Non Cliquity Clack Club

I have an asparagus bed, and the newer plants produce skinnier asparagus, so I use them in salads. They taste great.

I like almost all vegetables. I like: Arugula, Artichoke, Asparagus , Eggplant, Bamboo Shoot, Broad Bean, Green Bean, Runner Bean, Beetroot, Black-eyed pea (all legumes), Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots Cauliflower, Chickpea, Celery, Corn, Zucchini, Cucumber, Ginger, Endive, Garlic, Parsley, Kale, Lettuce, Leeks, Lentils, Winter and Summer squash, Bean Sprouts, Onions, Peas, Pepper, Potato (white and sweet), Pumpkin, Radish, Snow Pea, Soybean, Spinach, Tomato, Watercress, Water Chestnut, Yam. There may be others, but these for sure. Oh, and Carrot Cake. That’s a vegetable, right? 

I prefer most of my veggies raw vs cooked with a few notable exceptions like potatoes. Not a big fan of peppers. Broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage cooked actually make me gag for some reason but I really enjoy cole slaw and raw broccoli is fine so go figure. :dunno:

You left out horse chestnuts and mushrooms. I love horse chestnuts in Chinese stir fried vegetable dishes. Grilled Portabella mushrooms with garlic and cheddar cheese are awesome.

article-1312705-0B30736D000005DC-107_233x311.jpg

You should try fried cabbage....with thin slice of onion....so good.

Not a cabbage lover. I can tolerate it in small doses..like in spring rolls, but no more than one roll. Hubby LOVES cabbage. Eww. He also loves anchovies. Eww again.

I prefer most of my veggies raw vs cooked with a few notable exceptions like potatoes. Not a big fan of peppers. Broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage cooked actually make me gag for some reason but I really enjoy cole slaw and raw broccoli is fine so go figure. :dunno:

You left out horse chestnuts and mushrooms. I love horse chestnuts in Chinese stir fried vegetable dishes. Grilled Portabella mushrooms with garlic and cheddar cheese are awesome.

article-1312705-0B30736D000005DC-107_233x311.jpg

Mushrooms! I absolutely loath mushrooms. It is the one vegetable I definitely won't go near. :mad: You know what they grow them in, right?

Yup! :)

Like the old joke about employees being mushrooms. They are kept in the dark and occasionally have shit thrown at them. :badgrin:

But it is only fertilizer which is really no different to that used to grow other vegetables. The nutrients in the soil are converted by the plants into all of those veggies that you listed above. We used to go and collect bags of the stuff and dig it into the beds before every planting season.

But I do understand your revulsion. I suffer from the same when it comes to the items I listed above. Over cooked carrots are the same. By that stage they have lost 90% of whatever goodness they contained and are just a nasty taste as far as I am concerned. But I will happily chomp on raw carrots all day long even if they are grown in the same fertilizer that is used for the mushrooms. :D

I use manure in my vegetable garden...buy it in bags, it might smell when you first throw it in the bed, but after you till it into the soil, you can't smell it anymore. Obviously whatever they grow mushrooms in cannot hurt you or we wouldn't be able to eat them. Fecal matter is toxic and would kill a person....just a little can create e-coli....so, I don't even worry about what mushrooms are grown in. I love stuffed portabella mushrooms, and I always use mushrooms in my sphagetti sauce.

Chris Harrelson, the Food Defense Coordinator for the State of North Carolina, said foods grown in an field known to have had human feces contamination could not be sold on the market.
"We would not allow that product to be prepared or sold. We would ask a restaurant to voluntarily dispose of the product. If the owner refused to throw it away, we would embargo it."
So human waste is that dangerous? Yes, Harrelson said. "Human feces are assumed to have a certain amount of pathogenic organisms; bacteria and virus."

Human feces

Mushrooms! I absolutely loath mushrooms. It is the one vegetable I definitely won't go near. :mad: You know what they grow them in, right?

Like the old joke about employees being mushrooms. They are kept in the dark and occasionally have shit thrown at them. :badgrin:

But it is only fertilizer which is really no different to that used to grow other vegetables. The nutrients in the soil are converted by the plants into all of those veggies that you listed above. We used to go and collect bags of the stuff and dig it into the beds before every planting season.

But I do understand your revulsion. I suffer from the same when it comes to the items I listed above. Over cooked carrots are the same. By that stage they have lost 90% of whatever goodness they contained and are just a nasty taste as far as I am concerned. But I will happily chomp on raw carrots all day long even if they are grown in the same fertilizer that is used for the mushrooms. :D

I use manure in my vegetable garden...buy it in bags, it might smell when you first throw it in the bed, but after you till it into the soil, you can't smell it anymore. Obviously whatever they grow mushrooms in cannot hurt you or we wouldn't be able to eat them. Fecal matter is toxic and would kill a person....just a little can create e-coli....so, I don't even worry about what mushrooms are grown in. I love stuffed portabella mushrooms, and I always use mushrooms in my sphagetti sauce.

Chris Harrelson, the Food Defense Coordinator for the State of North Carolina, said foods grown in an field known to have had human feces contamination could not be sold on the market.
"We would not allow that product to be prepared or sold. We would ask a restaurant to voluntarily dispose of the product. If the owner refused to throw it away, we would embargo it."
So human waste is that dangerous? Yes, Harrelson said. "Human feces are assumed to have a certain amount of pathogenic organisms; bacteria and virus."

Human feces

It may be only fertilizer as we use our in my gardens. I understand that. I used to do a lot of vegetable gardening and used steer manure, packed and sterilized. However, the point that no one seems to accept is that when we use manure in our gardening or when farmers use it to grow vegetables, the ratio of manure to soil is small. In growing mushrooms, the ratio of manure to soil is large, a very high percentage. More than 50%.

Anyway, my hatred of mushrooms is not just about how they are grown, though I do have first hand knowledge of that. As far as the foods I consume go, I am about texture as much as anything else. For example, though I like most vegetables, I won't eat okra because it is, imo, slimy. To me, mushrooms have a horrible texture, including being slimy. They have a horrible appearance, horrible smell, and horrible texture. IMO. For me. You can like them. I reserve the right to loath them. I am sure there are foods other people don't like. I have no problem with what you don't like. The fact is I didn't eat mushrooms before I spent time on a mushroom farm picking mushrooms. I never liked them my whole life. I'm entitled to dislike certain foods just as much as anyone is. But, the other fact is that they are, essentially, grown in shit.

Last edited:

Human feces

It may be only fertilizer as we use our in my gardens. I understand that. I used to do a lot of vegetable gardening and used steer manure, packed and sterilized. However, the point that no one seems to accept is that when we use manure in our gardening or when farmers use it to grow vegetables, the ratio of manure to soil is small. In growing mushrooms, the ratio of manure to soil is large, a very high percentage. More than 50%.
Okay, but even at that, we know it is not harmful for human consumption, and evidently they have been cleansed/washed disinfected before we get them. Their nutrional value is also one not to be dismissed. My point is, that the method that they are grown should not be the reason for anyone to decide against them.

Mushrooms are low in calories, high in fiber, and contain many important vitamins and minerals. Some also have medicinal properties such as complex carbohydrates that strengthen the immune system.
Let's look at mushroom nutrition in a little more depth. The first half of this page lists dietary benefits, and the second half tells you how you can best take advantage of them. More mushrooms in your diet are not only tasty; they're good for you!

The Nutritional Value of Mushrooms

Anyway, my hatred of mushrooms is not just about how they are grown, though I do have first hand knowledge of that. As far as the foods I consume go, I am about texture as much as anything else. For example, though I like most vegetables, I won't eat okra because it is, imo, slimy. To me, mushrooms have a horrible texture, including being slimy. They have a horrible appearance, horrible smell, and horrible texture. IMO. For me. You can like them. I reserve the right to loath them. I am sure there are foods other people don't like. I have no problem with what you don't like. The fact is I didn't eat mushrooms before I spent time on a mushroom farm picking mushrooms. I never liked them my whole life. I'm entitled to dislike certain foods just as much as anyone is. But, the other fact is that they are, essentially, grown in shit.

I understand, my husband doesn't like mushrooms either and carefully picks them out of the sphagetti sauce. I have bought some to stuff and he won't touch them....but he like you, doesn't like the texture. But it does seem that the method that they are grown is a big factor in your dislike....:)

I love mushrooms (cooked though)

I eat loads of Greens. I have a vitamix so I put a pile of Kale, 1 beet, 2 carrots, 2 hand fulls of spinach (all veggies are organic), 5 oz's water, ice and 40 grams of Warrior Blend protein powder into the blender. I'll mix all the veggies first because they fill up the entire blender, then add protein and ice to finish up the smoothie. I do it everyday. I 'll also eat veggies at lunch and dinner.

Vitamix is awesome by the way. Best blender I've ever owned.

I don't eat enough veggies to get all the vitamins I need, so I drink that Ensure stuff. Everything you need is in one little chocolate mix bottle.

I just like plain ol pasturized milk. With chocolate in it. ;)

I'll only drink Raw Milk...too bad it's illegal to sell (how nuts is that)

Milk is terrible for you Gracie. There's puss, blood, feces and bacteria in it. Thats why they NEED to pasteurize it.

Raw dairy farmers have pristine milking facilities because they HAVE to otherwise people would get sick. Regular dairy farmers however don't need to worry about all the crap (literally) in their milk. Pasteurizing it will cook it off. No thanks!

I could go on for hours about how our food is literally killing us and how it is the cause of most diseases and ailments

I know, CK. Which is why I refuse to eat anything with wheat. That gluten does a number on yer guts. And wheat from 2000 years ago is not the same wheat as today.

Poison is used on everything, winds up IN the product, then goes IN our bodies. I eat daily about the same amount a 4 year old would. I have to get my vitamins from Ensure because vitamin pills are so big I can't swallow them.

I know, CK. Which is why I refuse to eat anything with wheat. That gluten does a number on yer guts. And wheat from 2000 years ago is not the same wheat as today.

Poison is used on everything, winds up IN the product, then goes IN our bodies. I eat daily about the same amount a 4 year old would. I have to get my vitamins from Ensure because vitamin pills are so big I can't swallow them.

I've been gluten free for 1.5 years now :)

Milk is terrible for you Gracie. There's puss, blood, feces and bacteria in it. Thats why they NEED to pasteurize it.

Raw dairy farmers have pristine milking facilities because they HAVE to otherwise people would get sick. Regular dairy farmers however don't need to worry about all the crap (literally) in their milk. Pasteurizing it will cook it off. No thanks!

I could go on for hours about how our food is literally killing us and how it is the cause of most diseases and ailments

Many years ago I drank raw milk from a health food store. I ended up in the hospital with food poisoning. Never again.

I've been gluten free for 1.5 years now :)

Are you celiac or do you have a gluten intolerance?

Been 100% gluten free for 12 years now. Since I am a diagnosed celiac I have to admit that it has made a positive difference sticking strictly to the diet. And a lot easier since there are so many foods out there and better labeling too.

I don't eat enough veggies to get all the vitamins I need, so I drink that Ensure stuff. Everything you need is in one little chocolate mix bottle.

I don't eat enough vegetables either, and I work out hard 4 days a week. While the Ensure is good for nutrients, I have taken the supplement in this link for over 5 years now, and it is great for energy and the immune system. I have not had a cold or flu for a long time.

Taxus Immune (Wild Yew Complex) 90 VCaps

They are probably horse pills. I like my Ensure just fine, thanky. :lol:

Meanwhile...are the Santa Anas having a field day with blowing dust in your area? Windchimes are sideways here and I had to unfurl the umbrellas. I also have a doozy of a sinus headache from all the debris and pollen being blown around.

We are what we eat.

It's that simple.

Forum List

Back