Old cars suck | Change my mind

In my younger days, I dreamed of going to Moab and riding the Slickrock Trail on a mountain bike.

Now? I'm too old for the rigors of mountain biking, and am just a road bike person now.
They do nutty stuff on bikes out there. There are some scary videos.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I did lots of stupid stuff on both road and mountain bikes. Whenever my friends and I went out for mountain biking, it wasn't considered a successful ride unless we had at least an inch of mud caked on our bikes and bodies.

Matter of fact, around this time back in 1994, I rented a car in Providence, RI, drove it down to Jacksonville FL, and rode a bicycle from Jacksonville FL back to Newport RI. 3 of those days I was riding in some serious rain as a tropical storm was crawling up the coast with me.
Wow, thats a serious ride!

Well, from around late summer 1986 until around mid summer 1997, I didn't own a car and rode a bike every where I went. First long trip was from Memphis TN to Jacksonville FL when I transferred, and I wanted to see if I could ride the 700 mile distance. When I found out that I could, I resolved to see if I could ride to each of my next duty stations, and did 3 different times.

Memphis TN - Jacksonville FL 7 days.
Jacksonville FL - Newport RI, 12 days.
Newport RI - Norfolk VA, 5 days.

During that time I also commuted back and forth to work. When I lived in Memphis, the commute was 7 miles each way. Jacksonville was 12 miles each way (but also had a longer route going home for training purposes), and Newport was only 3 1/2 miles each way, but every evening, I would ride the Ocean Drive on my way home, turning it into a 15 mile ride.

Yeah. At one time I was a serious cyclist, and was fast as hell. Been clocked at 66 mph going downhill, 54 drafting off of a garbage truck, could hit 48 for up to 1/2 a mile if I was sprinting for the finish line, and had an average cruising speed of 22 to 25 mph, constant.

One year, I was ranked 20th in the city of Memphis for amateur bike riders.
Damn! You were definitely good on a bike. Going 64 mph on a bike is a terrifying thought!

Interesting thing happens when you get up into the higher speeds on a bicycle. At 60 mph and below, you get the normal road buzz and vibrations. At around 61 mph, your wheels will start to shimmy at a high rate of speed and it will last until you hit 63. Above 63 mph? It's smooth as glass. And, same thing happens when you start to slow down, speed shimmy happens from 62 until you hit 60, and then it's back to regular road buzz.

You know, while I wouldn't mind a car with upgrades like suspension and disc brakes, that is about as far as I would want to take it with a resto mod.

Like I said, a non computerized engine is much easier to work on, and, if something bad DOES happen like an EMP, those will be the only engines that will be left working. All the others will be fried.

And, if you don't get all the computer things taken care of when you first build one, it won't work. I saw an episode on Velocity one time where they were trying to put a modern engine into an old car, and they had a hell of a time tricking the computer into working with the older transmission and electric system.

You know, while I wouldn't mind a car with upgrades like suspension and disc brakes, that is about as far as I would want to take it with a resto mod.

Like I said, a non computerized engine is much easier to work on, and, if something bad DOES happen like an EMP, those will be the only engines that will be left working. All the others will be fried.

And, if you don't get all the computer things taken care of when you first build one, it won't work. I saw an episode on Velocity one time where they were trying to put a modern engine into an old car, and they had a hell of a time tricking the computer into working with the older transmission and electric system.
Old dashboards look awful and their stereos systems obviously suck. Those old seats are also bouncy and uncomfortable.

I can respect the ease of maintenence on older engines, but the rest needs to be restomodded, in my opinion.

qI0XyvB.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

That's just ugly. What are ya gonna do, exit the thing in a cape and a mask? Gosh.

Feel sorry for kids these days that have to drive cars that cant take minor contact without needing major repair.
Do they have demo derbies anymore....probably not with pop can cars of today

That's just ugly. What are ya gonna do, exit the thing in a cape and a mask? Gosh.

Not only are they strange looking, but they are also useless for anything other than driving from place to place. You can't get groceries, or take along more than 1 passenger.

Gimmie the Mach 1 Mustang convertible that is in the post above.
If you own a Pagani, you have other cars you can use when you have more than one passenger.

No car on earth is better made than a Pagani. The designer/owner of Pagani literally put carbon fiber on the bottom of the seats because, and i quote... "one day the owner will drop his keys, and when he fishes them out from under there, i want it to look beautiful".

All of them are handbuilt and no 2 are the same. Its a work of art. Horacio Pagani is the Da Vinci of our age. Hes a master artist and car designer, and he makes the finest carbon fiber in the world. He has mastered 3 trades that usually take a lifetime to perfect.

Last edited:
I really dig those paper bags. Gonna have to try to look for those. Do they sell em in the grocery stores? I can't stand those plastic ones.

My mom had an old bug in the 80s - 90s, when I would come back to Colo Springs to visit I'd drive that thing everywhere. It was fun especially in the winter in empty parking lots........ :lol:
Heaters on those things sucked

Everything sucks on every VW
Those Beetles were great
Inexpensive, fun to drive, easy to maintain
Worst car ever sold in the United States. They did nothing well except "cute" and should have been euthanized twenty years before they finally were.
You missed the Yugo

People still love their Bugs....they are still on the road
The Yugo was a better car than the VW.

Heaters on those things sucked

Those Beetles were great
Worst car ever sold in the United States. They did nothing well except "cute" and should have been euthanized twenty years before they finally were.
You missed the Yugo

Welp, we know someone doesn't like VWs........ :lol:

Those Beetles were great
You missed the Yugo

He seems to hate everything. :laugh:

Those Beetles were great
You missed the Yugo

They did nothing well except "cute". Slow, poor-handling, poor-braking, unheated death traps, a relic that is closer to a Model A than anything post-WW2 but was sold into the 1970s. It should have been euthanized by 1960 at the latest.

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
/—-/ Why would anyone waste a second trying to change your mind? Who cares what you like?

Exactly. Goodboy seems hell bent on comparing apples and oranges while rationalizing his desire to own an uber-expensive super high tech car. The thing is that cars of old were designed on STYLING and beauty, then government regulations forced them into efficiency so they began looking at wind drag and all kinds of other things resulting in the modern car which basically all look the same.

But on beauty, breeding and class alone, it sure is hard to beat a 1935 Bugatti.

View attachment 278639

Imagine having this to cruise around in, in 1935 when others were still cruising around in Model T Fords. That was the life.
This one was a real Doozy!

1931 Duesenberg Model J

17551467-1989-duesenberg-roadster-thumb.jpg

I'm thinking about swappng out the stock front bumper of my weekender to this one...

tZiMAXE.jpg

Except laguna blue, mine's not red. I have to take the front bumper off in order to put the new fog lamp assemblies in anyway. Maybe thiis winter. Probably this winter.

Forum List

Back