🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Less Bad News for Democrats in latest ABC Poll

They don't get more...every state gets the same....the Senate isn't designed to represent the population, the House is...the Senate was designed to represent the states. Prior to direct election, in the 17th amendment, they were actually appointed by the State's legislature.

The longer terms in the Senate, and the idea they represent the State, not the people, was designed to counter the populism that often is found in the House
Just because every State gets the same number of Senators doesn't make that an equal representation of the desires of the overall population. As you said the Senate represents the State not the people. Regardless of why and how the Senate was designed what it affectively does is give Republicans who are a political minority, more federal power with respect to will of the majority. I'm not complaining about this or disagreeing with what you said, I'm just explaining the result of that system.

Just because every State gets the same number of Senators doesn't make that an equal representation of the desires of the overall population. As you said the Senate represents the State not the people. Regardless of why and how the Senate was designed what it affectively does is give Republicans who are a political minority, more federal power with respect to will of the majority. I'm not complaining about this or disagreeing with what you said, I'm just explaining the result of that system.
well yeah it does reflect the desire of the overall population of the State, since the Senators are elected, directly by the people....the person that wins the Senate race, has to have the majority vote.

They don't get more...every state gets the same....the Senate isn't designed to represent the population, the House is...the Senate was designed to represent the states. Prior to direct election, in the 17th amendment, they were actually appointed by the State's legislature.

The longer terms in the Senate, and the idea they represent the State, not the people, was designed to counter the populism that often is found in the House
Everyone knows this stuff. You can argue that you like it, that’s fine. Regardless, it provides republicans an easier path to Majority. My only point was that an even polling position is bad for Dems. They have to be ahead pretty far to win a majority.

Everyone knows this stuff. You can argue that you like it, that’s fine. Regardless, it provides republicans an easier path to Majority. My only point was that an even polling position is bad for Dems. They have to be ahead pretty far to win a majority.
How does the Senate, which has two for each state, and to win you have to have the majority vote, give them an easier path to the majority? Aren't we all following the same rules? Do blue states not have that same rule as far as electing Senators?

I guess, how would you rewrite the rules, to make it "easier" for your guys?

How does the Senate, which has two for each state, and to win you have to have the majority vote, give them an easier path to the majority? Aren't we all following the same rules? Do blue states not have that same rule as far as electing Senators?

I guess, how would you rewrite the rules, to make it "easier" for your guys?
You know the answer you’re being disingenuous. Rural states are over represented in the senate. Rural states lean Republican. It’s not a hard concept. You’re arguing right vs wrong. I’m arguing the facts are the facts. It’s a steeper climb for the democrats to get a majority because d

well yeah it does reflect the desire of the overall population of the State, since the Senators are elected, directly by the people....the person that wins the Senate race, has to have the majority vote.
But States aren't people and not all States are equally populated.

You know the answer you’re being disingenuous. Rural states are over represented in the senate. Rural states lean Republican. It’s not a hard concept. You’re arguing right vs wrong. I’m arguing the facts are the facts. It’s a steeper climb for the democrats to get a majority because d
So...how do you fix the problem? Yeah, I mean poor Wyoming, with it's 1 representative in the House....guess we should take that away from them...Cali only has 50 more voting members....and they lean deep blue.

So what take their one away? Give it to Cali?

But States aren't people and not all States are equally populated.
um...well yeah States exist only because of the people in them.

I don't disagree, not every state is equally populated. So what? Are you saying abolish the Senate? or abolish States?

So...how do you fix the problem? Yeah, I mean poor Wyoming, with it's 1 representative in the House....guess we should take that away from them...Cali only has 50 more voting members....and they lean deep blue.

So what take their one away? Give it to Cali?
I’m not saying it has to change. I’m saying it’s a barrier for the democrats. Why are you so sensitive about it?

um...well yeah States exist only because of the people in them.

I don't disagree, not every state is equally populated. So what? Are you saying abolish the Senate? or abolish States?
No. I'm not saying either of those things, I'm simply explaining what the resulting effect is.

There is no doubt the Democrats have an uphill climb to hold onto their majority, just like every other administration over the last 4 decades.

Recent polling has looked less tragic, however I expect a moderate blow out similar to Trumps midterm loss vs some historic swing as voters realize the republicans have nothing but complaints to offer. The Dems have a structural disadvantage from gerrymandering and small state balance so being even is still bad news.

View attachment 639315
Does "Less Bad" = "Good"?

Asking for a friend

I’m not saying it has to change. I’m saying it’s a barrier for the democrats. Why are you so sensitive about it?
Well, I do agree the Constitution has become a barrier to the Dems.

I am just asking questions.

Sorry I like our Constitution.....not sure why you all dislike it so much

No. I'm not saying either of those things, I'm simply explaining what the resulting effect is.
Dems are free to move to states....many folks for example have been fleeing Cali...maybe they are dems and bringing their ideas with them to places like FL, and Texas

There is no doubt the Democrats have an uphill climb to hold onto their majority, just like every other administration over the last 4 decades.

Recent polling has looked less tragic, however I expect a moderate blow out similar to Trumps midterm loss vs some historic swing as voters realize the republicans have nothing but complaints to offer. The Dems have a structural disadvantage from gerrymandering and small state balance so being even is still bad news.

View attachment 639315
They'll be fine, the GOP is imploding.

Dems are free to move to states....many folks for example have been fleeing Cali...maybe they are dems and bringing their ideas with them to places like FL, and Texas
I agree they are free to move to those States. I don't have many concerns about the long term sociopolitical shifts occurring in this Country.

They'll be fine, the GOP is imploding.
I still think the dems will be hammered, and more so than in a "normal" off year election. The progressive economic agenda is a debacle. But the more the gop hammers at wedge issues where most really don't agree with them on stuff like abortion and gay teachers, it can't help them. That just plays to the dems with suburban/centrist voters.

And then there's the nuts on Ukraine like Randian Paul and MTG. They are the extremists but they crave and pose for attention.

Throughout our relatively short 250 or so year history, we've always split on divisive issues usually championed by demogouges out for personal gain, but we have come back to the center on the belief that we can live together and let others live their lives without interfering in ours.

OF course AOC is not exactly a unifier. Nor are Omar or Jaypal. I suspect Bern's not a bad guy, he's just still trying to live his youth. LOL

I agree they are free to move to those States. I don't have many concerns about the long term sociopolitical shifts occurring in this Country.
me either. I think moving is a great thing…and frankly understand why people are fleeing Cali and NY…the same reasons they fled Cuba etc

me either. I think moving is a great thing…and frankly understand why people are fleeing Cali and NY…the same reasons they fled Cuba etc
😂

I live in Miami, don't diminish what Cubans went through under Castro by comparing it to liberal governments in California and New York. It doesn't make you seem more informed.

Forum List

Back