[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

Watched threads now working, but I'm still not getting email notification.

Did you check the box on the "receive email when a new conv msg is received" in your contact information? Go take a look if you haven't already, if it is checked, then you should be getting them, contact CK in the Software Update thread.

My work around.

I've always kept bookmarks on my browsers bar. Typically "Subscribed Threads" and "New Posts". Create a bookmark for "Watched Threads" then change the properties so the URL it points to is "http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all". This will display all "Watched" threads both with and without unread responses.

With the two bookmarks, I can quickly access my two most used methods of checking posts.

>>>>
Or just click the 'Show All Watched Threads' link at the bottom, and bookmark that. ;)

Don't want to get into bookmarks for something the site should be able to do. :eusa_hand:

We already have the ability to scroll down; that's not the point.

Not sure we are on the same page. I have frequently used bookmarks across the top of my Firefox. One of them is USMB.com. I used the 'Show All Watched Threads' link (http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all) as my toolbar link.

So instead of using the instant scroll to the top of the page, then clicking Watched Threads, then scrolling down to the 'Show All Watched Threads' link, I just get there from my toolbar link.

I am wondering since 'watched threads' is now our UserCP if I could be coded to work like a UserCP instead of "Unread watched threads? I used my UserCP to access all the active threads I was involved in whether or not there was new activity. But now once you click on the thread it then disappears until there is more activity. I would like for it to remain there as it did in the old User CP because sometimes I want to return to it later to respond to something I didn't have time to do at the time. The 'news feed' and 'content' are very nice features that I like, but they do not serve the same purpose.

My work around.

I've always kept bookmarks on my browsers bar. Typically "Subscribed Threads" and "New Posts". Create a bookmark for "Watched Threads" then change the properties so the URL it points to is "http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all". This will display all "Watched" threads both with and without unread responses.

With the two bookmarks, I can quickly access my two most used methods of checking posts.

>>>>
I missed this post. You do basically the same thing.

Be nice to be able to select under Preferences 'show only last 10 posts' instead of 30-100. If there's a wish list, that's mine. With the infinite replies thing some of these are getting really long and loading an a page with 30 replies with a dozen replies in each of them (Ferguson threads notably) it's taking a while to load each page.
I got in the habit of selecting 40, and here 100, because my neighborhood had frequent Comcast outages, and if I opened up enough forum tabs I could keep reading until the Internet came back on.
4i6Ckte.gif

My work around.

>>>>
Or just click the 'Show All Watched Threads' link at the bottom, and bookmark that. ;)

Don't want to get into bookmarks for something the site should be able to do. :eusa_hand:

We already have the ability to scroll down; that's not the point.

Not sure we are on the same page. I have frequently used bookmarks across the top of my Firefox. One of them is USMB.com. I used the 'Show All Watched Threads' link (http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all) as my toolbar link.

So instead of using the instant scroll to the top of the page, then clicking Watched Threads, then scrolling down to the 'Show All Watched Threads' link, I just get there from my toolbar link.

I understand that, but bookmarks are a PITA that personally I only use because I have too many tabs open and might want to see that page in the future. I've got several on the top of my toolbar now -- I don't even know how they got there, but it's getting crowded.

My workaround is again to click "Watched threads" and then add "/all" to the URL. Not the easiest way it could happen but simpler than using bookmarks.

I am wondering since 'watched threads' is now our UserCP if I could be coded to work like a UserCP instead of "Unread watched threads? I used my UserCP to access all the active threads I was involved in whether or not there was new activity. But now once you click on the thread it then disappears until there is more activity. I would like for it to remain there as it did in the old User CP because sometimes I want to return to it later to respond to something I didn't have time to do at the time. The 'news feed' and 'content' are very nice features that I like, but they do not serve the same purpose.

My work around.

>>>>

I know, but putting it on the bookmark bar I can open the browser and one click to the place I want to go instead of have to navigate multiple clicks to get there.

Much more efficient. :eusa_angel:

>>>>
That's what I said.
4i6Ckte.gif

Okay, I am not a fan of the new Facebook setup.

That said; the site works flawlessly for me. As of this time, I have no misloads or other technical issues with it. AND it is way faster than the old site, the annoying lag is entirely gone.

But CK, could we please have the quote button back to wrap BB tags around hilighted text?

Be nice to be able to select under Preferences 'show only last 10 posts' instead of 30-100. If there's a wish list, that's mine. With the infinite replies thing some of these are getting really long and loading an a page with 30 replies with a dozen replies in each of them (Ferguson threads notably) it's taking a while to load each page.
I got in the habit of selecting 40, and here 100, because my neighborhood had frequent Comcast outages, and if I opened up enough forum tabs I could keep reading until the Internet came back on.
4i6Ckte.gif

You could do what I do and use a UPS. Modem's never offline :)

Mine is set to 20 posts per page, which I do remember being a Preferences setting in vBulletin. I guess those preferences carried over but I don't see a similar Preferences setting here... ?

Edit - just found it. It says I'm set to 30 posts per page which must be a default.

Last edited:

I already have it bookmarked on this computer but it would have to be done every time you change computers or devices or browsers. I just want it work like the old UserCP key and all those extra steps are eliminated.

@Foxfyre
Here's a stroke that may make it slightly easier I just figured out--
The only difference in the link for "watched threads" (that doesn't show already-read ones) and "all watched threads" (that does) is the </all> at the end of the URL. So clicking "watched" and then adding "/all" to the URL will take you there. Still an extra step but easier than going to Bookmarks.

(the Bookmark function, especially in Firefox, is a convoluted couterinuitive mess)
I guess you don't use your Bookmark Toolbar. It's great. I just drag all my frequently used onto it and it's always handy.

4i6Ckte.gif

You could do what I do and use a UPS. Modem's never offline :)

Mine is set to 20 posts per page, which I do remember being a Preferences setting in vBulletin. I guess those preferences carried over but I don't see a similar Preferences setting here... ?
No, it's not a power issue, it's a Comcast issue. I'm on a UPS right now. But because I live in an area that places a huge priority on preserving trees and canopy roads, Comcast is restricted in where they can dig and where they can run cabling. Plus we get a lot of storms and tree limbs are forever coming down, taking the internet out with it. It sucks, but whatcha gonna do?

Still haven't seen where we can cut off avatars. Is that no longer an option? It is good to have for people with weak signal strengths or limited data plans. I sometimes cut them off on sites particularly on real windy days when my connection strength gets crappy.

It is not an option.

Thanks for the response. Sucks it can't be a feature. Might just have to run some duct tape down the left side of my screen as an act of civil disobedience in protest of ramped Avatarism that is destroying our country.

The site is working faster for me now and not crashing but I still can't edit so I'm official excused from typos forever after.....;)

Lojhyfugdsghibkk lol

Watched threads now working, but I'm still not getting email notification.

Did you check the box on the "receive email when a new conv msg is received" in your contact information? Go take a look if you haven't already, if it is checked, then you should be getting them, contact CK in the Software Update thread.
I didn't do anything but it started working, received 3 emails. I have more items on my watch threads list than 3 though *shrug*

Forum List

Back