Millennials: The Dumbest Generation in History?

Public education is to blame.

YOU are to blame, troll.
I say this should be considered for a healthy share of the blame.

The Agenda: Grinding America Down

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

When a student knows nothing at the end of the school year than they did when they first walked in, it is the moral and ethical duty for teachers not to kick them out the door to the next grade.

They do worse then that. They give up on them before the school year even ends.

Well is it really "they", or one teacher? Most, or all, or many, or a few, or what?

That is obviously not acceptable. Teachers should be contacting the parents of students who are not doing well in their class, first. At the very minimum, when you contact them, they should respond. Does this always happen...obviously not, as we see here, and as even I have seen with my own kids. But that is not a condemnation of most and certainly not all teachers.

YOU are to blame, troll.

When a student knows nothing at the end of the school year than they did when they first walked in, it is the moral and ethical duty for teachers not to kick them out the door to the next grade.

Laura Bush wabted to leave no child behind.

The correct way toread that is that we should do what we can to bring every child up to the level so he she can keep up.

The problem with blanket statements like that is they are simply unrealistic. They SOUND good. They don't work though.

If you assume the average human has an IQ of 100, then you will have a good number who fall below that. In ideal circumstances the ones who fall below can tread water fairly well. But if their circumstances are less than ideal, they just can't. They will fall behind. What do you really expect teachers to do about this? Does ANYONE have any solutions to teaching a child with an IQ of 85 to read at grade level when he has been in four elementary schools by second grade, does not know his father, and lives with his single mother in a hotel with her three other children?

Someone tell me how this teacher is magically not going to have to "leave this child behind"

The poor kids today stuck in public schools being taught by Trump hating snowflakes...all we can hope for is the kids will see through their psycho progressive BS.....

Um. I teach in public schools and voted for Trump in 2016. I plan to vote for him again in 2020. So I certainly don't hate him and do not consider myself a snowflake at all. For more proof, I'm a "freeloader"--I don't belong to my union, mostly for their disgusting stance on abortion.

YOU are to blame, troll.
Oh boy, another triggered teacher!

The fact they can’t take responsibility for the results of their TEACHING profession says it all.

The mind rapers of OUR generation created the Millennials. They weren't the ones who came up with participation trophies and Howard Zinn fucking history to death.

That was our generation.
Oh, I agree. But teachers who can’t teach is the bread and butter of the stupidest generation.

But teachers who can’t teach is the bread and butter of the stupidest generation.

Might be helpful to construct a proper sentence when attempting to make that point. "Teachers" is the subject of the sentence and is plural. Thus the proper verb is "are", not "is".
[emoji7][emoji108]

YOU are to blame, troll.

The fact they can’t take responsibility for the results of their TEACHING profession says it all.

The mind rapers of OUR generation created the Millennials. They weren't the ones who came up with participation trophies and Howard Zinn fucking history to death.

That was our generation.
This process deserves some credit for the current state of affairs.

YOU are to blame, troll.

That was our generation.
Oh, I agree. But teachers who can’t teach is the bread and butter of the stupidest generation.
Sounds like something Ali G (Sascha Baron Cohen) might say.

YOU are to blame, troll.

Well is it really "they", or one teacher? Most, or all, or many, or a few, or what?

That is obviously not acceptable. Teachers should be contacting the parents of students who are not doing well in their class, first. At the very minimum, when you contact them, they should respond. Does this always happen...obviously not, as we see here, and as even I have seen with my own kids. But that is not a condemnation of most and certainly not all teachers.

They. School policy. Save the help for more worthy students.

YOU are to blame, troll.

They. School policy. Save the help for more worthy students.

I'm very sorry to read this, truly. I have taught for 25 years, thousands and thousands of students due to the nature of what I teach. I have never met a student who wasn't worthy of being taught or worthy of learning. Or worthy of caring about.

At some point, very far in, the teacher must play triage IF the student AND the parents have given up and communicate this blatantly. IOW the teacher cannot care more AND work harder than the student. If the student is failing the class, refuses to work to bring the grade up and does not care, and neither do the parents--well, at that point, I'm in favor of the teacher putting attention on kids who are there to learn. NOT because the failing student is not worthy, but because again, the teacher cannot care more than the student, and cannot actually do the work FOR the student.

But that was not the case here, and I'm sorry for it.

PS I never post from school or on school time. We are on yet ANOTHER snow day today and likely to be one of many this week. Snowstorm and so much cold coming. I'm darn sick of it to be honest and just want to get back to life. Oh well

China is a Communist country that dictates every aspect of a child's life from before they wake up until they go to sleep. ....?

Not really

Oh, so the Chinese teachers that I attended graduate school with were lying?

Could be, or more likely you completely misunderstood what they were saying. Either way, your overdramatized comments were wrong.

Oh, yeah that's right! I misunderstood for an entire semester of graduate school.....

Longer than that, it seems.

You bitch at people who don't understand the educational system yet make categorical statements about it, but here you are doing the same thing.

Why is it that you pick and choose your statements based on whether you agree or not, instead of what is actually true?

YOU are to blame, troll.

The correct way toread that is that we should do what we can to bring every child up to the level so he she can keep up.

One of my kids was struggling one year. I would call the school and ask the teacher for extra credit they could do,tutoring anything to help them finish and pass. I was basically told 3 months before school was even out that it was too late for help, nothing they would recommend. The following year I moved them to a charter school. Best thing I ever did.

Extra credit is not for people who failed to complete the work the first time. It is very well possible that your child found themselves in a hole so deep that it was too late. It would be a waste of time. You should have been concerned sooner if you wanted to resolve the situation and not wait so long.

One of my kids was struggling one year. I would call the school and ask the teacher for extra credit they could do,tutoring anything to help them finish and pass. I was basically told 3 months before school was even out that it was too late for help, nothing they would recommend. The following year I moved them to a charter school. Best thing I ever did.

Extra credit is not for people who failed to complete the work the first time. It is very well possible that your child found themselves in a hole so deep that it was too late. It would be a waste of time. You should have been concerned sooner if you wanted to resolve the situation and not wait so long.

Doesnt matter , it worked out better in the long run. They ended up in a Charter school with smaller classes more one on one tutoring and graduated with high grades. Instead of being pushed aside and passed on after not learning anything all year.

Doesnt matter , it worked out better in the long run. They ended up in a Charter school with smaller classes more one on one tutoring and graduated with high grades. Instead of being pushed aside and passed on after not learning anything all year.

I am sorry, but it is your job as a parent to ensure they are learning. The teacher informs you through grade reports, online grade books, etc. If you ignore them and abdicate your responsibility, why is it the fault of the teacher?

I had parents who would come to school at the end of the year and scream at me for telling them their child would not pass.They would say, "Why didn't you tell me?" Then I would show them the grade reports they have access to on a daily basis, the progress reports sent home every 4 1/2 weeks, the report cards for each grading period, and the emails I sent home. Usually, they shut up, tucked their tails between their legs ,and mumbled some minor apology and then disappeared.

I am sorry, but it is your job as a parent to ensure they are learning. The teacher informs you through grade reports, online grade books, etc. If you ignore them and abdicate your responsibility, why is it the fault of the teacher?

I had parents who would come to school at the end of the year and scream at me for telling them their child would not pass.They would say, "Why didn't you tell me?" Then I would show them the grade reports they have access to on a daily basis, the progress reports sent home every 4 1/2 weeks, the report cards for each grading period, and the emails I sent home. Usually, they shut up, tucked their tails between their legs ,and mumbled some minor apology and then disappeared.
I did my job. I put them in a Charter school. Public school sucks.

Another benefit of Charter school is you can work at your own pace. And you can test out of classes. Not only did they get better grades. They caught up and graduated on time.

No. You abandoned your responsibility as a parent and blamed the school. Then you ran away so that you could reclaim your dignity.

No. You abandoned your responsibility as a parent and blamed the school. Then you ran away so that you could reclaim your dignity.
Now why would I keep them in a school that they were struggling and not learning anything at? That is just dumb.

While in Charter school they also had the opportunity to take courses at our local college that counted toward their grades.

Now why would I keep them in a school that they were struggling and not learning anything at? That is just dumb.

While in Charter school they also had the opportunity to take courses at our local college that counted toward their grades.

I am glad you finally took the steps necessary for your children, but that does not excuse your previous conduct.

I am glad you finally took the steps necessary for your children, but that does not excuse your previous conduct.
You have no idea about my previous conduct so...

Anyway. National average for kids that graduate from public school is around 80%.

My state? Barely 71% total. Large population of hispanics only 60% of which graduate.

And high drop out rates have been the norm since at least the 70’s.

It is not just the parents...sorry.

Forum List

Back