🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mass incarceration. Sessions says- Lock em up, throw away the key.

he administration's recognition of medical cannabis reached its high-water mark in July 2010, when the Department of Veterans Affairs validated it as a legitimate course of treatment for soldiers returning from the front lines. But it didn't take long for the fragile federal detente to begin to collapse. The reversal began at the Drug Enforcement Agency with Michele Leonhart, a holdover from the Bush administration who was renominated by Obama to head the DEA. An anti-medical-marijuana hard-liner, Leonhart had been rebuked in 2008 by House Judiciary chairman John Conyers for targeting dispensaries with tactics "typically reserved for the worst drug traffickers and kingpins." Her views on the larger drug war are so perverse, in fact, that last year she cited the slaughter of nearly 1,000 Mexican children by the drug cartels as a counterintuitive "sign of success in the fight against drugs."

Obama kept too many bush holdovers. Republicans were so against him he tried to throw them a bone, it ended up hurting him in more areas than one.

You drug addicted worthless piece of human debris. Why don't you worry about something important, like nuclear weapons, instead of worrying about where your next HIGH is coming from, and if it is legal or not!

This is the LEFT, and much of the LIBERALtarian position. They want to get high legally, and are to lazy to change the laws. Just like all LAZY people of youth, they want their way now, right now, and will fight for it, even as a nuke is heading towards their city.

Shows you what they are all really worried about!

Yea I am worried about half our country being behind bars.
Because it is the CONSERVATIVES that say:
"why can't these people find jobs?"
"why are these kids acting out in school?"
"where is this child's father?"
"why can't this single mother make ends meet?"
"why don't these citizens vote?"

incarceration has long term effects that affect family dynamics, ability to gain employment and advance, strips citizens of voting rights etc etc. There are SERIOUS long term effects on the people being incarcerated and serious long term affects on our society as well.
You ignorant fool.

and allowing criminals to roam the streets doesn't?
dangerous criminals or "we live in america and make money off of jailing people on victimless crimes" criminals?

Nobody is looking to lock up more people; that's not the motive. In case you haven't heard, we are running out of jail space as it is, and taxpayers don't want to shell out the bucks for more prisons, nor do they want prisons being built in their backyards.
On the contrary. Of course we are looking to lock more people up.

Several industries have become notorious for the millions they spend on influencing legislation and getting friendly candidates into office: Big Oil, Big Pharma and the gun lobby among them. But one has managed to quickly build influence with comparatively little scrutiny: Private prisons.

The two largest for-profit prison companies in the United States – GEO and Corrections Corporation of America – and their associates have funneled more than $10 million to candidates since 1989 and have spent nearly $25 million on lobbying efforts.

Meanwhile, these private companies have seen their revenue and market share soar. They now rake in a combined $3.3 billion in annual revenue and the private federal prison population more than doubled between 2000 and 2010

How for-profit prisons have become the biggest lobby no one is talking about

You drug addicted worthless piece of human debris. Why don't you worry about something important, like nuclear weapons, instead of worrying about where your next HIGH is coming from, and if it is legal or not!

This is the LEFT, and much of the LIBERALtarian position. They want to get high legally, and are to lazy to change the laws. Just like all LAZY people of youth, they want their way now, right now, and will fight for it, even as a nuke is heading towards their city.

Shows you what they are all really worried about!

Yea I am worried about half our country being behind bars.
Because it is the CONSERVATIVES that say:
"why can't these people find jobs?"
"why are these kids acting out in school?"
"where is this child's father?"
"why can't this single mother make ends meet?"
"why don't these citizens vote?"

incarceration has long term effects that affect family dynamics, ability to gain employment and advance, strips citizens of voting rights etc etc. There are SERIOUS long term effects on the people being incarcerated and serious long term affects on our society as well.
You ignorant fool.

and allowing criminals to roam the streets doesn't?
dangerous criminals or "we live in america and make money off of jailing people on victimless crimes" criminals?

Nobody is looking to lock up more people; that's not the motive. In case you haven't heard, we are running out of jail space as it is, and taxpayers don't want to shell out the bucks for more prisons, nor do they want prisons being built in their backyards.
On the contrary. Of course we are looking to lock more people up.

Several industries have become notorious for the millions they spend on influencing legislation and getting friendly candidates into office: Big Oil, Big Pharma and the gun lobby among them. But one has managed to quickly build influence with comparatively little scrutiny: Private prisons.

The two largest for-profit prison companies in the United States – GEO and Corrections Corporation of America – and their associates have funneled more than $10 million to candidates since 1989 and have spent nearly $25 million on lobbying efforts.

Meanwhile, these private companies have seen their revenue and market share soar. They now rake in a combined $3.3 billion in annual revenue and the private federal prison population more than doubled between 2000 and 2010

How for-profit prisons have become the biggest lobby no one is talking about

I'm not denying that we are locking up people, I'm denying that money is the motivator. In fact judges are asked to reduce sentences for non-violent (and even violent in some cases) criminals because we simply don't have the space for them.

t the conclusion of a four-day jury trial this week in Macon County Superior Court Adam Joshua Sanders, 30, of Franklin was convicted of trafficking in methamphetamine by possession, trafficking in methamphetamine by transportation, and conspiracy to traffic in methamphetamine. He was sentenced Thursday to a maximum of 70 and a half years in prison, and he will serve at least 56 years before he is eligible for release. This case was the first case for trial during a three week special narcotics terms in Macon County Superior Court that began on Monday and will continue for the next two weeks.

I think he got what he deserved.

Adam Sanders sentenced to 70 years for drug trafficking - The Macon County News

He is a piece of shit who was contributing directly to this poison that are killing the youth here and destroying families. Don't want to go to prison? Don't commit the crime.
Is a drug dealer worse than the people who send these same youths to die overseas fighting some bullshit corporate war for oil? Those people kill far more youth and destroy many more families than some dude selling meth.

Unfortunately what you are talking about is not illegal and the public has been brainwashed to support it. I agree that the politicians should be prosecuted for the never ending wars but I some how DOUBT you were this pissed off about it when Obama was getting us involved in Libya,Syria etc and never ending the wars in Afghanistan.

"The move is a reversal of ex-President Barack Obama's policy to reduce jail time for low-level drug crimes.

It means we are going to meet our responsibility to enforce the law with judgment and fairness," Mr Sessions said on Friday. "It is simply the right and moral thing to do."

Mr Sessions' predecessor, Eric Holder, had instructed prosecutors in 2013 to avoid pursuing the maximum punishment for criminals in cases such as minor drug offences, which would have triggered mandatory minimum sentencing.

The 2013 policy also encouraged prosecutors to omit details about drug quantities in cases of non-violent offenders with no previous charges or ties to gangs or cartels to avoid harsher punishments.
Mandatory minimum sentences laws, which were passed in the 1980s and 1990s as part of the US "war on drugs", prevent judges from applying discretion when sentencing certain drug offences and are instead determined by the quantity of drugs involved in the crime.
Mr Obama had sought to ease mandatory minimum sentences to reduce jail time for low-level drug crimes and help relieve overcrowded prisons in the US as part of criminal justice reform."

US law boss Sessions orders harsher criminal sentencing - BBC News

"The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Americans are locked up for crimes — from writing bad checks to using drugs — that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries. And in particular they are kept incarcerated far longer than prisoners in other nations.

Criminologists and legal scholars in other industrialized nations say they are mystified and appalled by the number and length of American prison sentences.

The United States has, for instance, 2.3 million criminals behind bars,
China, which is four times more populous than the United States, is a distant second, with 1.6 million people in prison

If you count only adults, one in 100 Americans is locked up
The only other major industrialized nation that even comes close is Russia, with 627 prisoners for every 100,000 people.
The others have much lower rates. England's rate is 151; Germany's is 88; and Japan's is 63.
(
The median among all nations is about 125, roughly a sixth of the American rate)

Criminologists and legal experts here and abroad point to a tangle of factors to explain America's extraordinary incarceration rate: higher levels of violent crime, harsher sentencing laws, a legacy of racial turmoil, a special fervor in combating illegal drugs, the American temperament, and the lack of a social safety net. Even democracy plays a role, as judges — many of whom are elected, another American anomaly — yield to populist demands for tough justice.
Whatever the reason, the gap between American justice and that of the rest of the world is enormous and growing.

The spike in American incarceration rates is quite recent. From 1925 to 1975, the rate remained stable, around 110 people in prison per 100,000 people. It shot up with the movement to get tough on crime in the late 1970s.

People who commit nonviolent crimes in the rest of the world are less likely to receive prison time and certainly less likely to receive long sentences. The United States is, for instance, the only advanced country that incarcerates people for minor property crimes like passing bad checks, Whitman wrote.

In 1980, there were about 40,000 people in American jails and prisons for drug crimes. These days, there are almost 500,000.
"The U.S. pursues the war on drugs with an ignorant fanaticism," said Stern of King's College.

Still, it is the length of sentences that truly distinguishes American prison policy.

Burglars in the United States serve an average of 16 months in prison, according to Mauer, compared with 5 months in Canada and 7 months in England."
U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations

Plantation Jeb wants "the help" kept well controlled. He don't want em getting no funny ideas like marijuani might vape up. Keep your minds on the task at hand people, and the task at hand is tending Jeb's tobacco fields. Allegorically, we're all the "help", as Jeb rocks on his Manor porch, sipping a mint julep.

You don't vote?
Yeah I vote. I just don't vote for criminals.

Of course you don't.

200.gif

None of the people you voted for ever:
driven over the speed limit,
rolled through a stop sign,
changed lanes without signaling.

Build a wall?
I've heard the Mexicans are excellent tunnel builders :2up:

And we're pretty good at burying them alive inside their tunnels....that's the part you don't hear about.
A wall will not help. You can go over it, under it, around it.. and since it probably won't be built, it's not a problem. Drugs do not only enter the country through the Mexican boarder.
That being said- there is really no way to keep people from acquiring drugs. Locking up any citizen who's ever bought or sold is a ridiculous endeavor. The war on drugs is not being "won" and it never will be.

The Berlin wall didn't work? Or the wall the Israelis built to keep out Pali terrorists? Maybe you should leave your perch in New York and come visit the border sometime....you got a lot to learn about the real world.

Build a wall?

And we're pretty good at burying them alive inside their tunnels....that's the part you don't hear about.
A wall will not help. You can go over it, under it, around it.. and since it probably won't be built, it's not a problem. Drugs do not only enter the country through the Mexican boarder.
That being said- there is really no way to keep people from acquiring drugs. Locking up any citizen who's ever bought or sold is a ridiculous endeavor. The war on drugs is not being "won" and it never will be.
Here's how I have always looked at It :

Republicans in power = better government policy and a better environment for businesses to thrive

Democrats in power = less harassment on personal freedoms

But that HAS NOT been as true with Obama, yes he's eased up on enforcement of drug and immigration laws

But he's diminished personal freedom in so many other areas. From requiments to purchase insurance to regulating school lunch ; the last administration was perniciously encroaching on personal freedom

Bush wasn't any better, giving us the Patriot Act

In my lifetime, Jimmy Carter and Barrack Obama have used the power of the government to overwhelm businesses with regulations and Ronald Reagan and George Bush (x2) have made it easy for businesses to thrive

Clinton was a mixed bag

Trump is doing better than any of them on that front

But it looks like we're getting tough on enforcement, just like Reagan did - you 'member where the campaign slogan MAGA came from?

I 'member

220px-Let%27s_Make_America_Great_Again_button.jpeg
Republicans in power:
corruption- corporation over human
rich get richer poor get poorer
rejection of science
destruction of environment
failed economic policy after failed economic policy
recession/depression
bigotry/discrimination
loss of rights

Democrats in power:
economy flourishes
unemployment drops
expansion of human rights
better government policies
healthier environment

Last edited:
Unfortunately what you are talking about is not illegal and the public has been brainwashed to support it. I agree that the politicians should be prosecuted for the never ending wars but I some how DOUBT you were this pissed off about it when Obama was getting us involved in Libya,Syria etc and never ending the wars in Afghanistan.
Well, I was.

I don't believe in being so cavalier about putting our troops in harms way. The only reason I would support our troops invading another country, was if we were attacked by that country. And by attack, I don't mean some frontier incident. I mean attack by a significant force.

So many blacks who assault, rape and murder have extensive rap sheets. The savages need to be locked up indefinitely when they have served notice on society they not only fail to function in society, but are a danger to civilized folks.

Build a wall?

The Berlin wall didn't work? Or the wall the Israelis built to keep out Pali terrorists? Maybe you should leave your perch in New York and come visit the border sometime....you got a lot to learn about the real world.
the world cheered when the berlin wall came down.
If donnie builds a wall (big if), the world will cheer when that comes down as well.

Forum List

Back