Old cars suck | Change my mind

Unless it's really built, I bet I could take that thing to a trail not thirty minutes from my house and it would be broken inside of a morning or afternoons wheeling. If it's stock, it wouldn't last an hour.
Rattletrap is the best rock crawler | Change my mind

That was not made in Detroit. Well maybe the body was but that's all. Like my truck, nothing from the frame down came out of the Toyota factory and a lot of the drive train is different too.
BTW I've wheeled all of the same trails and obsticals in Moab where that clip was filmed, several times.

I would LOVE to go to MOAB and do the devils hot tub, etc.

It's a really fun place to wheel although some of the cool stuff like Lions Back is no longer avaliable.
I was lucky enough to do it before it was gone. Lion's Back wasn't hard but it did have some built in pucker factor.
I think Escalator is off limits now too.

Yeah, that looks technically easy, but still super sketchy.

It just looks a lot worse than it is. Funny thing, my first trip up that thing was with a friend driving his truck. He'd un locked his hubs to get turned around at the top. Space is limited up there. Anyway he started back down and forgot to lock them back up so he was in 2WD. He started slippin and sliding around and his girl friend was screaming her lungs out. I got on the radio to find out what to hell was up and h4ed figured it out. He locked them up and the ride down was uneventful but his and his girlfriends knees were sure knocking.
They're married with two or three kids today.

This after him driving her brand new Tacoma off the slide of that very same obstacle from about 30 feet up. It landed on it's nose sticking straight up. No one was hurt but It totaled the truck and he got into a whole lot of trouble because he'd been drinking. We'd all been trying to get him to stop drinking and driving and that little episode finally did the trick. Drinking and rock crawling isn't just silly, it's just plain stupid. It's hard enough cold stone sober.

Last edited:
I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.

Say what?

This 1970 Lamborghini Countach is still ahead of its time.

View attachment 278644
That looks like a doorstop on wheels.

My girlfriend's dad had one of those he picked up for my girlfriend's brother (my best friend at the time). We spent more time working on it than actually driving it. It was 1970-71, I was in HS in Colorado Springs at the time before we moved to Taiwan.
I dated a girl that had one
Had the same engine and transmission as a Beetle

Fun little car to drive, but so was a Beetle

Didn’t see any more maintenance problems you didn’t see on other VWs
My mom had an old bug in the 80s - 90s, when I would come back to Colo Springs to visit I'd drive that thing everywhere. It was fun especially in the winter in empty parking lots........ :lol:
Heaters on those things sucked

Everything sucks on every VW
Those Beetles were great
Inexpensive, fun to drive, easy to maintain
Worst car ever sold in the United States. They did nothing well except "cute" and should have been euthanized twenty years before they finally were.

Pure junk as are all English made cars. They were junk long before Americans began making junk. Now there are no English car companies of any note remaining. The same route American brands are following. Today Chrysler brands are actually Fiat and that is truly lame. A note of ironey is that previous English brands are now either German or funnier still Indian owned. How's that for revenge?

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

LOL you bring welding equipment with you or you light a flare like MacGyver

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed

I have had no cell service in sight of an interstate highway-means nothing.

Underhood welders are nothing remarkable on hard-core 4x4s.

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Modern
nameplate by original nationality
The BMW is sweet but when it comes German I lean VW/Audi
Japs Toyota

American Dodge Chrysler always edges it out for me

classic
youre a gay communist if you dont dig a 67 Eldorado ..

If you can find a 67 eldorado with the bucket seats and center console BUY it

Your post is lacking one major issue... people don't buy old cars like the '55 Caddy in your post, which I would cut my left nut off for, they buy them as COLLECTORS now.

Normally I like new cars, but right now I have an older car (mercedes) and I love it. It is starting to need a bit of restoring though.

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed

Dude bragging that your tie rods break when you go off road so often that you need a welder is retarded. Rock climbing is dangerous now you watch this video and see if you can figure out what happens when a tie rod breaks. Seriously if the rods break you either need better rods or a better balanced vehicle made for what you are doing.

Really when a rod breaks you just weld it up

Your post is lacking one major issue... people don't buy old cars like the '55 Caddy in your post, which I would cut my left nut off for, they buy them as COLLECTORS now.
Id sell it as fast as i could and get something cool.

There's very few cars on the planet as "COOL" as a '55 Caddy. It's a COLLECTOR, not a DAILY DRIVER.

Modern
Japs Toyota

classic

Eldorado sucks because it is wrong wheel drive.

Dude bragging that your tie rods break when you go off road so often that you need a welder is retarded. Rock climbing is dangerous now you watch this video and see if you can figure out what happens when a tie rod breaks. Seriously if the rods break you either need better rods or a better balanced vehicle made for what you are doing.

Stop listening to the voices in your head. Respond to what I ACTUALLY POSTED, not what the mouse in your pocket told you I posted.

Modern
Japs Toyota

classic

Eldorado sucks because it is wrong wheel drive.

well than dont buy one for your gay communist garage

I dated a girl that had one
Had the same engine and transmission as a Beetle

Fun little car to drive, but so was a Beetle

Didn’t see any more maintenance problems you didn’t see on other VWs
My mom had an old bug in the 80s - 90s, when I would come back to Colo Springs to visit I'd drive that thing everywhere. It was fun especially in the winter in empty parking lots........ :lol:
Heaters on those things sucked

Everything sucks on every VW
Those Beetles were great
Inexpensive, fun to drive, easy to maintain
Worst car ever sold in the United States. They did nothing well except "cute" and should have been euthanized twenty years before they finally were.
Oh hell no!! I'd love to have an old bug especially on that has been converted to a Kubelwagon.

Kubel40-940x529.jpg

We had one when I was reenacting WWII, it was fun to drive and no, it's not The Thing which is a piece of junk. I would pull GI Jeeps out of the mud with it, that thing would go just about anywhere!

Stop listening to the voices in your head. Respond to what I ACTUALLY POSTED, not what the mouse in your pocket told you I posted.

Man I wish I had a cheap

There's very few cars on the planet as "COOL" as a '55 Caddy. It's a COLLECTOR, not a DAILY DRIVER.
I bet if you pulled up in that, the people around would stop looking at it the moment i pulled up in this masterpiece...

qI0XyvB.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

I bet if you pulled up in that, the people around would stop looking at it the moment i pulled up in this...

qI0XyvB.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I can tell you're not a real car person.

Forum List

Back