[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

Thanks. I did see one ad there earlier, and I am seeing banner ads at the top and bottom of the pages.
The quarter of the page on the right that is empty is a waste of space and reduces the functionality of the forum as thread titles are smaller than they should be.
It's only empty because you are blocking advertising.

Thanks. I have seen ads there, but only at the top of thread. And I am seeing banner ads at the top and bottom of the pages.

The people complaining about the new format being sluggish need to tweak their systems and settings on-site. I'm on a glorified calculator wristwatch of a computer and it's fine for me. p2 400, 384MBs EDO RAM, 8MB 1x agp videocard, Win98se. No speed issues here.

Go to control panel, select Preferences and try disabling the rich-text format and 'use flash' boxes. Should make a huge difference. If not, try disabling all scripts including usmb's.

Also, watch what's getting loaded every time you're loading a new page. If a lot of sites for graphics are coming up (and your browser can) try blocking images from those sites. Can be the difference between a 30s full page load of replies and a few minutes when those sites hang.

The only problem I've encountered so far was when I was trying to post in a thread and it kept giving me an error message and wouldn't let me post. That was annoying. I still haven't been back to that thread because I was so annoyed. :cheeky-smiley-018:

I had a similar experience. I was in this thread and when I went to the bottom to the area where I'm supposed to post, when I tried to click on it to start my sentence, it would not let me. I had copied something I wanted to paste in that thread and didn't want to lose it so I didn't want to go to another thread. Also, when I clicked on "Post Reply," it would tell me that I needed to write something first. :eek: Finally what I had to do was go to another thread and come back. With a refreshed page it finally let me post. It was strange.

I hope this thread is still being monitored by the fix-it folks...

When you first click the "Alerts" button, new Alerts are highlighted but only for a few seconds. It would be very helpful if Alerts remained highlighted until the were accessed (clicked).

The only problem I've encountered so far was when I was trying to post in a thread and it kept giving me an error message and wouldn't let me post. That was annoying. I still haven't been back to that thread because I was so annoyed. :cheeky-smiley-018:

I had a similar experience. I was in this thread and when I went to the bottom to the area where I'm supposed to post, when I tried to click on it to start my sentence, it would not let me. I had copied something I wanted to paste in that thread and didn't want to lose it so I didn't want to go to another thread. Also, when I clicked on "Post Reply," it would tell me that I needed to write something first. :eek: Finally what I had to do was go to another thread and come back. With a refreshed page it finally let me post. It was strange.

Yes, that is exactly what happened to me. I was trying to post a link and a snip from the link, and it wouldn't let me. I waited a while and went back and was able to post my link anyway. That was the only thread I've had issues with so far though. Since then, everything has been going pretty smoothly for me. :)

Thinking about the 'infinite replies' thing and checking it on mine, it seems to be related to the site's script. Since mine are disabled, when I hit reply only the last one (one I'm actually replying to) appears regardlessof how many others migth eb in the post.

If ya need a work-around make sure the usmb.com script permissions are 'no' Should prevent the glitch.

Too much training for a comment site. I never bothered to find out what negs and all those other frills are and I wish graphics were forbidden. Keep it simple but that's my opinion and yeah, I know, If I don't like it then hit the road jack. Just feedback on my part and thanks for the usmb ck.

My major complaint (besides the radical change to the dynamic of USMB) is the similar threads list at the bottom of the page.
I get that these threads may have similar titles, but most are long dead threads. The light blue font that shows the date of the last post lacks contrast and is difficult to read.
Staff either needs to eliminate the feature, or add a time parameter.

I am wondering since 'watched threads' is now our UserCP if I could be coded to work like a UserCP instead of "Unread watched threads? I used my UserCP to access all the active threads I was involved in whether or not there was new activity. But now once you click on the thread it then disappears until there is more activity. I would like for it to remain there as it did in the old User CP because sometimes I want to return to it later to respond to something I didn't have time to do at the time. The 'news feed' and 'content' are very nice features that I like, but they do not serve the same purpose.

I am wondering since 'watched threads' is now our UserCP if I could be coded to work like a UserCP instead of "Unread watched threads? I used my UserCP to access all the active threads I was involved in whether or not there was new activity. But now once you click on the thread it then disappears until there is more activity. I would like for it to remain there as it did in the old User CP because sometimes I want to return to it later to respond to something I didn't have time to do at the time. The 'news feed' and 'content' are very nice features that I like, but they do not serve the same purpose.

My work around.

I've always kept bookmarks on my browsers bar. Typically "Subscribed Threads" and "New Posts". Create a bookmark for "Watched Threads" then change the properties so the URL it points to is "http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all". This will display all "Watched" threads both with and without unread responses.

With the two bookmarks, I can quickly access my two most used methods of checking posts.

>>>>

My work around.

I've always kept bookmarks on my browsers bar. Typically "Subscribed Threads" and "New Posts". Create a bookmark for "Watched Threads" then change the properties so the URL it points to is "http://www.usmessageboard.com/watched/threads/all". This will display all "Watched" threads both with and without unread responses.

With the two bookmarks, I can quickly access my two most used methods of checking posts.

>>>>
Thanks. That will work for here, but I presume I'll have to do that for every browser? And on every computer I use? Well at least it works for here. I would still like a UserCP button that would do that no matter where I'm accessing the site from, but at least this helps a little bit.

Be nice to be able to select under Preferences 'show only last 10 posts' instead of 30-100. If there's a wish list, that's mine. With the infinite replies thing some of these are getting really long and loading an a page with 30 replies with a dozen replies in each of them (Ferguson threads notably) it's taking a while to load each page.

My major complaint (besides the radical change to the dynamic of USMB) is the similar threads list at the bottom of the page.
I get that these threads may have similar titles, but most are long dead threads. The light blue font that shows the date of the last post lacks contrast and is difficult to read.

I don't mind those so much except that in the case of the Coffee Shop a thread started in the Flame Zone to diss the Coffee Shop and Coffee Shoppers now regularly shows up there as a 'similar thread'. And it has an offensive title on it. Sigh. It is similar to the really hateful tags mean spirited folks used to put on the Coffee Shop until C_K figured out how to remove the tags altogether for which I was really grateful. Of course now I've probably given them some ideas of how to do that again. LOL.

Be nice to be able to select under Preferences 'show only last 10 posts' instead of 30-100. If there's a wish list, that's mine. With the infinite replies thing some of these are getting really long and loading an a page with 30 replies with a dozen replies in each of them (Ferguson threads notably) it's taking a while to load each page.

I'd prefer they see if they can set a limit on the number of quotes that are retained in the nested qoutes. 3-4 should be good enough to provide context of what is said.

>>>>

Can disable scripts to avoid reposting every reply like. Will see them though which is my thing. Or manually edit them when the box and text code appears. Labor intensive and most wont bother but it should work too. But ya, if they had it so they started collapsed, it wouldn't lag things as much. Seen the '+/-' trees in other places, shouldn't be impossible.

I don't mind those so much except that in the case of the Coffee Shop a thread started in the Flame Zone to diss the Coffee Shop and Coffee Shoppers now regularly shows up there as a 'similar thread'. And it has an offensive title on it. Sigh. It is similar to the really hateful tags mean spirited folks used to put on the Coffee Shop until C_K figured out how to remove the tags altogether for which I was really grateful. Of course now I've probably given them some ideas of how to do that again. LOL.

Those who dish dirt will always find another dish.

It was a Coffee Shop regular that bumped that thread so that it's now showing.

Peeing In The Coffee @ The USMB Coffee Shop. | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

It was a Coffee Shop regular that bumped that thread so that it's now showing.

Peeing In The Coffee @ The USMB Coffee Shop. | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum[/QUOTE]

No it was there before he responded to it. I noticed it right away. I had been unaware that thread even existed until it showed up on the 'tag' line.

Forum List

Back