Obama on the flag? Seriously?

The American flag has 50 stars and 13 stripes at present. I know it's a little yukky to see someone's picture on the flag, but the person who did the construct only meant to honor the person pictured.

I've made flaglike quilts for everyday use--bed quilts, wallhangings, and even mugmats. Coffee gets spilt on them, people sleep under them, people have put them in offices and halls.

Agreed, it's too bad some folks want to show their American spirit by using a flaglike setting as a backdrop, but it's not a real flag, unless it has 50 white stars on a flag blue ground, and the stripes have to be a certain proportion.

As an artist, this doesn't upset me, although I'm unhappy President Obama made a personal appeal to the United States Treasury to hurry up and get a check out to a company named Solyndra--a check of stimulus for $535 million, which is over half a billion dollars.

I can keep the two separated from each other. Democrats have their particular reasoning for why it was okay for the POTUS to make a demand call to the Treasury to hurry up money to his supporters running a green company, but a picture of the President on a blue ground surrounded by 13 stripes just doesn't get under my nails. The pandering element of putting pressure on the US Treasury to hurry to spend money on a losing proposition is why I am unhappy.

This quilt I made and sent to a wounded American soldier who got a terrible head injury in Afghanistan or Iraq, and didn't want to come home because he felt he was letting his team down:

StarsandStripsFlag-2.jpg

It's not official, because it's not proportionally long enough, and it's not official because it's a bed decoration. I did it to honor the severely wounded American soldier, although I have 4 more cut out, the need in our community right now is for children, and I'm even making the silliest representation you ever saw of the quilt (in the Arts and Crafts area here at USMB) which you can only see small representations of because I can't take pictures worth a hoot and cameras frighten me.

I'm marking time till November, but not because of a piece of fabric. The loyal opposition also hopes to keep Obama, so there will be times tempers will flair.

Let's be more loving Americans to one another even in times of elections. Our childrens' future depends on us to keep the nation together. Even when I'm unfond of a politician that carries weight over me in the country, I still pray for him, and hope all of us who believe do that tonight. :eusa_pray:

Last edited:
Fine with me.

As long as those flags don't fly in public I see no problem with signing them

We were talking of flags on display...flown in public.

I find the where Obama's picture placed in the blue field where the 50 Stars that represent the States (and subsequently the people), to be quite hideous...and wrong.

It's disrespectful.

The always innovative TexasFred is providing a very special TEA Party flag for rallies around the U.S. It can be used over and over, and the idea is to use it again and again, which means the TEA parties will live on. Read his instructions below carefully, and get your order in quickly to make sure your flag(s) arrives on time. FYI: some notes that Fred left in the comment section:
Fred and Friends have ordered only 100 flags, and of course will reorder once those are sold. (From Maggie: Fred and friends are putting up their own money to make a quantity of flags available for us. They are taking some real risk here, but hey...we all need a flag for TEA parties, so order as quickly as you can). Fred also says that the pic doesn't do justice to these beautiful flags.

We have to wait for checks to clear, we don’t have a lot of money to put into this and have used what we have to get it set up. Cash or a money order will expedite shipping. A money order will offer you the protection you need too. I understand having worries about sending cash. We don’t have a PayPal account set up for this, PayPal takes out a nice slice of the money before you get yours and we are trying to hold costs to a minimum and pass along a very high quality product to our friends and fellow TEA Party patriots at as low a price as possible. It takes about 10 days to get the flags from the manufacturer, then a couple of days via Priority Mail to get them in your hands, so, we can have them well before the 4th of July! These flags are simply gorgeous, they measure 24″ x 38″ and have lanyard rings. They are very well constructed and I was totally impressed when I saw the finished product. My partner in this venture is ordering quite a few flags as I post this message. We are pretty certain that folks will want one, and I assure you, the REAL flag looks infinitely better than the picture does. Our digital camera sux. We will need your name and mailing address, and a telephone number if you are comfortable with that, included with your order. We have to know where to send the flag. :p We will NOT sell your information, WE HATE SPAMMERS TOO! Your information will remain completely confidential
EDIT: Spammish elements and sales links removed.

:rofl:

That's different. Somehow.

They are both wrong. It is Desecration. I do not support the DNC or the Tea Party doing it. It's plain wrong.

Fine with me.

As long as those flags don't fly in public I see no problem with signing them

We were talking of flags on display...flown in public.

I find the where Obama's picture placed in the blue field where the 50 Stars that represent the States (and subsequently the people), to be quite hideous...and wrong.

It's disrespectful.

The always innovative TexasFred is providing a very special TEA Party flag for rallies around the U.S. It can be used over and over, and the idea is to use it again and again, which means the TEA parties will live on. Read his instructions below carefully, and get your order in quickly to make sure your flag(s) arrives on time. FYI: some notes that Fred left in the comment section:
Fred and Friends have ordered only 100 flags, and of course will reorder once those are sold. (From Maggie: Fred and friends are putting up their own money to make a quantity of flags available for us. They are taking some real risk here, but hey...we all need a flag for TEA parties, so order as quickly as you can). Fred also says that the pic doesn't do justice to these beautiful flags.

We have to wait for checks to clear, we don’t have a lot of money to put into this and have used what we have to get it set up. Cash or a money order will expedite shipping. A money order will offer you the protection you need too. I understand having worries about sending cash. We don’t have a PayPal account set up for this, PayPal takes out a nice slice of the money before you get yours and we are trying to hold costs to a minimum and pass along a very high quality product to our friends and fellow TEA Party patriots at as low a price as possible. It takes about 10 days to get the flags from the manufacturer, then a couple of days via Priority Mail to get them in your hands, so, we can have them well before the 4th of July! These flags are simply gorgeous, they measure 24″ x 38″ and have lanyard rings. They are very well constructed and I was totally impressed when I saw the finished product. My partner in this venture is ordering quite a few flags as I post this message. We are pretty certain that folks will want one, and I assure you, the REAL flag looks infinitely better than the picture does. Our digital camera sux. We will need your name and mailing address, and a telephone number if you are comfortable with that, included with your order. We have to know where to send the flag. :p We will NOT sell your information, WE HATE SPAMMERS TOO! Your information will remain completely confidential
EDIT: Spammish elements and sales links removed.

:rofl:

That's different. Somehow.

the decoration and nobody flew them.

Should be forwarded to FoxNews. I'm sure they'll be outraged.

Those flags represent a group. In this case it doesn't appear to be on a flagpole either. I guess if the Democratic Party wants to adopt that flag as theirs, its fine. They didn't do that though, did they?

Yep. That is a good point, if they were not being flown on flag poles.

An American flag with President Obama's image in place of the stars flew over a Florida county's Democrat headquarters

Read more: American Flag With President Obama's Image Sparks Outrage At Florida Democrats | Fox News

Is there a comparison? If so can Anyone link it?

Dumb..Dumb..Newby.. Obama's pic is NOT on an Ameican flag. There are no stars on the stripey flag with his pic. Therefore it is not a US flag. Get a life.

Huggy, is there nothing you won't defend, in relation to Obama??? Why do you think it got taken down Huggy??? Seriously.

The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Flag Etiquette

I think what is important is the intention of the designer of the "flag".

I find the one with Obama's face to be in extremely poor taste as it is worshipping a man.

I find the Tea Party ones that have been bantered about in this thread to be somewhat better because it was done with respect for America.

I don't find Freedombecki's quilt to be a problem at all. There was no disrespect intended.

It simply comes down to the intention of the person displaying the flag.

Immie

Dumb..Dumb..Newby.. Obama's pic is NOT on an Ameican flag. There are no stars on the stripey flag with his pic. Therefore it is not a US flag. Get a life.

Huggy, is there nothing you won't defend, in relation to Obama??? Why do you think it got taken down Huggy??? Seriously.

The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Flag Etiquette

Blah...blah...blah... How is it a U S flag with no stars?

If it makes ya feel any better I think the Obama flag looks stupid.

This isn't about defendin Obama..this is a non event drummed up into an hysterical frenzy over NOTHING. Without the stars you got nothing. Calm down. Red and white stripes are just that ...red and white stripes. You people are wound just a scosh too tight. If y'all hate Obama so much why don't ya do something about it? Fuck!..If I hated someone as much as you nitwits hate Obama..they are not long for this world. Put up or shut up ya babies!

Blah...blah...blah... How is it a U S flag with no stars?

If it makes ya feel any better I think the Obama flag looks stupid.

This isn't about defendin Obama..this is a non event drummed up into an hysterical frenzy over NOTHING. Without the stars you got nothing. Calm down. Red and white stripes are just that ...red and white stripes. You people are wound just a scosh too tight. If y'all hate Obama so much why don't ya do something about it? Fuck!..If I hated someone as much as you nitwits hate Obama..they are not long for this world. Put up or shut up ya babies!

My problem was that it was flown under the US Flag, on an Official Flagpole. This was a DNC Headquarters. Bad Bad Idea. At least they had the sense to remove it when Hell broke lose. Somebody should be working on their Resume, right about now.

People are defending this?

Try doing this to an Brazillian soccer flag. Riots break out. For crying out you libs tell morons like this to stop this shit.

You have morons now replacing the Stars with His "holy" mug? Aw come on guys. And you actually defend this idiocy?

Forum List

Back