Olympic Arms, Inc. bans all sales to the State of New York Government

Again, this sort of thing is hilarious to me.

Did Olympic Arms have any contracts with New York law enforcement before? And what point do they think they're making? It's not like there aren't plenty of other companies that make AR15s and 1911s.

Denying their company lucrative government contracts doesn't seem to effect anyone but themselves.

You are so right, none of the hundreds of thousands of people who work for the government ever shopped in that store before.

Explaining the point would require you to understand English.

Olympic Arms isn't a "store". It's a gun manufacturer.

Explaining that point would require that you actually read the article, though.

And it is telling every dealer that carries its product that they cannot sell one of their weapons to any government employee in the State of New York. For some un-fucking-knowable reason you think that this only affects government contracts, even though one idiotic poster spent half the thread arguing that, since they don't have government contracts, this won't bother anyone, even though they are the only manufacturer in the country that actually makes AR-15s.

Do you get the point yet?

What part of compliance with federal import laws and restrictions don't you understand? If it is OK with the Federal laws, a state can do business with the foreign companies in question.

If those companies are not privately owned they are controlled by a foreign power.

It doesn't matter if the company is owned by Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, and the Devil. If the Federal Government says it is OK to trade with them, it's OK to trade with them. The state isn't the one making treaties or trade agreements. that is handled at the federal level.

Not true.

For example, the federal government has no problem with anyone doing business with the state of Arizona, but the city of Berkeley refuses to have any business with them.

Another example, the California pension fund is looking to divest itself of anything that is even remotely connected with gun manufacturing or sales, even though the federal government says that both are legal.

It doesn't matter if the company is owned by Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, and the Devil. If the Federal Government says it is OK to trade with them, it's OK to trade with them. The state isn't the one making treaties or trade agreements. that is handled at the federal level.

I've already said they would have to get permission, or did you miss that part?

Two questions then: When was the last time a state was turned down by the federal government? Why would a state try to purchase from a forbidden source when there are so many legitimate approved trade partners and vendors?

The last time I can remember was when Texas tried to buy oil from Canada. I am pretty sure there were others since then, would you like me to look them all up to rub your face in it, or would you prefer to simply admit you are wrong?

Two questions then: When was the last time a state was turned down by the federal government? Why would a state try to purchase from a forbidden source when there are so many legitimate approved trade partners and vendors?

When was the last time a vendor suspended sales to the government ?

Good question. It is usually the Government deciding who can and can't be a supplier to the government. But then, there is no evidence that they ever were a vendor to the State of NY. But, if they don't want to deal with the government and preemptively take themselves off the list, so be it. There's plenty more where they came from.

There's plenty more where they came from.

That list keeps getting longer and we are also working on Ammo manufactures
Company's such as Hornady and Black Hills ammo

I've already said they would have to get permission, or did you miss that part?

Especially a vendor that actually makes a product that the government really likes, unless said vendor is selling it to non government employees.

Good question. It is usually the Government deciding who can and can't be a supplier to the government. But then, there is no evidence that they ever were a vendor to the State of NY. But, if they don't want to deal with the government and preemptively take themselves off the list, so be it. There's plenty more where they came from.

I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet that New York has bought AR-15s in the past. Feel free to prove me wrong if you like.

The thing you seem to be missing is that, just because they don't sell directly to New York, since they are actually are the only company that makes the product that the state buys, the state just got cut off.

You are so right, none of the hundreds of thousands of people who work for the government ever shopped in that store before.

And it is telling every dealer that carries its product that they cannot sell one of their weapons to any government employee in the State of New York. For some un-fucking-knowable reason you think that this only affects government contracts, even though one idiotic poster spent half the thread arguing that, since they don't have government contracts, this won't bother anyone, even though they are the only manufacturer in the country that actually makes AR-15s.

There are close to 30 manufacturers in the US that make AR-15 variants and several foreign makers do too. There are lots of other tactical weapons that could be used by police agencies. They aren't limited to AR-15 rifles.

the funny thing to me in all this is that in all the oppression they want to accomplish in this gun controll thing is making gun buyers pay for their background check when buying a gun, but when it comes to voting its too expensive to buy an ID for the citizens. The poor who probably would have to save just to buy a gun to defend themselves get completely excluded when the background check comes in to the price, the poors self defense is obviously less important then the ability to vote for them unchecked.

There are close to 30 manufacturers in the US that make AR-15 variants and several foreign makers do too. There are lots of other tactical weapons that could be used by police agencies. They aren't limited to AR-15 rifles.

Never said they were, just making the point that it is going to make a difference to an idiot that thinks it won't, especially when a cop needs to get a part for his current weapon.

Never said they were, just making the point that it is going to make a difference to an idiot that thinks it won't, especially when a cop needs to get a part for his current weapon.

You were contending that Olympic Arms was the only maker of AR-15 rifles. I pointed out that there are close to 30 makers of the AR-15 variants and clones in the US alone. If they can't get their weapons and parts from Olympic, they can go to plenty of other vendors. If a cop can't get a part for his current weapon, I'm sure the department would issue him another one. No biggie.

As far as I've been able to tell, there are only 4 distributors in NY that carry Olympic Arms.

And they are most certainly not the only manufacturer of AR15s - technically, only guns made by ArmaLite are "AR15s", but Olympic Arms (which is NOT ArmaLite) is one of 30-40 companies in the US that make the rifles. Generally, most parts are interchangeable between different company's models.

Correction: Colt owns the trademark "AR-15", not ArmaLite.

Also, not Olympic Arms.

According to this link the New York contract has been extended to October 2013.

So Olympic Arms and LaRue Tactical have had no contract with New York state since at least November 2007 and through October of this year.

That's with the state. Not local levels.

Here's what Olympic said:
Due the passing of this legislation, Olympic Arms would like to announce that the State of New York, any Law Enforcement Departments, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders within the State of New York, or any New York State government entity or employee of such an entity - will no longer be served as customers.

Key words, "will no longer".

This implies the state is their customer and they are stopping.

Since the State of New York is not actually a customer, Olympic Arms blew their credibility. So I doubt any other level of government in New York is their customer, either.

Your reading comprehension is truly abysmal. They will no longer sell to the state or any employees thereof. I'n sure many NY cops have Olympic Arms products.

You were contending that Olympic Arms was the only maker of AR-15 rifles. I pointed out that there are close to 30 makers of the AR-15 variants and clones in the US alone. If they can't get their weapons and parts from Olympic, they can go to plenty of other vendors. If a cop can't get a part for his current weapon, I'm sure the department would issue him another one. No biggie.

They are the only maker of the AR-15. As you pointed out, other manufacturers, like Bushmaster, make copies or knockoffs of them. If you don't understand the difference between a copy and an original why am I even talking to you?

By the way, Olympic Arms is known for its conversion kits to mate parts from different manufacturers so they work together. I didn't know that until a gun friend told me.

All those kits just dried up for New York also.

Last edited:

As far as I've been able to tell, there are only 4 distributors in NY that carry Olympic Arms.

And they are most certainly not the only manufacturer of AR15s - technically, only guns made by ArmaLite are "AR15s", but Olympic Arms (which is NOT ArmaLite) is one of 30-40 companies in the US that make the rifles. Generally, most parts are interchangeable between different company's models.

Technically, ArmaLite does not make AR-15s, they make M-15s.

They are the only maker of the AR-15. As you pointed out, other manufacturers, like Bushmaster, make copies or knockoffs of them. If you don't understand the difference between a copy and an original why am I even talking to you?

By the way, Olympic Arms is known for its conversion kits to mate parts from different manufacturers so they work together. I didn't know that until a gun friend told me.

All those kits just dried up for New York also.

The only maker of AR-15 rifles and carbines is Colt, who owns the trademark. Olympic makes knockoffs like all the other 30 odd manufacturers. If Olympic doesn't want to deal, there are plenty of other places to go.

Forum List

Back