Obese passenger

The irrate passenger deserves some credit as he did show restraint during the flight when he did not engage in conflict with the larger sized passenger. However, the larger sized passenger could not be blamed for what happened. He has every right to fly, and even if he were to agree to pay extra for two seats, the airline would likely not accommodate his request.

The airline was clearly at fault here. When seeing what was unfolding, why did the flight attendents not move either of the two passengers to the back where there was ample room?

Good question. Especially given that he says people were laying across 3 seats later. He, himself could have moved if he wanted to, he just wanted to whine.

You don't know that - you are just speculating.

Having once myself experienced a trip sitting next to a morbidly obese person (who left the armrest up and took part of my seat while leaning on me) during a four hour flight, I find the writer's representations to be quite plausible.

May be for everybody's comfort the obese should be given a special row of seats ...say the first or the last row.....especially for them..that could solve the problem for them and for the rest:)

The irrate passenger deserves some credit as he did show restraint during the flight when he did not engage in conflict with the larger sized passenger. However, the larger sized passenger could not be blamed for what happened. He has every right to fly, and even if he were to agree to pay extra for two seats, the airline would likely not accommodate his request.

The airline was clearly at fault here. When seeing what was unfolding, why did the flight attendents not move either of the two passengers to the back where there was ample room?

Good question. Especially given that he says people were laying across 3 seats later. He, himself could have moved if he wanted to, he just wanted to whine.

Right. Waking up sleeping people on a plane is a good idea.

May be for everybody's comfort the obese should be given a special row of seats ...say the first or the last row.....especially for them..that could solve the problem for them and for the rest:)

There is a very simple solution employed by some airlines: the fat fatties have to buy two seats. If they can't fit in one standard seat, they should be required to pay for additional room. This would also take care of their burden on the fuel supply which is highly affected by weight.

There is a very simple solution employed by some airlines: the fat fatties have to buy two seats. If they can't fit in one standard seat, they should be required to pay for additional room. This would also take care of their burden on the fuel supply which is highly affected by weight.

Good idea! and why don't they do that? buy the extra damn seat and don't bother the rest of the passengers!

What is the problem then?

Having once myself experienced a trip sitting next to a morbidly obese person (who left the armrest up and took part of my seat while leaning on me) during a four hour flight, I find the writer's representations to be quite plausible.

Having worked for United Airlines and knowing the rules for who gets the exit row seats, I know it's not plausible, it's not even legally possible.

He was in the exit row. His job was to open the door and get out. My guess is, you want a big strong person to open that door, not a skinny person with no muscles. If the airlines didn't think he could do that job, they wouldn't have put him there. And no, it doesn't matter how much you pay to sit in the exit row, if you can't do that job, you can't sit there.

But keep trying to think of as many reasons as you can to hate on a guy you've never met and know nothing about.

Do you really consider a morbidly obese person to be STRONG and able to help when a disaster occurs?

Boy aren't you wrong.

The morbidly obese person will be the obstacle on the way for EVERYBODY and the only way to avoid damage by the hill of fat not being able even to help himself will be to push him out the door first( if he fits the opening)

probably that was the reasoning behind placing him on the exit row.

I support the two ticket idea. I knew a guy who had to purchase two tickets for a helicopter ride. Very expensive proposition.

Good idea! and why don't they do that? buy the extra damn seat and don't bother the rest of the passengers!

I've known people who did that, but then the two seats weren't together. The airline ended up refunding one of the seats. Southwest will let you book two seats and refund one of them if the plane isn't full. I still say bigger seats are needed as is more legroom. While passengers have gotten bigger, seats and legroom has gotten smaller.

The airlines have been talking about using the BMI as a gauge but I don't know if anyone has put this measurement into effect and actually made someone buy two seats. If they actually do it, it would solve the problem. The obese person fills two seats and anyone can be in the third comfortably. Or as comfortably as possible on today's airplanes.

He was in the exit row. His job was to open the door and get out. My guess is, you want a big strong person to open that door, not a skinny person with no muscles. If the airlines didn't think he could do that job, they wouldn't have put him there. And no, it doesn't matter how much you pay to sit in the exit row, if you can't do that job, you can't sit there.

But keep trying to think of as many reasons as you can to hate on a guy you've never met and know nothing about.

Do you really consider a morbidly obese person to be STRONG and able to help when a disaster occurs?

Boy aren't you wrong.

The morbidly obese person will be the obstacle on the way for EVERYBODY and the only way to avoid damage by the hill of fat not being able even to help himself will be to push him out the door first( if he fits the opening)

They would not have put him in the exit row if he couldn't do that job. That's the LAW. And if he was as obese as you say, considering there were vacant seats in the plane, they would have put him in them, not in the exit row. The exit row is always assigned at the airport unless you are a frequent flyer and they know you can do the job. If they've come up with a way for you to purchase the exit row seat by paying more money ahead of time, they still have to decide at the airport if you can do the job or not and refund your money if you can't.

Last edited:
I believe we're dealing with a personality type that would refuse to move to another seat despite it being more comfortable. He paid his $25 and irrationally let stupidity trump comfort. OTO, the heavier passenger asked for the seat to have at least a little comfort and would have been miserable elsewhere. Unless, of course, there were two adjacent empty seats. Not likely these days.

there were empty ROWS - as described by the irate passenger - and some people were laying ACROSS it - and the flight attendants did not bother them to accommodate the irate passenger.

There was plenty of room as described.

I've known people who did that, but then the two seats weren't together. The airline ended up refunding one of the seats. Southwest will let you book two seats and refund one of them if the plane isn't full. I still say bigger seats are needed as is more legroom. While passengers have gotten bigger, seats and legroom has gotten smaller.

no ....but the seats sold to morbid obese have to be together that is the whole idea!

that is the whole point of it all!

Boy aren't you wrong.

They would not have put him in the exit row if he couldn't do that job. That's the LAW.

maybe, maybe not. if they are reasoning like you do - that being fat makes you strong, then they are clearly not following the law.

However, the point here is why did not the flight attendants help the other passenger move to the more comfortable zone - as obviously there were plenty of empty seats.

Having worked for United Airlines and knowing the rules for who gets the exit row seats, I know it's not plausible, it's not even legally possible.

B'loney. I saw it happen. It was right next to me. When the blubber is so expansive that one cannot even see the armrest, it's very easy for the flight attendant to overlook it.

Boy aren't you wrong.

They would not have put him in the exit row if he couldn't do that job. That's the LAW.

maybe, maybe not. if they are reasoning like you do - that being fat makes you strong, then they are clearly not following the law.

However, the point here is why did not the flight attendants help the other passenger move to the more comfortable zone - as obviously there were plenty of empty seats.

She's also overlooking the fact that this happened in Australia, which likely has different regulations than the U.S.

no ....but the seats sold to morbid obese have to be together that is the whole idea!

that is the whole point of it all!

Exactly! However, since they don't always get seat assignments until they check in, often times they can't find 2 seats together. That may have changed with different computer software.

well, except you do not have a right to take 3 seats and sleep comfortably when somebody else is clearly in discomfort. I do not see any problem why won't you wake up somebody laying across 3 seats. I would do it MYSELF and I have done it.

well, except you do not have a right to take 3 seats and sleep comfortably when somebody else is clearly in discomfort. I do not see any problem why won't you wake up somebody laying across 3 seats. I would do it MYSELF and I have done it.

And plus if he hadn't been flirting with the giggling flight attendants, he could have just gotten one of the additional seats himself, before the passenger laid down to sleep. I think he was too busy trying to shame the fat guy and get the attendants to move him so that he could have that exit row to himself.

Forum List

Back