Massachusetts Man Says He Was Fired for Telling Colleague Her Gay Marriage Is Wrong

Again with the assumption that she was "in his face" about it. I repeat: Did she specifically tell him about it four times or was he just within earshot of a conversation she was having with others?

Doesn't matter, she said it FOUR times in front of him........he had the right to express his opinion ONCE. That's not harassment.

once again talking about your wedding four times is not harassment, telling some their sexual orientation is wrong is and it violates harassment laws. I just don't see why you don't get it.
Why didn't he just ask her not to talk about it anymore or maybe tell her she should get back to work? no instead he had to put down her lifestyle which again is against THE LAW.

No, it is not against the law to express one's opinion. And, why did she not JUST ASK HIM NOT TO TALK LIKE THAT ANYMORE? Works both ways.

Point is, PC is ripping us all off, and weak spinlkess people who cry "offended" are becoming our masters in America. What a shame.

I personally just say whatever I feel is right to say at the time. If someone doesn't like it, let them tell me so, I will just talk when they are not there.

Massachusetts Man Says He Was Fired for Telling Colleague Her Gay Marriage Is Wrong - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

And Fox News flips out. Guess what Fox and Friends? The Owner has a right to fire the person if they are trying to impose their views on someone else.

He knew better to make such remarks in the workplace, but he let his religion cloud his judgment. He also could of easily had talked to the manager about what was going on. He chose not to.

It is just as controversial if the gay person brings it up as it is if the straight person brings it up. Why can the subject be offensive if addressed from the religious point of view, but not if it is brought up from the gay point of view. If it is wrong for the straight (religious) person to address it, then it is wrong for the gay person to address it. Take it out of the business altogether, or allow it altogether.
Since when is correcting a fellow employee when he says "he" regarding a partner, and notes 'no, it's a she' controversial?

The subject first came up in a simple conversation that her fiancee would be picking her up. He then referred to her fiancee as a "he." She clarified it was a "she."
That's it. She said "it's a she."

That set him off. He said that made him uncomfortable.

When asked by HR how she made him uncomfortable, he stated that
----> by simply saying her "so called fiance" was a female made him uncomfortable!
(yeah, that's how he refers to her - "so called" - as if she isn't really a fiancee).
Simply because she's a she!

He also says he felt compelled to tell her her lifestyle was immoral.
Compelled? Really? He has no control on his ability to keep his opinions to himself regarding a perfectly legal event? He was "compelled" to call her a deviant?

She stated a fact. It's a "she." He, an employee on probation, expressed his opinion, and in a very derogatory and unprofessional manner.

In case you missed the earlier posts on this, there is a nearly 7 minute video where he cuts his own throats with his word posted upthread.

Note also: He not only referred to her as a "deviant" - he also expressed that he "hates people like that."

Tell me again you don't see a difference.

Tell me how you think Brookstone is in the wrong to fire a new hire like that- one who will be in regular contact with the public, and may even be called upon to help out prospective same-sex couples find wedding gifts! Tell me.

He's being persecuted, I tell you.

The really funny thing about this thread is that a handful of contributors, assumingly male, seem to greatly lament the fact that society has stripped them of their freedom to disparage women openly, freely and to their face. Their logic goes something like this:

"If I want to tell that fat bitch in accounting that she belongs in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, well then damn it that's my God given right! And any culture or society that oppresses my freedom to offend and disparage others with impunity is fuckin fascist man!"

You guys are awesome! :lol:

Private employer.

If they want to fire people who express a problem with gay marriage and keep people who favor it, I have no problem with that. Same is true of the reverse situation. And the same goes for this specific situation - I don't see a problem with a private employer firing someone over this.

Except that I can't even imagine the backlash that would follow from an employee being fired for expressing support of gay marriage.

and he should have been fired, you are not suppose to discuss those things in the work place.

That depends. If the worker wasn't in a position of power, and the co-worker asked an opinion, he shouldn't have been fired.

If they are friends, and it came up in the normal course of events, he shouldn't have been fired. Perhaps a training or an intimate, uncomfortable session with his supervisor would have been appropriate.

I had to cover an event in out community...a gay acting troupe came through and put on a performance and PFLAG was taking all their group to it. The show while entertaining was inappropriate for kids, and the PFLAG coordinator was a school counselor.

I covered the event, I didn't nail the PFLAG person on it. But I told the newsroom I would not put my byline on the story, and voiced my disapproval of covering it in a shining light. Which I didn't. I covered it, in a neutral professional fashion. No by line because I said if they were going to put my byline on it, I wouldn't write it up. I don't believe I even referred to the gayness of it (and it was very gay). I covered it the same way I would any show.

I didn't get fired for voicing my opinion, and I voiced it in an open newsroom with all the reporters, copyeditors and newseditor in attendance.

I also believe that other people who respond to those hetro flaunters as being immoral will not get fired or be able to sue udner sexual harassment. :eusa_shhh:

She mentioned her wedding FOUR times, in front of him, looking at him, waiting for him to comment, knowing his beliefs on the subject. Then when he did comment, she got him fired.

At my work place, people getting married mention it quite a bit too. So? But, I know...we gays always are flaunting when we do the same thing straights do. I know how that song is sung. :rolleyes

Ah...you buy the word of some guy who in essence is saying..."She said she was married FOUR times in front of me! She's so mean! She's flaunting her sexuality to me! It's HER fault!"

Can you imagine a Christians talking about his/her beliefs openly in front of a muslim, FOUR times, and waiting for them to comment, then getting them fired when the Muslim says the Christian is wrong, or vice a versa?

Yes, I can imagine it because I've seen it happen...a lot more than once...and flaunt in front of Jewish people...and in front of pagan people. As long as they are just talking about their faith and not trying to push it on the Muslim, Jew, Pagan.

But wait...are you saying the Lesbian was trying to PUSH her Lesbianism on this guy? That she was trying to turn him into a .... LESBIAN?????

Why is this any different?
:eek::eek::eek:

I've actually ran into enough people on the left in my lifetime to know that she probably did taunt him. I've seen it because that is what people on the left do so don't give me this garbage she was just showing off her wedding pictures. She probably knew he had conservative principles and delibertly said it in front of him just to bait him.

Getting fired for sexual harassment is complete bull because the only reason this is being done is because companies are afraid of getting sued and liberals have discovered a power to silence others at the workplace for their beliefs because no one ever gets fired for flaunting their offensive lifestyle to others even though that "christian hatemonger" might find it offensive. That is how sexual harassment laws are being used to push a "liberal agenda".

It's been my experience that there are a lot of evangelical Christians who feel it is there "duty" to "spread the word of God" by condemning other people and their private choices. They actually interpret the Bible as endorsing such behavior and they take pride in doing it.

In their minds they haven't done anything wrong and the fact that they suffer consequences for doing it just makes them more proud because they think they are "earning crowns in heaven" because they've been "persecuted" for their faith.

So this guy got busted - he suffered consequences. I guess now he can claim an extra crown in heaven or something.

It's been my experience that there are a lot of evangelical Christians who feel it is there "duty" to "spread the word of God" by condemning other people and their private choices. They actually interpret the Bible as endorsing such behavior and they take pride in doing it.

In their minds they haven't done anything wrong and the fact that they suffer consequences for doing it just makes them more proud because they think they are "earning crowns in heaven" because they've been "persecuted" for their faith.

So this guy got busted - he suffered consequences. I guess now he can claim an extra crown in heaven or something.

He is actually using his right of free speech to spread the word of God just like the lesbian is doing when she is talking about her "wedding". They both deserve a chance to express their views no matter how offensive they are to other people but the fact that you used the term "busted" as if he committed a crime concerns me. It is not a crime to preach Christianity but I'm afraid your vurnacular reveals what we on the right believe about the left and that is you see christianity as a crime that gets "busted".

Do you see why I don't believe you should call yourselves liberal anymore?

He is actually using his right of free speech to spread the word of God just like the lesbian is doing when she is talking about her "wedding". They both deserve a chance to express their views no matter how offensive they are to other people but the fact that you used the term "busted" as if he committed a crime concerns me. It is not a crime to preach Christianity but I'm afraid your vurnacular reveals what we on the right believe about the left and that is you see christianity as a crime that gets "busted".

Not so much a crime or criminals but more like unwanted pest, kinda like termites. I need christians trying to save my soul as much as i need herpes. If you want gay people to keep their lifestyle to themselves, set an example by keeping your religion to yourself.

But they do have the right to express their views on their own time sure, but at work no they dont. Most companies have HR policies with the intent of preventing employees from saying that that could be remotely offensive (to a seller, customer or fellow employee) about certain protected categories such as race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, etc. And if their policies are violated employers can fire the fuck out of these people.

Last edited:
The really funny thing about this thread is that a handful of contributors, assumingly male, seem to greatly lament the fact that society has stripped them of their freedom to disparage women openly, freely and to their face. Their logic goes something like this:

"If I want to tell that fat bitch in accounting that she belongs in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant, well then damn it that's my God given right! And any culture or society that oppresses my freedom to offend and disparage others with impunity is fuckin fascist man!"

ihopehefails is particularly awesome in this regard. :rofl:

I certainly cannot deny your experience, however, my experience is just the opposite.

I do understand the Christian experience, and I don't believe it is our duty to go around condemning people. However, there is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion when the topic is on the floor.

If one was fired, both should have been. The topic was either wrong, or just one side of the topic was wrong. Can it really be that only once side of the topic is wrong, and illegal to discuss? I don't think so.

Can only the gays be offended, and not the straights? I think not. What arrogance to feel like th gays can talk about gay marriage, but the straights cannot. Arrogance again when gays think that it should be illegal to discuss being against gays but anyone can discuss gays as a good thing, and that is OK.

Double standards don't get it with me.

She mentioned her wedding FOUR times, in front of him, looking at him, waiting for him to comment, knowing his beliefs on the subject. Then when he did comment, she got him fired.

At my work place, people getting married mention it quite a bit too. So? But, I know...we gays always are flaunting when we do the same thing straights do. I know how that song is sung. :rolleyes

Ah...you buy the word of some guy who in essence is saying..."She said she was married FOUR times in front of me! She's so mean! She's flaunting her sexuality to me! It's HER fault!"

Yes, I can imagine it because I've seen it happen...a lot more than once...and flaunt in front of Jewish people...and in front of pagan people. As long as they are just talking about their faith and not trying to push it on the Muslim, Jew, Pagan.

But wait...are you saying the Lesbian was trying to PUSH her Lesbianism on this guy? That she was trying to turn him into a .... LESBIAN?????

Why is this any different?

I've actually ran into enough people on the left in my lifetime to know that she probably did taunt him. I've seen it because that is what people on the left do so don't give me this garbage she was just showing off her wedding pictures. She probably knew he had conservative principles and delibertly said it in front of him just to bait him.

Getting fired for sexual harassment is complete bull because the only reason this is being done is because companies are afraid of getting sued and liberals have discovered a power to silence others at the workplace for their beliefs because no one ever gets fired for flaunting their offensive lifestyle to others even though that "christian hatemonger" might find it offensive. That is how sexual harassment laws are being used to push a "liberal agenda".

Yes...your personal experience with OTHER people, not these, makes it very clear that this woman taunted that man.

Thats right. You SHOULD get fired for voicing such an opinion- although I am quite sure anyone voicing the opinion that gay marriage is ok would get a pass. I am also sure that if the individual was fired for expressing support for gay marriage, the OP would be screamin bloody hell. MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM- nothin like a fully programmed lefty....

he didn't get fired for "voicing an opinion". he got fired for harassing a gay co-worker. and if someone were harassing one of my employees, I'd fire their sorry butts, too.

Not so much a crime or criminals but more like unwanted pest, kinda like termites. I need christians trying to save my soul as much as i need herpes. If you want gay people to keep their lifestyle to themselves, set an example by keeping your religion to yourself.

But they do have the right to express their views on their own time sure, but at work no they dont. Most companies have HR policies with the intent of preventing employees from saying that that could be remotely offensive (to a seller, customer or fellow employee) about certain protected categories such as race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, etc. And if their policies are violated employers can fire the fuck out of these people.

Why can't we apply the same rule to gay woman? Why can't I say she is free to express her views on her own time because what is good for the christian is good for the lesbian but it seems to me that you craft your argument in such a way that the lesbian can say whatever view she wants but when the christian expresses his own belief he is told he to he can't.

Most of those companies developed those rules for fear of being sued and because of that the "liberals" have expanded the definition of sexual harassment to include behaviors that they find offensive such as the case above. A christian will never have the ability to sue for sexual harrassment by saying that her expressing her views on sexuality offended him and created a "hostile workplace" but if that same christian says that he believes a woman's place is in the home then the employer is subject to a lawsuit due to him supposly creating a "hostile workplace".

Now why is it that one group of people with certain political views seem to think that they are entitled to the wheels of power and want to use it against their opponents while the other side can't use those tactics?

Thats right. You SHOULD get fired for voicing such an opinion- although I am quite sure anyone voicing the opinion that gay marriage is ok would get a pass. I am also sure that if the individual was fired for expressing support for gay marriage, the OP would be screamin bloody hell. MMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMM- nothin like a fully programmed lefty....

he didn't get fired for "voicing an opinion". he got fired for harassing a gay co-worker. and if someone were harassing one of my employees, I'd fire their sorry butts, too.

I'm wondering how he sexually harassed her when all he did was quote his belief about her relationship. He could have expressed his belief that adultry was wrong to a cheating co-worker and not get fired for sexual harassment but since the topic was one about gay marriage then he was subject to being fired. The question I want to know is why is it ok to express an opinion about someone's sex life in one situation but not in another that happens to involve a hot political topic that the left supports.

That is the issue I am trying to raise here.

Yes...your personal experience with OTHER people, not these, makes it very clear that this woman taunted that man.

I guess not but I'm basing what happen here on a pattern that I have observed in my own lifetime.

ihopehefails is particularly awesome in this regard. :rofl:

I'm not defending "get back to the kitchen" but defending someone's right to express or even have that view. Has it occurred to you that people have a right to hold onto whatever view they want in life no matter how offensive it is to others?

Now you might say that the employer has the right to fire whoever he/she wants and that I won't contest but the most sexual harassment rules are merely ways to protect the company from getting sued in court so if the court deems it sexual harassment to express "women must stay in the kitchen" then companies tell their employees that they can't say that. This means that its not the companies deciding what can be said but those who feel that people don't have the right to express those views by using the civil court system.

Imagine the uproar if a whole bunch of christians were able to define sexual harassment as being flamboyantly gay in the workplace and employers would be subject to being sued if there is an openly gay person around. Would the employer then instruct the gay employee to not be so damn flamboyant or open about their way of life? And at the same time the christians can go around and preech their morality to everyone. Wouldn't that be a little unbalanced?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back