Not the view you were looking for: A conservative woman's view on abortion

However, just because we all have the same DNA from conception to death is not a reason to deny a woman the right to choose what she does with her own body.

Not to get too dramatic here, but:

She chose the moment she willingly (key word there, willingly) opened her legs, she chose. She decided that she would use her body in the commission of sexual intercourse; to take the risk of becoming pregnant, either through a failure of the condom or through unprotected sex.

I really cannot equate a right to make a choice with the right to exist. The baby doesn't get to choose. Thusly I see the pro-choice stance to be quite self centered.

You may of heard about birth control that is not 100% effective.

You might have also heard of rape. But I know you right wing idiots think a woman can't get pregnant from rape and/or that rape doesn't exist.

You seem to have a problem with accurate terminology.
I clarified it:
They think that using the technical terminology shows that they're clearly so much smarter than everyone else than we should take their opinion as fact like they do. Basically it boils down to "I'm better than you because I am so neenerneenerneener." :)

I will give you bonus points for using it correctly though. That's almost as rare as knowing that life actually is pretty well defined.

No. You just ASSumed to know what another is thinking :)

but legally speaking

That's the problem. The law doesn't speak for concrete science.

The fetus as defined by science is the undeveloped offspring of its respective species. Science has a way of attributing that "fetus" to the species that spawned it. The law is an entirely different matter completely.

I'll stick with the scientific definitions of life, if you don't mind.

Well that's a pretty stupid argument, considering science shows otherwise.
Let's start from the beginning. How are you defining "life"? We can't really discuss the issue of whether someone is alive without knowing we're using the same criteria.

Let's go even further back. How do you define "separate"? The fetus and the mother share a fucking organ, its called the "placenta" - maybe you heard of it. That's quite a strange definition of "separate".
"Separate" is just a modifier of "life" in the question of whether they have a separate life. Please give me the definition you are using for "life". What defines whether something is alive or not? There is a correct answer, but I want yours.

Your claim that the fetus constitutes a "separate life" is wrong regardless of how life is defined because it is not separate. Whether we use your definition of life, mine, or Santa Claus's - your claim is still not true.

You've been indicating all along that the fetus has rights. Has something changed?

No, you have been indicating the fetus had no rights. If you can read, which I know you clearly can, you'll see the words "in your argument" at the tail end of the sentence.

You know, come to think of it, it's probably not a good idea to argue with a mod. The last time I argued science with one I got a lifelong ban from Conservapedia.

You can argue with us - we post as members. You can insult us, flame us, or blow raspberries at us.

I clarified it:
They think that using the technical terminology shows that they're clearly so much smarter than everyone else than we should take their opinion as fact like they do. Basically it boils down to "I'm better than you because I am so neenerneenerneener." :)

I will give you bonus points for using it correctly though. That's almost as rare as knowing that life actually is pretty well defined.

Coo, now we're calling people names.

The fetus as defined by science is the undeveloped offspring of its respective species. Science has a way of attributing that "fetus" to the species that spawned it. The law is an entirely different matter completely.

It's not about the science, though. It really isn't. It's about ideology. That's amply demonstrated by their refusal even to provide what they think that scientific definition is. I mean, hell, just think about how many don't believe there's a standard definition at all. It's all "we don't know when it begins or what it is so someone's alive when you believe they are".

It's not about the science, though. It really isn't. It's about ideology. That's amply demonstrated by their refusal even to provide what they think that scientific definition is. I mean, hell, just think about how many don't believe there's a standard definition at all.

Thusly the fantasitcal logic of

"I believe, therefore it is so."

You've been indicating all along that the fetus has rights. Has something changed?

No, you have. If you can read, which I know you clearly can, you'll see the words "in your argument" at the tail end of the sentence.

No, again - you're assuming I'm saying or implying something I'm not. I say exactly what I mean here. You've argued that a fetus has rights. I'm going along with that argument. I think ALL living things have rights but not all rights are equal.

Your claim that the fetus constitutes a "separate life" is wrong regardless of how life is defined because it is not separate. Whether we use your definition of life, mine, or Santa Claus's - your claim is still not true.
I've yet to make a claim about that yet. I asked for your definition of the term we're arguing about. You're still failing to provide this. Please tell me what you think it is.

I've yet to make a claim about that yet. I asked for your definition of the term we're arguing about. You're still failing to provide this. Please tell me what you think it is.

If you want the definition of life, look it up. It's not relevant to this discussion. That, is in fact, the entire problem with the anti-woman argument - you think its about the definition of life. Its not.

It's not about the science, though. It really isn't. It's about ideology. That's amply demonstrated by their refusal even to provide what they think that scientific definition is. I mean, hell, just think about how many don't believe there's a standard definition at all. It's all "we don't know when it begins or what it is so someone's alive when you believe they are".

The best definition for the starting life that I have heard came from debates I had with alan1 over abortion - debates which actually changed my point of view in regards to abortion. Science defines death - the cessation of human life - by the absence of brainwaves. Therefore, it would make sense to define the beginning of human life by the presence of brain waves.

No, again - you're assuming I'm saying or implying something I'm not. I say exactly what I mean here. You've argued that a fetus has rights. I'm going along with that argument. I think ALL living things have rights but not all rights are equal

I'm only working off of what I'm reading Coyote.

The moment the vascular endothelial cells fully form and begin to pulsate within the fetus, that constitutes a heart, and a heartbeat. We normally associate a heartbeat with life.

No, again - you're assuming I'm saying or implying something I'm not. I say exactly what I mean here. You've argued that a fetus has rights. I'm going along with that argument. I think ALL living things have rights but not all rights are equal

I'm only working off of what I'm reading Coyote.

Then stop inserting your words into it.

The moment the vascular endothelial cells fully form and begin to pulsate within the fetus, that constitutes a heart, and a heartbeat. We normally associate a heartbeat with life.

A brain dead person can be kept artificially alive by a machine that keeps the heart pumping. Is it "alive"?

I clarified it:

Coo, now we're calling people names.

"I'm better than you because I am so neenerneenerneener."

Forum List

Back