Old cars suck | Change my mind

I'm thinking about swappng out the stock front bumper of my weekender to this one...

tZiMAXE.jpg

Except laguna blue, mine's not red. I have to take the front bumper off in order to put the new fog lamp assemblies in anyway. Maybe thiis winter. Probably this winter.
Its an aftermarket bumper color matched to your vet?

Ive been thinking about changing my grille from this...

20190904_084725-jpg.173449

to this...

hg-hc16si3p-bk-01-jpg.54334

Those Beetles were great
Inexpensive, fun to drive, easy to maintain
Worst car ever sold in the United States. They did nothing well except "cute" and should have been euthanized twenty years before they finally were.
You missed the Yugo

People still love their Bugs....they are still on the road
The Yugo was a better car than the VW.
Welp, we know someone doesn't like VWs........ :lol:

They did nothing well except "cute". Slow, poor-handling, poor-braking, unheated death traps, a relic that is closer to a Model A than anything post-WW2 but was sold into the 1970s. It should have been euthanized by 1960 at the latest.
Yeah, yeah.

What year is your car? Paint starts to fade after a number of years. Your bumper could end up being brighter than the rest of the car.

A 1990. But the paint on it is fresh, less than a year old. That's why I have the paint for it. That could still happen, I suppose. Between now and winter, I may very well decide on a whole new color completely. The blue was okay this year. Mayeb keep it blue for another year, maybe not. Depends on my mood and my health. I managed to get the interior completely restored over the summer, so I'm glad about that.

What year is your car? Paint starts to fade after a number of years. Your bumper could end up being brighter than the rest of the car.

A 1990. But the paint on it is fresh, less than a year old. That's why I have the paint for it. That could still happen, I suppose. Between now and winter, I may very well decide on a whole new color completely. The blue was okay this year. Mayeb keep it blue for another year, maybe not. Depends on my mood and my health. I managed to get the interior completely restored over the summer, so I'm glad about that.
Youre probably fine if its just a year old. Are you painting it yourself?

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
/—-/ Why would anyone waste a second trying to change your mind? Who cares what you like?

Exactly. Goodboy seems hell bent on comparing apples and oranges while rationalizing his desire to own an uber-expensive super high tech car. The thing is that cars of old were designed on STYLING and beauty, then government regulations forced them into efficiency so they began looking at wind drag and all kinds of other things resulting in the modern car which basically all look the same.

But on beauty, breeding and class alone, it sure is hard to beat a 1935 Bugatti.

View attachment 278639

Imagine having this to cruise around in, in 1935 when others were still cruising around in Model T Fords. That was the life.
This one was a real Doozy!

1931 Duesenberg Model J

17551467-1989-duesenberg-roadster-thumb.jpg

Why, that tired old clunker with its outdated suspension and poor handling! A menace to the highway! That is probably why if you were actually lucky enough to own a Duesenberg today, it would be stopping cars and turning heads everywhere you went. Bottom line: few cars today will still be so admired, valued and collected 100 years after the fact, much less be the reference standard of excellence (it's a Doozy). ;)

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

/—-/ Why would anyone waste a second trying to change your mind? Who cares what you like?

Exactly. Goodboy seems hell bent on comparing apples and oranges while rationalizing his desire to own an uber-expensive super high tech car. The thing is that cars of old were designed on STYLING and beauty, then government regulations forced them into efficiency so they began looking at wind drag and all kinds of other things resulting in the modern car which basically all look the same.

But on beauty, breeding and class alone, it sure is hard to beat a 1935 Bugatti.

View attachment 278639

Imagine having this to cruise around in, in 1935 when others were still cruising around in Model T Fords. That was the life.

1931 Duesenberg Model J

Why, that tired old clunker with its outdated suspension and poor handling! A menace to the highway! That is probably why if you were actually lucky enough to own a Duesenberg today, it would be stopping cars and turning heads everywhere you went. Bottom line: few cars today will still be so admired, valued and collected 100 years after the fact, much less be the reference standard of excellence (it's a Doozy). ;)
Im not into Hermez, or brown cars, but this car will be admired, valued and collected in 100 years. Its a well known car in the supercar community and it is the only one in the world. It is the epitome of master craftsmanship. How he convinced Hermez and Pagani to team up and design him a car, ill never know.

Watch this video. Its actually really interesting.

View attachment 278639

1931 Duesenberg Model J

Im not into Hermez, or brown cars, but this car will be admired, valued and collected in 100 years. Its a well known car in the supercar community and it is the only one in the world. It is the epitome of master craftsmanship. How he convinced Hermez and Pagani to team up and design him a car, ill never know.

Watch this video. Its actually really interesting.

I've never seen Brown look better. ;)
Leave it to a guy to own a supercar like that for four years and not even know it comes with luggage compartments and luggage. o_O

I'm thinking about swappng out the stock front bumper of my weekender to this one...

tZiMAXE.jpg

Except laguna blue, mine's not red. I have to take the front bumper off in order to put the new fog lamp assemblies in anyway. Maybe thiis winter. Probably this winter.
/—-/ Don’t mess with perfection. Leave the fog lamps off.

Yeah, but the fog lights are stock. I'm just replacing them because they're starting to lose their luster and probably better to just swap em out while the bumper is off. I already have em, I just haven't wanted to take the bumper off twice, I'd rather do it all in one shot over the einter months.

Yeah, but the fog lights are stock. I'm just replacing them because they're starting to lose their luster and probably better to just swap em out while the bumper is off. I already have em, I just haven't wanted to take the bumper off twice, I'd rather do it all in one shot over the einter months.
I get the appeal of wanting your car to look different from everyone elses.

For all you guys that say Volkswagons suck, you do realize that they are one of the easiest cars to customize and upgrade, right? I wouldn't mind owning any of these.........

upload_2019-9-15_16-45-13.jpeg

upload_2019-9-15_16-45-26.jpeg

images

I both disagree and agree with the OP.

For a daily driver, I want a newer car. They are superior in almost every way. The only thing an old car can boast, as far as superiority, is that you could work on them yourself.

For all the other reasons you own a car, the old cars are great.

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

I completely agree. Old cars suck. They are, in many ways more stylish looking. However, when it comes to braking, handling, safety, and many other metrics, they are complete garbage.

For all you guys that say Volkswagons suck, you do realize that they are one of the easiest cars to customize and upgrade, right? I wouldn't mind owning any of these.........

View attachment 279474

View attachment 279475

images
Yeah...but it's still a Volkswagen. It rattles, shakes, and sounds like you are being propelled by a continuous fart. Plus, they are uglier than homemade soap.

Forum List

Back