Lost my Pastor Today

... There is one way, belief. Good works do not get you into Heaven. ...

There is no way. Absolutely no way. Only god is the way. Everything is his decision in this case. But who believes god will accept good deeds is for sure not wrong, because evil deeds will for sure not lead to god or to the belief in god. Who is doing good deeds has a realistic chance. Or are you able to imagine a paradise full of evil deeds where you or anyone else is able to be happy?

Where did you get the notion that good works will get you into heaven? Can you point me to some text or something that confirms your belief?

Christ is the only way. God says so. It's all about the Son.

James. Faith without works is dead.

I am a Roman Catholic, living in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. My pastor for the past 13 years has been a charismatic, dynamic, spiritual, handsome, talented, interesting fellow. He was brought in to build a new church...get the process going, raise the money, and manage the whole thing. It is built. It is beautiful. It is paid for. And then some. New, never envisioned out buildings enhance the whole campus.

He is instituted numerous forms of "outreach," benefitting the poor, elderly, addicted, displaced, and so on. I participate in some of it, in small ways.

The Bishop, confronting declining membership overall, and the projected loss of 40% of the already-short-supply of priests over the next ten years, decided (basically) to consolidate over a hundred "buildings" into 40 or so new parishes, with the structures and clergy to be determined over the next few years. Some churches will be closed, some expanded, who knows? Basically the way it works elsewhere is that a "parish" will not consist of three or four Churches (all retaining their previous names), and each one will have one or two Masses on the weekend, with a main "parish" priest floating from one to another to say the Masses.

And of course, our All-Star paster was sent to New Castle, to oversee 8 or so smaller parishes and manage their reorganization. It makes sense from a Diocesan management standpoint.

I don't know anything about the incoming paster, only that he is thrilled to be assigned to what is a large, growing, dynamic parish that has a hundred different things going on.

We'll see. Lots of people are VERY unhappy with this, but it is actually quite common, historically speaking within the U.S. Catholic Church. The norm used to be pastors moved around every 5 years or so.

I don't know of any other religions that would have a comparable event.

Perhaps you should become an agnostic and deal in problems/concerns that actually matter.

Religion bilks the ignorant.

And atheists, who don't know what agnosticism is, bilk the pseudognorants?

What is "pseudognorants?"

I am a Roman Catholic, living in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. My pastor for the past 13 years has been a charismatic, dynamic, spiritual, handsome, talented, interesting fellow. He was brought in to build a new church...get the process going, raise the money, and manage the whole thing. It is built. It is beautiful. It is paid for. And then some. New, never envisioned out buildings enhance the whole campus.

He is instituted numerous forms of "outreach," benefitting the poor, elderly, addicted, displaced, and so on. I participate in some of it, in small ways.

The Bishop, confronting declining membership overall, and the projected loss of 40% of the already-short-supply of priests over the next ten years, decided (basically) to consolidate over a hundred "buildings" into 40 or so new parishes, with the structures and clergy to be determined over the next few years. Some churches will be closed, some expanded, who knows? Basically the way it works elsewhere is that a "parish" will not consist of three or four Churches (all retaining their previous names), and each one will have one or two Masses on the weekend, with a main "parish" priest floating from one to another to say the Masses.

And of course, our All-Star paster was sent to New Castle, to oversee 8 or so smaller parishes and manage their reorganization. It makes sense from a Diocesan management standpoint.

I don't know anything about the incoming paster, only that he is thrilled to be assigned to what is a large, growing, dynamic parish that has a hundred different things going on.

We'll see. Lots of people are VERY unhappy with this, but it is actually quite common, historically speaking within the U.S. Catholic Church. The norm used to be pastors moved around every 5 years or so.

Perhaps you should become an agnostic and deal in problems/concerns that actually matter.

People who think in structures of a "knowledge" wich looks like knowledge but is not knowledge.

Last edited:

People who think in structures of a "knowledge" wich looks like knowledge but is not knowledge.

That would be cognitive.

Ah, the bizarre argument of 'Faith' versus 'Works', as if they are two separate entities. Hate to break to it to the two camps, but the faith and works are married to each other; finding faith automatically leads to good works re Christians; they aren't two different things. It's a non-issue, as they can't exist separately.

That would be cognitive.

Use the expressions "wrong-knower" of "negative-knower" if you still have a problem to find the category. This what Yoda called "You have to unlearn, what you learned". It's normally better not to know than wrong to know. The English speaking world creates a lot of pseudo-knowledge. "Knowledge" which is pure opinion or ideology and has not a lot to do with perception, philosophy, logic and experience. Take the word "marriage" as an example: "Same sex marriage" is a contradiction. It's pseudo-knowledge to think a same sex marriage is the same as a marriage. The difference? Under natural conditions married people are able to have children with each other. In same sex marriages one of the both sexes has to be replaced with artificial structures if they like to have a baby together. And this opens a wide way for child trafficking and woman trafficking. I do not say with this words that people who have the same sex should not "marry" each other. But in my universal view I am sad about the ways of your society, which grows to be more and more aggressive year by year by year ...

Last edited:
I attended a large Methodist Church that I watched grow huge. They hired a Lady Pastor. I really enjoyed her Sermons because you related to her. Same problems. They had 5 Services. 2 on Saturday night, 3 on Sunday.

I was shocked to hear a middle aged man complain and leave because he refused to listen to a woman
His loss

Just like it is the Catholic Churches loss that they don’t allow women and insist in celibacy (which is just freaky)

Some where down the line it was decided Priests should not be married or have a family so he could tend his Flock.

Just another asinine,man made decision. We see how well it worked. Raped Children,etc. It is not normal. Martin Luther was right.

Having a family and raising children involves having sex which the Catholic Church considers necessary but kind of yucky.

?

That is why they still oppose birth control

The catholic church never opposed birth control. The catholic church is opposing some methods of birth control.

which allows sex without the possibility of children.
Recreational sex is a sin to the Catholic heirarchy

What is "recreational sex"? To use sex like a drug without to love the spouse?

True, the original fight against BC was because when the pill first came out they had many side effects, and the new ones are even worst.
The church also opposed condoms and sterilization

Ah, the bizarre argument of 'Faith' versus 'Works', as if they are two separate entities. Hate to break to it to the two camps, but the faith and works are married to each other; finding faith automatically leads to good works re Christians; they aren't two different things. It's a non-issue, as they can't exist separately.
If you do them!

If you do them!

Well, of course; I find that Christians usually do works, unless they're really old and/or handicapped in some way or other. Even then, they try to do something for others and/or the churches they're members of. Very enthusiastic volunteers to be found at churches for all kinds of projects.

If you do them!

Well, of course; I find that Christians usually do works, unless they're really old and/or handicapped in some way or other. Even then, they try to do something for others and/or the churches they're members of. Very enthusiastic volunteers to be found at churches for all kinds of projects.

I agree with you on that. I have more than done my share. Volunteer at Church for many things. Volunteer Fire Department. My whole family. That was hard work, but worth it. I have run Ice Cream Socials.( they make you President, you do the work.)

My last volunteer job was setting up,serving, baking Desserts for 40 to 50 Church Seniors.

For now I have stepped aside, but will do something.

If you do them!

I agree with you on that. I have more than done my share. Volunteer at Church for many things. Volunteer Fire Department. My whole family. That was hard work, but worth it. I have run Ice Cream Socials.( they make you President, you do the work.)

My last volunteer job was setting up,serving, baking Desserts for 40 to 50 Church Seniors.

Good for you

You obviously have never lived in an Observant Jewish neighborhood.

His loss

Just like it is the Catholic Churches loss that they don’t allow women and insist in celibacy (which is just freaky)

Some where down the line it was decided Priests should not be married or have a family so he could tend his Flock.

Just another asinine,man made decision. We see how well it worked. Raped Children,etc. It is not normal. Martin Luther was right.

Having a family and raising children involves having sex which the Catholic Church considers necessary but kind of yucky.

?

The catholic church never opposed birth control. The catholic church is opposing some methods of birth control.

True, the original fight against BC was because when the pill first came out they had many side effects, and the new ones are even worst.

Man made rules. I prefer to make my own.:) that is why you have a conscience.

His loss

?

Condoms I do not agree with, but sterilization I do. Benedict ok'd condom use in 2010 to prevent the spread of disease. Should of been allowed much earlier.

If you do them!

Good for you

Oh,I enjoyed every minute. My old Church has a First Responders breakfast every year.

?

Most Catholics rely on their own conscience and use birth control

?

Many rely on basic self-control, and don't need excuses or devices.

If you do them!

Good for you

Oh,I enjoyed every minute. My old Church has a First Responders breakfast every year.

Go to an atheist gathering and all you find are fat people trading kiddie porn, and they can't even be bothered to throw their own cups, wrappers, and used butt plugs away.

Methodist rotate about the same time frame. Thirteen years is probably unusual for most churches.

?

Many rely on basic self-control, and don't need excuses or devices.

Married people should have sex any time they wish
Abstinence is archaic

Forum List

Back