Maine kicks 9,000 off welfare for refusing to work

Wow, how christian of this state.

I hope these people aren't disabled or too old to work.
Welfare isn't a Christian principle and Christianity isn't defined by the unregenerate.

Stop lying, Safety Pins!
You are a false Christian who turns his back on Christ and His principles.
oh I agree with you there. And everyone that collects welfare instead of working is also a false Christian that has turned their backs on Christ and his principles.
You don't understand Christ or His Gospel. The scriptures quoted above condemn your understanding.
oh I understand your mis representation perfectly.
For me to be a Christian I should quit working, lose everything I did work for, then sit on your front porch and demand you give me food, a phone, some spending money, health insurance, and anything else I decide I want.
In order for you to be a Christian, you have to give me all your stuff.
Speaks one spurns Christ, above. No one is telling you to do those silly things, except yourself, Maryland Patriot. Now go to work today and earn your living the best you can, thanking God you are able to do so and humble enough before God to follow His scriptures and not your own misinterpretation.

Welfare isn't a Christian principle and Christianity isn't defined by the unregenerate.

Stop lying, Safety Pins!
oh I agree with you there. And everyone that collects welfare instead of working is also a false Christian that has turned their backs on Christ and his principles.
Luke 14:13-14 - But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.

Luke 21:3-4 - 'Truly I tell you, he said, 'this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.'

Both of these quotes represent VOLUNTARY actions. The bible is urging people to be charitable, not mandating compliance with the power of armed government agents to enforce someone's else's idea of charity.

And that makes all the difference.

Stop lying, Safety Pins!
You don't understand Christ or His Gospel. The scriptures quoted above condemn your understanding.
oh I understand your mis representation perfectly.
For me to be a Christian I should quit working, lose everything I did work for, then sit on your front porch and demand you give me food, a phone, some spending money, health insurance, and anything else I decide I want.
In order for you to be a Christian, you have to give me all your stuff.
Speaks one spurns Christ, above. No one is telling you to do those silly things, except yourself, Maryland Patriot. Now go to work today and earn your living the best you can, thanking God you are able to do so and humble enough before God to follow His scriptures and not your own misinterpretation.
and while Im doing that, what does that lazy bastard that does nothing but plop out kids and collect welfare just so they can make their trips to walmart in their SUV have to do to be christian?
Or is it ok for me to work so someone can steal my earnings in order for them not to work?
Just trying to figure out how I cant be a christian for working and not being happy to have my money stole from me, while the one that can work but would rather sit on their lazy fat ass and steal my money is a christian.
You have things backwards.
Now if I was only paying welfare to care for those that honestly COULD NOT WORK, then that might be a different story, you just might have a point. but that is not the case with well over 90% of those collecting.

Stop lying, Safety Pins!
Luke 14:13-14 - But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.

Luke 21:3-4 - 'Truly I tell you, he said, 'this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.'

Both of these quotes represent VOLUNTARY actions. The bible is urging people to be charitable, not mandating compliance with the power of armed government agents to enforce someone's else's idea of charity.

And that makes all the difference.
Alright. I'll buy that. SOME of the posters here have attitudes that are not amenable to voluntarily being charitable, though.
One thing the right seems not to have thought of is, you THINK you just saw angry Americans rising up about their loss of jobs and income and security? Just wait until you make a bunch of them hungry. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Last edited:
I think it would be more interesting to show where welfare is a constitutional right.
after that, then we can figure out if the Supreme Court can allow the states to discontinue welfare or not.

There is nothing in the constitution authorizing the feds to make laws re our welfare system. And thus, by the tenth amendment, welfare is entirely a state matter and the states need to say that. Doesn't matter what the SC says as they are NOT above the states.

Who do you think came, populated and made the US the most prosperous country in the world?

Clue: It was not the those form the teaming shores (of Europe) who wanted to eat free.
Nope. A lot of them starved. Got rickets. Goiters. Died young of complications due to chronic malnutrition. Capitalism at its best.
A lot of them? When was the last time you heard of mass starvation in the US?

Stop being a knee-jerk dingbat. While I will admit that you aren't of Grandma's level (someone who I confused you with), you're not a lot better informed.

Stop with "The children! who will think of the children" bit. It is old and hackneyed.
You are living up to your name with this one.
I merely presented what these changes in policy mean on an individual level for real people living real lives. You have countered with more and more abstract "facts" and statistics that don't mean shit to actual folks. You choose to ignore that. I was just tellin ya.
I will always think of the children. They are our future, and every penny we can invest in them is a penny well spent. When the investment in our future becomes "old and hackneyed," our society is toast.
If I'm going to feed, house, and clothe some kids, I want them under my roof and under my control.

All they have to do is 24 hours per MONTH of volunteer service. But they won't even do that

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement - Patriot Chronicle

nov 16 2016 Republican Gov. Paul LePage recently began enforcing Maine’s volunteer and work requirements for food stamp SNAP recipients to keep their benefits. The end result was more than 9,000 non-disabled adults getting dropped from the program.

The rules prevent adults who are not disabled and do not have dependents from receiving food stamps for more than three months, unless they work at least 20 hours a week, participate in a work-training program, or meet volunteer guidelines for 24 hours out of the month. Any one of those three getting met will not result in the loss of their SNAP food benefits.

Let me emphasize. The least difficult of those three, is fulfilling an approved volunteer work load of just 24 hours out of an entire month. The hardest, is doing at least 20 hours of on the job work per week. Hey, only volunteering 24 hours per month is a seriously good deal to receive hundreds of dollars of free food. The average SNAP monthly benefit is approximately $477.88 per month for a four person household size. In most cases it’s even more. For 24 hours of volunteering, that’s making about $19.91 per hour. Nice!

Wait, is Bodecea going to starve, or worse end up sober? :eek:

Oh wait, she's in California.

Good for Main!

Stop lying, Safety Pins!
So a "true" christian sees fit to confiscate the goods of others in order to accomplish his/her christian deeds? ...To force another the be "charitable" using the force of government?

All they have to do is 24 hours per MONTH of volunteer service. But they won't even do that

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement - Patriot Chronicle

nov 16 2016 Republican Gov. Paul LePage recently began enforcing Maine’s volunteer and work requirements for food stamp SNAP recipients to keep their benefits. The end result was more than 9,000 non-disabled adults getting dropped from the program.

The rules prevent adults who are not disabled and do not have dependents from receiving food stamps for more than three months, unless they work at least 20 hours a week, participate in a work-training program, or meet volunteer guidelines for 24 hours out of the month. Any one of those three getting met will not result in the loss of their SNAP food benefits.

Let me emphasize. The least difficult of those three, is fulfilling an approved volunteer work load of just 24 hours out of an entire month. The hardest, is doing at least 20 hours of on the job work per week. Hey, only volunteering 24 hours per month is a seriously good deal to receive hundreds of dollars of free food. The average SNAP monthly benefit is approximately $477.88 per month for a four person household size. In most cases it’s even more. For 24 hours of volunteering, that’s making about $19.91 per hour. Nice!
When my daughter came back to CT she went on welfare to get back on her feet. She did participate in a work training program and now has a job but still gets some snap to supplement her income because she still doesn't make enough money and she has a baby to support. Babies father is a deadbeat who has left a trail of kids in his wake as my Grandson is one of 5 kids he doesn't support. She lives with us to help her out but even that wasn't enough although it helps. My husband and I have paid into the system long enough for at least one person in our family to collect when needed. That said anyone not willing to do the same should be cut off. Welfare was never meant to live on it was meant to be a hand up. I would have little sympathy or respect for my daughter if she refused work and I don't have any sympathy or respect for anyone else who refuses.

When my daughter came back to CT she went on welfare to get back on her feet. She did participate in a work training program and now has a job but still gets some snap to supplement her income because she still doesn't make enough money and she has a baby to support. Babies father is a deadbeat who has left a trail of kids in his wake as my Grandson is one of 5 kids he doesn't support. She lives with us to help her out but even that wasn't enough although it helps. My husband and I have paid into the system long enough for at least one person in our family to collect when needed. That said anyone not willing to do the same should be cut off. Welfare was never meant to live on it was meant to be a hand up. I would have little sympathy or respect for my daughter if she refused work and I don't have any sympathy or respect for anyone else who refuses.
You bring up a very good point, your daughter has family to help her make things work. Once, unless the individual was a "black sheep", families would pull together to make things happen. Both the individual and their family would be ashamed of accepting public handouts. We have lost the element of shame in this culture.
Given that thought, a man who fathered a child would be ashamed to not "do right" by a woman he impregnated.

You bring up a very good point, your daughter has family to help her make things work. Once, unless the individual was a "black sheep", families would pull together to make things happen. Both the individual and their family would be ashamed of accepting public handouts. We have lost the element of shame in this culture.
Given that thought, a man who fathered a child would be ashamed to not "do right" by a woman he impregnated.
And back in the day a woman wouldn't have gotten pregnant without a ring on her finger.
I agree it was better back then. I'm not thrilled she's on welfare but it helps and like I said the father hasn't paid for the last four so I didn't expect him pay for my Grandson. The "baby daddy" is only 35 so I'm sure my Grandson will have more siblings by the time he reaches adulthood. It's not like this guy is going to stop having sex or start wearing a condom.

Why are you guys giving this guy in Maine credit? Taking away food stamps from able bodied single people is what the law says. There was only an exception put in place for the states to make food stamps indefinite verses only three months due to the unemployment rate of the state being below a certain point. This is from the federal government NOT from the state of Maine. Kentucky just hit the threshold to start doing this at some point during 2015.

Glad to hear this happened. I hear there are lots of open jobs in Portland , Oregon these layabouts could handle- just carry a sign & shout obscenities.............$35/hr on Craigslist!

And back in the day a woman wouldn't have gotten pregnant without a ring on her finger.
I agree it was better back then. I'm not thrilled she's on welfare but it helps and like I said the father hasn't paid for the last four so I didn't expect him pay for my Grandson. The "baby daddy" is only 35 so I'm sure my Grandson will have more siblings by the time he reaches adulthood. It's not like this guy is going to stop having sex or start wearing a condom.
She should have gotten abortions.

Forum List

Back