Minimum wage is already “livable”

So who said minimum wage should be a living wage in the first place? I'm 61 years old and it's never been a living wage.
The man who set it all up.
FDR.

"
In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls;workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living

I've read a lot of stories were people went up to some homeless guy with a sign saying "will work for food" and tried to give them a bag of McDonalds, and they just sneered at it. What they really wanted was money for drugs and alcohol.

I did that once. It was on a highway ramp where they stand at the red light. It was at the end of the day and I was on my way back to the shop. I rolled down the window and offered him some Hostess cupcakes. He just gave me a dirty look instead.

FDR.

"
In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls;

Okay, he lied because as long as I've been alive, nobody could survive on their own making minimum wage. I couldn't do it back in the 70's, and people can't do it today. Nothing has changed. It's a leftist lie that at one time you could live on minimum wage.

We have this thing called the Bill of Rights ... so no. Regardless of how much it annoys anyone that people are producing children simply to get more welfare.

Where in the bill of rights does it mention anything about receiving welfare or requirements thereof?

Some businesses will fail. Others will take their place.

When others take their place they need the capital to do so. Higher wages would discourage such investments. What you people on the left don't realize is that when your employer raises your wage by $1.00 an hour, it costs them more than that dollar.

This may be the stupidest thing you've ever said in a long and distinguished career of saying stupid things. It's not the employers job to oay his employees enough to live on? Are you serious?

It isn't their job. What planet do you live on? Their job is for their business to succeed.

I'm afraid it is. Sorry for your luck.

As usual, your math is weak.

1637084833185.png

FDR.

"
In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls;workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living

I agree that any full time job, permanent job, should pay enough to support a person a child at least. But this isn't 1932. Society changed. We have many blended households with parents who don't work full time because they trade off taking care of kids, and their incomes need to stay under an amount to quality for healthcare, food assistance and even housing assistance.
It's where I break with the more liberal progressives. Imo we should focus more of the stability of soc sec and medicare, and make sure people can access that with the employment histories of today, rather than 1980 or 1932. Expand "free" breakfast and lunch at school ... esp with kids not having a mom to pack that peanut butter sammy. Expand Obamacare. In short, support working familes while realizing the 40 hour week is not really the reality for many

This may be the stupidest thing you've ever said in a long and distinguished career of saying stupid things. It's not the employers job to oay his employees enough to live on? Are you serious?

Why would it be the job of the employer to pay their employees enough to live on?

I don't understand how letting somebody keep more of the money they generated is welfare.
I didn't think you would. What I don't understand is how stupid heirs of multibillionaires who likely don't even manage their own assets automatically gain "generate money" cred while the desperate and mentally ill are simply presumed lazy and "stupid."

What I posted is the current rules according to the USDA. Feel free to show they are mistaken.
Hot foods prepared in a store, i.e. a grocery or convenience store, and consumed on the premises are allowed to be purchased under SNAP with the EBT.

Our stores are covered with signs showing which foods are eligible under SNAP that may be purchased with an EBT. This started in 2016. You need to read your Googled info a little closer.

Hot foods prepared in a store, i.e. a grocery or convenience store, and consumed on the premises are allowed to be purchased under SNAP with the EBT.

Our stores are covered with signs showing which foods are eligible under SNAP that may be purchased with an EBT. This started in 2016. You need to read your Googled info a little closer.

I copied and pasted directly from the USDA SNAP page. If you have different information then give us a link, "because you said so" is not really good enough .

Yeah, because people can't avoid having children or getting an abortion. It does require a modicum of personal responsibility though and that seems to be the real hangup here. Dumb people, um, I mean Democrats, aren't capable of such a feat, much like they aren't capable of getting an ID to vote.
You know what Republicans call black women who decide to keep their babies?

Welfare Queens

You know what Republicans call black women who decide to keep their babies?

Welfare Queens

So black women who have children are now on welfare? Wow, your true colors are showing. Anybody that is on welfare, no matter their race, should probably figure out what causes babies and try to take some precautions. Those that aren't are welcome to have as many as they would like.

Forum List

Back