My older daughter, a teacher, called me last night...

One idea that the trainer brought up - so it must be circulating - was to have a gun in a locked safe in every classroom. The teachers shot that idea down (oops) for a variety of reasons, and I can understand that. But it seems to me that if there are a few employees willing to carry it could (could) make a difference.

It's insane that we're even having to talk about this, and it's indicative of a much larger problem.

that is not really a good idea

only those who want to and have been fully trained for should handle the weapon

as for a plan every classroom should have an escape window operable from the inside

kids should be taught to " get out of there " now instead of "locking yourself in a build" with an active shooter

Yeah, that will work great on a school that has no windows period! My first school had no windows except in entrances and hallways. I am sure you have about $30 million laying around to build a new school.

Also, are you familiar with the school shooting that happened when a student shot other students leaving school from a wooded area near the school?

The procedure is to run, hide, and fight. First, run away and get behind a locked door or out of the building. If you cannot run, you hide. If you cannot hide or are found, fight!

Yeah, that will work great on a school that has no windows period!

well thanks for the absolutes arnt you just a fucking genius

you would have to design your own plan by the looks of your fucking smart mouth that should be easy for you to do

I just so happened to design the plan for the high school where I taught for 4 years because I was the only veteran on the faculty!

Guess how many windows my classroom has this year? None.

Last year? None.

The previous 4 years? None.

The year prior? It had 2 small windows and I was located on the second floor. It was about 25 feet to the ground.

How about 4 years in another two schools? There were windows all along one wall and they were 6 feet off the floor.

I had really nice windows when I taught on an Army post. The school was built in 1957 and was torn down the next year. The new school? No windows.
Why not install bulletproof glass? Cheaper than tearing down and rebuilding a school? First floor only?

a safety plan needs to be developed around what you have not what one hopes for in the future

Yeah, that will work great on a school that has no windows period! My first school had no windows except in entrances and hallways. I am sure you have about $30 million laying around to build a new school.

Also, are you familiar with the school shooting that happened when a student shot other students leaving school from a wooded area near the school?

The procedure is to run, hide, and fight. First, run away and get behind a locked door or out of the building. If you cannot run, you hide. If you cannot hide or are found, fight!

Yeah, that will work great on a school that has no windows period!

well thanks for the absolutes arnt you just a fucking genius

you would have to design your own plan by the looks of your fucking smart mouth that should be easy for you to do

I just so happened to design the plan for the high school where I taught for 4 years because I was the only veteran on the faculty!

Guess how many windows my classroom has this year? None.

Last year? None.

The previous 4 years? None.

The year prior? It had 2 small windows and I was located on the second floor. It was about 25 feet to the ground.

How about 4 years in another two schools? There were windows all along one wall and they were 6 feet off the floor.

I had really nice windows when I taught on an Army post. The school was built in 1957 and was torn down the next year. The new school? No windows.
Why not install bulletproof glass? Cheaper than tearing down and rebuilding a school? First floor only?

That is not why they replaced the school. With a regiment of the 1st Infantry Division a few hundred yards away, there was not much of a threat.

Schools do not need windows because most students get distracted by rain, hail, snow and any other weather. It is also safer not to have them. The added benefit is that kids don't stare out the window daydreaming the class time away.
And life! Didn’t hurt me to have windows. I don’t want warehouses as schools and it’s a fire trap
exactly we have put a many new schools up out this way

they all have windows

Thorough security measures by professionals with only two main entrances to the school manned by professional security personnel and metal detectors. It should be as difficult to get into a school as it is to get on an airplane.

It would be paid for by the gun industry and gun owners as they are the ones causing the problem.

As I have repeatedly pointed out, do you want the school buses to start arriving at 5 am so security will have sufficient time to screen the thousands of students that arrive in time for school to start by 8am?

I have a better idea! There have been shootings on school buses so each bus should be equipped with it's own metal detectors and the bus drivers can screen all of the backpacks as the students get on the bus. That will only add about an hour to the bus run in the mornings.

You know if they make the local schools like a TSA checkpoint ... Then the children will learn to surrender to authority a whole lot quicker.
What better way is there to instill a submissive mentality than to get children used to a police state in Pre-K ... :dunno:

start them off young

Teachers are trained to teach. They are professional teachers. They are not professional gun handlers. They should not be carrying guns in schools. As well, guns in schools makes it a huge possibility that students will gain access to guns and injuries or fatalities will result.
If a teacher wants to carry and gets trained, why would you deny them their right to defend themselves and their students ? Are you a totalitarian?
Because accidents happen. And I know well that in a school environment with hundreds of kids milling around the halls, in and out of classrooms, up and down stairs, congregating in the cafeteria and so on...that it is not easy to control anything, much less make sure that a firearm is always secure. Too much of a possibility for a deadly accident.

Kids pull fire alarms all the time, just as a joke. They create chaos when ever they can just for fun. It is far too problematic an environment for guns to be part of the mix.

And I'll tell you something else: the vast majority of teachers and parents do not want them in schools. If I were teaching in a school that suddenly allowed teachers to carry guns, I'd quit and so would millions of others. Millions of parents would not allow the school district to implement a program that allowed teachers to carry guns. It is simply not a plausible thing to consider. Maybe in some extremely rightwing areas, but nationwide it will not fly. Schools or school districts with a program where teachers carried guns would have a hard time hiring teachers, especially experienced teachers.

Proper security is needed, with trained security personnel involved and metal detectors--not armed teachers.

Oh, WELL, accidents happen. Never mind that calculated acts of evil ALSO happen, at which point an accident can't possibly make things worse than they already are. Again, you're worrying about a pebble in your shoe while standing under an avalanche. Get some perspective.
An accident is far more likely to happen than a 'calculated act of evil.' You need to put things in perspective.

Oh? Then how come deliberate shooting deaths outnumber accidental ones?
Accidents in general outnumber deliberate acts. If you have guns in schools, the chances of gun accidents in schools will far out number the chances of deliberate gun acts. Try to use logic.

Because accidents happen. And I know well that in a school environment with hundreds of kids milling around the halls, in and out of classrooms, up and down stairs, congregating in the cafeteria and so on...that it is not easy to control anything, much less make sure that a firearm is always secure. Too much of a possibility for a deadly accident.

Kids pull fire alarms all the time, just as a joke. They create chaos when ever they can just for fun. It is far too problematic an environment for guns to be part of the mix.

And I'll tell you something else: the vast majority of teachers and parents do not want them in schools. If I were teaching in a school that suddenly allowed teachers to carry guns, I'd quit and so would millions of others. Millions of parents would not allow the school district to implement a program that allowed teachers to carry guns, It is simply not a plausible thing to consider. Maybe in some extremely rightwing areas, but nationwide it will not fly.
So genius how would you stop it?

Gun free doesn’t

Thorough security measures by professionals with only two main entrances to the school manned by professional security personnel and metal detectors. It should be as difficult to get into a school as it is to get on an airplane.

It would be paid for by the gun industry and gun owners as they are the ones causing the problem.

Okay, first of all, it already IS as difficult to get into a school as it is to get on an airplane, which is why we now have armed pilots. And as you can see, I for one am all in favor of continuing to follow that model by also having armed teachers/security guards.

Second of all, may I point out that YOU are the one insisting that everyone be kept helpless in the face of evildoers, and every single school shooting in this country has taken place under YOUR point of view, not mine, which makes YOU the one causing the problem. So if you want to point fingers, why don't you start with the idiots like yourself whose pie-in-the-sky daydreams of "gun free zones" have actually killed people? Don't even START trying on that self-righteous blame game while the blood drips off your hands.
I think probably you never enter a school and you never fly because you are completely wrong about how difficult it is to enter a school or get on a plane. The security for entering schools in America is 1) walk in and go to reception where they ask what you want and give you a pass to hang on your blouse/shirt. And that's it. Most schools have no security. And they have multiple entrances, If you don't enter by the main door that goes into the reception area, you just walk in w/o anyone paying any attention. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about: I've been teaching for 30 years.

If you don't fly, I guess you don't know the security one goes through. You must first buy a ticket, check in, show ID, and get a boarding pass. Once you check in and get your boarding pass, you go through a security process where your bag, shoes, coat, purse, etc., are removed and put through an xray machine that examines the contents. You walk through a metal detector and if the buzzer goes off, you are patted down, There have been no hijackings or bombs on planes because this search is so thorough. Getting into a school is nothing whatsoever like this.

The fact people like you want teachers to be armed just illustrates your obession with guns, as if everyone on the planet needs to carry in order to survive. The perspective is juvenile.

I can see why you fear people having guns, if they use them as carelessly and as little training as you use your brain.

As it happens, I have a school-age child (although admittedly, I don't allow him to attend public schools, because of the harmful policies of leftists like you), school-age grandchildren, and school-age grand-nieces and -nephews. So I actually spend a lot of time around schools.

The major difference that airport security has and schools don't is the very thing you're screeching against: armed security.

Everyone on the planet doesn't need to carry to survive. But someone other than criminals does, as the continuing spree killings demonstrate.
The people who are afraid, who live in fear, are the people who need guns at their side day and night. People such as yourself. There is absolutely no rational reason for a private citizen to need an automatic or semi-automatic military style assault weapon. None. The only reason you people have them is because you are psychopaths. Frightened, sick psychos.

Gun free doesn’t

Okay, first of all, it already IS as difficult to get into a school as it is to get on an airplane, which is why we now have armed pilots. And as you can see, I for one am all in favor of continuing to follow that model by also having armed teachers/security guards.

Second of all, may I point out that YOU are the one insisting that everyone be kept helpless in the face of evildoers, and every single school shooting in this country has taken place under YOUR point of view, not mine, which makes YOU the one causing the problem. So if you want to point fingers, why don't you start with the idiots like yourself whose pie-in-the-sky daydreams of "gun free zones" have actually killed people? Don't even START trying on that self-righteous blame game while the blood drips off your hands.
I think probably you never enter a school and you never fly because you are completely wrong about how difficult it is to enter a school or get on a plane. The security for entering schools in America is 1) walk in and go to reception where they ask what you want and give you a pass to hang on your blouse/shirt. And that's it. Most schools have no security. And they have multiple entrances, If you don't enter by the main door that goes into the reception area, you just walk in w/o anyone paying any attention. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about: I've been teaching for 30 years.

If you don't fly, I guess you don't know the security one goes through. You must first buy a ticket, check in, show ID, and get a boarding pass. Once you check in and get your boarding pass, you go through a security process where your bag, shoes, coat, purse, etc., are removed and put through an xray machine that examines the contents. You walk through a metal detector and if the buzzer goes off, you are patted down, There have been no hijackings or bombs on planes because this search is so thorough. Getting into a school is nothing whatsoever like this.

The fact people like you want teachers to be armed just illustrates your obession with guns, as if everyone on the planet needs to carry in order to survive. The perspective is juvenile.

I can see why you fear people having guns, if they use them as carelessly and as little training as you use your brain.

As it happens, I have a school-age child (although admittedly, I don't allow him to attend public schools, because of the harmful policies of leftists like you), school-age grandchildren, and school-age grand-nieces and -nephews. So I actually spend a lot of time around schools.

The major difference that airport security has and schools don't is the very thing you're screeching against: armed security.

Everyone on the planet doesn't need to carry to survive. But someone other than criminals does, as the continuing spree killings demonstrate.
The people who are afraid, who live in fear, are the people who need guns at their side day and night. People such as yourself. There is absolutely no rational reason for a private citizen to need an automatic or semi-automatic military style assault weapon. None. The only reason you people have them is because you are psychopaths. Frightened, sick psychos.
There is no reason to be scared of Ar15’s… LOL

.... uncharacteristically shaken after going through "shooter training" at school. She said all the female teachers were crying, a mess.

Shooter training.

"What it all boils down to, is that there's not much we can do, dad", she said. "They're going through and putting interior locks on classroom doors. Outside of that, you just have to hope the shooter doesn't find you."

I asked her about guns, and whether she supported the idea of giving teachers the option of having guns. "Hell yes," she said, and they had talked about that in training. She doesn't support it being mandatory, but definitely agreed that if some number of teachers did want to do it, it would help. She would do it.

So that was my Friday evening conversation with my daughter. They're usually a little different.

My guess is that the school will resist letting teachers arm themselves (those that actually own arms and are trained to use them) because lawyers have their heads up everyone's asses about fear of legal liability, even if they arm with the same ammo used by Marshalls aboard planes (won't go through walls) so as a result, NO ONE is willing to take action, take the initiative, or lead. If schools were smart, they would incorporate an intruder control system unknown to anyone but faculty that if a gunman enters the building, classrooms can be locked down and isolated while the intruder is restricted to a hallway, etc., long enough that he can be hit with a gas spray to immobilize or incapacitate him until authorities can arrive. It really isn't that hard if we can get the fucking lawyers out of everyone's asses.
One idea that the trainer brought up - so it must be circulating - was to have a gun in a locked safe in every classroom. The teachers shot that idea down (oops) for a variety of reasons, and I can understand that. But it seems to me that if there are a few employees willing to carry it could (could) make a difference.

It's insane that we're even having to talk about this, and it's indicative of a much larger problem.
The insanity continues

“My Child’s Pack” is Bullet Blocker’s smallest bag that is designed for young children who need a pack that is light enough to be worn safely. Made with the same lightweight, semi-flexible NIJ IIIA ballistic panel that is used in all our products, the pack is sure to keep your child safe at school and on-the-go.
BulletBlocker NIJ IIIA Bulletproof My Child's Pack
holy crap

I think a reasonable person would admit that there are pros and cons for allowing teachers to carry. Obvious pros and cons. So I wonder what other ideas we could toss out, instead of the standard personal attacks, and name calling 'n stuff.

According to the internet (so it must be true), there are about 106,000 schools of all levels in America. Let's say paying, arming and equipping two full time guards costs $300,000 per year. That would total $31,800,000,000. If I'm counting my zeroes correctly, that's $32 billion.

Or we could allow school districts to make their own decisions about individual school security and allot them $300,000 annually per school. This might include guards, special lock systems, cool tech 'n cameras, who knows, I don't know shit about this. $32 billion. $500,000 per school would be $53 billion. I do like the idea of letting school boards decide, as there would be direct, local planning & accountability for everything.

Then we get some sober, reasonable Democrat and Republican congresspeople (assuming we can find them) and lock them in a room with no shower privileges until they come out with a list of improved regulations with which they can all agree. None of them would be allowed to sprint to the teevee cameras to spew their bullshit. The ideas that come out are a group effort, and they're all responsible for them. Maybe a 10% tax on gun sales to help pay for school safety. That would contribute about $3 billion to the plan I mention above. Maybe bring our troops home from various shitholes around the world. How much would that save?

How about that for a start? I'd vote for it.

Last edited:
.... uncharacteristically shaken after going through "shooter training" at school. She said all the female teachers were crying, a mess.

Shooter training.

"What it all boils down to, is that there's not much we can do, dad", she said. "They're going through and putting interior locks on classroom doors. Outside of that, you just have to hope the shooter doesn't find you."

I asked her about guns, and whether she supported the idea of giving teachers the option of having guns. "Hell yes," she said, and they had talked about that in training. She doesn't support it being mandatory, but definitely agreed that if some number of teachers did want to do it, it would help. She would do it.

So that was my Friday evening conversation with my daughter. They're usually a little different.

My guess is that the school will resist letting teachers arm themselves (those that actually own arms and are trained to use them) because lawyers have their heads up everyone's asses about fear of legal liability, even if they arm with the same ammo used by Marshalls aboard planes (won't go through walls) so as a result, NO ONE is willing to take action, take the initiative, or lead. If schools were smart, they would incorporate an intruder control system unknown to anyone but faculty that if a gunman enters the building, classrooms can be locked down and isolated while the intruder is restricted to a hallway, etc., long enough that he can be hit with a gas spray to immobilize or incapacitate him until authorities can arrive. It really isn't that hard if we can get the fucking lawyers out of everyone's asses.

Can someone tell me how a guy who isn't responsible enough to drink a beer can buy an AR-15?

You know every other first world country is just scratching there heads at the US. Just to compare EU hasn't had a school mass murder since 2012 (4+ killed, it was 5)... And the last to die in a school shooting was April 2015 and that was one person dead (used a crossbow), so Europe is going for 3 years in a couple of months...

/——/ there is no such thing as an assault weapon. It’s a made up bs phrase meant to demonize guns

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Everyone knows what is meant by an assault weapon. To change the term now would be changing it for political reasons.

"Everyone knows" is another way of saying, "I'm spouting bullshit, and don't want to be called on it".
Now, THAT is bullshit. I know what an "assault weapon" is, but lost on a "glock." See what I mean. I think there are more people that are gun ignorant that a weapons specialist out there.

And I'm still waiting for you to fill us in on what you think an "assault weapon" is. So far, I've gotten "everyone knows" and "I know", but no demonstration of either.
An AR-15, repeating guns
/——-/ Translation: Ban all repeating weapons.

/——/ there is no such thing as an assault weapon. It’s a made up bs phrase meant to demonize guns

Everyone knows what is meant by an assault weapon. To change the term now would be changing it for political reasons.

"Everyone knows" is another way of saying, "I'm spouting bullshit, and don't want to be called on it".
Now, THAT is bullshit. I know what an "assault weapon" is, but lost on a "glock." See what I mean. I think there are more people that are gun ignorant that a weapons specialist out there.

And I'm still waiting for you to fill us in on what you think an "assault weapon" is. So far, I've gotten "everyone knows" and "I know", but no demonstration of either.
An AR-15, repeating guns

An AR is just a semi automatic rifle. It is NOT fully automatic. There are a lot of guns that are semi automatic. My father had a semi automatic .22 rifle which he used for target practice.

An automatic weapon would be an "assault rifle." One that fires a bunch of bullets with just one pull on the trigger.

AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle, and not "assault rifle" like some people might think. Information about these weapons is readily available at your fingertips.

An AR-15, repeating guns

An AR is just a semi automatic rifle. It is NOT fully automatic. There are a lot of guns that are semi automatic. My father had a semi automatic .22 rifle which he used for target practice.

An automatic weapon would be an "assault rifle." One that fires a bunch of bullets with just one pull on the trigger.

AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle, and not "assault rifle" like some people might think. Information about these weapons is readily available at your fingertips.
/——/ Assault Rifle is easier to demonize than ArmaLite. Libs love to change names for political purposes.

Last edited:

An AR-15, repeating guns

So basically, it's an epithet for anything more technologically advanced than a muzzle-loading musket. Got it.

Lotsa luck convincing the rest of America to succumb to your gun paranoia.

I think a reasonable person would admit that there are pros and cons for allowing teachers to carry. Obvious pros and cons. So I wonder what other ideas we could toss out, instead of the standard personal attacks, and name calling 'n stuff.

According to the internet (so it must be true), there are about 106,000 schools of all levels in America. Let's say paying, arming and equipping two full time guards costs $300,000 per year. That would total $31,800,000,000. If I'm counting my zeroes correctly, that's $32 billion.

Or we could allow school districts to make their own decisions about individual school security and allot them $300,000 annually per school. This might include guards, special lock systems, cool tech 'n cameras, who knows, I don't know shit about this. $32 billion. $500,000 per school would be $53 billion. I do like the idea of letting school boards decide, as there would be direct, local planning & accountability for everything.

Then we get some sober, reasonable Democrat and Republican congresspeople (assuming we can find them) and lock them in a room with no shower privileges until they come out with a list of improved regulations with which they can all agree. None of them would be allowed to sprint to the teevee cameras to spew their bullshit. The ideas that come out are a group effort, and they're all responsible for them. Maybe a 10% tax on gun sales to help pay for school safety. That would contribute about $3 billion to the plan I mention above. Maybe bring our troops home from various shitholes around the world. How much would that save?

How about that for a start? I'd vote for it.
what does it matter if people can't do their jobs. If the FBI had been competent, this shooting would never have happened. So we're talking 32 billion dollars for a fk up at our highest protection agency in the nation. NICE!!!! How about someone loses their fking job at the FBI and charges filed by the families against the FBI. No one held accountable corrects fking nothing. WTF is wrong with the left?

If a teacher wants to carry and gets trained, why would you deny them their right to defend themselves and their students ? Are you a totalitarian?

And I'll tell you something else: the vast majority of teachers and parents do not want them in schools. If I were teaching in a school that suddenly allowed teachers to carry guns, I'd quit and so would millions of others. Millions of parents would not allow the school district to implement a program that allowed teachers to carry guns. It is simply not a plausible thing to consider. Maybe in some extremely rightwing areas, but nationwide it will not fly. Schools or school districts with a program where teachers carried guns would have a hard time hiring teachers, especially experienced teachers.

Proper security is needed, with trained security personnel involved and metal detectors--not armed teachers.

Oh, WELL, accidents happen. Never mind that calculated acts of evil ALSO happen, at which point an accident can't possibly make things worse than they already are. Again, you're worrying about a pebble in your shoe while standing under an avalanche. Get some perspective.
An accident is far more likely to happen than a 'calculated act of evil.' You need to put things in perspective.

Oh? Then how come deliberate shooting deaths outnumber accidental ones?
Accidents in general outnumber deliberate acts. If you have guns in schools, the chances of gun accidents in schools will far out number the chances of deliberate gun acts. Try to use logic.

We are not talking about "accidents in general", any more than we are talking about "homicides in general", so feel free to stop trying to slip this bullshit goalpost-shifting past me.

And don't even TRY, "I think this is logical, therefore you must accept it as given fact" on me, because I wouldn't accept YOUR judgement on whether or not water is wet, let alone this. The ACTUAL logic, as in the one shown by facts and acknowledged by people who aren't you and therefore have more than a teaspoonful of brain cells, is that millions of Americans own guns, many of them more than one, and yet accidental shootings are very rare.

I realize this is a hard concept to wrap your brain around, given that you're a leftist halfwit who doesn't trust him/herself with anything more dangerous than safety scissors (nor do I think you should), but most adults, and certainly most adults who already hold responsible positions - such as teachers - can be trusted to respect potentially dangerous objects and observe proper safety measures.

Just because YOU would most likely be a hazard to those around you does not mean we need to make public policy for everyone based on the assumption that we're all that fucking stupid.

Gun free doesn’t

Well, let's examine this, shall we? If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that people who own guns do so because they were afraid for their safety. You are probably correct, as far as that goes. But the point you're missing is that they were afraid for their safety because, prior to purchasing a gun, THEY WERE LIVING LIFE THE WAY YOU INSIST EVERYONE SHOULD DO.

Furthermore, you clearly believe they were correct in being fearful for their safety, since you yourself are suggesting that schools be turned into mini-prisons, so either you are lying about those without guns not being afraid, OR you are too pig-stupid to recognize fear when you're oozing it from every pore.

Under those circumstances, I and many others like me would consider that very fear to be a very rational reason to require guns, although as the stupidest person it has been my misfortune to speak to this week, you are the only one suggesting "automatic" or "military-style" weapons. As for psychopaths, I think that title is better reserved for the person who is so afraid of herself and her own inability to be trusted with dangerous objects that she can't comprehend the notion of self-defense.

Now that I have wended my way through the tangled pretzel of your psychoses, seek help and stop trying to turn your autophobia into public policy.

Last edited:

Shooter training.

Can someone tell me how a guy who isn't responsible enough to drink a beer can buy an AR-15?

You know every other first world country is just scratching there heads at the US. Just to compare EU hasn't had a school mass murder since 2012 (4+ killed, it was 5)... And the last to die in a school shooting was April 2015 and that was one person dead (used a crossbow), so Europe is going for 3 years in a couple of months...

Are you trying to tell us YOU were allowed to buy an AR-15?

Forum List

Back