Non Cliquity Clack Club

I know, CK. Which is why I refuse to eat anything with wheat. That gluten does a number on yer guts. And wheat from 2000 years ago is not the same wheat as today.

Poison is used on everything, winds up IN the product, then goes IN our bodies. I eat daily about the same amount a 4 year old would. I have to get my vitamins from Ensure because vitamin pills are so big I can't swallow them.

I've been gluten free for 1.5 years now :)

Are you celiac or do you have a gluten intolerance?

Been 100% gluten free for 12 years now. Since I am a diagnosed celiac I have to admit that it has made a positive difference sticking strictly to the diet. And a lot easier since there are so many foods out there and better labeling too.

I am wondering why anyone would go gluten free unless they had some kind of allergy to wheat. Do people really consider wheat to be so detrimental to their health? If I could remind people of this: the Mediterranean diet is considered to be the healthiest in the world due to lack of health problems among the people who live there and the general longevity of life. I've spent a lot of time in that region including living in Turkey for 2 years in the region of the Mediterranean and Aegean seas. They smoke a lot in Turkey, so that's a problem, but they have a very healthy, Mediterranean diet. However, their bread is white bread, similar to French and Italian bread. In fact, the Italians and French eat a lot of wheat and also are very healthy and have long life spans, longer than Americans. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't go gluten free if they want to, but the idea it is some sort of superior lifestyle is something I disagree with. The Mediterranean diet is high in carbs, including wheat, and also lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. It is low in animal fat.

Anyway, wondering what the philosophy is for going gluten free unless you have an allergy to it. :) This is a friendly question, not argumentative.

Last edited:
Gracie is to pitch a tent
In her garden quite content
A living room it supplements
Nature's fragrance lovely scents

I know, CK. Which is why I refuse to eat anything with wheat. That gluten does a number on yer guts. And wheat from 2000 years ago is not the same wheat as today.

Poison is used on everything, winds up IN the product, then goes IN our bodies. I eat daily about the same amount a 4 year old would. I have to get my vitamins from Ensure because vitamin pills are so big I can't swallow them.

Been 100% gluten free for 12 years now. Since I am a diagnosed celiac I have to admit that it has made a positive difference sticking strictly to the diet. And a lot easier since there are so many foods out there and better labeling too.
Intolerance. My joints ached (knees, elbows) and I thought it was from working out hard. So I decided to do an experiment and give it a shot. I stuck to it for 6 weeks, exercised at the same intensity (didn't change exercise program at all) and the aches went away. Won't go back to eating it ever again.

I like to operate at 100% at all times so I'm really aware of what I put into my body

I am wondering why anyone would go gluten free unless they had some kind of allergy to wheat. Do people really consider wheat to be so detrimental to their health? If I could remind people of this: the Mediterranean diet is considered to be the healthiest in the world due to lack of health problems among the people who live there and the general longevity of life. I've spent a lot of time in that region including living in Turkey for 2 years in the region of the Mediterranean and Aegean seas. They smoke a lot in Turkey, so that's a problem, but they have a very healthy, Mediterranean diet. However, their bread is white bread, similar to French and Italian bread. In fact, the Italians and French eat a lot of wheat and also are very healthy and have long life spans, longer than Americans. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't go gluten free if they want to, but the idea it is some sort of superior lifestyle is something I disagree with. The Mediterranean diet is high in carbs, including wheat, and also lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. It is low in animal fat.

Anyway, wondering what the philosophy is for going gluten free unless you have an allergy to it. :) This is a friendly question, not argumentative.
Wheat in Europe is different than here...

There's a reason gluten is gaining attention here in the states

who are we supposed to believe?

According to Dr. William Davis, a Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based preventive cardiologist, wheat has “drug like” toxic effects on our body. In fact, many health experts agree that wheat allergies are the source of many people’s health problems – they just don’t know it. And, to make matter worse, getting off these products can have drug-like (negative) side effects.

“Modern” (dwarf) wheat, which through genetic manipulation and hybridization is designed to put food on the plates of millions of starving people – is a chemical solution that has put nature and chemical processing on a colliding course. This monster food creation has too much gluten for the human body and has contributed to everything from obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia, depression and much more.

How wheat is slowly killing millions of people | Natural Health 365

Food Navigator is referring to a review of research on whole wheat and health just published in the Journal of Cereal Science of all places. The authors conclude that unless you have celiac disease or wheat allergies, eating whole-wheat foods is good for you.

In fact, foods containing whole-wheat, which have been prepared in customary ways (such as baked or extruded), and eaten in recommended amounts, have been associated with significant reductions in risks for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and a more favourable long term weight management.

Food Politics » Is wheat bad for you? Not for most people.

According to Dr. William Davis, a Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based preventive cardiologist, wheat has “drug like” toxic effects on our body. In fact, many health experts agree that wheat allergies are the source of many people’s health problems – they just don’t know it. And, to make matter worse, getting off these products can have drug-like (negative) side effects.

“Modern” (dwarf) wheat, which through genetic manipulation and hybridization is designed to put food on the plates of millions of starving people – is a chemical solution that has put nature and chemical processing on a colliding course. This monster food creation has too much gluten for the human body and has contributed to everything from obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia, depression and much more.

Food Navigator is referring to a review of research on whole wheat and health just published in the Journal of Cereal Science of all places. The authors conclude that unless you have celiac disease or wheat allergies, eating whole-wheat foods is good for you.

In fact, foods containing whole-wheat, which have been prepared in customary ways (such as baked or extruded), and eaten in recommended amounts, have been associated with significant reductions in risks for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and a more favourable long term weight management.

Yes, two sides to the story. Well, I believe in the EU they do not do genetic manipulation of plants and animals they eat, so as CK says, maybe wheat is different there. I have read that the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest in the world, and it is bread based. Usually white bread-Greek, Italian, Spanish, French, Turkish bread are usually white. Germany and Austria have a lot of whole grain bread, and mostly rye based instead of wheat based. But the people in the Med area live longer than in most other cultures. The food is heavily fruit, veggie, and fish based. Plus olives and garlic are a big part of it too. And yogurt. Anyway, maybe the wheat there is healtier than in the US.

Yes, two sides to the story. Well, I believe in the EU they do not do genetic manipulation of plants and animals they eat, so as CK says, maybe wheat is different there. I have read that the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest in the world, and it is bread based. Usually white bread-Greek, Italian, Spanish, French, Turkish bread are usually white. Germany and Austria have a lot of whole grain bread, and mostly rye based instead of wheat based. But the people in the Med area live longer than in most other cultures. The food is heavily fruit, veggie, and fish based. Plus olives and garlic are a big part of it too. And yogurt. Anyway, maybe the wheat there is healtier than in the US.

I believe you....some of the stuff I have read about crossbreeding wheat to make it hardier makes me leery of it. Fortunately for me, I don't eat a lot of bread. We hardly ever have bread with our meal, unless we go out and they serve it. We do have a sandwich from time to time, but I don't think we ingest enough of it to make it dangerous.

The EU doesn't even want our wheat imported. They have banned (or working to ban) it's import. That says a lot--well to me at least :dunno:

The EU doesn't even want our wheat imported. They have banned (or working to ban) it's import. That says a lot--well to me at least :dunno:

Yes, you are correct.

It is called Vollkornbrot or Mehrkornbrot. And it is delicious.

Plus, Europeans are trying their damndest to stop the advance of gen technique, and I agree with them. When you see the dirty, shitty tricks that Monsanto and Cargill are playing with small farmers in the EU, you would understand why.

But there will be no way to completely stop GEN technique.

Albania has some of the oldest people in the world, many, many over 110 years of age. Some eat only yoghurt.

Intolerance. My joints ached (knees, elbows) and I thought it was from working out hard. So I decided to do an experiment and give it a shot. I stuck to it for 6 weeks, exercised at the same intensity (didn't change exercise program at all) and the aches went away. Won't go back to eating it ever again.

I like to operate at 100% at all times so I'm really aware of what I put into my body

Joint pain is one of the signs of gluten intolerance and since yours disappeared that is a pretty definitive sign. If you ever try 23andMe you can verify if you have the genetic markers too.

What most people don't know is the impact on your mental faculties. They can be quite insidious too. Depression can be caused by gluten intolerance. I know that I am sharper mentally and also far less irritable when I am strictly gluten free.

Just an FYI. If your joints do start to hurt again in the future it is probably from something other than gluten if you are on the diet. I am old enough to be developing arthritis in my hands and feet. My hip was AVN. So yes, there are other things that cause joint pain as we age. :)

But in the mean time enjoy your pain free exercise. :)

And yet there is evidence that Celiac has been around for a very long time in the Med region.

Ancient bones show signs of struggle with coeliac disease : Nature News & Comment

Ancient bones show signs of struggle with coeliac disease
An affluent young woman with a probable gluten intolerance tried to manage it by altering her diet.

The woman’s remains were buried in a 2,000-year-old tomb at the Cosa archaeological site on the Tuscan coast in Italy. The ancient Roman city's economy depended on growing wheat and olives and was not particularly prosperous, yet archaeologists discovered gold and bronze jewellery entombed alongside the woman’s bones. They concluded that she was relatively wealthy and would have had access to plenty of food.

Yet the skeleton of the woman — who researchers estimate was 18–20 years old — bore signs of malnutrition and osteoporosis. Both can be complications of untreated coeliac disease, which is characterized by a severe allergic reaction to gluten in the intestinal lining. Many of the woman's bones were eroded at the tips, and she would have stood just 140 centimetres (4 feet, 7 inches) tall.

DNA analysis had previously shown that the woman carried two copies of an immune system gene variant that is associated with coeliac disease2. Although coeliac is a complex disease in which multiple environmental factors may play a role, the gene variant is found in nearly all patients in contemporary populations.

The combination of those genetic risk factors and malnutrition in someone likely to have good access to food make coeliac disease a reasonable diagnosis, says Gabriele Scorrano, a biological anthropologist at the University of Rome Tor Vergata, who led the latest study, published this month in American Journal of Physical Anthropology1.

To determine if the woman altered her diet, he and his colleagues analysed carbon and nitrogen isotopes in her bones, which tend to relate to food intake. The chemicals cannot reconstruct a person’s diet perfectly but instead paint broad brushstrokes of the consumption of foods such as plants, meats, freshwater fish and seafood. They can also indicate whether an individual consumed foods that were different from others.

I believe you....some of the stuff I have read about crossbreeding wheat to make it hardier makes me leery of it. Fortunately for me, I don't eat a lot of bread. We hardly ever have bread with our meal, unless we go out and they serve it. We do have a sandwich from time to time, but I don't think we ingest enough of it to make it dangerous.

It isn't just bread that contains gluten. Cookies, pasta, pizza, cereals, candies, etc are made with gluten. Even canned tomatoes contain wheat because they use that in the manufacturing process. Check the labels in the supermarket. Unless they are labeled gluten free there is every chance that there is something in them.

It isn't just bread that contains gluten. Cookies, pasta, pizza, cereals, candies, etc are made with gluten. Even canned tomatoes contain wheat because they use that in the manufacturing process. Check the labels in the supermarket. Unless they are labeled gluten free there is every chance that there is something in them.

More the reason to grow my own tomatoes and can/freeze the "overkill" - Damn, Deri, you just ruined my appetite...we're having pizza tonight! :D

More the reason to grow my own tomatoes and can/freeze the "overkill" - Damn, Deri, you just ruined my appetite...we're having pizza tonight! :D

Actually they make gluten free pizza. I prefer it to regular pizza because the crust is always thin and crispy which is how I like it best.

Mrs Te says she prefers the gluten free pasta because it is made with brown rice flour instead. She says there is no difference in the taste but the ingredients are healthier.

My all time favorite gluten free treat is Rice Chex Treats. They are crunchier than regular rice krispie treats. FYI Rice Krispies are made with gluten too! :eek:

Actually they make gluten free pizza. I prefer it to regular pizza because the crust is always thin and crispy which is how I like it best.

Mrs Te says she prefers the gluten free pasta because it is made with brown rice flour instead. She says there is no difference in the taste but the ingredients are healthier.

My all time favorite gluten free treat is Rice Chex Treats. They are crunchier than regular rice krispie treats. FYI Rice Krispies are made with gluten too! :eek:

I will have to give them a try....I usually am not much for "change" but if I like them I readily make the transition.

Good morning, peoples!

Day before yesterday, I was out front watering. I hit a poor bee with a splat of water and it fell. And I was barefoot. My foot is now the size of a football. And hurt? DAYUM. The swelling itches but the sting spot was right twixt my pinky toe and the one next to it..in that really delicate spot at the base. OW.
At first, I didn't know that pain was from a sting until about 20 minutes later. I thought I broke my toe or something. Finally came in the house to look at that area and there it was. The little sack. So it pumped its last into me while I fiddled around wrapping up the house, sweeping some weeds, etc.

Duh. I scraped the stinger out....and waited. I knew it would hurt more and maybe swell up a bit but I didn't think it would get THAT big and hurt THAT bad.

Went to bed at midnight, got up at 2am with someone taking pliers to that toe, took half a vicodin...tried to lay back down...dozed off lightly...back up again with the plier torture at 7am, took the other half of vicodin, two benadryls, went back to my recliner and finall got about 4 hours sleep with no more pliers.

Bee stings have never hurt me like this before but I am older now, so.....

Meanwhile...hubby got up yesterday morning with his throat extremely sore. He went to doc, and now it left his throat and is in his nose. Doc said he had a bad cold but it was not the flu. So between his honking and sniffing and coughing and me stumbling around, I keep hearing Tina Turner telling Mad Max "My, aren't we a pair?".

:lol:

Forum List

Back