NRA General Counsel Robert Dowlut Convicted of Murder

Oh, btw Joe, you do realize that the police union probably worked to keep the cops on the job after their incompetence blew the case, right?

Here's part of an article recently published by Mother Jones.

... NRA general counsel Robert J. Dowlut, is a low-profile yet influential legal expert who has spent more than 35 years pushing for an aggressively broad interpretation of the Second Amendment. In 1964, he was sentenced to life in prison for shooting his girlfriend's mother in South Bend, Indiana. ...

Did the NRA Know About Robert Dowlut's Reversed Murder Conviction? | Mother Jones

All this happened almost 50 years ago but it's been more or less unknown to the general public. Despite the NRA's high profile, they haven't talked about the history of one of their most important staff. Moreover, they're not talking now. They won't discuss Robert Dowlut's history and he won't either. That's kind of strange. The NRA tells us guns are good so why aren't they talking?

I'm not a fan of guns. Two of my cousins are dead because of guns. I don't want to take people's guns from them but I do want to see gun violence stop.

When it comes to what you posted I did some checking and you're not telling the whole story.

The police denied his right to an attorney repeatedly, the police threatened him with body harm if he didn't confess and the police botched the investigation.

A judge threw out his conviction and the local prosecuting attorney didn't want to retry the case. So he's not a convicted murderer.

Police shouldn't threaten anyone with harm for a confession. Police have no right to deny anyone a lawyer.

If the police had not botched the case so badly the man would probably still be in prison now. Which is where he belongs.

The police's actions allowed him to get away with murder.

This is what Robert Lindsay has to say. He's no right winger.

Top NRA Second Amendment Attorney is a Convicted Murderer | Beyond Highbrow - Robert Lindsay

Top NRA Second Amendment Attorney is a Convicted Murderer
After previous armed robberies, one night Robert J. Dowlut shot and seriously wounded a jewelry shop owner in a robbery. Later he went to the home his girlfriend Camille shared with her mother Anne Marie Yocum. Dowlut had never gotten along with his girlfriend’s mother, and the mother did not approve of Dowlut dating her daughter. He walked into Anne Marie Yocum’s house. She looked up, startled. He shot her once and then shot her again, this time dead, on the stairwell. Then he ditched the murder weapon, a Webley Mark VI revolver, in a cemetery.

The investigation was botched, his right to an attorney was repeatedly denied, and he was repeatedly threatended with physical harm if he did not confess. It’s amazing they did not beat the conviction out of him. He was convicted and served six years in prison but was released when a judge voided the conviction due to massive prosecutorial misconduct in the course of his interrogation. The DA declined to try the case again as much of the evidence revolved around his confession after he was arrested, evidence which would now not be allowed in court.

Dowlut went on to become a successful attorney. At age 68, he is one of the NRA’s top attorneys and is recognized as one of the country’s leading experts on the Second Amendment and state gun laws.

As you can see, he has a very good reason to believe in the right to bear arms.

didn't suggest he shouldn't be able to practice law.

Have A BIG problem that someone like this is helping WRITE the laws on guns.

If he is an expert on the legal ramifications of the 2nd Amendment, there is no reason he should be prevented from being the NRA's lawyer.

Oh, and perhaps a review of how laws are passed would be in order. The NRA does not pass laws. Only Congress does that. If they choose to make use of the expertise of the NRA's lawyers, there is nothing wrong.

Congress doesn't pass laws. We have a SCOTUS declaring gun laws null and void. What's the point of having a gun law,

its too bad the USSC cannot order those who pass unconstitutional laws held for high treason.

I am still confused as to why the NRA's attorney having been convicted and then the conviction overturned, means anything.

A person who almost certainly used a gun to kill a defenseless person holds a responsible position in an organization dedicated to gun proliferation.

[

Congress does, indeed, pass gun laws. SCOTUS only rules on them if it is brought before them as unconstitutional. And they have ruled properly, imo.

That's because you're a fucking gun nut.

How is it that it took 200+ years to get a SCOTUS to read the 2nd Amendment the way you clowns do?

what a moronic bit of bull excrement. the USSC never had to deal with the second amendment until a scum bag known as FDR pissed all over the 2A with his idiotic 1934 NFA. You are a fucking garment soiling hysterical gun hater

Here's part of an article recently published by Mother Jones.

... NRA general counsel Robert J. Dowlut, is a low-profile yet influential legal expert who has spent more than 35 years pushing for an aggressively broad interpretation of the Second Amendment. In 1964, he was sentenced to life in prison for shooting his girlfriend's mother in South Bend, Indiana. ...

Did the NRA Know About Robert Dowlut's Reversed Murder Conviction? | Mother Jones

All this happened almost 50 years ago but it's been more or less unknown to the general public. Despite the NRA's high profile, they haven't talked about the history of one of their most important staff. Moreover, they're not talking now. They won't discuss Robert Dowlut's history and he won't either. That's kind of strange. The NRA tells us guns are good so why aren't they talking?

I'm not a fan of guns. Two of my cousins are dead because of guns. I don't want to take people's guns from them but I do want to see gun violence stop.

When it comes to what you posted I did some checking and you're not telling the whole story.

The police denied his right to an attorney repeatedly, the police threatened him with body harm if he didn't confess and the police botched the investigation.

A judge threw out his conviction and the local prosecuting attorney didn't want to retry the case. So he's not a convicted murderer.

Police shouldn't threaten anyone with harm for a confession. Police have no right to deny anyone a lawyer.

If the police had not botched the case so badly the man would probably still be in prison now. Which is where he belongs.

The police's actions allowed him to get away with murder.

This is what Robert Lindsay has to say. He's no right winger.

Top NRA Second Amendment Attorney is a Convicted Murderer | Beyond Highbrow - Robert Lindsay

Top NRA Second Amendment Attorney is a Convicted Murderer
After previous armed robberies, one night Robert J. Dowlut shot and seriously wounded a jewelry shop owner in a robbery. Later he went to the home his girlfriend Camille shared with her mother Anne Marie Yocum. Dowlut had never gotten along with his girlfriend’s mother, and the mother did not approve of Dowlut dating her daughter. He walked into Anne Marie Yocum’s house. She looked up, startled. He shot her once and then shot her again, this time dead, on the stairwell. Then he ditched the murder weapon, a Webley Mark VI revolver, in a cemetery.

The investigation was botched, his right to an attorney was repeatedly denied, and he was repeatedly threatended with physical harm if he did not confess. It’s amazing they did not beat the conviction out of him. He was convicted and served six years in prison but was released when a judge voided the conviction due to massive prosecutorial misconduct in the course of his interrogation. The DA declined to try the case again as much of the evidence revolved around his confession after he was arrested, evidence which would now not be allowed in court.

Dowlut went on to become a successful attorney. At age 68, he is one of the NRA’s top attorneys and is recognized as one of the country’s leading experts on the Second Amendment and state gun laws.

As you can see, he has a very good reason to believe in the right to bear arms.

I am curious Dana: you went through this thread and disagreed with almost a dozen of my posts and yet your one post here seems to agree with what I was saying

what gives? did you actually read what I wrote and if so state your disagreement

...A judge threw out his conviction and the local prosecuting attorney didn't want to retry the case. So he's not a convicted murderer.

I've said that repeatedly throughout this topic.

... The police's actions allowed him to get away with murder....

You're right. However, the evidence is overwhelming regardless of what the police did. It leads us to believe Dowlut killed the woman.

...A judge threw out his conviction and the local prosecuting attorney didn't want to retry the case. So he's not a convicted murderer.

You're right. However, the evidence is overwhelming regardless of what the police did. It leads us to believe Dowlut killed the woman.

AND YOU HAVE FELT A NEED to spam this MJ article on at least three different forums.

AND YOU HAVE FELT A NEED to spam this MJ article on at least three different forums.

It is a legitimate topic for discussion.

I don't see why. The lawyer is not out shooting. He is being a lawyer. The system is what it is. If someone has no felony convictions, they can be a member of the Bar Association and practice law.

why are you spamming it all over the net? because you are a Mother Jones Parrot? or because you have a serious hard on for the NRA?

Yes I agree the evidence is overwhelming. If the police had not done such a bad job, if the police had not violated his right to a lawyer and if the police had not violated the law and threatened him, he would probably be in prison right now serving his sentence.

That judge had no other choice but to throw that conviction out.

The prosecuting attorney should have put him on trial after the judge's ruling but didn't.

While I don't like the nra or guns I dislike people's rights being violated even more. I dislike police threatening people even more.

I don't like people murdering people and getting away with it either.

Yes I agree the evidence is overwhelming. If the police had not done such a bad job, if the police had not violated his right to a lawyer and if the police had not violated the law and threatened him, he would probably be in prison right now serving his sentence.

The prosecuting attorney should have put him on trial after the judge's ruling but didn't.

While I don't like the nra or guns I dislike people's rights being violated even more. I dislike police threatening people even more.

I don't think anyone like someone murdering people and getting away with it. But the system is what it is. If we change it so that cases like this could be tried over and over, despite what the cops did, it would have a huge and lasting horrible effect.

As it stands, his case was overturned and he is free to practice law. Were he not working for the NRA, the people protesting him would not care a bit.

I don't think anyone like someone murdering people and getting away with it. But the system is what it is. If we change it so that cases like this could be tried over and over, despite what the cops did, it would have a huge and lasting horrible effect.

As it stands, his case was overturned and he is free to practice law. Were he not working for the NRA, the people protesting him would not care a bit.

true, Joe Steel is a well known hysterical gun banner. He has spammed this article on at least three forums because he hates the NRA and wants to ban all guns and pro gun organizations

true, Joe Steel is a well known hysterical gun banner. He has spammed this article on at least three forums because he hates the NRA and wants to ban all guns and pro gun organizations

Luckily people who think like that are in a serious minority.

Forum List

Back