Minimum wage is already “livable”

If you want higher wages, then get higher wages. Nobody is stopping you. Learn a skill or trade and you will make much better money.
So here's the real divide.

Dumb and simple people are pretty limited in what they're capable of. Somebody with 80 IQ has a high likelihood of never being worth much in the market.

How much do we owe to stupid people just for existing? Surely it's something, and surely they're worth something, so what is it?

Let's stop pretending that this isn't really what we're talking about.

I keep hearing the left say that minimum wage, which is what the lowest 2% of Americans earn, needs to be increased to where it provides a “livable“ wage. The disconnect comes in what is considered livable - even for teens who barely squeaked through high school and have no job skills beyond that which can be taught to a middle schooler in half a day.

The left considers “livable” to be a middle class existence - a decent one-bedroom apartment, a car, a vacation. Where they miss is that is the level to which people should ASPIRE, and the desire to do so is what incentivizes one to get some vocational training (at a minimum).

To me, “livable” is how every member of my family lived when we were first starting out: either renting a room in someone’s house, or sharing a two- or three-bedroom apartment with others. I considered myself “living” doing that - I took the subway to work, did my job, bought groceries, and other basics.

And THAT is the lifestyle of someone right out of college, earning starting wages, or of a new high school graduate who has no real job skills to offer. In the case of the former, it will be temporary; in the case of the latter, it is rarely permanent as most people acquire job skills with experience.
Congratulations Lisa. 34 pages on min wage in one day..................LOLOLOLOL

I knew you were something special on your 1st post..................Way to go....I bow to you

A cuss word here or there though would be nice...lolololol

Because EVERYONE can be a Rocket Scientist

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to make a living. The construction industry is hurting. My father is a retired bricklayer. His union is sending out letters to all their retirees begging them to find young people to join the trade. Free training to anybody that can pass a drug screen, pays around $52.00 an hour plus overtime, you are laid off all winter so you sit home and collect unemployment, fantastic pension. My father retired at the age of 62. He's 90 now and still getting that pension. If he passes away before my mother, the pension continues to her. Can't find people to take the jobs.

My former industry is hurting. They need tens of thousands of drivers they can't find. You attend truck driving school for a month or so, guaranteed a job, and after a year or so of experience, the world is yours. You can work local, regional or over the road. Depending on what kind of work you're willing to do, you can make six figures within a few years.

So don't give me this rocket science bullshit.

Congratulations Lisa. 34 pages on min wage in one day..................LOLOLOLOL

I knew you were something special on your 1st post..................Way to go....I bow to you

A cuss word here or there though would be nice...lolololol

Always a lot of activity in topics about wages, illegal immigration and guns. It's our nature. :badgrin:

So here's the real divide.

Dumb and simple people are pretty limited in what they're capable of. Somebody with 80 IQ has a high likelihood of never being worth much in the market.

How much do we owe to stupid people just for existing? Surely it's something, and surely they're worth something, so what is it?

Let's stop pretending that this isn't really what we're talking about.

In some cases yes. If we were to give anything to anybody, those would be the people. But you know, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Our system rewards low income people to have children while the working are killing themselves to support a family of four. Maybe we need to reverse that trend if we are really going to make any attempt to solve poverty. For instance you don't get a dime of public assistance until you're fixed first. No more having kids while on the dole.

You are correct
The Super Rich are suffering

View attachment 564814
iu

Thanks Capt Hyperbole

Because raising the wage over $7.25 means $100
Pretty much no one earns $7.25 per hour and most of the areas of the country who do pay that are areas which are less expensive to live in. The guys you love to attack - Walmart, Amazon, McDonalds - they don't even have positions which pay $7.25 per hour but you attack them anyway.

That is what’s he saying. The problem with those on the left, present company excluded, is that they are focused only in the receiving end - in give out more, more, more. They have no understanding, nor do they want to, of the impact that would have on those providing, and by extension, those receiving.

People on the left think jobs are created to give people a place to work with good wages and benefits. That's not why people open up companies. They open up businesses to provide a product or service at a profit. The job creation is just part of that process.

The problem today is that the opportunity to rise up the ladder are much less than they were a generation ago

Yes, people do not earn minimum wage for life. But low skilled workers do not rise much higher.

It's my experience their problem is self-inflicted. Before the virus I can't tell you how many people at companies I delivered to constantly asked me if I knew anybody looking for a job. They couldn't find people because of drug usage. Most all better paying jobs have random drug screening.

One place was a steel company. The shipper told me they put out ads and get everybody to come in at once and have it in the cafeteria. He said they usually get between 15 and 20 people. The HR person stands up and tells all the applicants that the company does drug screening, and if they can't pass, they're wasting their time sitting through the seminar. He said usually at least a dozen people walk out.

No experience necessary, the job starts at $16.00 an hour, and raises come quickly to people who work out, and they have pretty good benefits.

So it's on the individuals to get control of themselves to be applicable for better paying jobs. We all know that insurance companies actually run this country, so our politicians will never make a law prohibiting drug tests with the exception of on the job intoxication.

More sarcasm, I see. Nobody here suggested any of that.

How HORRIBLE of us to suggest that poor people who don’t like having to rent a room and would rather have an apartment take advantage of the free Pell Grants (what a great opportunity we Americans give to poor people who want to improve their lives) and enroll in night school or take an online program.
It's called reductio ad absurdum. Liberals are taught at an early age what to do when backed into a corner. If this argument doesn't succeed, claims of racism will surely follow. Their playbook is all too predictable.

If you need to pay people $7.25 to stay in business, you don’t belong in business

Then the solution to your problem is easy. Open up your own business and pay your employees what you want. See how long you stay in business when your competitors are paying people what they are worth for the job they're doing.

In some cases yes. If we were to give anything to anybody, those would be the people. But you know, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Our system rewards low income people to have children while the working are killing themselves to support a family of four. Maybe we need to reverse that trend if we are really going to make any attempt to solve poverty. For instance you don't get a dime of public assistance until you're fixed first. No more having kids while on the dole.
Cutting them off just creates squalor. Squalor will create more crime. Do we really want to do that? It's not logical to expect ignorant poor people to make economically intelligent decisions for themselves. Having sex is a basic biological function and they're just never going to stop having kids. Maybe if the public provided contraception it would help.

Forum List

Back