texts that aren't necessarily what the accompanied explanaitions are and provide your own understandnig of them?

That would be a more meaningful step forward in our discourse.

Thanks.

[MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION]

Forum List

Back