Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No, he is innocent

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No, he is guilty of a lesser charge

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
If he's guilty then I will be just as guilty when I shoot any intruder who dares to break into my home. It's recommended that if you do have to shoot someone who breaks in that you kill them. I know that sounds grizzly and I hope I never have to but there are two reasons for the recommendation:

1) An injured intruder may still be armed and may still pose a threat to life and limb.
2) Injured intruders can sue the pants off of homeowners for life-changing injuries.

On point 2 more and more states are enacting shield laws to prevent perpetrators of crimes from suing their would be victims. In any event a family could sue you for a dead skell anyway, unless of course the laws are written to prevent that.

I'm kind of surprised he's even being tried. They were IN his HOUSE.

The jurors heard the dramatic audio recordings Tuesday involving the homeowner who said he feared for his life after several previous break-ins.

Byron Smith, 65, is charged with first-degree premeditated murder in the slayings of cousins Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, on Thanksgiving Day 2012. The retired State Department security engineer told police that, after the repeated break-ins, he was so fearful that he installed recording devices in his house.

Glass breaking and footsteps could be heard on the recordings. According to Pam Louwagie, a reporter with the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the tapes captured the moments of the fatal shootings.

“The first couple of gunshots you hear are just two loud bangs, and then you hear Nick Brady groaning,” Louwagie said.

After another bang, Smith’s voice could be heard.

“You’re dead,” he said.

“And soon after that, you can hear a tarp rustling, and it sounds like he’s dragging Nick Brady across the carpet,” Louwagie said.

Minutes later, when Kifer went into the basement, perhaps looking for Brady, Smith apparently shot her too, then quickly said, “Oh, sorry about that.”

But, prosecutors said, he didn’t stop there, firing amid Kifer’s screams.

And how can it possibly be premedited?? He didn't know there would be another break-in; how could he? Wouldn't the prosecution have to prove that he knew they would be breaking in?

'You're Dead,' Minn. Man Said After Shooting Teen Intruder - ABC News

The moment the perps were no longer a threat, and he continued firing at them, he became guilty of premeditated murder.

Had he stopped shooting when they stopped being a threat, he'd be guilty of nothing at all.

How hard is that to figure out, really?

Precisely. A first year law student would see that in an instant.

Scenario: You are sleeping in your bed at midnight. Someone is in the kitchen. You grab your gun and turn the kitchen light on. An old man is rummaging through your refrigerator, looking for something to eat. He is a street bum who has broken in through the kitchen door. He turns, raises his hands and says, "Oh, sorry. Just looking for something to eat. I will be going now." You say, "Oh, no you won't, and shoot him five times in the chest. Murder one.

Just because someone breaks into your house does NOT give you the right to shoot them unless the circumstances are such that you reasonably feel that your life is in danger.

I'd still give him a pass for emotional distress.

The guy was the victim of multiple break ins he was old and fearful for his safety. Living like that can be very stressful.

I have no sympathy for the criminals that broke into this old man's home to terrorize and rob him.

In fact they deserved whatever they got.

And how can it possibly be premedited?? He didn't know there would be another break-in; how could he? Wouldn't the prosecution have to prove that he knew they would be breaking in?

The moment the perps were no longer a threat, and he continued firing at them, he became guilty of premeditated murder.

Had he stopped shooting when they stopped being a threat, he'd be guilty of nothing at all.

Precisely. A first year law student would see that in an instant.

Scenario: You are sleeping in your bed at midnight. Someone is in the kitchen. You grab your gun and turn the kitchen light on. An old man is rummaging through your refrigerator, looking for something to eat. He is a street bum who has broken in through the kitchen door. He turns, raises his hands and says, "Oh, sorry. Just looking for something to eat. I will be going now." You say, "Oh, no you won't, and shoot him five times in the chest. Murder one.

Just because someone breaks into your house does NOT give you the right to shoot them unless the circumstances are such that you reasonably feel that your life is in danger.

In my estimation there is a huge difference between homeless dude in fridge, and two kids breaking glass and etc after a history - or are you saying legally, there's no difference.

Legally, a lifetime of crime-free living on his part plays no role in this trial.

Legally, - why even bother with a trial then. If all that matters is the law being broken, which he clearly did, then why the trial.

Do the words "extenuating circumstances" fall in here, somewhere?

If he's guilty then I will be just as guilty when I shoot any intruder who dares to break into my home. It's recommended that if you do have to shoot someone who breaks in that you kill them. I know that sounds grizzly and I hope I never have to but there are two reasons for the recommendation:

1) An injured intruder may still be armed and may still pose a threat to life and limb.
2) Injured intruders can sue the pants off of homeowners for life-changing injuries.

On point 2 more and more states are enacting shield laws to prevent perpetrators of crimes from suing their would be victims. In any event a family could sue you for a dead skell anyway, unless of course the laws are written to prevent that.

That's a good thing because I don't believe an intruder should get a dime for breaking the law. Nevertheless, it still may be best to put him out of everyone else's misery.

Pre-meditation requires more than a few minutes or seconds of thinking about killing someone. it involves planning, and an intended target. The kill shots were manslaughter, sure, but not murder 1.

Wrong.

No....it's right. You can't accuse a home owner of premeditation when he arms himself inside his own home. You gotta be a victim of pop-culture education to consider that a home owner plans the murder of people who might plan to kill him. It was an unfortunate clash of anger and frustration and the poor guy who could have been left in peace will now be most likely be guilty of manslaughter and go to prison and the dumb assed burglars are dead.

The jurors heard the dramatic audio recordings Tuesday involving the homeowner who said he feared for his life after several previous break-ins.

Byron Smith, 65, is charged with first-degree premeditated murder in the slayings of cousins Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, on Thanksgiving Day 2012. The retired State Department security engineer told police that, after the repeated break-ins, he was so fearful that he installed recording devices in his house.

Glass breaking and footsteps could be heard on the recordings. According to Pam Louwagie, a reporter with the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the tapes captured the moments of the fatal shootings.

“The first couple of gunshots you hear are just two loud bangs, and then you hear Nick Brady groaning,” Louwagie said.

After another bang, Smith’s voice could be heard.

“You’re dead,” he said.

“And soon after that, you can hear a tarp rustling, and it sounds like he’s dragging Nick Brady across the carpet,” Louwagie said.

Minutes later, when Kifer went into the basement, perhaps looking for Brady, Smith apparently shot her too, then quickly said, “Oh, sorry about that.”

But, prosecutors said, he didn’t stop there, firing amid Kifer’s screams.

If you don't kill them, they get out of jail and come back after you. Shoot to kill. Little fuckers shouldn't have been breaking into the man's house.

And there's no law that you can't say "take that, bitch" or whatever you like when you shoot them. You're still defending your property and your life. You can even enjoy doing it, which I would...there's no law against enjoying it.

Last edited:
Let me tell you about these fucking teenagers...several years ago two guys and a girl showed up knocking on some nice, older people's home here in my town. They said they needed to use the phone, or needed a drink of water, I can't remember which. The nice older people let the little fuckers in. The girls was 14 years old. Winona Ryder her name was, Google it. She executed those people, shot them while they begged for their lives. Recently the bitch was trying to get out on parole. She didn't, thank God.

Teenagers need to be shot dead just like anyone else when they break into someone's house. It is an abomination to invade someone else's safe place like that. If you do it, you deserve to die. No ifs, ands or buts. People need to be able to feel safe in their own fucking homes.

Up here in my state, that guy probably wouldn't even be charged with anything, and if he was, no jury would convict. We had an incident a few years ago where some young people busted into a guy's house because they knew he had money in his safe from selling pot. They forced him at gun point to open the safe. What they didn't know is he also had a gun in his safe. So when he opened the safe for them he grabbed the gun and shot them dead. Some people thought maybe the prosecutor would come after him for having the drugs or whatever, but they didn't. He wasn't charged with a damn thing.

Last edited:
And one other thing...how are you going to PROVE that I wasn't afraid for my life? If I say I'm afraid for my life when someone BREAKS INTO MY HOME, I think you're just going to have to give me the benefit of the doubt, even if I do call people "bitch" or whatever as I shoot them. That's just adrenaline, you know.

And apparently none of you have seen the movies where the good guy shoots the bad guy, and the bad guy, laying on the floor apparently no longer a threat, GRABS the good guy by the ankle and pulls him down.

No, I have the right to finish the job to the point that I feel totally safe from these fucking intruders.

And if this would happen more often maybe people would start thinking twice about breaking into people's homes.

And reason #3, Drifting Sand...you don't want them coming back after you for revenge when they get out of jail in a couple of months.

Last edited:

And reason #3, Drifting Sand...you don't want them coming back after you for revenge when they get out of jail in a couple of months.

Very good point!!

That's a good thing because I don't believe an intruder should get a dime for breaking the law. Nevertheless, it still may be best to put him out of everyone else's misery.

You don't have the right to make that decision. You are not judge, jury and executioner. If you take on that role, you will go to prison.

Last edited:
Had it been me, I don't believe I would have shot the girl at all unless she produced a weapon. I would have held her at bay until the police arrived and arrested her. But none of us know what the homeowner saw or thought he saw. We probably don't know ALL of the facts.

We don't know for sure if the intruders were aggressive, agitated, drugged up, or threatening in any way. When you're alone in your home and you know that someone has broken in there is a sharp rise in fear, anxiety, blood pressure, and adrenaline. You're breathing hard and your heart is racing. You're thinking that either you are going to lose your life or you're going to have to take someone else's. What was the lighting like? How good is the homeowner's eyesight? What do the intruders have in their hands? (Even a hairbrush or cellphone or a candy bar can look like a weapon during that split-second when your head is full of blood and your heart is racing).

A good defense lawyer will try to establish that the homeowner saw the criminal grabbing for what appeared to be a weapon so he shot a second time.

You don't have the right to make that decision. You are not judge, jury and executioner. If you take on that role, you will go to prison.

I have a TOTAL right to be the judge when someone breaks into my home. Since I don't know their intent I have to assume that their intent is to kill me. So I have EVERY right to kill them first. Period!!!

I have a TOTAL right to be the judge when someone breaks into my home. Since I don't know their intent I have to assume that their intent is to kill me. So I have EVERY right to kill them first. Period!!!

Not the way the man in the OP did. He shot and disabled them. He did not have the right to continue shooting and purposely kill them after they were not a threat. Answer this: why are you so gung ho to kill people? Sounds like you really get a thrill out of thinking and talking about how you would take so much delight and pleasure is murdering someone. Sounds like you would get a hell of a lot of satisfaction out of it.

The Pharmacist killed an armed thug. He had the right AND the responsibility to defend himself and his patrons. If the armed criminal was still alive then he most certainly DID pose a threat to life and limb. I've heard Viet Nam vets tell stories of enemy soldiers who were shot but not killed who later re-armed and shot American soldiers. That sort of thing really can and does happen.

Not the way the man in the OP did. He shot and disabled them. He did not have the right to continue shooting and purposely kill them after they were not a threat. Answer this: why are you so gung ho to kill people? Sounds like you really get a thrill out of thinking and talking about how you would take so much delight and pleasure is murdering someone. Sounds like you would get a hell of a lot of satisfaction out of it.

You may or may not be right about them "not being a threat" after the first shot. We can't assume anything until we know all of the facts.

The bottom line is that the man had a right to defend himself and his property. The criminals were in his house ... he didn't shoot them in their house. The moral of the story?: If you don't want to get shot don't break into someone else's home.

P.S. I would never get satisfaction over killing anyone. However, I do get satisfaction when justice is served. There's a difference.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back