lowes employee fired for stopping shop lifter

Ok....I get that the company needs to manage risk. But pray tell what's wrong with a simple reprimand? A 68 year old woman is working most likely not by choice....and now you fire her? Seems stupid to me.

Thieves are a priority over employees.

You folks voted in the woke leaders of these blue cities, and you've been pushing the woke agenda for years. Stop complaining that you've gotten what you asked for.
Wal Mart does the same to employees yet it is a red corporation in a red state in a red county and a red city. You theory is weak.

Ok....I get that the company needs to manage risk. But pray tell what's wrong with a simple reprimand? A 68 year old woman is working most likely not by choice....and now you fire her? Seems stupid to me.

I just got finished reading a similar story out of the Atlanta area where three people were fired for calling the police on shoplifters.

The actual cost of the $2100 worth of merchandise they took will be significantly less than the cost of one trip to the ER

Guaranteed that employee will have other employers that don’t have such an asinine policy beating down the fired employee’s door for their services.

Now, tell US what great policy this is? Firing an employee for stopping a shoplifter.
Actually, the person is essentially unemployable in retail. Hiring the person after this incident creates liability.
If the employee gets hurt stopping someone then the company has to pay the medical bills as well as workers Comp
And the lawsuit from the thief.
I kind of get it. Stores don't want gun ho employees grabbing people and causing a lawsuit, don't want to escalate the situation to where someone might get hurt, or if some white employee stops a black guy and all the blacks come out of the woodwork yelling racism.

But firing? That's way way out of line for someone trying to do the right thing.

Lowes should chastise them, then go in the back room and thank them and give them a day paid time off. If I was a employer id be happy to have decent moral employees that care about right and wrong and are looking after their employers best interest.
They MUST fire the employee. Not doing so creates extreme liability if anything even slightly related happens again.

Actually, the person is essentially unemployable in retail. Hiring the person after this incident creates liability.

And the lawsuit from the thief.

They MUST fire the employee. Not doing so creates extreme liability if anything even slightly related happens again.
How does another retailer hiring the employee create a liability? Even if that retailer has a similar policy, the employee could choose not to stop shoplifting this time around.

Back to Lowe’s, they just sent a message to thieves that they are lax on shoplifting.

Lowes employees should just start shoplifting from Lowes.
If management tries to stop them, they'll be fired.

One of the odd times I'll agree with you. Its never made sense to me that you outright dismiss an employee for these types of things. Usually one of the harder parts of being in management is getting employees to actually care.
I second this. Getting people to even show up to a job at all anymore is already hard enough. Getting fired over something like this in my opinion will only make it harder for businesses to get whatever help it is that they need.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. On the other hand, maybe the help won't be needed because of what businesses decide to do about the shoplifting matter. They jack up the prices of whatever is on the shelf. Eventually should they keep doing that, no customer willing to pay for anything they come for will continue to shop there. They will only take their business elsewhere.

How does another retailer hiring the employee create a liability? Even if that retailer has a similar policy, the employee could choose not to stop shoplifting this time around.

Back to Lowe’s, they just sent a message to thieves that they are lax on shoplifting.
Pattern of behavior. Lawyers LOVE those when suing.

I second this. Getting people to even show up to a job at all anymore is already hard enough. Getting fired over something like this in my opinion will only make it harder for businesses to get whatever help it is that they need.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. On the other hand, maybe the help won't be needed because of what businesses decide to do about the shoplifting matter. They jack up the prices of whatever is on the shelf. Eventually should they keep doing that, no customer willing to pay for anything they come for will continue to shop there. They will only take their business elsewhere.
What does it say to the still-employed workers? Try hard to do the right thing gets you fired.

Forum List

Back