Official USMB Mafia Game #4: Friends and Enemies

The more you make people talk, the more you buy yourself time to trap Scum in their words.

Grandma mentioned she was getting a tension headache. As Scum she was doing a damned good job, and it must have taken a lot to not buckle under the pressure and slip up from nervousness. Same with Aye. By quicklynching, you make it a breeze for Scum. They want the Town to kill themselves off, and the quicker the better. The more they have to explain themselves the later in the game, the more that pressure bears down on their shoulders.

What can I do better (besides not hammering when I said I would)?

One thing would be to take a pulse on the flow of the game, and if the situation requires it claim (scream) being Masons with your partner if you know the pattern in the game has been to quick-lynch crazy-quickly.

When it comes to gameplay I'm biased, and when Town I'd try to keep the Day from ending too quickly. Sometimes that means verbally punching and kicking holes into peoples' arguments in order to grab their attention and redirect them, to get them to talk, while balancing yourself so they don't decide to lynch you instead.

Not sure what other advice to give for this exact Setup: never played it before but I'd love to in the future because it's so balanced.

[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]: The TL;DR version is that I needed to step up and lead town, right?

Yes. They needed that. You've got the presence for it, too.

[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]: The TL;DR version is that I needed to step up and lead town, right?

YES!! As a fellow townie I would love to see that from you.

I would of loved to see more as a fellow scum player in the QT. Mertex and I did most of the talking and when you did give input, it was great and excellent advice. But more would of been better. Mostly because you had the experience more than we did.

I would of done that in your Mason QT also, plan how to vote, who you think is guilty or not, and when to claim. Lead the other two in the QT. That is, if Rosie would let you. :D

I loved your play at the end. I DARE anyone to claim Mason. You rocked it at the end. More of that please!!

I disagree Rosie. It's precisely because we slowed down that we had a shot this game.

On day two I was at L1 three separate times. if we were rushing I would have been lynched when grandma gave her intent at the beginning without further discussion showing she was scum.

Had the town not flash lynched Cafe we could have had much more discussion and finding Aye might have been easier.
I agree with you on that. I had forgotten that Aye raised my suspicions that she might be the other scum when she posted a long diatribe (earlier in the game) about how I was so aggressive and sounded so much like scum, yet she didn't find Grandma's posts aggressive even when she told you to ram a car part up your woowoo? That raised a red flag for me, and when I questioned her about it, she offered up some lame advice that her son was here and she hadn't had time to read all the posts, (another reason why personal stuff should not be allowed.) If we had been going slower, I would have checked out her posts and I would have remembered that. At the end, when there are only 5 people left it is a lot easier to sift through the crap they've posted and find out who sounds the scummiest.

If I hadn't hammered mani on day 1 when i did, you would have unvoted him and we might have been able to go back to FA that day.
I had also voted for FA about that time.

If Mebelle hadn't rushed a vote this last day, and let it talk itself out more the town could have figured it out. Grandma was giving out huge tells that made it obvious she was scum on the last day.
Tn, had already found Grandma to be scummy about the time I was getting red flags about Aye being so quick to vote on a Lylo.

We do need to slow down and pay attention. The more rope you give the scum the more likely they will trip up.

Exactly. And players that don't contribute or post much should be the first to be eliminated, because they don't help Town when they are town and if they are Scum, well then, Town has at least scored one.

I was very specific on when not to slow down.

Again, when there is an L-1 or an L-2 plus an L-1, do not let Scum or clueless noobs pull the "slow down" "let's be sure!" crap!

Town always mislynches when diverted to another lynch victim this way.

Are we clear WHEN not to do this?

Are we clear WHY?

Good. DON'T DO IT ANYMORE!

Thank you.

Regards from Rosie

I think what would help is taking really good notes of what certain players do and say when they're Scum.

The reason I say this is because it's difficult to try and "alter" yourself as Scum so your tells don't show for others to see.

For example, what are five things about Scum-FA_Q2 you should be on the lookout for? Scum-Rosie? Scum-Avatar?

Last edited:
I disagree Rosie. It's precisely because we slowed down that we had a shot this game.

On day two I was at L1 three separate times. if we were rushing I would have been lynched when grandma gave her intent at the beginning without further discussion showing she was scum.

Had the town not flash lynched Cafe we could have had much more discussion and finding Aye might have been easier.
I agree with you on that. I had forgotten that Aye raised my suspicions that she might be the other scum when she posted a long diatribe (earlier in the game) about how I was so aggressive and sounded so much like scum, yet she didn't find Grandma's posts aggressive even when she told you to ram a car part up your woowoo? That raised a red flag for me, and when I questioned her about it, she offered up some lame advice that her son was here and she hadn't had time to read all the posts, (another reason why personal stuff should not be allowed.) If we had been going slower, I would have checked out her posts and I would have remembered that. At the end, when there are only 5 people left it is a lot easier to sift through the crap they've posted and find out who sounds the scummiest.

If I hadn't hammered mani on day 1 when i did, you would have unvoted him and we might have been able to go back to FA that day.
I had also voted for FA about that time.

If Mebelle hadn't rushed a vote this last day, and let it talk itself out more the town could have figured it out. Grandma was giving out huge tells that made it obvious she was scum on the last day.
Tn, had already found Grandma to be scummy about the time I was getting red flags about Aye being so quick to vote on a Lylo.

We do need to slow down and pay attention. The more rope you give the scum the more likely they will trip up.

Exactly. And players that don't contribute or post much should be the first to be eliminated, because they don't help Town when they are town and if they are Scum, well then, Town has at least scored one.

You did do exactly what I expected - you went back and bolded things I said - especially about voting for Grandma and then coming back to get FA.

You did do the work, Mertex. You did have the time. You did take the time. YOU GOT IT RIGHT.

Nobody else bothered to read or understand.

When good players are consistently ignored and poor players are Scum's best friends -

- what other outcome other than Town loss can be expected?

Regards from Rosie

I think what would help is taking really good notes of what certain players do and say when they're Scum.

The reason I say this is because it's difficult to try and "alter" yourself as Scum so your tells don't show for others to see.

For example, what are five things about Scum-FA_Q2 you should be on the lookout for? Scum-Rosie? Scum-Avatar?

Avatar has changed. Everyone must start from Square One with him, as if he were a new unknown.

Regards from Rosie

Vote Count: 5.1

Mertex (LYNCH): MeBelle60♀, AyeCantSeeYou♀, Grandma♀
Grandma (1): tn5421♂
tn5421 (1): Mertex♀

Not Voting (0):

~ With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch!
~ Deadline is 8/21/14, @ 2pm central.

A majority vote has been reached!

1.1 | 1.2 | 1.3 | 1.4 | 1.5 | 1.6 | 1.7 | 1.8 | 1.9 | 1.10
2.1 | 2.2 | 2.3 | 2.4 | 2.5 | 2.6 | 2.7
3.1 | 3.2 | 3.3 | 3.4 | 3.5

Not that it matters, Wake, but I didn't vote for tn. My last vote was for Aye, but it was too late, so I should have shown under "Not voting". I checked, to be sure.....:)

[MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]

CaféAuLait;9639349 said:
CaféAuLait;9639002 said:
I was not in the clouds, Avatar read scum, given he was defending FA who I believed to be scum and then moved the wagons of you and FA to Mani made me believe he was scum even more so, protecting FA. Not to mention TN was supposed to come back to hammer, then this shifted suspicion to him and suspicion to MeBelle for refusing to vote at all. Remember it was me who stopped your suspicion about Mebelle by clueing you into the fact she was probably a mason and thus her strange voting or should I say non- voting patterns as you were all over me about why I thought she was town.
Tn's game play was scummy. His not coming back to hammer Grandma made it harder for us to zero in on Scum....made us think he was Scum. You didn't clue me that MeBelle was a Mason, you only mentioned that she and Rosie were too chummy and my initial take was that you thought they were working together as Scum. You never indicated that they might be Masons, I picked up on that on my own. You were still hanging on to Grandma's apron strings at that time.

What do you mean why didn't I push for her lynch. I led her wagon, the one that you insisted on staying with Avatar, who flipped town and MeBelle didn't even bother to vote.

Yes, Rosie made a big mistake by telling us to be sure and lynch you. We should have given you a chance to defend yourself, but by that time you had some us thinking you were Scum.

At that time we knew there were two Scum left, it didn't matter which one we got first. I didn't want to vote for Grandma because I hadn't been able to convince you that she was Scum and we would have ended up with split vote, like we did with Avatar and Grandma and probably a NL.
As far as FA, I pulled my vote as I realized we only needed 5 to lynch and not 6 as was stated in the deadline and I did not want to repeat my mistake with Avatar.

FA drew you in when started flattering you about giving him advice on Adblock. That's why you had a hard time looking at the facts and realizing he was scum. I did the same thing in Game 1 with Avatar. He kept telling me that he knew I was Town and I fell for it.

You really think FA drew me in for thanking me? That is really silly. I said over and over again on my scum lists and in my posts FA was scum. I thought FA was scum before the vote I wanted to ensure we were voting correctly, given I thought Avatar was scum defending FA. I wanted to be sure. The vote count said we needed 6 to lynch and that was wrong, we only needed 5. I asked for everyone's reasoning and I wanted to ensure it was not based off of a revenge vote from Rosie. We had 5 days left then 4, not four hours.

I was not the only person who could have changed my vote when she and Avatar were up to be lynched, there were more on Grandma. And I believed TN when he said he was coming back. If you believed Grandma to be scum, why not vote for her when you all flash lynched me? She was presenting more scummy to you than me until my name was put up. What I meant you did not push to lynch her after avatar was lynched and before my flash lynch. If you KNEW she was scum as you said, why not, instead of helping a 10 minute lynch to go through? That's what I meant about your not pushing grandma's vote. You did not even do it the last go round, instead you were going to vote TN instead of Grandma.

Yes, I do. You may not have been aware of it, but the fact that he was being positive about you and saying you definitely were town, since you were town, that must have made a subconscious positive for you. Be aware of that for the next game. Scum like to flatter Townies to get them on their side.

And, if you thought FA was Scum at first, after you voted for Avatar and he flipped town, how come when there were more of us accusing FA the next go round, he didn't seem like scum to you anymore?

As for Grandma and why I didn't vote for her. I knew she was scum, but we had two left, it didn't matter which one went first, and two were already voting for you. Going for someone that no one else is going for is not a good thing. If you can't convince others that the person you think is Scum, it does no good to insist, because sometimes you can be wrong. I made my statements about Grandma, but neither MeBelle nor tn (the two other Townies left) were picking up on it....MeBelle should have declared herself as Mason, but I'm surprised that tn didn't know she was a Mason. Maybe he wasn't participating in the night talks? If that had happened it would have been obvious then that Grandma/Aye were Scum. Maybe the next game people will keep these things in mind.

CaféAuLait;9639349 said:
Tn's game play was scummy. His not coming back to hammer Grandma made it harder for us to zero in on Scum....made us think he was Scum. You didn't clue me that MeBelle was a Mason, you only mentioned that she and Rosie were too chummy and my initial take was that you thought they were working together as Scum. You never indicated that they might be Masons, I picked up on that on my own. You were still hanging on to Grandma's apron strings at that time.

What do you mean why didn't I push for her lynch. I led her wagon, the one that you insisted on staying with Avatar, who flipped town and MeBelle didn't even bother to vote.

Yes, Rosie made a big mistake by telling us to be sure and lynch you. We should have given you a chance to defend yourself, but by that time you had some us thinking you were Scum.

At that time we knew there were two Scum left, it didn't matter which one we got first. I didn't want to vote for Grandma because I hadn't been able to convince you that she was Scum and we would have ended up with split vote, like we did with Avatar and Grandma and probably a NL.

FA drew you in when started flattering you about giving him advice on Adblock. That's why you had a hard time looking at the facts and realizing he was scum. I did the same thing in Game 1 with Avatar. He kept telling me that he knew I was Town and I fell for it.

You really think FA drew me in for thanking me? That is really silly. I said over and over again on my scum lists and in my posts FA was scum. I thought FA was scum before the vote I wanted to ensure we were voting correctly, given I thought Avatar was scum defending FA. I wanted to be sure. The vote count said we needed 6 to lynch and that was wrong, we only needed 5. I asked for everyone's reasoning and I wanted to ensure it was not based off of a revenge vote from Rosie. We had 5 days left then 4, not four hours.

I was not the only person who could have changed my vote when she and Avatar were up to be lynched, there were more on Grandma. And I believed TN when he said he was coming back. If you believed Grandma to be scum, why not vote for her when you all flash lynched me? She was presenting more scummy to you than me until my name was put up. What I meant you did not push to lynch her after avatar was lynched and before my flash lynch. If you KNEW she was scum as you said, why not, instead of helping a 10 minute lynch to go through? That's what I meant about your not pushing grandma's vote. You did not even do it the last go round, instead you were going to vote TN instead of Grandma.

Yes, I do. You may not have been aware of it, but the fact that he was being positive about you and saying you definitely were town, since you were town, that must have made a subconscious positive for you. Be aware of that for the next game. Scum like to flatter Townies to get them on their side.

And, if you thought FA was Scum at first, after you voted for Avatar and he flipped town, how come when there were more of us accusing FA the next go round, he didn't seem like scum to you anymore?

As for Grandma and why I didn't vote for her. I knew she was scum, but we had two left, it didn't matter which one went first, and two were already voting for you. Going for someone that no one else is going for is not a good thing. If you can't convince others that the person you think is Scum, it does no good to insist, because sometimes you can be wrong. I made my statements about Grandma, but neither MeBelle nor tn (the two other Townies left) were picking up on it....MeBelle should have declared herself as Mason, but I'm surprised that tn didn't know she was a Mason. Maybe he wasn't participating in the night talks? If that had happened it would have been obvious then that Grandma/Aye were Scum. Maybe the next game people will keep these things in mind.

Since he seems to have left, I'll answer this.

By saying MeBelle was Confirmed Town he was saying there was no doubt. That he knew it. That when Grandma read her as Scum at that late date he knew she was wrong.

That is what Confirmed Town means - thus the DARE you to claim Mason.

Confirmed Town means known for a fact Town.

Regards from Rosie

If someone seems to have a really bad case on someone, consider it a possible scum tell.

Scum have to make up reasons to scumread someone.

If someone drops a vote on someone out of the blue or switches around a lot, or suddenly unvotes out of the blue they could be scum.

If there are two wagons and they vote in a way that will cause a NL situation like mani and Aye both did, possible tell

Generally if a wagon forms really fast on someone, they are most likely town. See Cafe for an example.

Some things to think about for future games.

CaféAuLait;9639349 said:

By saying MeBelle was Confirmed Town he was saying there was no doubt. That he knew it. That when Grandma read her as Scum at that late date he knew she was wrong.

Regards from Rosie

Exactly. He said mebelle was confirmed fucking town. He was telling you all that she was a mason and so was he. There wasn't any doubt.

CaféAuLait;9639349 said:

Regards from Rosie

Thanks....I didn't know that, I thought he was just expressing his opinion.

CaféAuLait;9639349 said:

LOL, well you are wrong. I guess you think you seem to think you know more about my mind than I do. I stated over and over I had no issue voting for FA. I just wanted to be sure, given I had messed up on Avatar. I also stated over and over I felt he was scum.

You hung a lot on a post he made thanking me 8 or 9 posts into the game and many weeks ago. :lol:

Again let me lay it out for you.

I realized the number needed for a lynch was wrong, I pulled my vote to ensure we did not make a mistake like we did with avatar, we had 5 days left before our deadline. There is no harm in being sure. and hoping you get scum to chat to find their buddies.

I asked Wake for clarification on the vote count, its right there ,a gigantic post asking Wake did we need 5 or 6 votes, we only needed 5 to lynch.

I moved my vote to you to see if FA would move his vote back to you, - and he did. One more thing which confirmed he was scum to me. All the while stating I had no issue voting for him.

I then moved my vote to Grandma ( who I knew was scum) to test TN, since TN kept stating how upset he did not get to vote for Grandma and how he was going to vote her out next but was on FA. . He did not move his vote, making me think he was scum protecting Grandma ( again) since he never came back to hammer her.

There are reasons for play, don't assume you know why I do what I do.

Forum List

Back