NO "Popular Vote" if states choose to have the Legislature Vote for Federal Offices

Do you support state legislatures taking Federal elections instead of popular vote?

• Yes, Federal elections would be honest, fair and transparent.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, the popular vote is better, I'll explain why.

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
Giving power back to the people, and taking it away from the billionaire oligarchs.
State legislators are not "political elites".
It would make local elections crucial, and make electing a president bulletproof from voter fraud.
Taking away our ability to vote for president does not give power back to the people. It gives power to the handful of state legislators who are indeed political elites.

Michigan has 150 legislators for a population of 10 million. That's a political elite by any standard.

I don't get it so I am not voting or responding
I'm no dummy so if you could just ..maybe explicate further, I may be able to add my 2 cents worth
1. Now we have a popular vote "by state" for presidents. Each state certifies who won the election in their state and those EC votes get tallied up and a president declared.

2. Instead of people voting directly for a president, the state legislators can vote for that state's Electoral College votes. It eliminates mail-in ballots, voter fraud, lawsuits, suspicion, 3am ballot dumps, annoying commercials, annoying phone calls, and $billion of "Zuckerbucks" being wasted on elections by pols selling their offices for campaign donations.
The state legislators get paid to vote. Let them earn their pay.

Taking away our ability to vote for president does not give power back to the people. It gives power to the handful of state legislators who are indeed political elites.
Michigan has 150 legislators for a population of 10 million. That's a political elite by any standard.
So how many migrants got dumped off in MI?
You'd rather have migrants and Detroit voters make that decision?
I'd pick state legislators any day.

So how many migrants got dumped off in MI?
You'd rather have migrants and Detroit voters make that decision?
I'd pick state legislators any day.
Are Detroit voters inferior to other voters or something? They're voters. They are a part of the people you claim that should have the power.

1. Now we have a popular vote "by state" for presidents. Each state certifies who won the election in their state and those EC votes get tallied up and a president declared.

2. Instead of people voting directly for a president, the state legislators can vote for that state's Electoral College votes. It eliminates mail-in ballots, voter fraud, lawsuits, suspicion, 3am ballot dumps, annoying commercials, annoying phone calls, and $billion of "Zuckerbucks" being wasted on elections by pols selling their offices for campaign donations.
The state legislators get paid to vote. Let them earn their pay.
That sounds like a great idea except for this one thing that comes to mind:

who verifies that the state legislators have not cheated?

It would need to be a voice/recorded vote like in the Senate.
Every legislator's vote would be public.
No cheating, no voter fraud, no whining, no commercials.

This is all just a plant to maintain Republican power despite being lacking public support. States have gerrymandered their districts to the point that a state like Wisconsin has majority Democratic voters but their legislatures nearly have a Republican supermajority.

This would also go a long way to put the focus on local elections.
One of the big reasons that state legislatures didn't want to decide the electoral college is that their elections became focused on presidential races rather than focusing on local issues.

This is a bad idea with an ulterior motive.

The electorate voted in the legislators that changed the law, presumptively knowing the would do so.
Unless the SC overturns the long standing precedent, the "Legislature" in that part of the Constitution means "any entity or procedure that a state’s constitution permits to exercise lawmaking power. "

Unless the SC overturns the long standing precedent, the "Legislature" in that part of the Constitution means "any entity or procedure that a state’s constitution permits to exercise lawmaking power. "
Only legislatures make law, so...

The point remains - the electorate put the legislature that changed the election law in office knowing they would do so; as such, it doesn't seem likely the electorate will be too upset.

Only legislatures make law, so...

The point remains - the electorate put the legislature that changed the election law in office knowing they would do so; as such, it doesn't seem likely the electorate will be too upset.
Signed by the Governor and reviewed by the courts.

In which state did any candidate run on the platform or policy of taking away the right to vote in federal election from the people of that state?

Signed by the Governor and reviewed by the courts.
In which state did any candidate run on the platform or policy of taking away the right to vote in federal election from the people of that state?
Its coming. As long as the dems have their migrant voters, mass mail-ins, and 3am ballot dump scams.

Forum List

Back