Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

I will try to keep these type posts to a minimum but Dave makes a point that he is a vet. The military is a near perfect welfare state. Ironic isn't it?

are u saying soliders dont perform jobs for their pay?

No. 'Welfare' is the wrong word. What I mean is that the military is not a capitistic model, kind of like school grants. The government believes in protecting the country so it pays soldiers. The government believes education is good so it gives grants. Same principle. Right? A different principle is raise cattle for market.

If you said pays soldiers to perform the job of defending the country (something the government is constitutionally charged to do) is the same as providing a compensation benefit to a government employee to become educated to become a teacher, you would be in the same ballpark.. to compare military compensation and benefit to handing out free money to go to school, is fucking insulting

Eliminating the Dept of Ed would put control of education back into the hands of local officials who know local education needs better.
And this would reduce class size how? Are you honestly suggesting that local officials are NOT reducing class sizes and are NOT hiring more teachers because of Federal rules from the Dept of Education? What are those rules then?

Eliminating the power of teachers unions to prevent principals from getting rid of shitty teachers would improve teacher quality.
How? If you and I are teachers and you're shitty and get fired, how does that make me better? How does me now having to teach your students in addition to mine help me teach better?

Neither concept is hard to grasp, and have been explained many times. Just because you don't listen does not mean it has not been explained.
It's never been explained. You guys keep claiming it, but then never explain the steps. Your logic is like this:

1. Class size is too big.
2. Give more local control.
4. Smaller class sizes accomplished.

How does having more local control translate to more teachers and smaller classes?

small classes have been proven with time not to be as effective as sold.

The small upstate school system my family greww up in in the 60's and 70's had 30 pulse kids in every class and NO teachers aids all trew school. We beat the pants off same district now as far as SAT and all other standardized testing

why would that be??

I will try to keep these type posts to a minimum but Dave makes a point that he is a vet. The military is a near perfect welfare state. Ironic isn't it?

Welfare?? You trying to assert that I did not work for any compensation I got, or any benefit I got??

Dream on, asshole...

I worked more in my service time that you ever will in your entire fucking life

they made a clarification.

A piss poor clarification... compensation for actual work is not like handing out a grant for doing nothing related to employment

Single mom with two kids who is on food stamps and welfare, but wants to get a career and move up but needs some help, your advice is "Fuck you. Work harder. Oh, and we're cutting your food stamps and welfare."

Personally feelings aside of how large an ass you are, this is economically speaking, the dumbest approach you could possibly take.

Welfare?? You trying to assert that I did not work for any compensation I got, or any benefit I got??

Dream on, asshole...

so do I as a State Employee....so do cops and prison guards and teachers and clerks and janitors.

If we got rid of unions who protect teachers who passed students who didn't meet the standards of the curriculum, it wouldn't the taxpayers a dime. Teachers who just wing it in the classroom and pass students on willy nilly are the problem. We need strong administrators who can recognize good teachers and can accurate evaluate a students progress and can document grades accurately.

It's as easy as that, but hard because Unions protect the poor quality teachers.

Dream on, asshole...

A piss poor clarification... compensation for actual work is not like handing out a grant for doing nothing related to employment

i agree but im not going to insult or berate if they attempt to say whoa i made a mistake. I do it all the time. I think we should extend that as good manners. I agree at first with u and went on the defense but he did say he didt mean wellfare.

Also notice this money he proposes is going to union members?

the hell you little people, teachers are just more important than you

If we got rid of unions who protect teachers who passed students who didn't meet the standards of the curriculum, it wouldn't the taxpayers a dime. Teachers who just wing it in the classroom and pass students on willy nilly are the problem. We need strong administrators who can recognize good teachers and can accurate evaluate a students progress and can document grades accurately.

It's as easy as that, but hard because Unions protect the poor quality teachers.

some unions meant well, majority not so much.

i agree but im not going to insult or berate if they attempt to say whoa i made a mistake. I do it all the time. I think we should extend that as good manners. I agree at first with u and went on the defense but he did say he didt mean wellfare.

Saying you make a mistake while mistakenly equating it still to something completely wrong is not like admitting your mistake and getting it right.... sorry...

I will not stand for this every growing moronic crowd who likes to lump the military or military compensation in with entitlements... not to mention when they try and equate the military to marxism (not that this guy did, yet)

Dream on, asshole...

so do I as a State Employee....so do cops and prison guards and teachers and clerks and janitors.

Do I berate all government employees?? Nope... people work hard and many do necessary jobs to keep the government running... that is not the same though as supporting an ever growing government expanding into areas that they have no business in... that is where you see conservatives getting pissed.. not that government employees actually exist

this argument again, yes teachers are the only ones who work on their offdays, many office people looking to get ahead never work either, ive never seen my sister bring her laptop home from work to keep working yes yes yes its only teachers.
I never said teachers are the only ones. Why do you continue to try and put words in my mouth?

I'm merely pointing out you're wrong when you say they have weekends and holidays off, because many times, they don't.

look up how hard it is to fire a tenured teacher, u really dont have a clue.
I do know how hard it is to fire them. And I agree it's good that it's hard to fire them. You have yet to explain why making it easier would help other teachers be better.

and ive talked to many a teachers and even they are seeing the light, it irks them some work hard and some dont, it irks them that they have passsing students and some just pass students. But u know u know all the rest of us are here to learn from u how dare we think for ourselves.
Huh. Really? So, you would agree then that rewarding the ones who work harder would help alleviate this situation? So, you would agree, that President Obama's plan would benefit teachers.

Good. We agree. :eusa_clap:

this argument again, yes teachers are the only ones who work on their offdays, many office people looking to get ahead never work either, ive never seen my sister bring her laptop home from work to keep working yes yes yes its only teachers.
I never said teachers are the only ones. Why do you continue to try and put words in my mouth?

I'm merely pointing out you're wrong when you say they have weekends and holidays off, because many times, they don't.

look up how hard it is to fire a tenured teacher, u really dont have a clue.
I do know how hard it is to fire them. And I agree it's good that it's hard to fire them. You have yet to explain why making it easier would help other teachers be better.

and ive talked to many a teachers and even they are seeing the light, it irks them some work hard and some dont, it irks them that they have passsing students and some just pass students. But u know u know all the rest of us are here to learn from u how dare we think for ourselves.
Huh. Really? So, you would agree then that rewarding the ones who work harder would help alleviate this situation? So, you would agree, that President Obama's plan would benefit teachers.

Good. We agree. :eusa_clap:

hes buying votes, we dont agree, I think the teachers should and have started gutting the bad teachers, many teachers are not disagreeing with this. We can do this without more money being thrown at education.

Money being used effectively thats where i stand, if u stand with me awesome, if not i cant support money being spent for the sake of money being spent.

Eliminating the Dept of Ed would put control of education back into the hands of local officials who know local education needs better.
And this would reduce class size how? Are you honestly suggesting that local officials are NOT reducing class sizes and are NOT hiring more teachers because of Federal rules from the Dept of Education? What are those rules then?

How? If you and I are teachers and you're shitty and get fired, how does that make me better? How does me now having to teach your students in addition to mine help me teach better?

Neither concept is hard to grasp, and have been explained many times. Just because you don't listen does not mean it has not been explained.
It's never been explained. You guys keep claiming it, but then never explain the steps. Your logic is like this:

1. Class size is too big.
2. Give more local control.
4. Smaller class sizes accomplished.

How does having more local control translate to more teachers and smaller classes?

small classes have been proven with time not to be as effective as sold.

The small upstate school system my family greww up in in the 60's and 70's had 30 pulse kids in every class and NO teachers aids all trew school. We beat the pants off same district now as far as SAT and all other standardized testing

why would that be??

It could be a variety of reasons. Least of which cultural changes from the 60s and 70s.

But, you said "small classes have been proven with time not to be as effective as sold." Proven huh? That's great! Can you give us the link to the study that proved it? Thanks.

Again with this??

Firing bad teachers is something we all agree on, but it will not make the jobs of the other teachers easier and will not motivate those teachers to work harder. You seem to think it will, so I'd love to hear how.

All we have been doing is throwing money at education and yet we fall further and further behind other countries.

Seems to me it's about time we stop throwing good money after bad at teachers etc and try something new.

I think a lot of the money spent on education goes to shore up union coffers and doesn't do a damn thing for the students.

My children did well in school because I made them sit down every night and do their homework and I taught them to respect authority, so they were well behaved in school. If you have willing students, a good teacher and books, learning happens. I don't think government spending can make up for ignorant parents and lousy teachers.

i cant support money being spent for the sake of money being spent.

It's not. It's being spent to reward hard working, successful teachers.

And apparently you're against that. Fine.

if u can guarantee me the money will get to them fine, but why just successful teachers, why dont we celebrate successful people why are teachers who are successful being rewarded, there are many people and charities that need that money.

Forum List

Back