NO "Popular Vote" if states choose to have the Legislature Vote for Federal Offices

Do you support state legislatures taking Federal elections instead of popular vote?

• Yes, Federal elections would be honest, fair and transparent.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, the popular vote is better, I'll explain why.

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
The courts overturned that law as unconstitutional, just as they always will!
I hope they keep overturning, but then there's "amnesty".

I hope they keep overturning, but then there's "amnesty".

The 14th Amendment guarantees it.

The 14th Amendment guarantees it.
I don't read the 14th as saying that the state's electors need to be by popular vote.
Just that if any voting age males are denied their right to vote, the state's congressional representation will be reduced proportionally.

Here's the 14th Amendment' section-2

Section 2​

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Our state legislators voting for Federal officials would be honest, since their votes would be a voice vote.
NO!

Becoming a State legislator is NOT "honest" in many states due to gerrymandering and they DO NOT represent their actual citizens proportionately.

One man/woman, one vote!

When you can't prove your LIE you put on your tap dancing shoes and look stupid.

Actually Biden already let in close to 5,000,000 migrants, plus "got aways".

View attachment 715544 ADD UP 2021 and 2022
Encounters DOES NOT mean the illegal is let in.

In 2022 fiscal year, 2.1million were ENCOUNTERED, but 1.3 million of the encountered were deported immediately, and returned to their nation and NOT LET IN.

800,000 were allowed to seek asylum with a Court date, Judge to determine... And over half of those seeking, will not be accepted by the immigration judge, and they too will be sent back to their nation.

You will have the same problem that those clamoring for the US to declare itself a Christian nation.

It requires a constitutional amendment. The people will not vote to have their voice removed.
Depends on state Constitution only until 1830 half the states did not have popular vote for President state legislature decided.

I don't read the 14th as saying that the state's electors need to be by popular vote.
Just that if any voting age males are denied their right to vote, the state's congressional representation will be reduced proportionally.

Here's the 14th Amendment' section-2

Section 2​

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.
Equal protection clause.

We have the popular vote now, and the results are ALWAYS disputed.

If a state decides to decide their EC votes by the legislature, that would be a calming decision. I support it.
So take power away from people and give it to political elites?

How generous.

This argument is similar to that of authoritarians, such as Putin, who claim that democratic rule is too chaotic and that undemocratic authoritarians provide necessary stability. I reject it.

the States can return to electing presidents via the legislature it is in allowed. And if the 17th is repelled, they can elect senators that way too,
Is it allowed? When they never had the right?

They had the right to vote for or pick, the Electors, never the right to vote for the president.

And when all citizens got the right to vote, it changed in each state, to the citizens voting for and picking the electors. In their state constitutions on most if not all.

The state legislatures would never ever ever, be allowed by their citizens, to take their citizen's right to vote away from them.

Forum List

Back