Old cars suck | Change my mind

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

LOL you bring welding equipment with you or you light a flare like MacGyver

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed

I have had no cell service in sight of an interstate highway-means nothing.

Underhood welders are nothing remarkable on hard-core 4x4s.
Dude bragging that your tie rods break when you go off road so often that you need a welder is retarded. Rock climbing is dangerous now you watch this video and see if you can figure out what happens when a tie rod breaks. Seriously if the rods break you either need better rods or a better balanced vehicle made for what you are doing.

Really when a rod breaks you just weld it up

Hey you, brainless illiterate dumb ass, learn to read. I said I've welded a lot of tie rods on Jeeps, not my tie rod. I have my tie rod mounted up high and out of the way. I also run high pinion differentials so the drive shafts are up high and away from the rocks.
The welder I have is used mostly on other peoples rigs. I think I've used it on my junk exactly once and it's a pain because I have to reverese the polarity from normal to weld on my own junk.
However in a pinch you can also use a couple of car batteries connected in series to weld with. It works rather well in fact. For MIG welding anyway but not for stick.

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
Your post is lacking one major issue... people don't buy old cars like the '55 Caddy in your post, which I would cut my left nut off for, they buy them as COLLECTORS now.
Id sell it as fast as i could and get something cool.
There's very few cars on the planet as "COOL" as a '55 Caddy. It's a COLLECTOR, not a DAILY DRIVER.
I bet if you pulled up in that, the people around would stop looking at it the moment i pulled up in this...

qI0XyvB.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I can tell you're not a real car person.
That isnt a good argument against what i just said.

However in a pinch you can also use a couple of car batteries connected in series to weld with. It works rather well in fact. For MIG welding anyway but not for stick.
WHAT? Are you kidding? Do you know what MIG stands for? It stands for METAL INERT GAS. You can't weld MIG without ARGON, and you can't do that with a CAR BATTERY, OR TWO. A stick, yes, maybe... MIG... aaaahh... NO. I've been welding for DECADES, even did production welding at one point, and I OWN BOTH a MIG and a stick.

Your post is lacking one major issue... people don't buy old cars like the '55 Caddy in your post, which I would cut my left nut off for, they buy them as COLLECTORS now.
There's very few cars on the planet as "COOL" as a '55 Caddy. It's a COLLECTOR, not a DAILY DRIVER.
I bet if you pulled up in that, the people around would stop looking at it the moment i pulled up in this...

qI0XyvB.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
There is no "argument." The two cars are in totally different classes. One is a high end COLLECTOR, the other is a modern SUPER CAR. They aren't even in the same category.

A gear head would know that.

qI0XyvB.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
There is no "argument." The two cars are in totally different classes. One is a high end COLLECTOR, the other is a modern SUPER CAR. They aren't even in the same category.

A gear head would know that.
Collectors drool over this Pagani Huarya BC a hell of a lot more than a 55 Caddy. Old Caddys arent even remotely as rare as this supercar. Also, you said there are few cars as cool as a 55 Cadillac, then i posted pictures of a car that is WAY cooler.

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

LOL you bring welding equipment with you or you light a flare like MacGyver

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed

I have had no cell service in sight of an interstate highway-means nothing.

Underhood welders are nothing remarkable on hard-core 4x4s.
Dude bragging that your tie rods break when you go off road so often that you need a welder is retarded. Rock climbing is dangerous now you watch this video and see if you can figure out what happens when a tie rod breaks. Seriously if the rods break you either need better rods or a better balanced vehicle made for what you are doing.

Really when a rod breaks you just weld it up

BTW this video shows a pretty easy, nothing spectacular or particularity hard or challenging, straight forward climb. It's all in the way the rig was built and equipped. I've done harder, much harder.

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
I had a 59 Ford Fairlane that did 110 and the pedal was not even to the metal. Car could move.

WHAT? Are you kidding? Do you know what MIG stands for? It stands for METAL INERT GAS. You can't weld MIG without ARGON, and you can't do that with a CAR BATTERY, OR TWO. A stick, yes, maybe... MIG... aaaahh... NO. I've been welding for DECADES, even did production welding at one point, and I OWN BOTH a MIG and a stick.

Asshole, have you never heard of flux core? You're way out of your class here so you'd do well to STFU right now.

Asshole, have you never heard of flux core? You're way out of your class here so you'd do well to STFU right now.
^ That made me laugh. Thanks! :laugh:

^ That made me laugh. Thanks! :laugh:
You're welcome.

Are you that STUPID, MOTHER FUCKER? You have no idea what in the FUCK you're talking about, YOU DUMBASS MORON. You are NOT WELDING MIG if you're welding with a flux core wire... you IGNORANT COCK SUCKER, because there is NO GAS... as in METAL INERT GAS... GAS... ARGON... GET IT? GAS, you BRAINLESS BASTARD.

Get a clue or SHUT THE FUCK UP... ass clown.

Last edited:

Are you that STUPID, MOTHER FUCKER? You have no idea what in the FUCK you're talking about, YOU DUMBASS MORON. You are NOT WELDING MIG if you're welding with a flux core wire... you IGNORANT COCK SUCKER.

Fucking morons are everywhere. I'd lay odds that you're a demodumbass too.

Are you that STUPID, MOTHER FUCKER? You have no idea what in the FUCK you're talking about, YOU DUMBASS MORON. You are NOT WELDING MIG if you're welding with a flux core wire... you IGNORANT COCK SUCKER.

You're talking over your head, TWIT... you should STFU before you embarrass yourself some more about how much you DON'T KNOW.

You're talking over your head, TWIT... you should STFU before you embarrass yourself some more about how much you DON'T KNOW.
I dont know man, Dick Foster seems to know his shit, especially when it comes to welding.

I dont know man, Dick Foster seems to know his shit, especially when it comes to welding.
Then you have pretty piss poor judgement. I've been SPECIFIC about my welding knowledge, he's just talked SHIT.

You're talking over your head, boy... you should STFU before you embarrass yourself some more about how much you DON'T KNOW.

Hey you, shitforbrains I've done this shit a lot, it's not talk, it's what I do and have done for some years now. Get a clue you're way out of your depth here and in over your head.

I

Then you have pretty piss poor judgement. I've been SPECIFIC about my welding knowledge, he's just talked SHIT.
Doubt you could even strike an arc, loud mouth.

There's both my welders, a Lincoln Electric 140C MIG and a Century 230 amp A/C stick... I've been welding for decades and know WTF I'm talking about...

NOW LET'S SEE YOUR'S... WISE GUY...

20190911-213742.jpg

I

Doubt you could even strike an arc, loud mouth.
giphy.gif

Forum List

Back