Old cars suck | Change my mind

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
Your post is lacking one major issue... people don't buy old cars like the '55 Caddy in your post, which I would cut my left nut off for, they buy them as COLLECTORS now.
/——-/ In June, I took the LIRR to Floral Park NY late at night. When I crossed the street , this was parked in the street. It was strange thing to see.
22116AA2-CCB9-41A6-B0FD-0EDA3BF629A5.jpeg

I really dont like old cars that are stock. With the exception of muscle cars from the 60s, and maybe a few from the 70s, im not interested in old cars at all. If it isnt a restomod, its awful.

For starters, old cars are unreliable. There was once a time when 100,000 miles meant your car was ready for a graveyard. They just didnt hold up, even if you maintained them.

Secondly, they arent safe. They handle terribly and their brakes are atrocious. They have no business being on the road with modern cars. We have enough deaths on our roads as it is.

Third, and most importantly, they dont perform well at all. You cant corner effectively, and they arent fast (by todays standards). For about $2,000, you can tune up a friggin Ford Focus to easily outperform the baddest cars from the past (top speed, quarter mile, track times, etc).

Ok, this is old and in super good condition, but its shape is silly...

9ec908d34080f5c565c666d3424849af.jpg

For the money you probably spent to buy that ^, you could buy this BMW 8 Series Coupe.

ac-schnitzer-bmw-8-series-coupe-1.jpg

If you had 100 grand to spend on a car, would it be on an old classic? Come on man. Dont tell me you wouldnt take the Beamer.

Old cars suck, change my mind.
Your post is lacking one major issue... people don't buy old cars like the '55 Caddy in your post, which I would cut my left nut off for, they buy them as COLLECTORS now.
Id sell it as fast as i could and get something cool.
/—-/ And any decent collector would read your disdain and low ball you. He’d get the 55 for a song. My wife’s uncle was that way, in 1978 he traded his pristine, always garaged 57 Chevy in for a new Caddy. It was his retirement gift to himself. He bragged the dealer gave him $75 as s trade in, I begged him not to, even offered him more money, but he said nobody wants old cars. I showed him auction prices but said it wasn’t possible his old car was worth money.

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed

I have had no cell service in sight of an interstate highway-means nothing.

Underhood welders are nothing remarkable on hard-core 4x4s.
Dude bragging that your tie rods break when you go off road so often that you need a welder is retarded. Rock climbing is dangerous now you watch this video and see if you can figure out what happens when a tie rod breaks. Seriously if the rods break you either need better rods or a better balanced vehicle made for what you are doing.

Really when a rod breaks you just weld it up

Hey you, brainless illiterate dumb ass, learn to read. I said I've welded a lot of tie rods on Jeeps, not my tie rod. I have my tie rod mounted up high and out of the way. I also run high pinion differentials so the drive shafts are up high and away from the rocks.
The welder I have is used mostly on other peoples rigs. I think I've used it on my junk exactly once and it's a pain because I have to reverese the polarity from normal to weld on my own junk.
However in a pinch you can also use a couple of car batteries connected in series to weld with. It works rather well in fact. For MIG welding anyway but not for stick.

Welding tie rods is the dumbest and most dangerous thing I can imagine, in any situation. Again you said you have an underhood welder to fix your piece of shit jeep tie rods on the trail. A smarter thing to do would be to install quality tie rods before going on the trail for anyone. Seriously however thanks for the knowledge that jeeps have this serious tie rod problem and should not be off road for any reason, they also should not be on the road for any reason. There is a reason that Chrysler went bankrupt twice, you know it but can't connect the dots.

You have no idea what the hell you're blathering about. Put a sock in it.

I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed

Dude bragging that your tie rods break when you go off road so often that you need a welder is retarded. Rock climbing is dangerous now you watch this video and see if you can figure out what happens when a tie rod breaks. Seriously if the rods break you either need better rods or a better balanced vehicle made for what you are doing.

Hey you, brainless illiterate dumb ass, learn to read. I said I've welded a lot of tie rods on Jeeps, not my tie rod. I have my tie rod mounted up high and out of the way. I also run high pinion differentials so the drive shafts are up high and away from the rocks.
The welder I have is used mostly on other peoples rigs. I think I've used it on my junk exactly once and it's a pain because I have to reverese the polarity from normal to weld on my own junk.
However in a pinch you can also use a couple of car batteries connected in series to weld with. It works rather well in fact. For MIG welding anyway but not for stick.

Welding tie rods is the dumbest and most dangerous thing I can imagine, in any situation. Again you said you have an underhood welder to fix your piece of shit jeep tie rods on the trail. A smarter thing to do would be to install quality tie rods before going on the trail for anyone. Seriously however thanks for the knowledge that jeeps have this serious tie rod problem and should not be off road for any reason, they also should not be on the road for any reason. There is a reason that Chrysler went bankrupt twice, you know it but can't connect the dots.

Why would any rational human go rock climbing with tie rods that break knowing that the loss of control could cause death?

The fact is that your cheap is a piece of krap and you have accepted this as normal.

I test drove a jeep liberty once, it pulled hard to the right, I told the owner it needed alignment. I went home and did some research and it turns out they all pull to the right and there is no fix.

Or, it's a piece of shit

Google it

Why would any rational human go rock climbing with tie rods that break knowing that the loss of control could cause death?

The fact is that your cheap is a piece of krap and you have accepted this as normal.

I test drove a jeep liberty once, it pulled hard to the right, I told the owner it needed alignment. I went home and did some research and it turns out they all pull to the right and there is no fix.

Or, it's a piece of shit

Google it

/----/ "there is no fix"
If it's mechanical there is always a fix - you might not want to spend the $$$ but it can be fixed. i.e. New front end from a different make or model.

Or, it's a piece of shit

Google it

Or, it's a piece of shit

Google it

/----/ "there is no fix"
If it's mechanical there is always a fix - you might not want to spend the $$$ but it can be fixed. i.e. New front end from a different make or model.

Nope there was no fix, aligning did not fix this and some replaced all the parts then aligned and the same thing happened. I cant see how the safety board let this be on the road

Or, it's a piece of shit

Google it

/----/ "there is no fix"

Dealers told owners that it was supposed to pull to the right, really

LOST JEEPS • View topic - Pulling to the Right Normal?

The OP didn't really define what he meant by 'Old cars'
Heck, many people consider last years models as "OLD"

Personally I don't particularly like newer cars because they are designed specifically to force you to keep shoveling cash at their dealers.
Lots of really nice features, sure, but the more sophisticated the electronics, the shorter the lifespan imo.

That said, I might try one of the C8's.

Personally I don't particularly like newer cars because they are designed specifically to force you to keep shoveling cash at their dealers.
Lots of really nice features, sure, but the more sophisticated the electronics, the shorter the lifespan imo.

Anyone buying a c8 should either be rich or not care that the engine was moved and may not work

Anyone buying a c8 should either be rich or not care that the engine was moved and may not work

Poor man's high end sports car. Pretty amazing what GM did though.
Sadly, they locked down the computers with heavy encryption so modding it might be a bitch until someone cracks the encryption.

A lot of bang for the buck regardless....I like "quick" things......(be nice) lol

Poor man's high end sports car. Pretty amazing what GM did though.
Sadly, they locked down the computers with heavy encryption so modding it might be a bitch until someone cracks the encryption.

A lot of bang for the buck regardless....I like "quick" things......(be nice) lol
It may turn out to be just fine, but moving the engine is a big deal. GM should have been testing these for at least 5 years not just do it because no one is buying the Camaro anymore

OMG Yes!

I dated a girl that had one
Had the same engine and transmission as a Beetle

Fun little car to drive, but so was a Beetle

Didn’t see any more maintenance problems you didn’t see on other VWs
My mom had an old bug in the 80s - 90s, when I would come back to Colo Springs to visit I'd drive that thing everywhere. It was fun especially in the winter in empty parking lots........ :lol:
Heaters on those things sucked

Everything sucks on every VW
Those Beetles were great
Inexpensive, fun to drive, easy to maintain
Worst car ever sold in the United States. They did nothing well except "cute" and should have been euthanized twenty years before they finally were.
You missed the Yugo

People still love their Bugs....they are still on the road

My wife had a 1989 CRX we kept for at least 12 years, that thing was a blast to drive. It was so low to the ground you climbed down into it which gave it amazing cornering abilities at high speeds. The one major drawback was because it was so low to the ground and relatively small, like motorcycles other drivers just didn't always see it so one had to be on the defensive all the time.

crx1.jpg

That was one sweet little car.

Last edited:
My mom had an old bug in the 80s - 90s, when I would come back to Colo Springs to visit I'd drive that thing everywhere. It was fun especially in the winter in empty parking lots........ :lol:

Those Beetles were great
Worst car ever sold in the United States. They did nothing well except "cute" and should have been euthanized twenty years before they finally were.
You missed the Yugo

Holy moly! I forgot about the Yugo.
My wife had a 1989 CRX we kept for at least 12 years, that thing was a blast to drive. It was so low to the ground you climbed down into it which gave it amazing cornering abilities at high speeds. The one major drawback was because it was so low to the ground and relatively small, like motorcycles other drivers just didn't always see it so one had to be on the defensive all the time.

crx1.jpg

Awesome story. It was my dream car in the 80s. What kind of mileage did you get?

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.

There are a lot of people on here that have no idea of what they are talking about but are more than willing to run off at the mouth anyway. Why?
They also can't read or comprehend worth a crap. I think I know the answer to that one though.

Those Beetles were great
You missed the Yugo

Holy moly! I forgot about the Yugo.

crx1.jpg

Awesome story. It was my dream car in the 80s. What kind of mileage did you get?
Oh hell, I don't remember. The funny thing is my wife had never driven a stick before, her brother drove it off the lot and I had to teach her how to drive it...... :lol:

Or, it's a piece of shit

Google it

So the sum total of your experience is test driving a Jeep Liberty once yet you feel qualified to run your big mouth incessantly about a topic with which you have absolutely NO experence.
I'm no expert but my opinion is that you have shit for brains and you're doing your level best to prove it to the world.
BTW while Jeep Wranglers are probably the most popular vehicle seen on off road trails, I don't think I've even seen a Libertty offroad.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back