Zone1 Lawsuit alleges Harvard gives preferential treatment to legacy admissions, who are ‘overwhelmingly’ White

The problem with AA Admissions is that they weren't really benefiting the poor black kid from the ghetto, they benefit the affluent black kid from the suburbs whose parents were lucky or hard working enough to make it.
In what way is benefitting any Black people who had previously been denied opportunities a problem?

And being poor doesn't mean being mentally deficient. A poor Black student who is admitted would have the same access to scholarships, grants and loans that anyone else would, correct? How is that a bad thing? And how does this not help that student coming from poverty?

• Winner
Reactions: IM2
This has nothing to do with race. These colleges have been graduating blacks at least since 1970. Every one of those blacks can claim a legacy spot for their children. Either they don't want to donate in the amounts that are necessary to secure a spot. Or, their affirmative action education didn't result in a high enough income to allow them to be this charitable.
“Teflon Theory of American History.”

“Anything that took place over 30 years ago is Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on the present. Or not much. Unless it was something good like the light bulb or the Declaration of Independence. Therefore those who make a big deal of the bad stuff in the past, like slavery, are Living in the Past and need to Get Over It.

Jim Crow laws were overturned by the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore according to Teflon Theory the Jim Crow period is now Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on how White Americans alive today think and act. None whatsoever. Or not much. So racism is pretty much dead.

Instead of Jim Crow’s effect slowly weakening over time like you would expect, Teflon Theory would have you suppose that it just disappeared like magic one afternoon sometime in the late 1960s. Even though many White Americans alive now were alive back in Jim Crow times. Even though many others were brought up and shaped by those who were alive back then: parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, writers, film directors, television producers, news editors and so on.”

This is what right-wing whites think justifies their opposition to Affirmative Action. The stroke of a pen made racism magically vaporize and no one today is impacted by the legacy of that racism.

Because they don't need it. Except for a few intersectional feminists, most women know that they can rise or fall on their own merits. They don't need set-asides for jobs at this point.
Our government does not agree:

The Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises (OMWBE) certifies small businesses owned and controlled by minority, women, and socially and economically disadvantaged persons. OMWBE certifies business in order to increase contracting opportunities for certified businesses with state and local governments.

Last edited:
In what way is benefitting any Black people who had previously been denied opportunities a problem?

And being poor doesn't mean being mentally deficient. A poor Black student who is admitted would have the same access to scholarships, grants and loans that anyone else would, correct? How is that a bad thing? And how does this not help that student coming from poverty?
With the exception of Coyote and a couple of other we are in the midst of a group of people either with amnesia or dementia. Because they ignore how long whites have been given help. And the excuse of whites pay taxes forgets that we also pay taxes and most of our tax money has helped whites. So as the great Angela Davis has said:

“We live in a society of an imposed forgetfulness, a society that depends on public amnesia.”

“Teflon Theory of American History.”

“Anything that took place over 30 years ago is Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on the present. Or not much. Unless it was something good like the light bulb or the Declaration of Independence. Therefore those who make a big deal of the bad stuff in the past, like slavery, are Living in the Past and need to Get Over It.

Jim Crow laws were overturned by the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s. Therefore according to Teflon Theory the Jim Crow period is now Ancient History. It has Absolutely No Effect on how White Americans alive today think and act. None whatsoever. Or not much. So racism is pretty much dead.

Instead of Jim Crow’s effect slowly weakening over time like you would expect, Teflon Theory would have you suppose that it just disappeared like magic one afternoon sometime in the late 1960s. Even though many White Americans alive now were alive back in Jim Crow times. Even though many others were brought up and shaped by those who were alive back then: parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, writers, film directors, television producers, news editors and so on.”

This is what right-wing whites think justifies their opposition to Affirmative Action. The stroke of a pen made racism magically vaporize and no one today is impacted by the legacy of that racism.
So.... blacks don't think their kids are worth paying for a legacy spot. Thanks for clearing that up.

That doesn't address the question. Does your opposition to legacy admissions extend to HBCU or just to traditionally white ones? IOW, are legacy admissions universally negative in your eyes (it would seem so, since you always complain about them) or not?
White racists automatically default to the "lack of merit" argument when it comes to Black people and always it is alleged that Black people are displacing "substantially more qualified" white people when they are given job opportunities allegedly "not due to merit but solely based on skin color".

As long as we're talking about Black people, the "lack of merit" and "only due to skin color" is the default, yet when it comes to white women being provided opportunities that had previously been denied to them, they always are alleged to have gotten to where they are due to merit alone.

It's the same damn program, rules and laws so how can it be that only one group is benefitting from it at the detriment to all these other allegedly more deserving individuals?

• Brilliant
To answer my question, yes, their complaint is based on disparate impact.

This is going to be a tough case to win.
Again, your answer was rejected by the First Circuit Court and the case was argued using the Equal protecrion clause of the 14th Amendment. If legacies are allowed to stand it, is just more evidence of white privilege.

It sounds a lot like you're arguing HBCU can't be held to the same standard as others, thus making your antipathy towards legacy admissions a race-based decision.
It sounds like I thought that your question was too stupid for me to waste time answering.

Only a racist idiot even tries that tactic.
Oh de WWAAYYCISS be commin! Holy de lawsy laws. Gots to be skeered ub dem WWAAYYCISS.

No one is ignoring anything. Whites don't care. Go, suffer, it's comedy.

Oh de WWAAYYCISS be commin! Holy de lawsy laws. Gots to be skeered ub dem WWAAYYCISS.

No one is ignoring anything. Whites don't care. Go, suffer, it's comedy.
Apparently you do care, and you're really going to care in a few years when whites are the minority.

So, it’s not because they are white, it’s because money talks.
We know that, we all saw Felicity & the other one get a slap on the wrist for scheming to get their kids in college by falsifying their sports involvement in order to obtain scholarships slated for certain athletes.

But nonetheless, they're (legacy) still getting in, not based on merit but because their parents can purchase a seat for them. Allegedly being admitted with lack of merit is one of the main complaints proffered insistently by white racists when it comes to Black applicants, but legacy students who haven't earned a slot based on merit are just fine for them presumably because those students are overwhelmingly white, at least that's what I understand the lawsuit is alleging.

• Winner
More equal time refuting...

Okay, IM, but here's the thing.

Women may have benefited from AA when it was first introduced, but they don't need it anymore.
Asians have concluded that AA doesn't benefit them, because they can make it on their own despite what an awfully racist country this is.

The problem with AA Admissions is that they weren't really benefiting the poor black kid from the ghetto, they benefit the affluent black kid from the suburbs whose parents were lucky or hard working enough to make it.

So what we are likely to see is "life story" considerations in college admission in the future, which will benefit poor people of all races.

As I have said, I've had a couple of times I've been passed up for opportunities to advance an AA agenda. One time they promoted a woman who had no business being a supervisor because another woman who had no business being a supervisor had been fired and was suing.

Another time, they brought in a black female even though I had been doing the job for more than a year as a contractor. This woman couldn't keep up with the work and spent about half her day shopping on Amazon.

So please, please, please don't tell me that AA never results in unqualified people being advanced. It doesn't pass the laugh test.

You're completely wrong. White conservative women who marry white men may believe they don't need AA but not women in general. Something like 70 percent of the Asians in America support AA. And by the way you're talking, you really don't know what it is.

You can take your white ... laugh test somewhere because there are countless unqualified white men working jobs they would not have if not for the color of their skin. I can point to a whole lot of unqualified whites I worked with over my time working. So your argument has no merit and it won't have any merit until you recognize the long history of white affirmative action in this country.

Last edited:
They oppose it because it’s bullshit and lies. SOME women may have been hired due to gender and race but prove that they are the majority. Don’t post so called studies, how do you even find out the truth?
Companies that accept funding from the federal government are required to submit information on their workforce annually if they want to remain in compliance and continue to receive funding.

I just went through this during the last quarter of last year continuing into the first month of this year.

That's how they (the government) knows, the reports come from the companies HR/HRIS's departments and presumably are added to the government's databases and reports generated against that data.

Believe me, they're not guessing, they KNOW.

They all are required to submit at a minimum the following:
  1. Ethnicity
  2. Race
  3. Gender (sex)
  4. Veteran
  5. Disabled

• Winner
"So, it’s not because they are white, it’s because money talks."

Most of them have the money they have due to being given opportunities because of them being white that non white people couldn't get. Furthermore, at least 70 percent of the legacies at Harvard were white. Race did play a factor.

What about from the other side? What about the students, such as the Asian with a 1560 SAT and a perfect GPA, who was rejected from all IVYs because he was of the “undesired” race - a factor that has since been ruled unconstitutional? What about all the middle-class whites who were brilliant students, also rejected because the IVY wanted more blacks? And Lord knows that they rejected amazing Jewish students because we sure don’t need no more Jews!

Why is it fair that top students - valedictorians, perfect GPAs, and 1560+ SAT scores - be punished under rules that are unconstitutional?
It's amazing that there is no set of circumstances in your world apparently in which there are
valedictorians, perfect GPAs, and 1560+ SAT scores
who also are Black.

• Winner
They oppose it because it’s bullshit and lies. SOME women may have been hired due to gender and race but prove that they are the majority. Don’t post so called studies, how do you even find out the truth?

Molly,

The studies show the truth. I'm sure you denied the studies that said smoking leads to lung cancer and heart disease. You want to deny facts because the facts shatter you little white supremacist delusion.

I think it's time to stop letting white men tell you what to think. White men gave themselves explicit preferences for 77 percent of the time America has been a nation, want more and they are not ashamed of it. Now you might be dumb enough to be gaslight by this bs, but I'm not.

Forum List

Back