Mitt Romney

Republicans don't want the same old politicians, democrats do

I bet he's feeling pretty stupid for deciding not to run.

:lmao:
Yes and no. There has been a decent amount of commentary on how Romney must feel foolish that individuals like Jeb and Walker influenced him not to run. Part of the reason Romney looks so good right now though is because outside of Trump, no one has gained traction. If Mitt had decided to officially run, it would have been "anyone but mitt" 2.0. Giving all other 16 candidates a temporary boost. I think Jeb and Walker would be doing better if Romney were officially running. Romney, at this point, officially running would fuel the "not again!" attitude among GOP voters that is currently sort of dormant. That would only help the other candidates

Some speculate if things don't improve, Mitt might be brought in. And if that were to eventually be the case, then I think history would say Mitt made the right decision to stay out of this, until being asked to come back at the sight of none of the other candidates being able to receive the nomination after being given a fair shot at it

Republicans, apparently, don't unanimously have feelings either way on this sort of a statement. No one, besides Trump, has significant support right now

Last edited:
I bet he's feeling pretty stupid for deciding not to run.

:lmao:
Yes and no. There has been a decent amount of commentary on how Romney must feel foolish that individuals like Jeb and Walker influenced him not to run. Part of the reason Romney looks so good right now though is because outside of Trump, no one has gained traction. If Mitt had decided to officially run, it would have been "anyone but mitt" 2.0. Giving all other 16 candidates a temporary boost. I think Jeb and Walker would be doing better if Romney were officially running. Romney, at this point, officially running would fuel the "not again!" attitude among GOP voters that is currently sort of dormant. That would only help the other candidates

Some speculate if things don't improve, Mitt might be brought in. And if that were to eventually be the case, then I think history would say Mitt made the right decision to stay out of this, until being asked to come back at the sight of none of the other candidates being able to receive the nomination after being given a fair shot at it

Republicans, apparently, don't unanimously have feelings either way on this sort of a statement. No one, besides Trump, has significant support right now
How would Mitt be any different from Jeb on domestic issues? I don't really see it. I mean back in 2011, I kept waiting for Mitt so say, ok let's be adults here and admit we have to raise some revenue, but we can cut rates doing it, and look you know we really do need some of these illegal workers, so let's find out how many we need and which companies want them, and then we'll fire the rest of them and let them starve or leave......

Romney had his chance and he blew it when he let Candy Crowley get away with being an active participant in the debate. It showed he doesn't have the balls to stand up for himself. Trump would have made short work of him.

Romney decided not to run because he could not stand the thought of losing again. I really think he was so mislead into believing he was going to win, all the way up to election night when the results started coming in, that it really took it out of him. The presidency was something he really wanted and it was right there in his grasp, and then it was not. Personally, I like Mitt, but he blundered when he kowtowed to the far right. He lost a lot of those middle ground voters.

I like Romney too, after the election I thought it was a shame he didn't have a jobs bill to go along with stump speech about the bad economy. Think he may have scared folks away with the standard fair that the economy sucks along with being seen as against any social safety net. But hindsight is 20/20.

Forum List

Back