‘No one in the US should be retiring at 65’: Ben Shapiro said Social Security was not designed to provide retirement benefits for 20+ years

But your award was reduced to take into account the early retirement--to the tune of 1/2 of a percent per month that you retired early. So if you retired on your 63rd birthday, you received 12% less in benefits.
Maybe so, but the early benefits were invested in retiring the mortgage on my apartment building and have since also been invested. They have also greatly increased as I still work and pay into SS. I get annual increases from cost-of-living increases and from increases in my wages. On the downside my benefit is taxed as my income exceeds the minimums.

Most people retire because they are forced to, or just don't really like their jobs, or are just tired of working period. Many love their jobs and prolong retirement, and some never retire. Most all however are decided by whether they can afford to retire.
Not so with those with government jobs, but many of the people I know who retired early were forced out by poor treatment as they approached age 60. Some had their positions “made redundant” by a reorganization and terminated.

Companies don’t like 60-year-olds on the payroll. They have maxed out at a high earnings level, and cost a lot in health care. If the SS age is raised, there will have to be more government protection against ageism in the work force.

I have only been unemployed for one month since I was 12 years old. (I had a paper route)
Working now for 47 years. I have 5 more to go, meaning I will have worked 52 years.
That is long enough.

I punched out at 61
Havent looked back

I liked my work but enjoy not working better

In the USA for a man, the average life expectancy is 76 years old.... I don't know where Shapiro is getting 85, 20 years past 65, as the years the average person on SS lives to???

The average life expectancy for a black male is 67 is what I just read? Wow, they get shorted on SS benefits!!!
Not to mention, that the majority - vast majority - of 70 year olds cannot work nearly as hard as other employees. Not even close. Remotely close.
No employer is interested in hiring, full time, a 72 year old who walks with a cane.

Like it or not, he's right.
It obviously is a huge political football, but going forward this country will be forced to make adjustments to the age for full benefits.
Right now, I would change it from 67 to 69, and every three years going forward, I would increase it by one year until the age of 75. Then, reevaluate every two years and make adjustments if necessary.

‘No one in the US should be retiring at 65’: Ben Shapiro said Social Security was not designed to provide retirement benefits for 20+ years — and those who expect that are ‘crazy’​

uh? Many paid into it for 50 years. Can they get 10 years back?

Like it or not, he's right.
It obviously is a huge political football, but going forward this country will be forced to make adjustments to the age for full benefits.
Right now, I would change it from 67 to 69, and every three years going forward, I would increase it by one year until the age of 75. Then, reevaluate every two years and make adjustments if necessary.

‘No one in the US should be retiring at 65’: Ben Shapiro said Social Security was not designed to provide retirement benefits for 20+ years — and those who expect that are ‘crazy’​

That program might suit Ben Shapiro who earns a living sitting on his ass, maybe you do too.
I want to see you and Ben be first in line to use a surgeon past the age of 75. The same goes for your airline pilot. How about telling the 75-year-old soldier to "take that hill grunt".
How many of us can continue to work digging ditches or driving long-haul over-the-road rigs?
There are better options available.

I punched out at 61
Havent looked back

I liked my work but enjoy not working better
Originally I thought I would punch out at 62. But with the egregiously high cost of healthcare insurance, that is not possible. If it wasn't for that, we could retire at 62 with no problem.
With Health insurance for 2 people costing around $1,700/mo... it would eat into our savings rapidly.

If you want to retire at 65, that is your business and your right. The promise of Social Security and retiring has been there long before Ben Shapiro's father was a little wiggly sperm swimming around looking for a home. :)
If you've paid into it your whole life (let's say 40 working years), then it is your right to be able to pull that money back out for the remainder of your existence on this planet.

1) Remove the wage base limit.
2) Reinstate the tax on earners above $400K (has that been done yet?)

You'd solve 75% of your financing problems right there.

dumb OX. You just make it another Tax and welfare benefit rather than a self funding savings plan.

If the Bedenistas get their way and open social security and disability benefits to illegal aliens (are they doing it now?), American citizens can kiss away whatever meager federal money they expected in their advanced age.
Anyone who pays in to social security for 10 years minimum, is eligible for retirement....

I believe it's always been that way?

They bumped Canadas retirement rate way up to 71.

I accept this as our life expectancy is far higher today than when this was first determined.

In the end though, unless Canada has a free economy and accountability for our Police State, none of this matters.
Life expectancy is much different than being able to do your job until 70 if its not Office, mgt, or such I can see.....lot of the others not so much

I would gradually phase in retirement from 67 up to 70
If you are 55 or above no change
Everyone else gets 6 months extra for every 5 years under 55
It won't be long before it is raised to 67, I certainly see this coming in the near future, but I don't think any of us posting here will be alive when it is raised to 70.

If there is any chance of insolvency, then rich assholes can pay into it for another $80,000 or so of their earnings.

Let's see Republicans raise that bar.

Forum List

Back