[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

My major complaint (besides the radical change to the dynamic of USMB) is the similar threads list at the bottom of the page.
I get that these threads may have similar titles, but most are long dead threads. The light blue font that shows the date of the last post lacks contrast and is difficult to read.
Staff either needs to eliminate the feature, or add a time parameter.

I don't mind those so much except that in the case of the Coffee Shop a thread started in the Flame Zone to diss the Coffee Shop and Coffee Shoppers now regularly shows up there as a 'similar thread'. And it has an offensive title on it. Sigh. It is similar to the really hateful tags mean spirited folks used to put on the Coffee Shop until C_K figured out how to remove the tags altogether for which I was really grateful. Of course now I've probably given them some ideas of how to do that again. LOL.

It was a Coffee Shop regular that bumped that thread so that it's now showing.

Peeing In The Coffee @ The USMB Coffee Shop. | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

No it was there before he responded to it. I noticed it right away. I had been unaware that thread even existed until it showed up on the 'tag' line.

He bumped it in the flame zone. Now it's going again... in the flame zone.

:D

My major complaint (besides the radical change to the dynamic of USMB) is the similar threads list at the bottom of the page.
I get that these threads may have similar titles, but most are long dead threads. The light blue font that shows the date of the last post lacks contrast and is difficult to read.

Motion seconded! It's going to create a lot of old thread resurrection and junk up the place, and ultimately the mods will find themselves busier locking threads from 2009 that somebody bumped not noticing the age.

I don't mind those so much except that in the case of the Coffee Shop a thread started in the Flame Zone to diss the Coffee Shop and Coffee Shoppers now regularly shows up there as a 'similar thread'. And it has an offensive title on it. Sigh. It is similar to the really hateful tags mean spirited folks used to put on the Coffee Shop until C_K figured out how to remove the tags altogether for which I was really grateful. Of course now I've probably given them some ideas of how to do that again. LOL.

Peeing In The Coffee @ The USMB Coffee Shop. | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

No it was there before he responded to it. I noticed it right away. I had been unaware that thread even existed until it showed up on the 'tag' line.

But nevertheless, before it was bumped, it still was showing up as a 'similar thread' at the bottom of the Coffee Shop page. It isn't just 'active threads' that are showing up as 'similar threads'.

But nevertheless, before it was bumped, it still was showing up as a 'similar thread' at the bottom of the Coffee Shop page. It isn't just 'active threads' that are showing up as 'similar threads'.

I understand. But now it's a going concern in the flame zone too. It's creating hits.

This update has made the board, for ME, basically a nightmare. It crashes I can't use most of the functions it's slow the pming thing is horrible.

This update has made the board, for ME, basically a nightmare. It crashes I can't use most of the functions it's slow the pming thing is horrible.

Did you ever get your editing function, Misty?
Have you tried another browser?

Okay suggestion to admin. @cereal_killer - Thanks to World Watcher I was able to access the section ALL WATCHED THREADS that shows all your threads with the most recent activity on top--but the thread titles don't go away once you've looked. Could you replace the WATCHED THREADS button up there with ALL WATCHED THREADS and I think that will remove a major irritation and help folks navigate more easily?

Last edited:
I am wondering since 'watched threads' is now our UserCP if I could be coded to work like a UserCP instead of "Unread watched threads? I used my UserCP to access all the active threads I was involved in whether or not there was new activity. But now once you click on the thread it then disappears until there is more activity. I would like for it to remain there as it did in the old User CP because sometimes I want to return to it later to respond to something I didn't have time to do at the time. The 'news feed' and 'content' are very nice features that I like, but they do not serve the same purpose.

Yeah and I want to second this one too. It's a PITA to have to keep scrolling down to "view all watched threads"; I need that for exactly the same reasons (GMTA Foxy). Since this thread is so active we prolly need to add @cereal_killer to draw attention to it.

This one also prolly should have had an @cereal_killer tag. I still don't know if other people see a full three-level nested quote below (first quote) unlike what I see here.

I'm gonna try this post all over again -- first try came out a train wreck....

About this ignore member list and disappearing posts... I just read this post in another thread:

Is that supposed to make up for the 100's of thousands of people he murdered for empire you stupid fucking bitch?

He didn't "murder" anybody, nor do any thing "for empire," you dishonest, hypocritical, hysterical little lefty fool.

HELL, YEAH! Well said.

However since I have one of the quoted members on Ignore, all I see in the thread is:
HELL, YEAH! Well said.

IOW it looks like a one-liner referenced to nothing. I had no idea anything was there until I quoted it, then all the other stuff shows up.

Can we somehow get some indication that there is ignored content there rather than the whole thing just vaporizing?

Note also, only one of the quoted posters is on Ignore, yet both of their posts disappear on my end.
Very confusing.

{further EDIT} -- even now, even though I've quoted the post in full the first time, only the one line shows up here. I can't even tell what I just posted because I can't see it --- all apparently because it contains the name of a single ignored member.

(The full content can be seen in quote or edit mode only)

Speaking of nested quotes, now that they've been enabled :thanks: I see that slow fade we had before no longer functions. I suppose that's an either/or thing? Because it might be handy to have both... :eusa_angel:

I just tried it and no it doesn't work. I will try a different browser but I don't have any problems with any other site on my present browser.

I just need to vent.

I just tried it and no it doesn't work. I will try a different browser but I don't have any problems with any other site on my present browser.

I just need to vent.

Perfectly understandable. Here to help. :smiliehug:

I am wondering since 'watched threads' is now our UserCP if I could be coded to work like a UserCP instead of "Unread watched threads? I used my UserCP to access all the active threads I was involved in whether or not there was new activity. But now once you click on the thread it then disappears until there is more activity. I would like for it to remain there as it did in the old User CP because sometimes I want to return to it later to respond to something I didn't have time to do at the time. The 'news feed' and 'content' are very nice features that I like, but they do not serve the same purpose.

My work around.

I've always kept bookmarks on my browsers bar. Typically "Subscribed Threads" and "New Posts". Create a bookmark for "Watched Threads" then change the properties so the URL it points to is "http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all". This will display all "Watched" threads both with and without unread responses.

With the two bookmarks, I can quickly access my two most used methods of checking posts.

>>>>
Or just click the 'Show All Watched Threads' link at the bottom, and bookmark that. ;)

I just need to vent.

Perfectly understandable. Here to help. :smiliehug:
Then return us to VBullitin, OK?

My work around.

I've always kept bookmarks on my browsers bar. Typically "Subscribed Threads" and "New Posts". Create a bookmark for "Watched Threads" then change the properties so the URL it points to is "http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all". This will display all "Watched" threads both with and without unread responses.

With the two bookmarks, I can quickly access my two most used methods of checking posts.

>>>>
Or just click the 'Show All Watched Threads' link at the bottom, and bookmark that. ;)

Don't want to get into bookmarks for something the site should be able to do. :eusa_hand:

We already have the ability to scroll down; that's not the point.

Similiar Threads have been removed and all major/minor tweaks/changes have been implemented. We've implemented a lot of users requests and we've reached the point where we feel comfortable with where we are at with the conversion. Site is running beautifully fast and its feature rich.

Time to lock this one up with requests (not close this thread). If you need further assistance/help or notice any bugs please do report them in here.

My work around.

>>>>

I already have it bookmarked on this computer but it would have to be done every time you change computers or devices or browsers. I just want it work like the old UserCP key and all those extra steps are eliminated.

It would be really cool if we could get a feature that points to similar threads. May cut down on duplicates.
There actually is one. Once you start typing a thread title it starts showing you "similar thread titles" . Might not be a bad idea

Forum List

Back