Old cars suck | Change my mind

In reality my next dream vehicle is a Ural.......

d446413470c39de2268cace94ad92348.jpg

Now I'll sit back and wait for the nay-sayers to arrive........ :D

I have an old BMW R12 with a side car
They look very similar

You know I spend a lot of time watching Velocity and a lot of the car building shows they do on it.

And, I've figured out that if I decide to buy another car someday, it's gonna be an older model that doesn't have a computer in it. Why? Because if that day ever comes when a nuke war is unleashed, the cars without the computers are going to be the only ones that will still work.

Besides, I don't like the thought of having to use a computer to diagnose an engine. My Grandfather could listen to an engine for around 30 sec. and know exactly what was wrong with it and what needed to be done to fix it.

I'm looking for an older pick-up, mid '60s to early '70s... an FJ45 would be my preferred... I'd settle for an FJ40...

iu

iu

a VW bug or micro-bus wouldn't necessarily suck...

Love the FJ40 and I wish Toyota would come out with a new one. Not a FJ Cruiser but a real Jeep Wrangler type vehicle.

You know I spend a lot of time watching Velocity and a lot of the car building shows they do on it.

And, I've figured out that if I decide to buy another car someday, it's gonna be an older model that doesn't have a computer in it. Why? Because if that day ever comes when a nuke war is unleashed, the cars without the computers are going to be the only ones that will still work.

Besides, I don't like the thought of having to use a computer to diagnose an engine. My Grandfather could listen to an engine for around 30 sec. and know exactly what was wrong with it and what needed to be done to fix it.

I'm looking for an older pick-up, mid '60s to early '70s... an FJ45 would be my preferred... I'd settle for an FJ40...

iu

iu

Love the FJ40 and I wish Toyota would come out with a new one. Not a FJ Cruiser but a real Jeep Wrangler type vehicle.

Agreed. I currently drive a 2007 (first model year) FJ Cruiser. I love it. I get offers for it frequently... but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a FJ40 or 45. I learned to drive in a 1967 FJ40 with three on the tree... loved that rattle trap...

I found a restoration shop in Florida... just waiting for my lottery numbers to come up... then I'll be making a phone call... stock engine please, keep the patina...

Land Cruisers for restoration - The FJ Company

Last edited:

iu

iu

Yeah the Cruiser was a real disappointment after all the hupla Toyota made. I watched an idiot take a brand new one on the Rubicon trail once and before it was over it was a worthless, broken and mangled pile of junk. It was nothing more than a soccer mom mobile from the get go. You can't see out of the damned things either. It's like riding around in a cave.

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

Well mine is a 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler with 206,000 miles on it. Half its life was spent in the Colorado Rockies, and doubled as a daily driver and weekend rock crawler. No tie rods broke, and only normal maintenance required. I did replace one water pump. Yes, anecdotal, but my experience, and it's still running strong with the same clutch.

Unless it's really built, I bet I could take that thing to a trail not thirty minutes from my house and it would be broken inside of a morning or afternoons wheeling. If it's stock, it wouldn't last an hour.
Rattletrap is the best rock crawler | Change my mind

That was not made in Detroit. Well maybe the body was but that's all. Like my truck, nothing from the frame down came out of the Toyota factory and a lot of the drive train is different too.
BTW I've wheeled all of the same trails and obsticals in Moab where that clip was filmed, several times.

I would LOVE to go to MOAB and do the devils hot tub, etc.

In my younger days, I dreamed of going to Moab and riding the Slickrock Trail on a mountain bike.

Now? I'm too old for the rigors of mountain biking, and am just a road bike person now.

In my younger days, I dreamed of going to Moab and riding the Slickrock Trail on a mountain bike.

Now? I'm too old for the rigors of mountain biking, and am just a road bike person now.
They do nutty stuff on bikes out there. There are some scary videos.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I did lots of stupid stuff on both road and mountain bikes. Whenever my friends and I went out for mountain biking, it wasn't considered a successful ride unless we had at least an inch of mud caked on our bikes and bodies.

Matter of fact, around this time back in 1994, I rented a car in Providence, RI, drove it down to Jacksonville FL, and rode a bicycle from Jacksonville FL back to Newport RI. 3 of those days I was riding in some serious rain as a tropical storm was crawling up the coast with me.

When I was in my 20's and 30's, I did lots of stupid stuff on both road and mountain bikes. Whenever my friends and I went out for mountain biking, it wasn't considered a successful ride unless we had at least an inch of mud caked on our bikes and bodies.

Matter of fact, around this time back in 1994, I rented a car in Providence, RI, drove it down to Jacksonville FL, and rode a bicycle from Jacksonville FL back to Newport RI. 3 of those days I was riding in some serious rain as a tropical storm was crawling up the coast with me.
Wow, thats a serious ride!

Well, from around late summer 1986 until around mid summer 1997, I didn't own a car and rode a bike every where I went. First long trip was from Memphis TN to Jacksonville FL when I transferred, and I wanted to see if I could ride the 700 mile distance. When I found out that I could, I resolved to see if I could ride to each of my next duty stations, and did 3 different times.

Memphis TN - Jacksonville FL 7 days.
Jacksonville FL - Newport RI, 12 days.
Newport RI - Norfolk VA, 5 days.

During that time I also commuted back and forth to work. When I lived in Memphis, the commute was 7 miles each way. Jacksonville was 12 miles each way (but also had a longer route going home for training purposes), and Newport was only 3 1/2 miles each way, but every evening, I would ride the Ocean Drive on my way home, turning it into a 15 mile ride.

Yeah. At one time I was a serious cyclist, and was fast as hell. Been clocked at 66 mph going downhill, 54 drafting off of a garbage truck, could hit 48 for up to 1/2 a mile if I was sprinting for the finish line, and had an average cruising speed of 22 to 25 mph, constant.

One year, I was ranked 20th in the city of Memphis for amateur bike riders.

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
You are correct on all counts.

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

Well mine is a 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler with 206,000 miles on it. Half its life was spent in the Colorado Rockies, and doubled as a daily driver and weekend rock crawler. No tie rods broke, and only normal maintenance required. I did replace one water pump. Yes, anecdotal, but my experience, and it's still running strong with the same clutch.

Unless it's really built, I bet I could take that thing to a trail not thirty minutes from my house and it would be broken inside of a morning or afternoons wheeling. If it's stock, it wouldn't last an hour.

That was not made in Detroit. Well maybe the body was but that's all. Like my truck, nothing from the frame down came out of the Toyota factory and a lot of the drive train is different too.
BTW I've wheeled all of the same trails and obsticals in Moab where that clip was filmed, several times.

It's a really fun place to wheel although some of the cool stuff like Lions Back is no longer avaliable.
I was lucky enough to do it before it was gone. Lion's Back wasn't hard but it did have some built in pucker factor.
I think Escalator is off limits now too.

It's a really fun place to wheel although some of the cool stuff like Lions Back is no longer avaliable.
I was lucky enough to do it before it was gone. Lion's Back wasn't hard but it did have some built in pucker factor.

You know, in my younger days, I would have been attacking the place with a mountain bike, but I would never be crazy enough to try to drive a vehicle down some of these places. Those 4wd trails are INSANE!

You know, in my younger days, I would have been attacking the place with a mountain bike, but I would never be crazy enough to try to drive a vehicle down some of these places. Those 4wd trails are INSANE!

Funny thing almost every time I went we wound up hauling a crashed mountain biker back to town and the hospital.

Well, from around late summer 1986 until around mid summer 1997, I didn't own a car and rode a bike every where I went. First long trip was from Memphis TN to Jacksonville FL when I transferred, and I wanted to see if I could ride the 700 mile distance. When I found out that I could, I resolved to see if I could ride to each of my next duty stations, and did 3 different times.

Memphis TN - Jacksonville FL 7 days.
Jacksonville FL - Newport RI, 12 days.
Newport RI - Norfolk VA, 5 days.

During that time I also commuted back and forth to work. When I lived in Memphis, the commute was 7 miles each way. Jacksonville was 12 miles each way (but also had a longer route going home for training purposes), and Newport was only 3 1/2 miles each way, but every evening, I would ride the Ocean Drive on my way home, turning it into a 15 mile ride.

Yeah. At one time I was a serious cyclist, and was fast as hell. Been clocked at 66 mph going downhill, 54 drafting off of a garbage truck, could hit 48 for up to 1/2 a mile if I was sprinting for the finish line, and had an average cruising speed of 22 to 25 mph, constant.

One year, I was ranked 20th in the city of Memphis for amateur bike riders.
Damn! You were definitely good on a bike. Going 64 mph on a bike is a terrifying thought!

Yeah, that looks technically easy, but still super sketchy.

Forum List

Back