McKinsey: Automation May Wipe Out 1/3 of America’s Workforce by 2030

Which is why it should be coupled to a 30 hour work week.

How many people can afford a 30 hour work week?
You ever notice the left's version of economic prosperity isn't actually getting paid more for doing more but settling into your new found poverty for less work hours. It's like they can't give you the option to work hard and get rich, all they can do is promise you that your poverty will be achieved with lower work hours.

Then there is real life where there just may not be enough work for the size of our workforce due to automation. Sorry, not everybody gets to be a John Galt like you.
They don't want to even give you the idea you could be Galt. Keep your poverty job and be happy you get to live. It's the communist way.

John Galt was a quitter and let's be serious, a fictional billionaire that almost nobody will ever be. Keep the dream alive, I'll bet you everything you have you will never reach that level of wealth, most people won't and our economy needs to work for the middle class too.

We're also talking about the middle class, not 'poverty jobs' like your paper route.
Have you read the book? He took his effort elsewhere from just becoming part of the herd. Of course he quit, why the hell would you continue working for the same amount of money the other idiots get for doing nothing? The fact you think being rich is a dream beyond your capabilities tells me a lot about you and how pathetic you are. You give up on yourself. Probably a good call. You weren't meant for great things.

even hookers will become robots?
In Japan I think they already are.
where do I put my 10.00 Bill?
I think her ass is the card reader. Just swipe the Visa.
well all my cards are chips...what about my 1.00 cash tip?
You have to find the chip reader, squeeze the left tit once for every dollar you want to add to the tip.

How many people can afford a 30 hour work week?
You ever notice the left's version of economic prosperity isn't actually getting paid more for doing more but settling into your new found poverty for less work hours. It's like they can't give you the option to work hard and get rich, all they can do is promise you that your poverty will be achieved with lower work hours.

Then there is real life where there just may not be enough work for the size of our workforce due to automation. Sorry, not everybody gets to be a John Galt like you.
They don't want to even give you the idea you could be Galt. Keep your poverty job and be happy you get to live. It's the communist way.

John Galt was a quitter and let's be serious, a fictional billionaire that almost nobody will ever be. Keep the dream alive, I'll bet you everything you have you will never reach that level of wealth, most people won't and our economy needs to work for the middle class too.

We're also talking about the middle class, not 'poverty jobs' like your paper route.
Have you read the book? He took his effort elsewhere from just becoming part of the herd. Of course he quit, why the hell would you continue working for the same amount of money the other idiots get for doing nothing? The fact you think being rich is a dream beyond your capabilities tells me a lot about you and how pathetic you are. You give up on yourself. Probably a good call. You weren't meant for great things.

Oh, I didn't realize you're a billionaire, you must be because according to you, if you're not then you're lazy.

First of all you're complaining that automation is taking your job but aren't willing to move along with the job requirement.

Im not a meter reader, so automation isn't taking away MY job. They looked at a program for my department, but cancelled it because it didn't work and was actually dangerous to our employees and the public.

You kind of want the head guy type of salary without any of the responsibilities or adapting to the future of where the job will be.

I have no interest in doing the job necessary to get paid that way. I get paid a fair wage for what I do. I'm fine with that. What I am not doing is going out of my way to get education or skills I don't need for my current job because I have no interest in advancing to a job I don't want and I'm not contractually obligated to advance to.

You're counting on a union to hold a position for you that is becoming less in need simply because it's always been what you do. You're one union vote, or one state wide for for Right to Work away from losing your job because you're not flexible enough to keep up.

Again, I'm not a meter reader. I'm in an Engineering/Operations Support mapping group. I'm also the Department Steward and a member of the Negotiating Committee. If they really want me gone, fine. I'll step back and watch the Department crumble, as there are types of work I do that nobody else in the Department can do.

Do you have computer classes available to you from the company or the union? If not why not? If so why the hell aren't you taking them?

I work on a PC 40 hours a week. The company wants a 4 year degree and html/database management skills. The company offers reimbursement for classes but no up front payment, and I'm not interested anyway.

First of all you're complaining that automation is taking your job but aren't willing to move along with the job requirement.

Im not a meter reader, so automation isn't taking away MY job. They looked at a program for my department, but cancelled it because it didn't work and was actually dangerous to our employees and the public.

You kind of want the head guy type of salary without any of the responsibilities or adapting to the future of where the job will be.

I have no interest in doing the job necessary to get paid that way. I get paid a fair wage for what I do. I'm fine with that. What I am not doing is going out of my way to get education or skills I don't need for my current job because I have no interest in advancing to a job I don't want and I'm not contractually obligated to advance to.

You're counting on a union to hold a position for you that is becoming less in need simply because it's always been what you do. You're one union vote, or one state wide for for Right to Work away from losing your job because you're not flexible enough to keep up.

Again, I'm not a meter reader. I'm in an Engineering/Operations Support mapping group. I'm also the Department Steward and a member of the Negotiating Committee. If they really want me gone, fine. I'll step back and watch the Department crumble, as there are types of work I do that nobody else in the Department can do.

Do you have computer classes available to you from the company or the union? If not why not? If so why the hell aren't you taking them?

I work on a PC 40 hours a week. The company wants a 4 year degree and html/database management skills. The company offers reimbursement for classes but no up front payment, and I'm not interested anyway.
You said: I'll step back and watch the Department crumble, as there are types of work I do that nobody else in the Department can do.

Pure fantasy.
My sister's husband had that attitude. Because his job was specialized. He said again and again the department would fall apart without him. One day he got too mouthy and they couldn't take it anymore.

They found someone else.

There is always someone else.

No one is irreplaceable. No one.

The days of growing up to work in your daddy's factory are long gone. We need to retool our education system for the jobs of tomorrow, not the jobs of yesterday.

McKinsey: automation may wipe out 1/3 of America’s workforce by 2030

In a new study that is optimistic about automation yet stark in its appraisal of the challenge ahead, McKinsey says massive government intervention will be required to hold societies together against the ravages of labor disruption over the next 13 years. Up to 800 million people—including a third of the work force in the U.S. and Germany—will be made jobless by 2030, the study says.

The bottom line: The economy of most countries will eventually replace the lost jobs, the study says, but many of the unemployed will need considerable help to shift to new work, and salaries could continue to flatline. "It's a Marshall Plan size of task," Michael Chui, lead author of the McKinsey report, tells Axios.

Translation: Stop drinking the piss of politicians who tell you they will bring back the jobs that went overseas. The jobs didn't go overseas. They have been automated and are never coming back.

Read this, too: https://economics.mit.edu/files/12763

Between 1993 and 2007, every new robot replaced between 3 and 5.6 workers.

Read this: http://conexus.cberdata.org/files/MfgReality.pdf

"Almost 88 percent of job losses in manufacturing in recent years can be attributable to productivity growth, and the long-term changes to manufacturing employment are mostly linked to the productivity of American factories.”

Gone, baby, gone. Those jobs are not coming back. Ever. Anyone who promises you they are is a fucking criminal liar.

When a shitbag politician tells you he is going to bring back those lost jobs with tariffs and trade deals, he is talking out of his ass. He is being fucking lazy and hoping you are too ignorant to catch on.

We need to start burning those politicians at the stake, and start forcing their replacements to retool our entire education system.

Back to Axios:

• The transition compares to the U.S. shift from a largely agricultural to an industrial-services economy in the early 1900s forward. But this time, it's not young people leaving farms, but mid-career workers who need new skills. "There are few precedents in which societies have successfully retrained such large numbers of people," the report says, and that is the key question: how do you retrain people in their 30s, 40s and 50s for entirely new professions?

Wake up, America. You're children are being robbed of a future by elected hucksters.
You're delusional if you believe all these displaced workers can be trained to write code.
We transitioned from 90 percent farmers to less than 2 percent farmers.

You are the reason politicians lie to us. Because you don't want to do what's hard. You want easy lies.

This will be different because soon there won't be a single job that machines can't do better and faster.

The days of growing up to work in your daddy's factory are long gone. We need to retool our education system for the jobs of tomorrow, not the jobs of yesterday.

In a new study that is optimistic about automation yet stark in its appraisal of the challenge ahead, McKinsey says massive government intervention will be required to hold societies together against the ravages of labor disruption over the next 13 years. Up to 800 million people—including a third of the work force in the U.S. and Germany—will be made jobless by 2030, the study says.

The bottom line: The economy of most countries will eventually replace the lost jobs, the study says, but many of the unemployed will need considerable help to shift to new work, and salaries could continue to flatline. "It's a Marshall Plan size of task," Michael Chui, lead author of the McKinsey report, tells Axios.

Translation: Stop drinking the piss of politicians who tell you they will bring back the jobs that went overseas. The jobs didn't go overseas. They have been automated and are never coming back.

"Almost 88 percent of job losses in manufacturing in recent years can be attributable to productivity growth, and the long-term changes to manufacturing employment are mostly linked to the productivity of American factories.”

Gone, baby, gone. Those jobs are not coming back. Ever. Anyone who promises you they are is a fucking criminal liar.

When a shitbag politician tells you he is going to bring back those lost jobs with tariffs and trade deals, he is talking out of his ass. He is being fucking lazy and hoping you are too ignorant to catch on.

We need to start burning those politicians at the stake, and start forcing their replacements to retool our entire education system.

Back to Axios:

• The transition compares to the U.S. shift from a largely agricultural to an industrial-services economy in the early 1900s forward. But this time, it's not young people leaving farms, but mid-career workers who need new skills. "There are few precedents in which societies have successfully retrained such large numbers of people," the report says, and that is the key question: how do you retrain people in their 30s, 40s and 50s for entirely new professions?

Wake up, America. You're children are being robbed of a future by elected hucksters.
You're delusional if you believe all these displaced workers can be trained to write code.

You are the reason politicians lie to us. Because you don't want to do what's hard. You want easy lies.

This will be different because soon there won't be a single job that machines can't do better and faster.
When machines are able to create films, design applications, invent new products, or interact with humans better than humans, then we can think about them taking up our space. Until then, the more they take up the repetitious or computational parts of our lives and jobs the better...and if you don't like it then you can go back to washing all your clothes by hand and only buying hand-crafted cars. Good luck.

Back to Axios:

When machines are able to create films, design applications, invent new products, or interact with humans better than humans, then we can think about them taking up our space. Until then, the more they take up the repetitious or computational parts of our lives and jobs the better...and if you don't like it then you can go back to washing all your clothes by hand and only buying hand-crafted cars. Good luck.

They will be able to do all of that. Furthermore, how many humans can do those things? Most of the customer service reps I interact with are downright dumb, incompetant or just plain rude. Computers are already better at diagnosing cancer than humans are.

Back to Axios:

Yes, education should be about preparing people for the future. Rather than in the US where it's just something you do because.... well, you just do it.

Go to a four day work week for full time employees is a good start.
That’s dependent on what job you work in, if it’s in some sort of construction or Labor business, well there a deadlines and actual work that needs to be done. And if you’re paying your employees hourly, not only are you going to be forever 1/5 behind on your deadlines, those employees won’t be too happy with 4 days pay. Sure there’s a lot of jobs with people spending multiple hours a day on social media and whatnot because they don’t actually have work to do the entire time. But there’s also a shit ton of jobs that still need to operate on 5 day work weeks. Lawyers, healthcare, labor, anything hourly, etc.

Being able to work a shorter work week on a fulltime job should be a benefit OF automation. Time was when people routinely worked 12 hour days in what was considered a fulltime job.

It benefits you personally but not financially. I would love to work 10 hours a week and get paid for 40. Life would be great, but nobody will pay you for 40 hours a week while only working 10.

The income disparity between CEOs and other executives and their workforce has been getting wider and wider.

Instead of sharing the wealth created by the more productive workforce, the upper management has been keeping it for themselves.

If we go to a 30 day workweek, there is more than enough wealth to pay four 30-hour employees the same paychecks as the three 40-hour workers are currently getting.

I don't know what you think that would solve. We don't have a problem with not enough jobs in this country, we have a problem of getting people to take jobs. Industry is competing against government for those people. But if people find it more advantageous to go on the dole than work, what do you think they would do?

I would be first in line for that puppy! Give me 3 10 hour days and I am golden!

There is a flip side we also have to implement.

We are living longer, we should be working longer. Common sense.

Social Security and Medicare eligibility age needs to be changed to 70, indexed to 9 percent of the population.

The American average lifespan is only 78.

Which is 18 years longer than when Social Security was established.

We are living DECADES longer. We should be working longer. Common sense.

I don't see a benefit to raising the age of retirement to 70, especially if there are fewer jobs due to automation, I don't see how someone who is 65, less productive really stands a chance in the workforce.
The 65 year old of today is healthier than the 65 year old of 1935.

We are living longer, we should be working longer. Common. Fricking. Sense.

My issue with this is as you age your productivity goes down and if you have older Americans hanging onto jobs that younger people should have, then what happens? What are companies going to do? Hang onto people who earn more money and don't produce as much as they used to, or fire them and hire younger people who are more productive?

What happens to the older generation who can't find a job but are now too young to retire? Plus the average lifespan hasn't really increased that much. In 1960 it was 70, now it's 78. Then what happens if the average lifespan ever drops, what do we do then?

Life Expectancy In U.S. Drops For First Time In Decades, Report Finds
How are any of the problems you described not applicable to the current situation?

If you work until 70, you have increased the number of your earning years. You will be contributing longer to the treasury, and drawing out less. That's a boon to our federal expenditures on entitlement programs.

5.4% of Americans were over 65 when SS was established. Now, 15% of Americans are over 65. That is an unsustainable trend. Less workers are supporting more retirees.

We are living longer. We should be working longer. Common sense.

As for life expectancy dropping, that's because we are victims of our own prosperity and have become obese.

Working until a later age is a suggestion by those who stand in front of a camera holding a microphone. But do you want to see a 69 year old man carry shingles up a ladder to a roof three stories high? Do you want the guy collecting your garbage to be working like that at age 67? Would you like to see 66 year old guys carrying 8" block to a job site or mixing cement? Or my job for instance: would you want to be the car in front of me when I'm piloting a 75,000 lbs vehicle and traffic comes to a sudden stop?

When it comes to blue collar work, many struggle to do their jobs until the age of 65 yet alone 70. Working later in life is only applicable to certain jobs that don't require physical labor or quick decision making.

Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
Don't let 'em pick guitars or drive them old trucks
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such

If everybody could be a lawyer or doctor, I'm sure they would. But not everybody can succeed in advanced eduction or careers.

This is absolute idiocy.

Automation has actually slowed down a ton since the 90s, and 12 years will mean basically nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Machines can’t even replace incompetent teenagers behind the counter of a McDonalds yet.

Even the automated cashier stations at Walmart are starting to lose their appeal, and they implemented that shit a half a decade ago.

Lawyers, teachers, politicians, judges and doctors can just as easily be replaced by robots ---- electronic intelligence. The reality is that no human wants to speak to a know-it-all or something unsympathetic.

People involved in the arts and the crafts are the only ones who will always just enjoy living. Frankly, all it will take is another event the scope to the Carrington Event of 1859 to put everything back on a human scale ---- only this time such an event will be far worse and far more reaching and permanent.

Last edited:
even hookers will become robots?

Would it be against the law to have a stable of sex robots? Would they call it robot trafficking? Think about it, you could make a mint with a house of robot sex workers. Hey, could franchise.
i cant wait to see the catalogue of robots to choose from,,i want the robot that is a white woman who feels black

This is absolute idiocy.

Automation has actually slowed down a ton since the 90s, and 12 years will mean basically nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Machines can’t even replace incompetent teenagers behind the counter of a McDonalds yet.

Even the automated cashier stations at Walmart are starting to lose their appeal, and they implemented that shit a half a decade ago.

Well that's what it's about. It's up to the people whether to accept automation or not. As for myself, I only went to a self-checkout line in the grocery store when I was in a hurry one time. Other than that, I refuse to use them.

http://beta.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wendys-kiosk-20170227-story.html

Forum List

Back