Minimum wage is already “livable”

Here’s the way you can do it for a fraction of that:

1) Start at community college. If you’re poor, Pell Grants cover the tuition fully.

2) Transfer to the four-year university. You’ve already cut your cost in half. But if you’re smart, you get an academic scholarship which pays for around 1/3 to 1/2 the tuition.

3) You’re left with around $20k for a four-year degree. Work summers and part-time through school, and you can cover around half of that. Borrow the remaining $10,000, which, let’s face it, is about a third of the car loan kids take out, and we don’t hear leftists crying about that.
Those who can succeed at a college level generally do
A great many fail.
Holding it up as a solution for all is deceptive

You don't know his story and your inability to show any compassion is noted.
your typical insult s noted, as well. You have no idea as to my level of compassion, nor how much of my money i donate, or to which charities I have assigned in my will. You’ve got a hell of a lot of nerve.

What I do know is that it takes a special kind of entitlement mentality to stand adjacent to a help-wanted sign, offering twice minimum wage, and beg for money.

Those who can succeed at a college level generally do
A great many fail.
Holding it up as a solution for all is deceptive
So enroll in a terminal CC program. Good vocational training, paid for by Pell Grants if you’re poor.

your typical insult s noted, as well. You have no idea as to my level of compassion, nor how much of my money i donate, or to which charities I have assigned in my will. You’ve got a hell of a lot of nerve.

What I do know is that it takes a special kind of entitlement mentality to stand adjacent to a help-wanted sign, offering twice minimum wage, and beg for money.
I never insulted you I stated the facts, you are the one looking to insult someone you have no idea about. You really don't know shit because you have never lived it. You have never walked a mile in their shoes, at least you don't claim to be a Christian.

We have seen your lack of compassion and condescending blame the victim attitude towards the poor

Here’s the way you can do it for a fraction of that:

1) Start at community college. If you’re poor, Pell Grants cover the tuition fully.

2) Transfer to the four-year university. You’ve already cut your cost in half. But if you’re smart, you get an academic scholarship which pays for around 1/3 to 1/2 the tuition.

3) You’re left with around $20k for a four-year degree. Work summers and part-time through school, and you can cover around half of that. Borrow the remaining $10,000, which, let’s face it, is about a third of the car loan kids take out, and we don’t hear leftists crying about that.

There is no law that you must attend college right out of high school. Nothing wrong with staying at home and working a few years to save up as much as you can. Most kids have no idea what they want to be so the choose whatever field the college picks for them because they are trying to fill classes nobody wants to go to.

When you work you get to talk to different people, interact with different companies. You read more about careers and have a better idea of what field to go into at 21 than you did at 18. Then you get into college paying cash, and as you said, still work weekends and full time when college is out for the year.

You may have to take out a loan later on, but a much smaller and manageable loan.

It really comes down to the question, "What is it worth to you?". What is a "livable wage" worth? Is it worth being uncomfortable? Is it worth dealing with people that make you feel uncomfortable? Is it worth being physically worn out at the end of the day? Like you said, it's surprising how quickly things become worth doing when the alternative is even worse. Anecdote, my son told us the other day that my grandson couldn't find his glasses. My son said, "I'm so sorry you lost them. I guess we can't be on the basketball team at school if you can't see very well". Within a short period of time, the glasses were found and the house was spotless, as he cleaned up while looking for them.

I believe that this generation has become so accustomed to being comfortable, to having everything handed to them, to assuming they have the right to be comfortable, that far too many refuse to take a job because it's not comfortable and requires sacrifice. It was not that long ago that you were considered quite lazy if you were 10 years old and not doing 4 hours of farm work every day.

And that's what I'm talking about.

When I was around 12 I approached my father as he was loading up his van to do yet another side job. He did side jobs after he got home from his full-time job and on weekends. I asked him if I could have $5.00. He asked "what makes you think I have $5.00 to give you?" I said because I know you work and have five bucks. He said well if that's the way I got my five dollars, that's the way you're going to get yours. Now get in the van.

My father was a bricklayer, and I worked with him most nights and weekends from that point. He paid me one dollar an hour to mix cement, carry bricks to the job site, prepare the next section he was going to work in. I came home at night exhausted, my hair full of sand and cement. While the neighbor kids were just going into the house from playing tag and basketball to watch television shows, I took a shower and went straight to bed.

Kids are not raised that way today. They want money the parents just give it to them. They grow up with that mentality that money is for the asking which explains most of the liberal comments in this topic.

and people have 4 years to pay those bills and it is not expected to be paid in full up front before you even step foot on the campus

My nephew is in his mid 30's. Until a year ago he was living with his mother to repay college loans. And mind you my sister and her ex also took out loans to pay some of that for him. If not for a very wealthy Uncle of his passing away, he probably would have had to live with my sister until his early 40's.

Yes, he has a Masters, but a lot of younger people are in his shoes.

And that's what I'm talking about.

When I was around 12 I approached my father as he was loading up his van to do yet another side job. He did side jobs after he got home from his full-time job and on weekends. I asked him if I could have $5.00. He asked "what makes you think I have $5.00 to give you?" I said because I know you work and have five bucks. He said well if that's the way I got my five dollars, that's the way you're going to get yours. Now get in the van.

My father was a bricklayer, and I worked with him most nights and weekends from that point. He paid me one dollar an hour to mix cement, carry bricks to the job site, prepare the next section he was going to work in. I came home at night exhausted, my hair full of sand and cement. While the neighbor kids were just going into the house from playing tag and basketball to watch television shows, I took a shower and went straight to bed.

Kids are not raised that way today. They want money the parents just give it to them. They grow up with that mentality that money is for the asking which explains most of the liberal comments in this topic.
So your dad laid bricks in the dark... :auiqs.jpg: I was a masonry contractor and paid my kids the same rate as my laborers because they deserved it and I wasn't a cheap bastard that tortured or used people.

My nephew is in his mid 30's. Until a year ago he was living with his mother to repay college loans. And mind you my sister and her ex also took out loans to pay some of that for him. If not for a very wealthy Uncle of his passing away, he probably would have had to live with my sister until his early 40's.

Yes, he has a Masters, but a lot of younger people are in his shoes.
Not my kids they had scholarships and netted monies in the black.

So your dad laid bricks in the dark... :auiqs.jpg: I was a masonry contractor and paid my kids the same rate as my laborers because they deserved it and I wasn't a cheap bastard that tortured or used people.

We worked until dark which around here is about 9:00. But yes, sometimes he'd bring out the light bar and work later if he wanted to finish up a job and get paid.

My father taught me the value of a dollar. It's a lesson that guided me my entire life. It's not that he was cheap, but there is only so much an 11 or 12 year old can do in construction. He paid me more when I got older and capable of doing more for him.

We worked until dark which around here is about 9:00. But yes, sometimes he'd bring out the light bar and work later if he wanted to finish up a job and get paid.

My father taught me the value of a dollar. It's a lesson that guided me my entire life. It's not that he was cheap, but there is only so much an 11 or 12 year old can do in construction. He paid me more when I got older and capable of doing more for him.
Slave labor and you loved it.

I was a masonry contractor but before I was an electronnics tech and manged resturaunts in the early and mid twenties. Yes, there are lazy people and yes you should have the mentality of mind yer own fucking business.

Forum List

Back