Off grid living is illegal in FL? WTH?

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Florida Makes Off-Grid Living Illegal |Natural Cures Not Medicine

"This time, it’s Robin Speronis that’s come under fire. She lives off the grid in Florida, completely independent of the city’s water and electric system. A few weeks ago, officials ruled her off-grid home illegal. Officials cited the International Property Maintenance Code, which mandates that homes be connected to an electricity grid and a running water source."

Can see the concern:if not sufficiently able to guard against it, having make-shift versions for water and sanitation creates a public health hazard as to diseases. Wanna live like 3rd worlders, move to the 3rd world.

A few weeks ago, officials ruled her off-grid home illegal. Officials cited the International Property Maintenance Code, which mandates that homes be connected to an electricity grid and a running water source. That’s just like saying our dependency on corporations isn’t even a choice.
This in particular deserves attention. Has anyone read the actual law that she violated?

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/ibr/icc.ipmc.2012.html
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This 2012 International Property Maintenance Code® is a copyrighted work owned by the International Code Council, Inc.

Trademarks: “International Code Council,” the “International Code Council” logo and the “International Property Maintenance Code” are trademarks of the International Code Council, Inc.
The law this woman was arrested under is a copyrighted work owned by a private corporation. Even the names of the law and its creators are privately owned.

If you haven't read the law, you are uninformed. If you have read the law, you're now a copyright-violating pirate.

Can see the concern:if not sufficiently able to guard against it, having make-shift versions for water and sanitation creates a public health hazard as to diseases.
Does it? What diseases were found on her property?

Can see the concern:if not sufficiently able to guard against it, having make-shift versions for water and sanitation creates a public health hazard as to diseases. Wanna live like 3rd worlders, move to the 3rd world.

I can see requiring proper disposal of wastes. I can even see some regulations concerning wells and water removal from underground.

But laws requiring a person be connected to the power grid and waterlines???

No, that goes too far.

I don't think it is about living like a 3rd worlder. But I do think it is about the freedom to live as you choose.

"This time, it’s Robin Speronis that’s come under fire. She lives off the grid in Florida, completely independent of the city’s water and electric system. A few weeks ago, officials ruled her off-grid home illegal. Officials cited the International Property Maintenance Code, which mandates that homes be connected to an electricity grid and a running water source."

I guess that means the Pilgrims, early settlers (wagon trains), mountain men, and cowboys are/were outright criminals in Florida's eyes. If I could find a way to remove myself from "the grid" I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I guess that means the Pilgrims, early settlers (wagon trains), mountain men, and cowboys are/were outright criminals in Florida's eyes. If I could find a way to remove myself from "the grid" I'd do it in a heartbeat.

There are plenty of examples of modern life compromising freedoms. Although I doubt the FL law is concerned with issues from previous centuries.

Those people would have been thrilled to tears and prayers of thanks if they ha electricity and safe water.

The issues are

(1) if my community penalizes me with a law from a private corporation, we go to court

(2) if I want to live off the grid, I need to prove that it will not affect the health and safety of the community

Last edited:

If the Pilgrims, early settlers, mountain men and cowboys had municipal codes, electricity and running water they might be criminals in Florida's eyes! But they didn't so they aren't.

I know people in Los Angeles who live off grid. They live in mansions. They have their own wells, septic tanks, solar panels and propane back up. So far, no arrests.

Submit!!

I can see requiring proper disposal of wastes. I can even see some regulations concerning wells and water removal from underground.

But laws requiring a person be connected to the power grid and waterlines???

No, that goes too far.

I don't think it is about living like a 3rd worlder. But I do think it is about the freedom to live as you choose.

Exactly. It's that last bit the gnaws at the statists. Fuck them.

"The self-sufficient woman has lived for more than a year-and-a-half using solar energy, a propane camping stove, rain water, and eating mainly non-perishable food."

There's the problem right there. They're worried her septic system will poisen the water table when it fails and overflows.

That is absolute poppycock.

People can live off the grid with proper septic and waste disposal processes. Well water is also perfectly fine in many areas.

What this regulation really involves is yet more Political Cronyism. Instead of competing in as Market Entrepreneurs, the utilities and city are colluding in Political Entrepneurism.

The former encourages competition - the latter uses the heavy hand of the government to get rid of competition.

She was arrested for violating some corporation's laws that her municipality adopted. Her sewer service was merely cut off due to her non-payment. Although, now I am driven to ask:
She used rainwater--the same rainwater that falls on everyone--and also used the public sewer service, which they deliberately cut off only recently. How did her lifestyle create a "public health hazard"?

She was arrested for violating some corporation's laws that her municipality adopted. Her sewer service was merely cut off due to her non-payment. Although, now I am driven to ask:
She used rainwater--the same rainwater that falls on everyone--and also used the public sewer service, which they deliberately cut off only recently. How did her lifestyle create a "public health hazard"?

seems like to me

that the city caused a public hazard by capping her sewer line

I find it interesting that many "conservatives" defend the actions against this woman. I guess the whole "we want smaller, less intrusive government" is a thing of the past?

I find it interesting that many "conservatives" defend the actions against this woman. I guess the whole "we want smaller, less intrusive government" is a thing of the past?
I didn't see that. As usual, there's often more to the story. Being a conservative doesn't make you anti-government. There's a role for government and they may be right or not, it's hard to say with one part of one side to go on.

Watched a show not long ago, something about people who live in odd homes, where a whole neighborhood was set up that was not dependent on any source of utility that came off their property. Water, sewer, electricity was all supplied within the homeowners own property if I remember right. They were actually living well and with little expense.

Very Interesting

I didn't see that. As usual, there's often more to the story. Being a conservative doesn't make you anti-government. There's a role for government and they may be right or not, it's hard to say with one part of one side to go on.

I would never suggest an absence of gov't. I would, however, say that requiring someone to be on the power grid and hooked on city water is an obvious overstepping of the bounds by the gov't.

Forum List

Back