NLRB: College athletes can unionize

CHICAGO — In a stunning ruling that has the potential to revolutionize college athletics, a federal agency said Wednesday that football players at Northwestern University can create the nation's first college athlete's union.

Read more: NLRB: College athletes can unionize - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

Thoughts?

Mine: Its about dam time
Amen! Those kids generate billions for their colleges and universities. Not to mention the video game industry, merchandising and promotions.

The 'scandal' at my alma mater, The Ohio State University, shows how far the exploitation of student athletes has gone.

CHICAGO — In a stunning ruling that has the potential to revolutionize college athletics, a federal agency said Wednesday that football players at Northwestern University can create the nation's first college athlete's union.

Read more: NLRB: College athletes can unionize - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that it's absurd that it's up to government to decide if they get to unionize or not and then for government to decide what the power of the union is. Government should have no say in the matter.

Once you pay them a salary, they lose their amateur status.

Once they lose their amateur status, they are no longer able to compete at the NCAA level.

The NCAA will hold their position, and students will have to decide if they wish to play or not.

Once they lose their amateur status, they are no longer able to compete at the NCAA level.

The NCAA will hold their position, and students will have to decide if they wish to play or not.

Most of the kids are fortunate to be able to play football for a free ride and a college degree with no debt.

The NCAA has outlived its usefulness and should be scraped. Along with the BCS.

Thoughts?

What's the point?

They don't get paid and who is going to pony up the dues?

The way i see it these people have nothing to complain about they get to play football get scholarships get pampered and they're whining about it.

Most of the kids are fortunate to be able to play football for a free ride and a college degree with no debt.

After a period of time, my son deemed the commitment to division 1 athletics was not worth the sacrifice of the college experience...and he released the scholarship.

Personal choices. No one is forcing ANY of them to play.

If they help generate the money, why shouldn't they get a portion of it.

If they help generate the money, why shouldn't they get a portion of it.

They get a portion of it through the use of top notch equipment a full time team doctor, trainers gyms therapy coaches who improve their skills etc for no cost and let's not forget a paid education.

Forum List

Back